Home
MLB 10 News Post

ESPN Videogames have posted their first look at MLB '10: The Show.

Quote:
"MLB 09" was one of the best offline sports games of the year. But take the game online and it's virtually unplayable because of the constant lag that throws off the timing of every move, making even little things like check swings seem impossible. "We're fully aware of the complaints," admits Cutliff, "but we've made online playability a priority area for us this year to make sure the timing of everything from the release points to the swings and check swings finally look and feel right. The online game will be going through much more extensive testing than we've ever put it through before."

Game: MLB '10: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 66 - View All
MLB '10: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 61 HokieB @ 12/17/09 11:57 AM
I hope their adaptation of RTP doesn't mean we can't expect new cut scenes every year. Those cut scenes are a huge part of what makes the game so immersive. The beach ball on the field, the players reaction to a fan running on the field, etc.... I want that stuff to stay in and be added to each year.

Is it just me, or does the article sound like they are planning on transitioning away from cutscenes entirely in the next few years?

# 62 RustedWalleye @ 12/17/09 11:57 AM
"the ability to choose a classic stadium as your home field during Franchise"

Kudos!

# 63 thaSLAB @ 12/17/09 11:59 AM
"...working analog and digital clocks inside stadiums"

# 64 rudyjuly2 @ 12/17/09 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieB
I hope their adaptation of RTP doesn't mean we can't expect new cut scenes every year. Those cut scenes are a huge part of what makes the game so immersive. The beach ball on the field, the players reaction to a fan running on the field, etc.... I want that stuff to stay in and be added to each year.

Is it just me, or does the article sound like they are planning on transitioning away from cutscenes entirely in the next few years?
I get the feeling cut scenes are sort of gone. That doesn't mean they can't do close ups but it's all in real time. Did you play MLB 2K9 or try their demo? That's how they did it and it was really cool. I don't think you will be disappointed. It's the highlight of the features announced so far (for me).

# 65 lendog691 @ 12/17/09 12:08 PM
The only thing i've wanted for a few years is the abilty to control all teams lineups, pitching rotations,callups,etc but with fantasy injuries. This is the only thing holding this game back from being prefect.

# 66 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/17/09 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I get the feeling cut scenes are sort of gone. That doesn't mean they can't do close ups but it's all in real time. Did you play MLB 2K9 or try their demo? That's how they did it and it was really cool. I don't think you will be disappointed. It's the highlight of the features announced so far (for me).

They said those presentation scenes are still in the game, since they have upwards of 7,000 animations in them, and it would seem a waste to scrap them.

They will have the originals along with the new RTP from what I gather.

Quote:
MLB 10" will default with the same presentation gamers are used to, with all of the classic cut scenes that help you follow the action. But the team at Sony is also laying a foundation for what they believe is the future of sports gaming, and that's something they call Real-Time Presentation (RTP).

We're still going to default to what we have, as we have upwards of 7.000 animations in all of these cut scenes. But the real-time aspect gives you an opportunity to watch the game in a different environment, from the way the camera focuses on the shortstop who just made a great diving catch to the way the next batter is walking up to the plate to the way the guy who just got out storms back to the dugout, it's all playing out in front of you like you in real time.

# 67 Stroehms @ 12/17/09 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrotull
That looks great the only problem I saw with it is that the fans who remember those classic stadiums are dead or dying. I was hoping the classic stadiums read more like Candlestick, Tiger Stadium, Atlanta Fulton County Stadium and Three Rivers.
I wanted Busch Stadium II (1966-2005). R.I.P.

# 68 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/17/09 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lendog691
The only thing i've wanted for a few years is the abilty to control all teams lineups, pitching rotations,callups,etc but with fantasy injuries. This is the only thing holding this game back from being prefect.

Quote:
And speaking of Franchise, there will be the ability to finally play Franchise mode with up to 30 players. "We have a lot of fans who want to control every team, every lineup, every injury … they actually want to go in and manually injure a player just so their franchise at home can have the exact rosters of real life

# 69 Bigmikelakers @ 12/17/09 12:24 PM
I pray that MLB 10 has alternating interleague schedules in franchise mode...

# 70 Pimpton23 @ 12/17/09 12:26 PM
I need this game, ASAP. If only every programmer/dev team was as involved/passionate about listening to the ideas and thoughts of the people that matter the most: us, and the consumers who purchase and support these titles! Kudos to Sony and the staff who work on this game. Another great season to be a baseball fan and Sony PS3 owner!

# 71 bp4baseball @ 12/17/09 12:28 PM
If you go to the previw and scroll down you can look at their gallery. There are a couple extras, including one showing fireworks. It also looks like they have statefarm as a sponser.

# 72 countryboy @ 12/17/09 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes
I have a boner!

ummm...congratualations?

# 73 Mo @ 12/17/09 01:10 PM
I might finally enjoy playing a RTTS, with the Catcher improvements.

# 74 magoo1967 @ 12/17/09 01:19 PM
Boy after a horrific morning at the dentist, all this fresh info on the latest edition of my favorite game of all time is better than the pain killers they gave me (although the combination of the two is even nicer). I am already more jazzed about this game on day 1 of hearing about it than I was about the previous couple of year's versions at this time. It seemed that in those years, there was immediately reports of a number of things that couldn't make it in due to time. This year, it already looks like many of those things are getting added and then some. HR Derby & Futures Game, classic stadiums, full 30 team roster control, COLLISION DETECTION, throwing accuracy meter, realistic time of day progression, some weather effects (fog), real time presentation, pick-offs totally revamped, pitching & fielding training modes, etc., and this is just the initial info...WOW!

I know some people were disappointed to hear that the new player models didn't make it in, but that doesn't bother me personally at all. To be honest, I was actually a little worried that the implementation of the new models wouldn't go so smoothly. Man, I never thought I could be in a good mood after the morning I had, thanks SCEA (and a shout-out to Rite-Aid pharmacy as well)!

# 75 tril @ 12/17/09 01:22 PM
seems great.
RTP was a bright spot in MLB 2k9. so its great that Sony is implementing this feature into their game=play. Im not to high on the cut scenes still being in the game.

# 76 Chizzypoof @ 12/17/09 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieB

I interpreted it differently. It sounds more like the animations and close ups are still there, but instead of it happening as a cut scene, everything is happening at the same time. You will see the batter throwing his helmet against the dugout at the same you will see the short stop running into his dugout in the back ground. The camera is just focusing on the relevant action. With the beach ball scene, if you could replay it, you would be able to watch the umpire calling for time, the batter stepping out of the box and the fielder grabbing the beach ball in real time.

The first part of the article they talked about adding the manager grenade scene, and how you may or may not ever see it. I don't see how you can spend time adding it, when you plan on throwing it away next year.

That's how I understood it.

# 77 BUCTD3 @ 12/17/09 01:33 PM
I am so fired up about this game. I am glad to see the details coming out. I cant wait to see the end product.

# 78 magoo1967 @ 12/17/09 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
Now THAT was funny!
Thanks Jim, I'll be here all week. Make sure you try the veal.

# 79 CommunityCollege @ 12/17/09 01:56 PM
dang it!

why does Yankee Stadium still have the electrical scoreboard at RF?!

# 80 ryan36 @ 12/17/09 02:06 PM
No throwing meter, they took it out lol, and yes this is the 3rd thread I've posted it in ...hmm... maybe they did something else to it (throwing).

you know the meter didn't bug me a lot, but I REALLY hope my infielders quit running right past ground balls this year.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.