Home
MLB 2K10 News Post

2K Sports Signs All-Star Lineup to
Promote Major League Baseball® 2K10 this Season

Cover athlete Evan Longoria to be joined by seven of
the top players in Major League Baseball®

January 7, 2010 – In addition to cover athlete Evan Longoria, third baseman for the Tampa Bay Rays®, 2K Sports announced today that they have partnered with seven additional elite baseball superstars to help promote Major League Baseball® 2K10. The players will form an impressive council, who will serve as active spokesmen and invaluable gameplay advisors for the title this season. These seven players were selected not only for their excellence on the baseball diamond, but also for their commitment and desire to help create the most authentic MLB video game to date.

The council of players for Major League Baseball® 2K10 include:
  • Andrew Bailey, relief pitcher of the Oakland Athletics®
    2009 American League Rookie of the Year and American League All-Star
  • Felix Hernandez, starting pitcher of the Seattle Mariners®
    2009 American League All-Star
  • Jose Reyes, shortstop of the New York Mets®
    2-time National League All-Star selection
  • Justin Morneau, first baseman of the Minnesota Twins®
    2006 American League Most Valuable Player
  • Justin Verlander, starting pitcher of the Detroit Tigers®
    2-time American League All-Star selection
  • Kendry Morales, first baseman of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim®
    August 2009 American League Player of the Month
  • Nelson Cruz, outfielder of the Texas Rangers®
    2009 American League All-Star

“We look to partner with the top emerging talent every year to assist us in shaping our MLB 2K franchise,” said Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. “Working with these seven elite players to ensure our product is up to their standards presents a fantastic opportunity for 2K Sports. These players embody the 2K Sports brand, and we are excited to work with them on Major League Baseball 2K10.”

As part of their partnership with 2K Sports, the athletes will consult with the development team at 2K Sports’ Visual Concepts studio to provide their expertise and recommendations for how to maximize the realism of Major League Baseball 2K10 and create the most authentic pitcher–batter battle experiences. These players will also appear in an upcoming “Pitchers vs. Hitters” video series that will highlight the intense battle from the mound to the batter’s box in Major League Baseball 2K10.

Major League Baseball 2K10 is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB and will be available on March 2, 2010 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, Wii™ system, Nintendo DS™ and Windows PC. For more information about Major League Baseball 2K10, please visit http://www.2ksports.com/games/mlb2k10.

2K Sports is a division of 2K, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO).

Game: Major League Baseball 2K10Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 33 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 AustinOrgans @ 01/10/10 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberOneRB
See, that's where I don't agree. Judging from 2K's past history the last few years with their MLB titles, it would suggest they DON'T know what's truly wrong with this game. True, Visual Concepts just took over the reigns last year and weren't given much to work with initially, but if we look at the overall body of work of this MLB franchise under the 2K umbrella the past few years it would suggest they could use all the feedback they can get. I'm going to assume the 2K higher-ups are preventing the developers from fully interacting with the community, unlike SCEA and EA Sports.
I'd even venture to say that 2K and VC don't know too much about the sport of baseball. There was so much depth and customization missing from Franchise mode in 2K9 that was in 2K8. The manager and player AI (substituting pitchers, fighting off pitches w/ 2 strikes) was seriously lacking. Season-long batting stats weren't even in the realm of realism. The reactions and animations going on in the dugout were absurd (managers throwing up their arms) and often incongruous with what was going on on the field. Nothing about the game demonstrated a knowledge of baseball on the part of VC/2K.

# 62 Trevytrev11 @ 01/10/10 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
They really dont need to interact with the community, they know what was wrong with the game, everyone played it, everyone posted about it.
Just because they know what was wrong doesn't mean they know how to fix it and make it right and those are two completely different things.

Take last year, they supposedly fixed the over anxious hitters with the patch, but it just made it slightly better, but still way off.

If they knew baseball, they would know that some hitters need to be aggressive, some need to patient and the rest fall somewhere in between.

To say one way communication would solve as much as back and forth communication just doesn't seem very likely to me regarding pretty much everything in the world.

The "we know best" attitude seems to be what led to the demise of this franchise to begin with.

# 63 Jamin23 @ 01/10/10 03:01 PM
If they don't want to come on the forums and communicate with us, at least have a community day where they can get feedback from the gamers on what needs to be done better in order to make it a good game.

# 64 spankdatazz22 @ 01/11/10 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin23
If they don't want to come on the forums and communicate with us, at least have a community day where they can get feedback from the gamers on what needs to be done better in order to make it a good game.
Personally I think community days are overrated. Imo they started out more as marketing endeavors, and only later began being used for actual feedback like last year with Madden. But even then, I'm not sure it helps much for that year's game. I've seen accounts of every Madden community day and don't think I've seen anyone come away with a negative impression once - even when we all know the game was pretty bad for a while.

Nor do I think OS is the sole mecca of videogame sports knowledge. It's more like a sports radio station where you have a handful of people that may have legitimately great ideas on how to fix something, and the vast majority that think they know but don't. It's very easy for people to say they know what should be done when they don't have to deal with the consequences. If a developer truly wants to know what the community (not just OS) is thinking, all they'd have to do is pop on the sites and read up. But even then it has to be taken with a grain of salt given the over-exaggerations many use now to try to make a point. I think community feedback is important for helping detect/fix smaller issues that crop up, like issues with franchise modes, uniform/player-specific details, etc. But ultimately I think as long as the developer is competent, they should be trusted with implementing what they feel is best, be it right or wrong. And given how harsh some can be with their comments, it might not be a good idea to try to directly interact and cause more of an issue. They're obviously acknowledging the community with these community insights that will be coming up; I don't think it should be necessary that they're here telling everybody what they want to hear.

# 65 Pared @ 01/11/10 10:00 AM
Quote:
The thing is we dont know anything behind close doors on what they used the guys for. I fail to see how picking major league baseball players brain for information on the mental side of the game. IMO it can only be a good thing. They had probably less then a year to build the game virtually from scratch. I know they borrowed a few things from 2K8, but i don't think it was much. If we don't see significant improvement in this years title, then i am going to be like something has got to give here.

They really dont need to interact with the community, they know what was wrong with the game, everyone played it, everyone posted about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
Though people may see the using of MLB Players as a waste of resources that can go else where, I see it as a situation where it can only help the game. Especially if they mo-capped them & added those mo-capped animations to the game, which simballer last year said would be done this year. *keeps fingers crossed*

Thing is we really don't know other than these infomercial videos if this is the case. We also don't know how much these players were paid. (doubts it was millions) Would it have been great for them to fly some die-hards in as suggested to give input & evaluate what's been done to this point of course.

I know this company deserves a lot of flack for what they've done with this series the last couple of years (especially since going next-gen) which is unfotunate
This is a good exchange. Personally, I don't see how anyone can see this and think their feedback is so useful where they couldn't accomplish what they needed to another way and for less money.

Still, showing so many major league players backing your game is how it is done today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Personally I think community days are overrated. Imo they started out more as marketing endeavors, and only later began being used for actual feedback like last year with Madden. But even then, I'm not sure it helps much for that year's game. I've seen accounts of every Madden community day and don't think I've seen anyone come away with a negative impression once - even when we all know the game was pretty bad for a while.

Nor do I think OS is the sole mecca of videogame sports knowledge. It's more like a sports radio station where you have a handful of people that may have legitimately great ideas on how to fix something, and the vast majority that think they know but don't. It's very easy for people to say they know what should be done when they don't have to deal with the consequences. If a developer truly wants to know what the community (not just OS) is thinking, all they'd have to do is pop on the sites and read up. But even then it has to be taken with a grain of salt given the over-exaggerations many use now to try to make a point. I think community feedback is important for helping detect/fix smaller issues that crop up, like issues with franchise modes, uniform/player-specific details, etc. But ultimately I think as long as the developer is competent, they should be trusted with implementing what they feel is best, be it right or wrong. And given how harsh some can be with their comments, it might not be a good idea to try to directly interact and cause more of an issue. They're obviously acknowledging the community with these community insights that will be coming up; I don't think it should be necessary that they're here telling everybody what they want to hear.
Community days have done more for games than you will ever know.

I will say this, however. Some companies utilize the information learned during these events more than others.

You have no idea what the community leader has done for a game. And if I were capable of telling you, you'd be floored.

2k doesn't seem to have the monetary resources for a community day, IMO. That's all it amounts to. But I can tell you if they did, and were able to implement it correctly, it would do wonders for this game.

And I tell you this from personal experience.

# 66 spankdatazz22 @ 01/11/10 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared

Community days have done more for games than you will ever know.

I will say this, however. Some companies utilize the information learned during these events more than others.
You would know more than I would so I'll take your word that they are more useful than I would've thought. I did think it was likely cost-prohibitive for every developer to take the approach of flying in a handful of gamers to look at whatever game for a few days. But it would seem to me hands-on would be the most beneficial; I would think people would only see the most obvious issues from looking at a 5min clip of gameplay

# 67 Jamin23 @ 01/11/10 06:48 PM
Quote:
Its not like this major leagues are mediocre ones. Felix and Verlander are 2 of the best pitchers in the game or will be fairly soon. These guys are going to dominate for a while. Longoria is a stud there is no way around it. Guy can play. If they had brought in some utility players from a low level market team then i would be like wtf is going on? lol

Over at the 2K forums the put in forums last year for 2K10 about virtually every possible angle the game had and for people to post what needed to improve in what area.

We got a few more days until we see a little something so here is to hoping this years game is good. I cant wait to play with my Dodgers and we still have no starting pitching. Maybe Kershaw can go on 3 days rest the whole season like C.C lol j/k
and get beat by the Phillies again.

# 68 Jamin23 @ 01/11/10 07:47 PM
Quote:
he will get better dude was 21 years old. He's still a kid at the pro level.
I'm only messing with ya.

# 69 DaveDQ @ 01/11/10 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I think comparisons are only natural. What I don't get is the anger some show. I don't see people directing anger towards Live for not being as good as NBA2K - people speak of it having an upside. Same with Madden, even though it still hasn't surpassed games it should've long ago lapped. People are happy it's improving.
I don't think it's anger. I think it's an internet forum trend. 2K Sports has a philosophy of marketing that a majority of members here don't agree with. The first and obvious reaction is to compare that marketing philosophy to other developers that offer a different approach and cry foul. The second reaction, one that we see a lot of here, is a negative trend that borderlines on blind hate.

It's also a standard that they don't hold consistently among other titles. I see much nitpicking over certain stadiums being incorrect, yet we don't see this same standard applied to a game like The Show, a game that claimed last year we would see proper proportions in player models. Yet, while they are the first to release a video of this year's version, player models still look oddly proportioned. Also, SCEA failed miserably last year with online functionality, and still we don't see them being thrown under the bus as we see some posters have done in this very thread (over the fact that 2K hasn't released gameplay footage).

I want to see footage, and I do expect it by now, but in no way does releasing gameplay footage give you the nod for having the superior game. But, many here feel that way. I think it's safe to say the majority who shout how horrible the 2K baseball franchise is are doing so on the premise that 2K's marketing strategy is lacking. I'm not saying all, but many probably can't put a finger on what exactly makes the 2K series the lesser game.

# 70 Woodweaver @ 01/11/10 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
I don't think it's anger. I think it's an internet forum trend. 2K Sports has a philosophy of marketing that a majority of members here don't agree with. The first and obvious reaction is to compare that marketing philosophy to other developers that offer a different approach and cry foul. The second reaction, one that we see a lot of here, is a negative trend that borderlines on blind hate.

It's also a standard that they don't hold consistently among other titles. I see much nitpicking over certain stadiums being incorrect, yet we don't see this same standard applied to a game like The Show, a game that claimed last year we would see proper proportions in player models. Yet, while they are the first to release a video of this year's version, player models still look oddly proportioned. Also, SCEA failed miserably last year with online functionality, and still we don't see them being thrown under the bus as we see some posters have done in this very thread (over the fact that 2K hasn't released gameplay footage).

I want to see footage, and I do expect it by now, but in no way does releasing gameplay footage give you the nod for having the superior game. But, many here feel that way. I think it's safe to say the majority who shout how horrible the 2K baseball franchise is are doing so on the premise that 2K's marketing strategy is lacking. I'm not saying all, but many probably can't put a finger on what exactly makes the 2K series the lesser game.

Your generalizations and assumptions are incorrect. You just have to take peak at The Show forum for about 5 minutes to know this fact.

I think it is safer to say that the majority of gamers that think the 2K series isn't that good simply played the game in its past few incarnations. Read the many bug threads in this forum for exact reasons for these feelings.

# 71 Pared @ 01/12/10 09:17 AM
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but my point was these ballplayers can't offer the amount of input that makes their price worthwhile.

So unless I'm reading it wrong, we're in agreement. But to act like having these players around isn't beneficial to their marketing would be naive.

# 72 Pared @ 01/12/10 09:24 AM
What coverboy(s) hasn't/haven't been a paid endorsement? Of course they all are.

# 73 DaveDQ @ 01/12/10 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
Your generalizations and assumptions are incorrect. You just have to take peak at The Show forum for about 5 minutes to know this fact.

I think it is safer to say that the majority of gamers that think the 2K series isn't that good simply played the game in its past few incarnations. Read the many bug threads in this forum for exact reasons for these feelings.
I understand your point but you are implying that I stated that all those who dislike MLB 2K are fans of The Show. There is a balance in all of this. Take for instance the surge we saw this past year in the Madden 10 team blogging and tweeting about the changes to that game. Some even took it on themselves to post here on the forums. At first it made a great impression and offered a look at how serious they are about making the game better. I enjoyed the blogs.

However, I believe people got lost in "how cool it was" that a guy from the Madden 10 teams was here answering questions etc. When the game arrived, many were let down because that surge of hype created an anticipation that was not lived up to. In turn people here responded in frustration which led to those devs quieting up and getting burnt out. Not to mention some members here were simply out of control, throwing out crude comments.

My point is that blogging, releasing information along the way with videos and images etc. has almost become all some people need to ensure a buy. Nobody is questioning the superiority of The Show of 2K Baseball. I think that's pretty obvious; however, the trend that has occurred is one that leads me to believe there are those that are so caught up in things that deep down they don't want 2K Baseball to succeed. I'm not saying everyone, and most certainly not those who enjoy and truly know why The Show is successful, but read through this post on its own and you will see the trend that Spank referred to as anger.

It's not just in the topic of The Show and 2K Baseball. Its other titles too.

# 74 DaveDQ @ 01/12/10 09:40 AM
By the way, Morneau pulling out a cantaloupe as a reference to Verlander's fastball is hilarious.

# 75 Pared @ 01/12/10 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Obviously, I'm more refering that they prolly got little to no input from the players at all and its just a marketing ploy to try and say "hey we know 2k9 sucked! Its better now we swear!" I fell for that with NHL2k10, I'll be damned if I'll be fooled again.
Why are you even following this marketing to begin with?

It's not for the typical gamer that frequents these forums.

You should know better than that. "Fell for that..." Please.

# 76 brendanrfoley @ 01/12/10 10:31 AM
I want to see gameplay clips and screen shots as much as anyone, but these videos are funny; that can only hope with the masses in marketing 2K10.

# 77 Woodweaver @ 01/12/10 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
I understand your point but you are implying that I stated that all those who dislike MLB 2K are fans of The Show. There is a balance in all of this. Take for instance the surge we saw this past year in the Madden 10 team blogging and tweeting about the changes to that game. Some even took it on themselves to post here on the forums. At first it made a great impression and offered a look at how serious they are about making the game better. I enjoyed the blogs.

However, I believe people got lost in "how cool it was" that a guy from the Madden 10 teams was here answering questions etc. When the game arrived, many were let down because that surge of hype created an anticipation that was not lived up to. In turn people here responded in frustration which led to those devs quieting up and getting burnt out. Not to mention some members here were simply out of control, throwing out crude comments.

My point is that blogging, releasing information along the way with videos and images etc. has almost become all some people need to ensure a buy. Nobody is questioning the superiority of The Show of 2K Baseball. I think that's pretty obvious; however, the trend that has occurred is one that leads me to believe there are those that are so caught up in things that deep down they don't want 2K Baseball to succeed. I'm not saying everyone, and most certainly not those who enjoy and truly know why The Show is successful, but read through this post on its own and you will see the trend that Spank referred to as anger.

It's not just in the topic of The Show and 2K Baseball. Its other titles too.
I see what you're getting at now, and it is a very interesting point! Without making any judgement calls about anyone's marketing strategies...but given the "audience" you describe above and the basic marketing tenet of "pulling" vs. "pushing" your audience toward your product, it would seem prudent to develop some plan (possibly assigning specialists) to interface via the mediums you describe above with specific focus on creating excitement while balancing management of expectations.

I suppose my main point is, rather than railing against it, embrace it. Use it to an advantage.

# 78 Pared @ 01/13/10 09:40 AM
Cut out the bickering. Only warning. And ease up on your comments, Supastar.

And NHL has nothing to do with MLB. Leave it in that forum.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.