Home
MLB 10 News Post

ESPN Videogames have posted their first look at MLB '10: The Show.

Quote:
"MLB 09" was one of the best offline sports games of the year. But take the game online and it's virtually unplayable because of the constant lag that throws off the timing of every move, making even little things like check swings seem impossible. "We're fully aware of the complaints," admits Cutliff, "but we've made online playability a priority area for us this year to make sure the timing of everything from the release points to the swings and check swings finally look and feel right. The online game will be going through much more extensive testing than we've ever put it through before."

Game: MLB '10: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 66 - View All
MLB '10: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 201 VeeckAsInWreck @ 12/21/09 11:36 AM
It's cool that they're bringing back the classic stadiums, but I'd love it if they had different ones. Like Old Comiskey Park or Tiger Stadium.

It would also be great to have a different selection of throwback uniforms.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm still looking forward to getting this game in March.

# 202 x1Blumpkin1x @ 12/21/09 11:51 AM
I am very excited about the real-time presentation. When 2k9 implemented that last year my theory was that is the future of broadcast in sports games. Cutscenes are nice but they can take you out of the action and present continuity issues. I think that SCEA will have this looking very impressive. History seems to dictate that they wouldn't release a feature like this that is poorly implemented, but leaving the existing presentation as default has me wondering if they need a backup.

I really like the RTTS improvement with the depth of being a catcher, and hopefully the training is sharp. As I spend the majority of my time in franchise I look forward to hearing about the improvements to that area of the game.

# 203 DodgerFanatic2K3 @ 12/21/09 04:42 PM
Russel...What's the status on that Hardcore fact sheet ?

# 204 NAFBUC @ 12/21/09 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerFanatic2K3
Russel...What's the status on that Hardcore fact sheet ?
He has to wait for the PR department to give the okay before the fact sheet is released.

# 205 green94 @ 12/21/09 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by x1Blumpkin1x
I am very excited about the real-time presentation. When 2k9 implemented that last year my theory was that is the future of broadcast in sports games. Cutscenes are nice but they can take you out of the action and present continuity issues. I think that SCEA will have this looking very impressive. History seems to dictate that they wouldn't release a feature like this that is poorly implemented, but leaving the existing presentation as default has me wondering if they need a backup.

I really like the RTTS improvement with the depth of being a catcher, and hopefully the training is sharp. As I spend the majority of my time in franchise I look forward to hearing about the improvements to that area of the game.
You know SCEA isn't going to half *** the RTP. I am candidly SHOCKED that they put this in this year as I know after 2k added it last year it popped up on a lot of people's radar for this game. I, for one, am ecstatic that SCEA went this route.

I didn't even have this as a wishlist need because i didn't even think they would consider it for the next few years. Shame on me!

Cannot wait to see it in action!

# 206 Spaced Ace @ 12/22/09 01:39 AM
I wonder if SCEA is going to add Soriano's stupid "hop" when he goes to make a catch out in left field. As much as I hate it when he does that, it would add to the already insane amount of authenticity in the game. What do you all think?

# 207 cubsfan128 @ 12/22/09 02:17 AM
I hope that soriano's hop when catching the ball is in also. Because I think I remember from last year Russel or someone from SCEA made a post about pitcher and batter rituals/routines and asking people to post different ones then know of.

# 208 monk31 @ 12/23/09 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Now the only thing I hope is that balks will be part of the new pickoff move feature. For instance, will a deceptive move at times result in a balk? Or maybe a quick move?
I really really, REAALLLYYY hope that the implement balks into the new pickoff system! A risk/reward kind of thing. It only makes sense, or why else would you do anything else besides the deceptive move???

# 209 soxnut1018 @ 12/23/09 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monk31
I really really, REAALLLYYY hope that the implement balks into the new pickoff system! A risk/reward kind of thing. It only makes sense, or why else would you do anything else besides the deceptive move???
I believe a dev said each different pickoff type would have a positive and negative side to them. I imagine that the basic pickoff would be safe but not very effective, the quick would be effective but very likely to be thrown away, and the deceptive would be very effective but likely to result in a balk. At least that's what I hope the system works like.

# 210 countryboy @ 12/23/09 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut1018
I believe a dev said each different pickoff type would have a positive and negative side to them. I imagine that the basic pickoff would be safe but not very effective, the quick would be effective but very likely to be thrown away, and the deceptive would be very effective but likely to result in a balk. At least that's what I hope the system works like.
Sounds good to me. Hopefully this is how its implemented.

# 211 monk31 @ 12/23/09 01:51 PM
That makes sense. Since you hold down the pickoff button longer for the deceptive move, I wonder if say I'm pitching w/ a lefty... if the longer i hold the button the more deceptive it becomes, but hold it too long and it's a balk. Like crossing the 45 degree line for balks.

I saw that they put in 3rd to 1st moves. Anybody heard if the deceptive move to 2nd base is an inside move? I would assume it would be.

# 212 Blzer @ 12/23/09 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monk31
That makes sense. Since you hold down the pickoff button longer for the deceptive move, I wonder if say I'm pitching w/ a lefty... if the longer i hold the button the more deceptive it becomes, but hold it too long and it's a balk. Like crossing the 45 degree line for balks.
That's how it was in Interplay Sports Baseball 2000. They also had fake throws (for pickles or whatever). What a good game that was.

Quote:
I saw that they put in 3rd to 1st moves. Anybody heard if the deceptive move to 2nd base is an inside move? I would assume it would be.
I never saw that they also had that. Wow, this game is deep! Hopefully the AI happens to do all of these things.

# 213 Infinite202 @ 12/23/09 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut1018
This would be awesome.

# 214 nemesis04 @ 12/23/09 11:38 PM
I do not think I would count on balks for 10.

# 215 countryboy @ 12/24/09 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I do not think I would count on balks for 10.

# 216 metal134 @ 12/24/09 09:46 AM
I hope (but doubt) that with this new pickoff system will come pickoff ratings. Some pitchers are way better at picking off runners than others. Andy Pettite is great at it while Chris Young couldn't hold an 80 year old women on base.

# 217 Blzer @ 12/24/09 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal134
I hope (but doubt) that with this new pickoff system will come pickoff ratings. Some pitchers are way better at picking off runners than others. Andy Pettite is great at it while Chris Young couldn't hold an 80 year old women on base.
Pickoff ratings shouldn't really have a number system, anyway. You aren't either an 81 or an 82 at pickoffs, that's just weird. Either you're great (which is still not often that we pick off runners), average, or poor. Most relievers don't hold runners well, nor do they even try to. And people at second base steal on guys like Papelbon and Lincecum all the time... they never check their runner! So a "hold runner" attribute would be nice as well, or unless that's put in with the pickoff attribute.

# 218 DodgerFanatic2K3 @ 12/29/09 04:02 AM
So game presentation will be split into 2 options.....Default & Real time

But you can't have a mix of both ??

# 219 BatsareBugs @ 12/29/09 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal134
Andy Pettite is great because he's a lefty. Meanwhile, Chris Young is terrible because not only is he a righty, he's giant who takes an hour to get through his pitching motion. Not really a good comparison for ratings.

# 220 Shinino_Kage @ 12/29/09 10:12 PM
Man. I was really hoping for full minors. AT least single A. At least they're starting us in AA this time.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.