Home
MLB 10 News Post

DAY 2

First thing we did was play a FULL game when I arrived today. Russell would choose the Minnesota Twins and I chose the St. Louis Cardinals (No Holliday). After playing him yesterday for 5 innings and only seeing a run between us I knew we were going to be in for another pitcher's duel. Starting Pitcher Brad Penny (Cards) and his opposing pitcher(Slowery? - Not sure if it was him or Baker) would battle it out for 7 innings. In the 4th(thereabouts), Slowery would give up a lone solo HR to Bengie Molina. Molina got ahead in the count and hit a knee high curveball into the LF bleachers. This would be all the Cards would need. The Twins had a couple opportunities in the game but their biggest came in the bottom of the 7th when Span would lead off with a base hit. Mauer would come up and drive one DEEP to LF-CF to the track but it would be hauled in by Rasmus who had to run a long way and Span was caught by a hair as he was almost to third base. Penny was on top of his game with 8 K's. Penny's curveball was hitting the low strike zone early in the game but was falling out of the zone later and Russell wasn't able to lay off. Penny also threw inside fastballs for K's on a few occasions that locked the Twinkies out. The Twins next opportunity to score would be when Penny was taken out of the game. Ryan Franklin would be pulled with a runner on 1st and no outs in the 9th. Motte came in and slammed the door. The Cards other run came on a bases loaded 3-1 pitch by Pat Neshak (I swung too). Neshak was MASTERFUL. I couldn't figure out the submariner who was just plain hard for me to pick up the ball out of his hand. I believe Russell had 10 hits to my 8.

An outstanding game and Russell was a First Class Act taking the loss. I wouldn't have expected it any other way!

OBSERVATIONS:

There is no quick pitching!!! The pitcher cannot hit a button to speed up ONLY the batter!

Saw 2 fans at the same time down the RF line reaching over the wall near the ground trying to scoop foul ball.

PITCHING

The meter looks the same but somehow just feels better. It does seem to penalize you worse the more you miss the meter. But the good part about it is when you do hit the meter you are hitting your spot, near or very near where you wanted the ball to end up. When hitting pause you can observe each pitch and it will tell you near or very near or not.

Fireworks display after hometown HR are only if the team actually does it in real life (i.e. there wouldn't be any for the New York Yankees.

GRAPHICS

Now that I've seen the game again I conclude that they are close in comparison to last year's graphics. I'm used to ONLINE which isn't nearly as good as OFFLINE graphics. However, this isn't a bad thing as far as I'm concerned. It's still more immersive to me this year due to the LIGHTING. It's easier to see the ball too. The animations are so smooth and there are many many new ones. I think the game is drop dead gorgeous.

BROADCAST VIEW

This is for you to decide. You may or may not like it. Your choice. There were a couple times where we should of made plays on balls but for the most part its not too difficult and after some more practice maybe we both would of made those plays.

There were new stat overlays that I hadn't seen before. I really couldn't tell you what any one of them were because for the most part we sped through those. I do recall one about about average mph for both starting pitchers.

AUDIO

The last day of CES wasn't so busy and therefore we could hear it better this time as you'll see in the videos. The crowd is WAY more lively for the home team.

OTHER THINGS

The sign in MIN will be animated when the game is released. I know someone asked that question.

Saw the 3D version of the game and as Rman said it is pretty cool. Have no idea if it will play on current PS3 with firmware.

The video recorder I was using is 720P. Have no idea why the contrast was blooming in these videos. The color therefore isn't as good as my previously posted videos.

Videos ( Keep checking back here as video links will be posted here. Some are lengthy so the videos probably won't show up for at least another 40 minutes)

1. Rman/Chris playing (Throwing strikes purposely):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFb-XssPbn0
2. Daylight Transition #1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYVmHpM0PBg
3. Daylight Transition #2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwjrivvGp_w
5. HR Derby #1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q40UCtcvI5U
6. HR Derby #2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdDdnVEWorY
7. Pitching Knockout:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbXcLf_HkPY
8. Pitching Training/Simulation Game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz-YdybNF6g

Game: MLB '10: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 66 - View All
MLB '10: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 81 GimmeAD @ 01/11/10 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan
Anyway for B Ma to program me to have patince when im up to bat?
I wish. I hate when I'm behind in the count because I get so antsy and usually swing even when I know a ball is coming.

Also am I the only person who bought a PS3 JUST for The Show? My friends ripped on me dropping, back then, $400 on a system for one game. To me it was an easy decision.

# 82 beau21 @ 01/11/10 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeAD
I wish. I hate when I'm behind in the count because I get so antsy and usually swing even when I know a ball is coming.

Also am I the only person who bought a PS3 JUST for The Show? My friends ripped on me dropping, back then, $400 on a system for one game. To me it was an easy decision.
Shoooot no.

Not by a long shot 'round here.

# 83 GimmeAD @ 01/11/10 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau21
Shoooot no.

Haha I hoped so. I don't know what took me so long to start posting here.

# 84 Yanksrock08 @ 01/11/10 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
This is true.
Hopefully its accurate. Arod has great accuracy and strength. No way he should have as many errors as he has in my season.

# 85 dmbfan1970 @ 01/11/10 01:27 AM
Quote:
The meter was on when I was playing the games you are watching in the videos and was working, was it accurate? I don't know, take a look at the throw in the first video from Manny. I did not get the meter maxed out due to the button sensitivity on the PS3 controller. The throw was a lame duck to 2nd base.
HOLY CRAP. I now understand what you guys mean by the throwing fielding meter now. Gawd I'm an idiot. When I think of throwing meter for fielding I think of the one for MVP '05. An actual looking meter. Not the circle meter that is on the show. Geezus, I feel really really stupid. Thanks for clarifying this Rman. And sorry to everyone else for the confusion I caused earlier in thread.

# 86 GimmeAD @ 01/11/10 01:28 AM
It was so funny when MLB Network started. I would see Vasgersian talking and immediately feel like I was playing The Show.

# 87 Speedy @ 01/11/10 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau21
Shoooot no.

I folded as well.

# 88 GimmeAD @ 01/11/10 01:34 AM
Yea one thing that I think is very important is more doubles hit over OFer's heads. I know they added that last year but it didn't seem to happen nearly as much as it should have.

# 89 PLite14 @ 01/11/10 01:34 AM
The daytime lighting now looks unbelievable. Before, day games just felt like a video game in a virtual world. Now, they look like an actual ballgame during a summer day.

# 90 dmbfan1970 @ 01/11/10 01:36 AM
Also forgot to mention that there is definitely better ball collision detection going on. One team all three of us saw the SS, CF, LF try to go after a ball and the ball bounced between them and came up and hit one of the players faces and bounced off.

So this is another aspect that makes it seem more real. Balls can get kicked and smothered on dives and such.

# 91 bukktown @ 01/11/10 01:38 AM
Quote:
I got that 2K7 feeling when we played using the broadcast cam, it looked like the 2K7 cam.
It does seem similar. Of course, that is, without the framerate problems as the camera pans across the diamond.

# 92 GimmeAD @ 01/11/10 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan1970
Also forgot to mention that there is definitely better ball collision detection going on. One team all three of us saw the SS, CF, LF try to go after a ball and the ball bounced between them and came up and hit one of the players faces and bounced off.

So this is another aspect that makes it seem more real. Balls can get kicked and smothered on dives and such.
Can't wait to see a batted ball get smothered instead of the same animation where it hits of the glove and just stops rolling.

Ugh I can't wait for this game to come out...

# 93 metal134 @ 01/11/10 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
I'll clarify some things on the pitching meter. Due to complaints B Ma took a look at the pitching meter and the result based on your input heres what he did. He tuned the meter so that its now harder to hit the sweat spot in contrast when you hit the sweet spot your pitches will no go more in the general area that you targeted. Now you also have to take into consideration the pitchers confidence, the confidence of the pitch being used, and the pitchers attributes for that said pitch.

In our game we were both pitching extremely well but we left some runs out there on the field you will still hang pitches and B Ma only tweaked the system the pitching in our game is still not an exact science and it never will be. Its designed that way, even when you are feeling it in a game you will still have those pitches where you do everything right and its still a good pitch to hit. When everyone gets a chance to play the game we think you will like the tweaks and changes that where made to the pitching aspect of the game.
I'm interested to see for myself how this works out. I was really happy with the way the meter was done last year. I felt that control could have been slightly more erratic, but using my RTTS pitchers, I've been walking 60-70 batters a season.

# 94 Blzer @ 01/11/10 02:21 AM
Is the broadcast camera available for Home Run Derby? I noticed you didn't use it in the videos.

# 95 FindingTim @ 01/11/10 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeAD
I did the same thing. For years, I refused to buy any baseball games because MVP 2005 was "never to be topped" and "the greatest sports video game of all-time" and i was furious that my baby had been taken away from me (along with the 2K NFL series might I add)

so for 4 years I boycotted baseball video games because "nothing could come close to MVP"

...but then... I got tempted to do a little research and after reading these forums and watching gameplay trailers, I decided I could not deprive the baseball fan in me any longer. and so I said "who needs groceries in college?" and put down 400+ dollars for a PS3 and The Show 09.

I struggled with it for a while, and questioned my financial investment. but once I got the hang of it, I fell in love. The passion grew. finally, I realized that MVP 2005 was not the one.

The rest is history.

# 96 dmbfan1970 @ 01/11/10 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Is the broadcast camera available for Home Run Derby? I noticed you didn't use it in the videos.
The default camera was used at the beginning and then you'll notice he changed it midway thru first vid to have it kind of follow behind the ball. Not sure if it was called broadcast.

# 97 Tommyklaid @ 01/11/10 02:28 AM
Coming home from work and seeing threads like these put a smile on my face...can't wait til' March guys!

# 98 JermaineDye05 @ 01/11/10 02:31 AM
YES!!!

A strikeout without a cut scene!! I love it.

# 99 Galvatron @ 01/11/10 02:41 AM
Did I see a headfirst slide into 1st by Crawford during that double play in the first vid??!? Amazing! I see new music has finally been added for the game intros(although it was skipped over during play) And were those new bat sounds also?

# 100 GimmeAD @ 01/11/10 02:48 AM
I must say, from the little I've seen, I LOVE that you can instantly tell whether you went or not on a check swing.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.