Home
MLB 2K10 News Post

IGN has posted their hands-on preview of Major League Baseball 2K10.

Quote:
"The single clutch moment I played had my double-A team down one run with two men on in the bottom of the ninth. All I had to do was slap a single into the outfield and we'd win the game. Well, it didn't happen, but the potential was there for an exciting moment. Aside from standard games, you'll also take part in drills to build your attribute points."

Game: Major League Baseball 2K10Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 33 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 a walrus @ 01/13/10 10:43 PM
They simplified the pitching controls & provided an option to make the game quicker..Added a msg box that displays the pitch type.Rather then improve upon.. the graphics are a bit .....worse.

I really am looking foward to this./

# 22 nemesis04 @ 01/13/10 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
I don't know, I can see merit in it. Some guys go up there (particularly with two strikes) and just try to slap the ball in play. To that end, it is a conscious effort to change the swing, so it makes sense to represent it in some fashion. I see the point that it doesn't necessarily need to be manual, but it could actually help add more depth to the pitcher/batter matchup depending on how well it's implemented IMO.
I just see it as being frustrating. Basically if you have two strikes with your hitter, you are saying to yourself that your next pitch is going to be a defensive swing. Because there is no way you are going to be able to think contact and last minute decide defensive. Way too much, imo.

# 23 odbman @ 01/13/10 10:51 PM
Man am I happy I got a PS3 .The hands on has already convinced me not to pre order or buy this game.The show is the way to go.

# 24 SoxFan01605 @ 01/13/10 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I just see it as being frustrating. Basically if you have two strikes with your hitter, you are saying to yourself that your next pitch is going to be a defensive swing. Because there is no way you are going to be able to think contact and last minute decide defensive. Way too much, imo.
I think we are looking at two different things. To clarify, I agree 100% that switching to a "defensive swing" on the fly would be frustrating and probably pointless if the contact swing works right. I'm thinking more along the lines of going up there with the predetermined mindset to "protect the plate" and just put the bat on the ball. There would be no real power behind it...just base contact. That's how I'm viewing this addition (if anyone played 2K7, pressing UP on the stick would do something like this...but control lag made it sketchy at best).

To that end, I can see where it would add depth to the controls. As I said...certainly not necessary, but I can see it as adding depth to the user control in those settings. I think it falls in line with their development philosophy...2K usually tries to offer as much user control as possible (to a fault at times, perhaps). We'll see how it works out. At least, like you said, it's not required for use for those that don't want to bother.

# 25 nemesis04 @ 01/13/10 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
I think we are looking at two different things. To clarify, I agree 100% that switching to a "defensive swing" on the fly would be frustrating and probably pointless if the contact swing works right. I'm thinking more along the lines of going up there with the predetermined mindset to "protect the plate" and just put the bat on the ball. There would be no real power behind it...just base contact. That's how I'm viewing this addition (if anyone played 2K7, pressing UP on the stick would do something like this...but control lag made it sketchy at best).

To that end, I can see where it would add depth to the controls. As I said...certainly not necessary, but I can see it as adding depth to the user control in those settings. I think it falls in line with their development philosophy...2K usually tries to offer as much user control as possible (to a fault at times, perhaps). We'll see how it works out. At least, like you said, it's not required for use for those that don't want to bother.

I understand where you are coming from. I could see it in 3-2 counts looking for the walk or 0-2 counts trying to stay a live. We shall see!

# 26 Sandman42 @ 01/14/10 12:19 AM
No mention of anything with fielding and the animations. That is by far the biggest issue to me.

# 27 tj1182 @ 01/14/10 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman42
No mention of anything with fielding and the animations. That is by far the biggest issue to me.
I know right. This IGN hands-on was horrible. Hopefully Gamespot does a better job.

# 28 brendanrfoley @ 01/14/10 12:31 AM
Half the "new" things mentioned in this preview are not new (button based throwing to bases, hurry up baseball). I take anything in this article with a giant grain of salt.

# 29 rock85 @ 01/14/10 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Very poor write-up as he was all over the board. Its obvious he did not go in with a gameplan and spent about 3 hours with the game.

Anyway, why would they do a separate function for a defensive swing? A defensive swing is a reaction not a predetermined thought, imo. The easy solution would be not to use it but not sure why they felt the need to add something like that? To me it should be part of the contact swing and based on the batter's ability to fight off pitches. What the hell do I know, lol!
Take it more as a two strike swing you know make contact cut down on the swing avoid a strikeout

# 30 hitstreak13 @ 01/14/10 01:48 AM
I also hope that they didn't get rid of Single A clubs.

# 31 MrChainsaw @ 01/14/10 03:47 AM
I am really interested to see what they did with the MLB Today feature (keep in mind I never played NBA 2k10 so if it is the exact same I won't know the difference).

# 32 King Gro23 @ 01/14/10 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitstreak13
I also hope that they didn't get rid of Single A clubs.
Yeah me either, but if getting rid of Single-A teams is the Key to having no roster limitations. I am all down for it.

# 33 DaveDQ @ 01/14/10 07:22 AM
One of the largest internet gaming sites out there and they failed to touch on two of the things this game's previous version failed at, CPU batting tendencies and fielding. All he mentioned about fielding is that there is alternate button mapping to throw.

It really bothers me that these "professionals" spend 3 hours with a game and walk away with very little useful information.

# 34 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/14/10 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj1182
I know right. This IGN hands-on was horrible. Hopefully Gamespot does a better job.

I wouldn't hold my breath, they do just about the same thing. And have a non sports guy preview/review things.

We have to wait till sports gaming sites like this one gets their hands on unfortunately. At least there will be specific things looked for when that happens.

# 35 countryboy @ 01/14/10 08:34 AM
I don't like the defensive swing being a separate "function" neither. Maybe seeing it first hand will clear up doubt that I have about it, but I wonder if it will be too successful thus cutting down significantly the number of strikeouts? Also, I wonder if their is a separate rating for defensive swing or what, if any, ratings does it utilize to determine a hitter's success using it?

# 36 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/14/10 08:41 AM
Defensive swing is the exact same thing that was in 2K7 where you flicked up on the stick to foul off pitches. It seems they are bringing it back, for whatever I do not know.

I did not like it or use it because it felt too arcade. As if every player was so perfect they can just foul off pitches till they get what their choosing. I would not make use of this feature.

# 37 boomhauertjs @ 01/14/10 08:50 AM
If they didn't fix how the outfielders moved, I'm not interested. I think I'm going back to MVP 04 on the PC.

# 38 DaveDQ @ 01/14/10 09:15 AM
The defensive swing is a good addition. It happens in baseball. The writer didn't explain it thoroughly, but what he did state is that it is difficult to time it. You have to time it and determine that's what you want to do. That makes complete sense.

This is not a "fourth strike" option. it's not like you can flick your stick left or right and you are guaranteed a foul off. This is about gauging the count and pitch selection and defending your current situation.

# 39 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/14/10 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
The defensive swing is a good addition. It happens in baseball. The writer didn't explain it thoroughly, but what he did state is that it is difficult to time it. You have to time it and determine that's what you want to do. That makes complete sense.

This is not a "fourth strike" option. it's not like you can flick your stick left or right and you are guaranteed a foul off. This is about gauging the count and pitch selection and defending your current situation.

It is the same thing that was in 2K7. They only switched it to left or right instead of just flicking up.

IMO, having it on a separate swing mechanic, now poses problems as far as a natural feel to hitting, and crosses into the lines of sim or not.

Where as in The Show for instance. 1-2 count 2-2 count or even 3-2 count, you see a pitching coming in that will be borderline, and it tails outside or too high or too low in the zone, you know swinging at it last minute is going to most likely foul it off with a good vision hitter to stay alive for another pitch. It feels natural because you are still using the same swing mechanic.

That gameplay mechanic is incorporated into the batter interface. Where as having this have its own swing mechanic that is not a part of the batter interface, just feels cheap IMO, and almost takes you out of the experience. It did not work well with flicking up on the stick in 2K7, and having it even more unorthodox to your swing, it seems even worse.

# 40 ckarlic @ 01/14/10 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
John Kruk has been added? I think that if he can sound lively and mesh well with Thorne and Phillips, I'm all for it... but I don't know if I've ever heard him call a baseball game, I've only seen him on Baseball Tonight..
You know, as a Yankees fan I can't stand John Kruk. He seems to always have a grudge against them.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.