Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

Kotaku and Pasta Padre have both posted articles on Take-Two blaming MLB 2K9 for losses.

Quote:
"The rest of Take-Two's bad news is financial. The company expects fourth quarter and fiscal year 2009 to be below guidance due to "the performance of its Major League Baseball titles in the fourth quarter" and "lower than expected initial performance of several of its key holiday releases."

Major League Baseball 2K9 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Jamin23 @ 12/04/09 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckhoss29
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6241967...dlines;title;5

Here is another article that just points to how the take 2 losses are directly related to paying such a high price for their exclusive deal. I just hope they put out a playable game this year.
Me too.

# 22 Jamin23 @ 12/05/09 09:41 PM
Most stadiums fill up on a nightly basis.

# 23 brendanrfoley @ 12/05/09 10:43 PM
Ratings don't tell the entire story, as well. Ratings for all of the major sports (with the exception of the NFL) are down this year. That doesn't mean NASCAR, MLB or NBA are "losing interest."

It just means people have more to chose from out there and are taking advantage. Baseball is healthy and doing well. Which is more than can be said for Take2.

Shareholders should have taken the EA offer a year and a half ago.

# 24 Kearnzo @ 12/06/09 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Locke
You guys do realize that the 2008 World Series was the lowest rated ever right? It went up with the Yankees back.

Baseball is a sport that is losing interest with the youth of America. It had been declining in TV ratings.

I watch baseball, love playing video game baseball but I clearly see baseball as a sport that is fading rather than gaining interest.

Attendance and whatever else you want to state is great but the vibe I get is baseball is losing interest with the youth of America. I can't think of the last time I or any of my friends got together to watch the world series....
A 'vibe' + no interest from friends = a dying sport.

# 25 kingdevin @ 12/06/09 11:30 AM
Take 2/Sega - desperate times call for desperate measures. I've said before that they should partner up w/Konami and make an MLB game. If anyone has seen/played Pro Yakyu Spirits then u might understand how this type of partnership could actually HELP Take 2 and Sega make a better title esp since they have failed to produce a quality MLB game to compete with the Show. Its ironic that the company that sought the MLB deal has the weakest product!!!

# 26 metal134 @ 12/06/09 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMaster B
Not sure why MLB can't see that the game sucks and open up the license for everyone.
They can see it, but the thing is that the MLBPA does not care if the game is good or bad, only sales. That being said, the sales are a problem. And as others have said, if things don't turn around sales-wise, this exclusive license may go by the wayside. However, before people get too excited at the thought, realize that there is a very real possibilty, nay, probablity, that if that happens, someone else will snatch up the license.

# 27 Jamin23 @ 12/06/09 01:41 PM
I dream of the day when we have almost 10 different baseball games to choose from.

# 28 Scooter3 @ 12/06/09 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin23
I dream of the day when we have almost 10 different baseball games to choose from.
Pipe Dream?
Sounds like the pipe dream I had last night.
In my dream I was a muffler and I woke-up existed!

It would be a dream come true if we had competition again...I love baseball and miss the days we had several choices like 2k3- 989 MLB, Inside Pitch, High Heat and MVP ( Baseball Heaven )

scooter...

# 29 Jamin23 @ 12/06/09 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter3
Sounds like a pipe dream to me kind of like the weired dream I had last night.
In my dream I was a muffler and I woke-up existed!

It would be great if we had competition again...I love baseball and miss the days we had several choices like 2k3- 989 MLB, Inside Pitch, High Heat and MVP ( Baseball Heaven )

scooter...
I remember going to Blockbuster and just pondering on which mlb game to rent because there were so many choices.

# 30 Scooter3 @ 12/06/09 04:48 PM
I hear that!
Competition keeps everyone on their toes!
scooter...

# 31 metal134 @ 12/06/09 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball66
Lets pray that is microsoft and a return to Highheat.
That will not happen, for two reasons. One, if Microsoft is a 1st party company. Even if the MLBPA decided, and I pray like hell they don't, to remove the third-party only stipulatuion and make it a flat out exclusive license like the NFL one, they would not give it to a company whereby the game would only be made on one system. Also, Microsoft could make a game right now if they wanted too, but they clearly have no desire, so they would not make a run at it. What I fear is that EA makes a run at it and if they get it, they may have the cash to convince the MLBPA to remove the clause that allows 1st party comapnies to make games, which would mean no more MLB The Show. So, if only for the sake of SCEA baseball, I hope and pray that MLB 2K10 does well. We may all hate Take-Two's exclusive license, but it may very well being the only thing keeping SCEA in the game. I know that means nothing to the XBOX only guys, but it means an awful lot to me.

edit - The saving grace in that scenario may be the fact that EA is slashing costs like everyone else right now, so they may not, in fact, have the cash to alter the structure of the exclusive license.

# 32 metal134 @ 12/06/09 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Locke
Or the lack of African-American players, the continued steriod/cheating scandals, the disparity between the best teams and the small market teams, the long games that now last longer than football games....that is a vibe that I am talking about.....

There are articles all over about how baseball is struggling. How the league is poorly ran. How young people are not playing the game as much.
None of that matters because THEY ARE MAKING MONEY! There may be scandals, a lack of interest from the youth (that's because the youth has a lack of interest in going outside at all these days), but the bottom line is that attendance is at record highs and they are making more money than ever (with inflation factored in). So none of that other stuff matters because it's revenue that keeps a league alive and if they are generating more revenue than ever (save the economic troubles that have plagued ALL leagues the last year, even the almighty NFL), how can you possibly say that it is faltering?

# 33 metal134 @ 12/06/09 06:48 PM
Yeah, I have to agree with the indignation on that point because there is such a wide ethnic diversity in the MLB, whites, blacks, hispanics and Asians that it's hard to say. "there aren't enough blacks". It's a freaking melting pot.

# 34 nemesis04 @ 12/06/09 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal134
That will not happen, for two reasons. One, if Microsoft is a 1st party company. Even if the MLBPA decided, and I pray like hell they don't, to remove the third-party only stipulatuion and make it a flat out exclusive license like the NFL one, they would not give it to a company whereby the game would only be made on one system. Also, Microsoft could make a game right now if they wanted too, but they clearly have no desire, so they would not make a run at it. What I fear is that EA makes a run at it and if they get it, they may have the cash to convince the MLBPA to remove the clause that allows 1st party comapnies to make games, which would mean no more MLB The Show. So, if only for the sake of SCEA baseball, I hope and pray that MLB 2K10 does well. We may all hate Take-Two's exclusive license, but it may very well being the only thing keeping SCEA in the game. I know that means nothing to the XBOX only guys, but it means an awful lot to me.

edit - The saving grace in that scenario may be the fact that EA is slashing costs like everyone else right now, so they may not, in fact, have the cash to alter the structure of the exclusive license.
From what I have heard the MLB is not interested in an exclusive deal after the current one is completed. It looks like everyone would be free to make a game again.

# 35 Jamin23 @ 12/06/09 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
From what I have heard the MLB is not interested in an exclusive deal after the current one is completed. It looks like everyone would be free to make a game again.

# 36 MasterX1918 @ 12/06/09 11:27 PM
Hopefully this encourages 2K to get their act together and produce a stellar baseball game. MLB 2K9 was decent but was rushed and hastily developed to the extent that it had garring issues that prevented me from wanting to play the game. If they eliminate glitches and actually put an effort into making the game play smoothly, then the game will sell. To top it off make franchise mode better with realistic statistics and and it will be a great game.

# 37 gamerk2 @ 12/06/09 11:51 PM
You know, I think M$ still has the High Heat license...and as a first party developer, they are free to release a game whenever they want...

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.