Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

IGN has the juice.

Quote:
"Electronic Arts says next Madden title will be different. Significantly.

During a conference call with investors this afternoon, CEO John Riccitiello stated both Dead Space 2 and an "innovative" Madden, presumably Madden NFL 2011, will be available during the company's 2011 fiscal year, which ranges from April 2010 through March 2011.

"Looking at Fiscal 2011, I think we've got a fabulous title plan," Riccitiello stated. "We've got a great new version of Medal of Honor, a revitalized Need for Speed, Sims on console, FIFA in a World Cup year, an innovative and new take on Madden, Dead Space 2, Crysis at full margins, a new MMA game, and many others."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Beardown @ 01/12/10 05:32 PM
I will just sit and hope innovation = new engine. I feel that is where the game can have its biggest impact in feeling different and innovative. I do not believe this will be the case as they state we will never see this coming, but one can always hope. The bottom line is Madden needs a change, the sales prove it. It has become stale whether we like to admit it or not, I will admit it and I still enjoy Madden and play it just about every night. I may not like the change they are about to make but it is probably a good thing in the long run for Madden.

I would have thought it was presentation but they did not give presentation from this year a true chance, cut-scenes did not work correctly, replays were screwed up, problems with team chants, and on and on.

I enjoy the speculation as it gives us something to do while we wait for the new game to release. So I am going to continue playing Madden 10 and hope for the best for Madden 11 while trying to keep my emotions in check as EA is great at hype, which I have learned over and over again.

# 122 spankdatazz22 @ 01/12/10 08:14 PM
I think a "new, innovative" approach is needed. I think the approach they seemed to take last year (trying to one-up NFL2K5) really wasn't what was needed. Taking that approach in 2005 or 2006 would've worked. In 2009 it just seemed silly (to still be behind a much older, last gen title in so many key areas). To this point the only thing that can be said Madden has shown innovation is maybe Pro-Tak, but most concede that the generic title Backbreaker will quickly surpass it in terms of how players interact/tackle. That'll leave Madden with having done next to nothing innovative for the time it's had exclusivity. Pretty bad.

I'm not sure what this new guy's background is or how he's improved/shown innovation with the titles he's worked on, but a fresh approach is needed. At this point Madden's success is predicated on EA eliminating any competitor that could be a threat versus the quality of the title itself. True innovation would bring fans back to the title more because they want to come back, and less because they don't have any other options.

# 123 Valdarez @ 01/12/10 08:20 PM
My money is still on the following if it is in relation to M11 and not a new title:

1) Better Presentation / Commentary
2) Cheaper Unit Price / Monthly Fee for Online Play (get more sales that way and then bleed the committed online players dry). This is something that Peter Moore covets and IMHO something that EA Sports will trend towards if he continues at the helm.
3) Story / Drama Driven Gaming

# 124 CreatineKasey @ 01/12/10 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
My money is still on the following if it is in relation to M11 and not a new title:

1) Better Presentation / Commentary
2) Cheaper Unit Price / Monthly Fee for Online Play (get more sales that way and then bleed the committed online players dry). This is something that Peter Moore covets and IMHO something that EA Sports will trend towards if he continues at the helm.
3) Story / Drama Driven Gaming
The problem I see with charging players for monthly play is that most people would only be willing to pay for about 6 months of the year unless they have continual updates. I don't think they'd alienate the hardcore base like that.

# 125 green94 @ 01/12/10 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfos81
This is straight from Ian's twitter page.

Rubber band AI and arcade gameplay wouldn't be Madden innovations. Our goals haven't changed: 1hr ago

Thankyou Madden Gods :applause:
Quote:
Exactly,
btw Ian's cracking up at the speculation of some of you. He's already said their goals haven't changed. Guys take a chill pill.

Via Ian's twitter:

Rubber band AI and arcade gameplay wouldn't be Madden innovations. Our goals haven't changed: 1 hour ago
Quote:
We'll we can join Ian now and have a few laughs. While we watch the blind leading the blind. Time to get a drink
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Via Ian's twitter pg.

Rubber band AI and arcade gameplay wouldn't be Madden innovations. Our goals haven't changed: http://bit.ly/IMr9H about 1 hour ago from web
Quote:
That rules out Madden going for more arcade or Wii style gameplay.
Ian's already said, Rubber band AI and arcade gameplay wouldn't be Madden innovations. And their goals haven't changed.

Sounds to me like they still want "Everything You See on Sundays"!
I'm more impressed that you posted the same thing 4 times within a 30 minute span.

# 126 Bgamer90 @ 01/12/10 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
The problem I see with charging players for monthly play is that most people would only be willing to pay for about 6 months of the year unless they have continual updates. I don't think they'd alienate the hardcore base like that.
Yeah I doubt that they would ever make people pay to play online. That would be crazy and make many stop playing the game online.

# 127 Cusefan @ 01/12/10 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastapadre
ESPN has posted up an interview with David Hufford from Microsoft that goes through various features of the Xbox360 and the ways they tie into sports gaming. What is most interesting is when the subject of Project Natal comes up as the response is all about how it could potentially work with a football game.

I think what Natal is going to enable is a whole new level of interactivity. You can imagine huddling up with your guys and you call a play in the huddle with your voice. You don’t use the menu on the screen to scroll through, you’re actually calling a play in the huddle and you would literally walk up to the line of scrimmage as you were taking the snap from center and you drop back to pass in your living room. As a kid growing up, I spent tons and tons of time pretending I was Joe Montana or Jerry Rice, and now we’re going to be able to bring that childhood experience into the virtual world. It’s really going to bring sports games alive.

Could this be a little foreshadowing about what was discussed yesterday with the “innovative and new take on Madden”? It now appears that the statement actually does have to do with Madden 11 in some capacity. With a time frame being offered in reference to the new and innovative Madden when the yearly game is locked into a date that could be an indication of being Natal related. However that would conflict with how Natal is said to be used for brand new properties and not integrated into those that have already been released. The possibility is there for a Madden 11 created specifically for Natal.

It’s become clear that motion controls are well suited to individual sports games but not team sports games. So this could work for something like the career modes where a single player is controlled. What are your thoughts on a Project Natal based football offering?
Sounds about right

# 128 23 @ 01/13/10 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by killgod
while it's possible for a mode in madden or version of madden with natal, there's not a chance in hell that they'd scrap the tradtional normal version just like that.

but if that is the case, it's not helping the gameplay any so i hope that's not where time and resources are going.

natal might end up being cool/fun, but that way to game will never replace the controller..no way!
Not only that but Madden is not an xbox exclusive so there is no way they just skip a PS3 version just to try that

# 129 Nza @ 01/13/10 02:50 AM
Honestly, Natal for serious gameplay seems really dumb to me. I don't want to pretend I'm playing something like football to that extent - I'd prefer not to look like a complete wanker while playing a football videogame. Like the Wii, it seems like more of a party feature to me.

As for the "innovative" Madden, it's hard to tell but I think it must involve something to do with online play. That's the only thing that would get a CEO excited about changes to Madden IMO while also not being an arcadey refocus (taking Ian for his word there).

"An innovative and new take on Madden" doesn't mean Madden 11. To me it sounds like a new title. Madden Online, MMOFootball, anyone?

# 130 roadman @ 01/13/10 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by killgod
Am I the only one that's a bit nervous that the first Madden 11 annoucement is teh EA CEO is set out to please the shareholders.

Obviously that's par for the course, but I don't recall this being an "announcement" any other year.

So I'd assume they are out to make "as much money as possible" this year. Aka microtransaction mania?

"Please pay 30 XBL Credits to advance to Week 2" *BARF*
Probably not, but I think we need to keep in perspective that the CEO has had that title for less than 2 yrs. So, last year, he was talking about the take-over of another company.

In his short span, it appears that he would prefer to be behind the spotlight, not in it.

# 131 mm boost @ 01/13/10 09:26 AM
Natal would be gay and I'd never buy the game if thats what it is for. I am not going to stand in my living room, a grown man, and jump around and talk to a video game. I don't see how the hell that would work through the course of a whole game. how you gonna throw a ball with accuracy deep or short, how you gonna run the ball, how you gonna block, how you gonna tackle? Would I end up spearing my tv? I highly doubt this is what is being referred to as innovative. Cause they are acting like its something we won't expect, and the Natal thing has become very popular lately, so I doubt its that.

I doubt its online play, last year was their big announcement to do the online ****, so i HIGHLY doubt that is what is so ground breaking.

Again, I believe it has something to do with either of the following, if not all....new physics engine, new broadcast presentation, and a new price tag. Just my guesses, but really, what else is there to do to the game to make it "innovative?" The graphics are there, the animations are getting there, and presentation is..meh. Really the only thing left to blow us away with is realistic broadcast (pre-game, half time, post game) and a realistic physics engine for player interaction.

# 132 Rocky @ 01/13/10 10:42 AM
It's probably a gimmicky new feature that they throw out every year.

# 133 marshallfever @ 01/13/10 01:24 PM
Why is it that most of the first posters are thinking this is a bad thing? When I read innovation, I immediately thought of a good thing. Not too sure exactly what they mean by it, but i presumed it was a good thing.

Even though i really enjoyed Madden 10, i really don't know where the franchise would go. Yes, it was going in the more realistic route which is always a plus; but i would love for them to throw us something completely different and new.

I'm gamed for whatever this is

# 134 Hova57 @ 01/13/10 01:33 PM
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10114352-64.html

www.nvidia.com/object/io_1227078291811.html?_templateId=320

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1237287245570.html

based on this like i said in the front page poll, i think they had a development team trying to get it to work right, i believe pro-tack was the first part now with it cooperating with PhysX it would be awesome . check it out

# 135 CreatineKasey @ 01/13/10 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10114352-64.html

www.nvidia.com/object/io_1227078291811.html?_templateId=320

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1237287245570.html

based on this like i said in the front page poll, i think they had a development team trying to get it to work right, i believe pro-tack was the first part now with it cooperating with PhysX it would be awesome . check it out
Good find. That'd be a great direction for them to take.

# 136 mm boost @ 01/13/10 11:02 PM
Exactly, this was my guess...a whole new physics engine. Now just imagine them building on the presentation from Madden 10, coupled with the graphics, depth of franchise, and now a robust physics engine to boot? Innovative would be an understatement. This would blow anything away that we have ever seen before. And if you think about it, it makes sense. They came out with the madden arcade for players that don't prefer sim football, and could be their way of showing that they are moving to an all-new level of sim football. This could be what everyone has been waiting for. And if you think about it, Madden 10 was being developed before this technology was purchased, so it couldn't be included in that installment. However, it has given them a long time to be building Madden 11 off of this engine.

Honestly, now that I think about it, I think they should just change the name from Madden to simply NFL 2011. Seriously, the only presence Madden has on this game is when you have him select your plays (which I have never done in the history of the franchise).

# 137 videlsports @ 01/13/10 11:59 PM
I think Mark will work on The madden arcade game. But I actually hope he works on th regular MAdden title, bcause once the NFL see's that. it will be the last year of the exclusive contract. LOL. And I could care less either way.Because 2k could enter the fold again.

# 138 Tiko7523 @ 01/14/10 12:38 AM
Quote:
Wow!
Electronic Arts and Take-Two Interactive Software are adopting Nvidia's PhysX technology

Adhering to the laws of physics
The goal of Nvidia's technology -- based on the laws of physics -- is to make game objects respond in a realistic way to physical events. More conventional technology uses a canned response, in which the same response is repeated over and over. For example, a window breaks, or a person falls the same way every time. In a PhysX-enabled football sports game, however, the angle and velocity of the impact is calculated by the GPU to generate a real-time response that is different every time.
The technology was meant to run on the GPU, according to Jon Peddie, whose firm tracks developments in the graphics chip industry. "It's a GPU thing, and the fact that EA and Take-Two are coming out (with support) gives you a clue why," Peddie said. "This really is a significant event," he said, "enabling the GPU to do physics."

I like it! Now thats what I thought "New and Innovative" meant.
Some real-time animations, now thats going to be "next gen".
just by this i am guessing that MADDEN 11 will be made on ps3 and ported to xbox360 for the first time this generation???? anyone have insight on that????

# 139 ridemooses @ 01/14/10 02:37 AM
I think it means that Madden is going to break out of the shell it's been in for too many years. Hopefully this brings fun, realistic change maybe even a game (what seems to be the trend in games now days) which does not feel like the same old game each time you play it.

Pretty exciting stuff.

# 140 Hova57 @ 01/14/10 08:41 AM
the thing for me is that they have had it at least for a year. in the article it says it is easy to use and implement . its just getting the coding right. so i'm sure money was allocated just to a development and research to get this to work i'm sure it will be in 11 they have had enough time to code. that's why Ian was so interested in BB cause he wanted to see how they compare to what they were doing.

here's link also i found : http://www.emergent.net/en/News/Pres...I-DEVELOPMENT/

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.