Home
MLB 2K10 News Post

2K Sports Signs All-Star Lineup to
Promote Major League Baseball® 2K10 this Season

Cover athlete Evan Longoria to be joined by seven of
the top players in Major League Baseball®

January 7, 2010 – In addition to cover athlete Evan Longoria, third baseman for the Tampa Bay Rays®, 2K Sports announced today that they have partnered with seven additional elite baseball superstars to help promote Major League Baseball® 2K10. The players will form an impressive council, who will serve as active spokesmen and invaluable gameplay advisors for the title this season. These seven players were selected not only for their excellence on the baseball diamond, but also for their commitment and desire to help create the most authentic MLB video game to date.

The council of players for Major League Baseball® 2K10 include:
  • Andrew Bailey, relief pitcher of the Oakland Athletics®
    2009 American League Rookie of the Year and American League All-Star
  • Felix Hernandez, starting pitcher of the Seattle Mariners®
    2009 American League All-Star
  • Jose Reyes, shortstop of the New York Mets®
    2-time National League All-Star selection
  • Justin Morneau, first baseman of the Minnesota Twins®
    2006 American League Most Valuable Player
  • Justin Verlander, starting pitcher of the Detroit Tigers®
    2-time American League All-Star selection
  • Kendry Morales, first baseman of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim®
    August 2009 American League Player of the Month
  • Nelson Cruz, outfielder of the Texas Rangers®
    2009 American League All-Star

“We look to partner with the top emerging talent every year to assist us in shaping our MLB 2K franchise,” said Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. “Working with these seven elite players to ensure our product is up to their standards presents a fantastic opportunity for 2K Sports. These players embody the 2K Sports brand, and we are excited to work with them on Major League Baseball 2K10.”

As part of their partnership with 2K Sports, the athletes will consult with the development team at 2K Sports’ Visual Concepts studio to provide their expertise and recommendations for how to maximize the realism of Major League Baseball 2K10 and create the most authentic pitcher–batter battle experiences. These players will also appear in an upcoming “Pitchers vs. Hitters” video series that will highlight the intense battle from the mound to the batter’s box in Major League Baseball 2K10.

Major League Baseball 2K10 is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB and will be available on March 2, 2010 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, Wii™ system, Nintendo DS™ and Windows PC. For more information about Major League Baseball 2K10, please visit http://www.2ksports.com/games/mlb2k10.

2K Sports is a division of 2K, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO).

Game: Major League Baseball 2K10Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 33 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Jamin23 @ 01/08/10 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
Can't answer that, but perhaps the higher ups won't let them come here? I dunno.

I agree with you on anybody who rubs anyones nose in their game, but what I was tryin' to say is there are Show fans knocking what they're seeing right now regarding The Show and it's based on about three minutes of videos on a build that isn't nearly done. Sort of makes you want to pull your hair out, but I guess that's the nature of some gamers.

I think people on this forum are just frustrated because of the history of this game, rightfully so. It should be way better than it is by now, and that's not the gamers fault, so I think they give 2k a pretty good message, actually. Whether it will make any difference, dunno.
I'm anxious to see the developer insight on next week to see what has improved. I don't believe that this game can get any worse and if it does than 2k is digging themselves in a deeper whole than they already are in and they are in a pretty deap hole.

# 42 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/08/10 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416

I think people on this forum are just frustrated because of the history of this game, rightfully so. It should be way better than it is by now, and that's not the gamers fault, so I think they give 2k a pretty good message, actually. Whether it will make any difference, dunno.
Agreed,

You don't get results unless you voice your displeasure about things. And the words "troll" are thrown around too loosely around here. I see legitimate complaints being torn down as trolling, and sometimes it is not right. Especially when the person who is being called it sometimes, is far from a troll by post history.

You can't complain your displeasure on the 2K boards anymore, because you will get banned and deleted threads instantly. That kind of censorship is not cool. You want less complaints and more praises, make a better a product, it is as simple as that. Ones should be allowed to vent their displeasure if it is done in a constructive manner. And it seems that is getting harder and harder lately, And that is sad.

All about proper discourse, that is all.

# 43 Artman22 @ 01/08/10 11:58 PM
Complaining happens on all games, but it does seem like it's a trend to come to the 2k forums and say how happy a person is to own a ps3, and how terrible 2k baseball is any time they get the opportunity. I'm sure 2k knows their baseball games have not been great. I guess that's why VC is the developer now. All games have faults, and I understand that 2k baseball hasn't been good for next-gen, but that doesn't mean that people should come here and bash this game non-stop without playing the game first. I have a ps3 and really enjoy the other game, but I never come here and bash anyone for pre-ordering this game or anything in that nature. I actually want both games to be great, and I DON'T want them to be the SAME. I want them both to feel different, but good in their own ways.

# 44 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/09/10 12:07 AM
Judging by recent events, VC picking up the development in house seems more to do with 2K's financial situation more than anything.

# 45 spankdatazz22 @ 01/09/10 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Agreed,

You don't get results unless you voice your displeasure about things.
Maybe, but it gets taken too far. A guy created a thread just to say he was preordering the game, and look at how many people couldn't bite their tongue and had to say something negative. Doesn't seem to be too much constructive about that, all it does is discourage anything positive being discussed. All the guy said was he was preordering the game. I can understand wanting to voice displeasure about a purchase, but at the end of the day people should acknowledge their responsibility as a consumer to do due diligence.

I'd love to have a great NFL football game to play but there's ONE choice and nothing else. I purchased Madden 10 and I'm not satisfied with it, but I'm not going to act like I didn't know there was a chance it might not hold my interest based on the research I did before it released. I understand the need to vent or speak out on issues but I'm sure if 2-3 months prior to Madden 11's release I'm still complaining about Madden 10 (or 09, 08, etc.), I'm sure I'm going to be told to get over it.

# 46 Artman22 @ 01/09/10 12:27 AM
Quote:
Judging by recent events, VC picking up the development in house seems more to do with 2K's financial situation more than anything.
I don't think that was the case with KUSH.

# 47 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/09/10 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Maybe, but it gets taken too far. A guy created a thread just to say he was preordering the game, and look at how many people couldn't bite their tongue and had to say something negative. Doesn't seem to be too much constructive about that, all it does is discourage anything positive being discussed. All the guy said was he was preordering the game. I can understand wanting to voice displeasure about a purchase, but at the end of the day people should acknowledge their responsibility as a consumer to do due diligence.
You took one sentence out of what I said, out of context... and just repeated EVERYTHING I said in the same post.

I said it has to remain civil with proper discourse and be constructive.

Quote:
Ones should be allowed to vent their displeasure if it is done in a constructive manner. And it seems that is getting harder and harder lately, And that is sad.

# 48 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/09/10 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1bk
I don't think that was the case with KUSH.

All the signs are there that this was more a financial decision, now that all the info came out with them dropping games, studios, layoffs etc.

Consolidation. Seen it with many big publishers, EA to MSFT.

# 49 Knight165 @ 01/09/10 12:43 AM
Just my thoughts...
I don't think that it's the negative comments as much as
-repeated....same comment over and over anywhere it can get heard
-a direct attack on a member or a dev
-the condescending tone that some posts take on
-usually a post that say...."such and such is not changed?!...that's just RIDICULOUS(when it's usually something hoped for...by that one or maybe even many people...but not in the devs case)...which usually makes the post a little insulting.

It's not the negative comments but the lack of decorum.

M.K.
Knight165

# 50 Pared @ 01/09/10 09:29 AM
Quote:
Agreed,

You don't get results unless you voice your displeasure about things. And the words "troll" are thrown around too loosely around here. I see legitimate complaints being torn down as trolling, and sometimes it is not right. Especially when the person who is being called it sometimes, is far from a troll by post history.

You can't complain your displeasure on the 2K boards anymore, because you will get banned and deleted threads instantly. That kind of censorship is not cool. You want less complaints and more praises, make a better a product, it is as simple as that. Ones should be allowed to vent their displeasure if it is done in a constructive manner. And it seems that is getting harder and harder lately, And that is sad.

This has absolutely ZERO to do with this thread.

If you guys want to continue to make "state of the union" type posts in a thread promoting a video, the posts will get addressed.

Cut it out.

# 51 NumberOneRB @ 01/09/10 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
This has absolutely ZERO to do with this thread.

If you guys want to continue to make "state of the union" type posts in a thread promoting a video, the posts will get addressed.

Cut it out.
I don't think there was anything wrong with EnigmaNemesis' post. I think he was professionally and cordially explaining that the only way 2K is going to prevent continued criticism towards their games is by making a better game, and by LISTENING and even communicating with knowledgeable fans to gain insight on what needs fixing.

I've also seen some examples of the post-deletion issues he brought up concerning the 2K boards. I also think your last statement was a bit harsh if directed at posts similar to the tone used by EnigmaNemesis. What do you want people to comment about in this thread? The video/thread practically brings no significant info to the table regarding gameplay elements and how much better this game will be compared to the last.

This thread is about 2K making an announcement that they spent "X" amount of dollars to get a group of MLB players to advise the developers on making a better game (potentially). I think most are seeing this as a waste of their financial resources, which I would have to somewhat agree. Would it be better to suggest and assume that Felix Hernandez will fix the issues of the CPU AI pitchers never throwing balls and constantly painting corners? Should we suggest and assume that signing Justin Morneau will prevent the CPU from swinging and making contact on every pitch?

I think once people saw this announcement, they began to perceive that 2K was wasting money on professional players' "name value" rather than using it towards improving gameplay elements (allegedly). Once the criticism began, some questioned their severity. I believe EnigmaNemesis was simply trying to explain that certain forms of criticism are necessary and helpful in motivating developers to make a better game, and it just depends on the severity and constructiveness of said criticism.

# 52 Pared @ 01/09/10 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberOneRB
What do you want people to comment about in this thread?
Again, a "state of the union" post has nothing to do with 2k's marketing efforts. Zero.

# 53 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/09/10 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
Ok, so they dont ask for a few players to help them. What do they spend money towards for develompental costs? do you know how many people are working on the game? do you know how they actually do it? I think once they said they had about 88 people working on the NBA title. What if they have around 70 or so or even 88 working on MLB? Throwing money at the something isnt always the solution. Getting a few years under your belt making a new game for them is the solution to the problem.

We all know EA throws money at everything and it doesnt always work just look at Madden. They threw money to get some people from OS to go down there and half of the stuff never made it into the game that was supposed to be there. Looks great from a marketing standpoint right?

Until we know how many people are actually working on the game all we are doing is taking out of our behinds. If i am wrong please correct me.

Better interaction with the gaming community would be a good start. Or in their case, any interaction at all.

When I can go to another baseball forum on here. And there is an entire section dedicated to the developers asking for feedback on what people want improved on in the game, and asking for help to make routines, equipment sig/styles, and stadium adjustments. What does that show as far as interaction with a fan-base?

Here is a hint. It costs less money to get what your gamers want, and not spend them on high payed "talent" who know not what the gamer wants.

These companies could learn a lot from their *gasp* customers.

# 54 Jamin23 @ 01/09/10 02:53 PM
Quote:
Better interaction with the gaming community would be a good start. Or in their case, any interaction at all.

When I can go to another baseball forum on here. And there is an entire section dedicated to the developers asking for feedback on what people want improved on in the game, and asking for help to make routines, equipment sig/styles, and stadium adjustments. What does that show as far as interaction with a fan-base?

Here is a hint. It costs less money to get what your gamers want, and not spend them on high payed "talent" who know not what the gamer wants.

These companies could learn a lot from their *gasp* customers.
That's all they need to do. I do know on the 2k forums there is a feedback forum, but I'm not sure if they look at it and I don't think they talk to the members on the forum. There should be one on here too because there are a lot people on OS that know what to put in to improve the game. Here's the link. http://2ksports.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=177

# 55 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/09/10 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin23
That's all they need to do. I do know on the 2k forums there is a feedback forum, but I'm not sure if they look at it and I don't think they talk to the members on the forum. There should be one on here too because there are a lot people on OS that know what to put in to improve the game. Here's the link. http://2ksports.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=177
Yeah, they don't engage in feedback with the posters. Even admins said the devs don't even look at it. So it is a copy/paste method, which is still out of touch versus having at least some sort of dialogue with the community.

# 56 NumberOneRB @ 01/09/10 03:56 PM
Quote:
Ok, so they dont ask for a few players to help them. What do they spend money towards for develompental costs? do you know how many people are working on the game? do you know how they actually do it? I think once they said they had about 88 people working on the NBA title. What if they have around 70 or so or even 88 working on MLB? Throwing money at the something isnt always the solution. Getting a few years under your belt making a new game for them is the solution to the problem.

We all know EA throws money at everything and it doesnt always work just look at Madden. They threw money to get some people from OS to go down there and half of the stuff never made it into the game that was supposed to be there. Looks great from a marketing standpoint right?

Until we know how many people are actually working on the game all we are doing is taking out of our behinds. If i am wrong please correct me.
I'm not going to compare EA to 2K in regards to marketing because quite frankly that's not my intention. EA has its own issues and they have been well documented, I'm not criticizing 2K in favor of EA in any way. I'm fully aware that EA has put tons of money towards different aspects of their games and marketing and the end result has been a poorly made game, but those are complaints and criticisms that should be handled in the EA-based forums not here. This is about 2K, not EA.

It is true that I am ignorant of how many people are working on the MLB2K team, but many people (including myself) are questioning why 2K has decided to put a certain amount of their budget towards signing a handful of athletes to give "insight" on their game, when it would seem that the majority of the budget could go towards anything the team may need from the technical side (mo-cap, new technology tools, etc.) to improve the gaming mechanics. I can understand why you would suggest that simply "throwing" money at something doesn't necessarily fix the issue, but when used effectively and with the right developmental philosophy, it can go a long way in improving needed technology for a better gaming experience.

Yes, if 2K mimicked EA in some ways and practiced wasteful spending on marketing and gaming technology that inevitably didn't result in a better gaming experience then I could understand where you're coming from, but isn't at least TRYING to invest more money in better technology and resources a somewhat beneficial practice? It would almost be perceived that a company would refuse putting more money towards better technological resources because they were "fearful" that the investment would never pay off (meaning, the investment would not result in a better gaming experience).

I think 2K at least owes themselves and the fans the responsibility of being as cost-effective as possible with whatever budget they have, and instead of using millions of dollars on "brand name" talent for marketing purposes, they could have instead used that same money to improve developmental technology tools to further improve whatever gameplay mechanics they had in mind for this year's game.

THEY may believe that they spent enough of their budget on these tools to help improve their game, and therefore could "afford" to splurge on professional talent to market their product, but their past history of recent MLB games has proven otherwise. If they prove me and all the other doubters wrong, they will have my full contriteness.

# 57 Bahnzo @ 01/10/10 05:21 AM
Quote:
They had probably less then a year to build the game virtually from scratch. I know they borrowed a few things from 2K8, but i don't think it was much.
I don't see where you get this. 2K9 was hardly built from scratch, but was 2K8 (and 2K7) with some added features. They "borrowed" more than a few things from the previous year.

I will agree that it certainly can't be a bad idea to bring in major league players and pick their brains on improving the game....if that's what they actually do. Just seems like something that's more marketing than gameplay improvement...at least that's what I take away from watching the commercial. I hope I'm proved wrong and we'll see come March.

# 58 leafs nation @ 01/10/10 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberOneRB
I don't think there was anything wrong with EnigmaNemesis' post. I think he was professionally and cordially explaining that the only way 2K is going to prevent continued criticism towards their games is by making a better game, and by LISTENING and even communicating with knowledgeable fans to gain insight on what needs fixing.

I've also seen some examples of the post-deletion issues he brought up concerning the 2K boards. I also think your last statement was a bit harsh if directed at posts similar to the tone used by EnigmaNemesis. What do you want people to comment about in this thread? The video/thread practically brings no significant info to the table regarding gameplay elements and how much better this game will be compared to the last.

This thread is about 2K making an announcement that they spent "X" amount of dollars to get a group of MLB players to advise the developers on making a better game (potentially). I think most are seeing this as a waste of their financial resources, which I would have to somewhat agree. Would it be better to suggest and assume that Felix Hernandez will fix the issues of the CPU AI pitchers never throwing balls and constantly painting corners? Should we suggest and assume that signing Justin Morneau will prevent the CPU from swinging and making contact on every pitch?

I think once people saw this announcement, they began to perceive that 2K was wasting money on professional players' "name value" rather than using it towards improving gameplay elements (allegedly). Once the criticism began, some questioned their severity. I believe EnigmaNemesis was simply trying to explain that certain forms of criticism are necessary and helpful in motivating developers to make a better game, and it just depends on the severity and constructiveness of said criticism.
Agreed. It reads well. Intelligent thoughtful arguments. As are the posts that follow. I don't have ps3 so it's 2k10 or nothing for me. I like what this guy has to say. I think the moderator is going a bit overboard on this thread.

# 59 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/10/10 08:56 AM
Though people may see the using of MLB Players as a waste of resources that can go else where, I see it as a situation where it can only help the game. Especially if they mo-capped them & added those mo-capped animations to the game, which simballer last year said would be done this year. *keeps fingers crossed*

Thing is we really don't know other than these infomercial videos if this is the case. We also don't know how much these players were paid. (doubts it was millions) Would it have been great for them to fly some die-hards in as suggested to give input & evaluate what's been done to this point of course.

I know this company deserves a lot of flack for what they've done with this series the last couple of years (especially since going next-gen) which is unfotunate

# 60 NumberOneRB @ 01/10/10 02:29 PM
Quote:
They really dont need to interact with the community, they know what was wrong with the game, everyone played it, everyone posted about it.
See, that's where I don't agree. Judging from 2K's past history the last few years with their MLB titles, it would suggest they DON'T know what's truly wrong with this game. True, Visual Concepts just took over the reigns last year and weren't given much to work with initially, but if we look at the overall body of work of this MLB franchise under the 2K umbrella the past few years it would suggest they could use all the feedback they can get. I'm going to assume the 2K higher-ups are preventing the developers from fully interacting with the community, unlike SCEA and EA Sports.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.