Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

The NHL 2K10 patch list has been posted.

Quote:
GAMEPLAY
• Fixed soft crash with referee not dropping the puck when playing with slower speed settings.
• Retuned the default sliders to make gameplay faster.
• Retuned the speed for acceleration and launches, allowing the user to break out mid launch.
• Players can now speed burst during crossover animations.
• Pinning has now been made easier, and can be initiated with the check button at slower speeds.
• Stick sweeps and poke checks retuned to more accurately knock the puck away when hitting the puck or stick rather than the puckhandler.
• Retuned shot velocity on rebounds and loose pucks.
• Retuned one-timer animations so players closer to the net will now deflect the puck rather than take slap shots.
• One-timers are now more difficult and will be missed more often if the player isn’t in good position.
• Briefly disable loose shots when sweeping your stick without the puck and then gaining possession.
• Penalties are slightly reduced globally.
• Retuned how the AI clears the puck on Penalty Kills.
• Reduced the number of diving poke checks done by goalies.
• Retuned defensive AI related to blue line pressure and defensive zone play.
• AI will now better react to drop passes.
• Slightly increased the aggressiveness of the AI in their own offensive zone if they are on a penalty kill.
• More aggressive behaviors for offensive players after the puck enters the attacking zone.
• User should now have better control over the player when in a shot block animation.
• Players will now help out more in a pinning situation.
• AI is more aggressive on defense during odd man rushes.

• Fixed de-sync related to custom soundtracks in online games.
• Made default online difficulty harder in unranked games.
• Add ability to sign in to cooperative franchise games from the Team Select screen, allowing for multiple users to play from the same console.
• Fixed OT Losses not tracking correctly in online play.
• Allow custom sliders to be used in unranked matches.
• Fixed the bug where you will randomly gain control of the goalie in Team Up mode.
• Fixed the issue so that users will always maintain the same color during Team Up mode.
• Fixed the issue with the speed burst bar / player icon flickering in Team Up mode.
• Fixed a disconnect issue that occasionally occurred while the server was down.
• Fixed an occasional disconnect problem in league games when line changes are made.
• Fixed an issue that would cause league games to sometimes abort at the end of the loading screen.
• Fixed an issue when the leader of a Pick-Up party leaves the party in the lobby.

GENERAL
• Reduced puck shadow size by 20%.
• In Reelmaker, added the ability to turn off the cursor like in replay (hit both bumpers simultaneously).
• Fantasy Drafts now reset all player glove colors to team color instead of custom.

NHL 2K10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 2K10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Boilerbuzz @ 11/17/09 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Yeah but you're presenting logic which generally doesn't compute to people. I've been consistantly saying the lack of marketing since coming to next gen would eventually turn things the other way if the gameplay wasn't up to snuff (which it certainly hasn't been). EA stepped up, made an argueably better game and markets their titles as well as any publisher in the business. Oh and the key thing? EA now listens to the fan base and communicates and tries to make the game better. 2k you need a pass from Obama with a presidential seal on it to get any info prior to a week from store shelves pratically.

I also find it absolutely hilarous that people try to paint TakeTwo/2k as this small time little player. The're right at the top 5 when it comes to game publishers, GTA and Bioshock among other properties like the Civilization series have made them bundles of money. The're not this broke lil underdog people like to claim. If they wanted to support PS3 users they could, its just the game has failed at retail due to that same lack of marketing and the game not being where it should be at this point 5 years into this generation that makes it not cost effective to do a patch for the whole 1000 people if that, that purchased the PS3 version.
Too bad Take Two doesn't invest the same amount of money in 2K Sports as they do in Rockstar now, huh? You would have a point if that were the case. But, apparently, it's not. I'm sure that if the game sold more, they'd be willing to SPEND more on it. But the state of the product is such that you have to wonder - why throw good money after bad.

if you REALLY think that this patch would increase sales of the game, then lets see what happens with the 360. If the sales improve, I would bet they would do a PS3 patch. If not, I really don't see why they should continue to make a game that people obviously do not want.

I'm one of the very few people that prefer 2K over NHL 10. That's not to say I think it's better overall (2K is piss poor on features). But I think it plays a better game of hockey for a casual hockey guy like me. So I could be way off base due to ignorance. I do know this - competition is good for the genre. EA is pushing 2K after 4 years of 2K pushing EA. It would be a shame if that were to end. But why should 2K throw money at a title that's not selling? I know I wouldn't.

# 82 original6 @ 11/17/09 07:54 PM
Wow, I'm amazed at how many people here work at 2k games and know what's going on inside their operations and as to why there isn't a PS3 patch in the works at the moment..................
(Note: This is directed at those of you who do NOT work at 2k games and seem to think you know exactly what's going on.)

# 83 Dook517 @ 11/18/09 06:24 AM
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this or if it's even feasible but can't they at least release some limited patch for PS3 users. At least fix the skating and control responsiveness. Sometimes it's like being in slider hell with this game. I can accept that they have their reasons for not releasing the patch described above for PS3 at the moment but at least try to make the game a little more playable for those who might not get a chance to see the fixes the Xbox users will see.

# 84 FlyingFinn @ 11/18/09 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
After the patch it will be.
NHL 2K10 is NO console seller that's for sure... Patch or no patch.

# 85 devilsjaw @ 11/18/09 08:18 AM
Quote:
They said that is was the support or lack of support from the consoles.
Except for the fact that the same company (Visual Concepts) released patches for NBA2k10 and MLB 2K9 on PS3. If it was purely lack of support from Sony, then how did those patches make it out? Oh, probably because they sold more, right.

Which means because NHL2K sold the least on PS3 of any other systems (PS2 included, which outsold the 360 btw), they didn't want to spend the cash that Sony charges them for a low number of customers that bought this version. I'd expect that number to dwindle some more after this nonsense.

And the talk that a patch can be 'successful' and sell more copies of the game is ludicrous. The game has been out for 2 months. The people that really wanted to get already have. I've never heard of anyone, for any type of game, buy it because they heard there was a kick-*** patch that made the game more enjoyable. The fact is this game doesn't sell enough, even overall, compared to other sports games and sadly I can see it going the way of their college hoops franchise. Hell, I'd rather them cancel this game and bring back the college hoops game, it would probably sell more.

# 86 savoie2006 @ 11/18/09 10:12 AM
Quote:
And the talk that a patch can be 'successful' and sell more copies of the game is ludicrous. The game has been out for 2 months. The people that really wanted to get already have. I've never heard of anyone, for any type of game, buy it because they heard there was a kick-*** patch that made the game more enjoyable. The fact is this game doesn't sell enough, even overall, compared to other sports games and sadly I can see it going the way of their college hoops franchise. Hell, I'd rather them cancel this game and bring back the college hoops game, it would probably sell more.
The thing is, people do decide to buy games later alot of times. They will get frustrated and or tired of one game and then decide to buy the other. If the patch is a success and makes the people that already own the game happy, that word will spread when people ask if the game is worth buying. Yeah, the MLB and NBA series recieved patches for the PS3 and yeah they bring in alot more money, but who said that all these games have the same people in charge? Finally College Hoops only went away because the team couldn't afford the licensing, which I'm sure costs more than the NHL.

# 87 adayinthelife @ 11/18/09 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
The thing is, people do decide to buy games later alot of times. They will get frustrated and or tired of one game and then decide to buy the other. If the patch is a success and makes the people that already own the game happy, that word will spread when people ask if the game is worth buying. Yeah, the MLB and NBA series recieved patches for the PS3 and yeah they bring in alot more money, but who said that all these games have the same people in charge? Finally College Hoops only went away because the team couldn't afford the licensing, which I'm sure costs more than the NHL.
Very few people buy games later, especially sports games. Most of the people who do pick up games at a much later date pick up used copies of said games, which don't reflect in sales numbers for companies like 2k.

I can see sales having a minor boost at Christmas but that's about it. The only other boost may come at playoff time but again, those would be like 90% used sales.

I was confused back in August when there was such little info on this game. I was even more confused when they made the decision to not release a demo after having such a ****ty year in 2k9, and EA releasing one hell of a demo for NHL 10. I'm now somehow even more confused than that at this decision. It just seems like they do the opposite of whatever seems logical over there..

# 88 savoie2006 @ 11/18/09 06:20 PM
We can argue this all day long, but only 2K knows what's going on and why. We can assume and speculate all we want, but that's all it is. I personally feel the series is on the right track finally(thanks to VC). As long as they can continue what they have started, I think the game is gonna be quite solid again. As it is, 2K10 is better than anything Kush released for next gen, so I'm happy.

# 89 Flyermania @ 11/18/09 09:17 PM
It is a shame that 2k does not communicate with their fan base, both in pre-release marketing as well as their post-release actions (or lack thereof as in this situation). It's all connected, as poor communication/marketing contributed heavily to lower sales, which ultimately weighed in as a large factor to the PS3 getting the shaft again. Not a good way to do business, but that's the bed they made and now they have to sleep in it.

It's too bad as I know several long-time 2k fans (including myself) who consider this to be the last straw. Why should we continue to support them when it isn't reciprocated? Why not communicate with the gaming community and their customers? 2k used to lead the pack as far as customer interaction with hockey gamers...just another area that has taken a nose dive.

# 90 savoie2006 @ 11/19/09 05:44 AM
Quote:
I still say if you make a great game people will buy it!
I concur, look at NBA 2K10. Didn't have near the marketing that NBA Live did, but it still sells better. Most of why 2K Hockey has taken a nose dive lately is, the subpar next gen outings 2K7-2K9, and yes EA. EA's Skill Stick took hockey gamers by storm. That and the overall improvement of the series, has made people think much less of 2K's games. If EA's game hadn't made the strides it has made over the last several years, 2K would not be looked at near as harshly. Plain and simple as soon as 2K starts to steadily improve(should they last that long), the series won't need a heavy marketing scheme. Game support on the other hand, is a must.

# 91 kornsined @ 11/19/09 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
I concur, look at NBA 2K10. Didn't have near the marketing that NBA Live did, but it still sells better. Most of why 2K Hockey has taken a nose dive lately is, the subpar next gen outings 2K7-2K9, and yes EA. EA's Skill Stick took hockey gamers by storm. That and the overall improvement of the series, has made people think much less of 2K's games. If EA's game hadn't made the strides it has made over the last several years, 2K would not be looked at near as harshly. Plain and simple as soon as 2K starts to steadily improve(should they last that long), the series won't need a heavy marketing scheme. Game support on the other hand, is a must.
Gets tiresome when we all say this every year. The next year's game is "the one". I will admit 2k10 has made strides, finally. Too little too late? Seems it getting clearer every day.

# 92 savoie2006 @ 11/20/09 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornsined
Gets tiresome when we all say this every year. The next year's game is "the one". I will admit 2k10 has made strides, finally. Too little too late? Seems it getting clearer every day.
Well, the sad thing is, as nit picky as sports fans are about their games, the top notch game will NEVER come. Especially when it comes to NHL, but alot that is due to how hard the sport is to replicate. If you ask me both series have a long way to go, 2K just has further, due mostly to the switch in developers and restart of sorts.

# 93 Flyermania @ 11/21/09 10:24 AM
Realm, while NHL10 is better in some areas it still has a LONG way to go as well. That game has its own lion share of issues, and some of them are due to a regression in the offline CPU AI. NHL10's goalies are in need of a complete overhaul IMO.

# 94 adayinthelife @ 11/21/09 12:00 PM
Each game needs work in different areas, everyone can agree on that. The difference is the EA people communicate with those who play their game both before, and after release. They make tweaks, they make patches and they do it for all the platforms they released to game on.

2k has been half-assing everything the past few years. The only sports games I don't really play are basketball and while I've heard it's still the king, the general consensus seemed to be that it's not really progressing that much. EA gets hated on all the time for doing this, and rightly so, but in this case I think it's quite the opposite.

It's been mentioned in this thread and I can't agree with it more: if 2k made a patch for MLB 2k9 and released it on PS3, how can they shaft PS3 users on this game? There's no way that game sold many (if any, seriously) copies on the PS3 with the Show being around..

# 95 Santino @ 11/21/09 12:21 PM
I just got a game update, anyone else?

# 96 original6 @ 11/21/09 01:58 PM
Yep. Don't know what it was for though. I thought I noticed more/easier board pinning and smoother skating, but probably just in my head. A bit too early for a gameplay patch, imo. Most likely an online fix or something.

# 97 jhordwell @ 11/21/09 02:05 PM
Quote:
Quite honestly using the development change is sort of a crutch excuse to begin with.
Quite honestly, you don't know what happened.

Kush imploded, VC didn't scrap them. VC had no choice but to take over development for NHL2k9, and time was short. They had to allocate a team for that and the first thing they noticed was that Kush was not using VC's code libraries. 2k8 was a pretty good game, but was coded poorly. The game's code was not maintainable by the VC team. The best foot forward was to start rewriting the game, instead of building on a messy foundation.

I was told NHL uses the NBA engine now. It'll only get better from here on.

# 98 TDKing @ 11/21/09 02:05 PM
For the 3 people that are still playing this game its been confirmed the patch has been released.

# 99 savoie2006 @ 11/21/09 05:02 PM
Quote:
its obvious your a fanboy, not that its a bad thing but take your FANBOYISM to the other forum.
He's not a fanboy, just a bitter former 2K guy who made the switch to EA. I do agree though, the same arguments over and over are getting tiresome. Now that the patch is out, hopefully it makes most of the 360 owners happy.

# 100 jhordwell @ 11/21/09 06:18 PM
Quote:
No I realize that, The NBA "engine" is the same engine at its core that the whole line has been since they were Sega Sports titles. If you've played enough of the 2k series over the years, be it NFL, NHL, NBA whatever, there's this certain "feel or vibe" thats pretty much been there since the dreamcast days along with reoccuring AI behavors and persistant issues that have also been there since the dreamcast days. Sure there's been a graphical renderer update or two along the way but if you honestly believe NHL2k9 and 2k10 both don't reuse code from previous iterations of the series be it 2k8 or prior then I have a bridge to sell you real cheap.

Considering the NHL2k series has changed development teams 3 times in the last 7 years doesn't help matters much either.
I said a lot of code was rewritten because Kush's code could not be maintained. I never said they wrote a new engine. Nearly 3 months were spent rewriting code due to Kush not following certain protocol.

That feel/vibe you're describing is always going to be there and it's why some prefer one game over the other.

EA's game felt the same for years and years until 09, and even then there's still a lot of the same old issues, like catch-up-goals to make up for poor AI.

And btw, C.Hoops was pulled because they broke off talks with the CLC. It had nothing to do with sales. There was a statement about this. Stop making things up.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.