Home
Tecmo Bowl Throwback News Post

Joystiq has posted a rumor on Tecmo Bowl Throwback possibly coming to XBLA and PSN. How cool would that be?

Quote:
"A trusted source (the same who provided us with early knowledge of Lucidity and NBA2K10 Draft Combine) has just informed Joystiq that Tecmo's planned Tecmo Bowl update for XBLA is also coming to PSN. Dubbed "Tecmo Bowl Throwback," the game is a remake of the NES classic, complete with HD graphics and an updated soundtrack -- it also retains the original plays and team stats. And for those of you who fear the fancy-schmancy graphics of high-def games, Tecmo is also including an option to play Tecmo Bowl in its original state. There's even team customization, ensuring your lifelong dream of creating a horribly out-of-shape and uncompetitive Joystiq team is a real possibility."

Game: Tecmo Bowl ThrowbackReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 UF Fan @ 01/13/10 11:25 PM
wow.

# 2 Vilagooch @ 01/13/10 11:39 PM
Hoping it's Tecmo SUPER Bowl, but not holding my breath. Still good and hopefully will be on Australian PSN!

# 3 TheWatcher @ 01/14/10 12:06 AM
It sounds like it will be a remake of the original.

I'm all for that. I'd pay to play that.

# 4 McLite @ 01/14/10 03:07 AM
I would pay good money for Super Tecmo Bowl and online leagues.

# 5 dbeth @ 01/14/10 07:25 AM
I hope it's TONS better than their DS remake. That game was straight garbage! Teams were "customizable", but if you didn't change anything, every player had the same player #s and every game had 1 of 2 or 3 stat combinations. Just garbage.

Plus, the game wasn't even close to challenging...at the hardest level.

I hope Tecmo learned from this and does a TRUE remake this time.

# 6 TheWatcher @ 01/14/10 08:40 AM
I still play Tecmo Bowl all the time. The original Mame arcade version, Tecmo Bowl for NES, Tecmo Super Bowl for NES, Tecmo Super Bowl for Genesis (the music in that game was hot)... Tecmo Super Bowl 3: Final Edition for Super NES. All my favorites.

When you play it, you never think about all the stuff we complain about in other football games. It's just fun, and strangely enough it feels right. They don't try to do too much.

# 7 CreatineKasey @ 01/14/10 08:47 AM
It's gotta be Tecmo Super Bowl. That was THE classic football game. Tecmo Bowl was great of course... but TSB is the one of legends.

# 8 elgreazy1 @ 01/14/10 10:25 AM
Didn't Tecmo recently remake a basketball game that completely failed as DLC? I don't have the highest of hopes here.

# 9 Mintsa @ 01/14/10 10:37 AM
It won't have any real nfl players (new or old) will it ??

# 10 DirtyJerz32 @ 01/14/10 11:01 AM
If this holds true this could be the most fun I've had in a long time. I just hope it's not the DS version.

# 11 BurghFan @ 01/14/10 11:12 AM
That would be awesome. I remember spending many an hour playing Tecmo Bowl on NES then later Tecmo Super Bowl on Genesis. Definitely something I'd download from PSN.

# 12 bkfount @ 01/14/10 11:24 AM
The Wii already has a modified version of Tecmo Bowl. They can't release the real game we want because of the NFL license.

# 13 TreyIM2 @ 01/14/10 11:38 AM
All I can say is, "Uhh, why??"

# 14 jyoung @ 01/14/10 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeth
I hope it's TONS better than their DS remake. That game was straight garbage! Teams were "customizable", but if you didn't change anything, every player had the same player #s and every game had 1 of 2 or 3 stat combinations. Just garbage.

Agreed with everything said here.

The DS game was a huge disappointment.

# 15 Badboy49er @ 01/14/10 02:56 PM
I reaaaaallly hope its Tecmo Super bowl, man if we could have original AND current rosters plus online that would be awesome

# 16 Cardot @ 01/14/10 05:26 PM
A few years ago, I probably would have been fired up about this, as I was a huge TSB fan. But after the recent attempts that others have described, I can't say I am all that excited.

My dream remake would be a version with updated rosters (or editing ability). And just a few gameplay refinements like not allowing DLinemen to dive and tackle the QB every play, and maybe tweak some of those plays that never succeed. I would also prefer a skill level setting instead of the CPU determining the challenge by the players W/L record.

The NES version my favorite. Followups on the Genesis/SNES added a layer of complexity, but while it got more realistic, it also doubled the time to play a game which really hurt the "Fun" factor for me.

# 17 CreatineKasey @ 01/14/10 06:14 PM
TSB for NES was the best. I played them all... 1, 2, and 3 on Genesis. Also had TSB on the PS1. I also had tecmo bowl. Only one I didn't play was the original arcade one where you wiggle the stick to break tackles.

If we had the NES TSB with old rosters... we would need to start an OS league ASAP.

# 18 HesTheCoach @ 01/14/10 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeth

Agreed. The DS version was an abomination to Tecmo Bowl. I even e-mailed Tecmo about it. Not hard, not challenging and not fun.

Depending on how good this version is I might consider buying a 360. There has to be online play obviously.

It would be awesome if Tecmo made an actual update of the game, ie, a sequel, instead of just a remake with HD graphics. Complete with "team customization" (ie, the NFL without the license).

# 19 TheWatcher @ 01/15/10 07:05 AM
In my opinion, the last great Tecmo Football game was TSB 3: Final Edition for Super Nintendo. The last two have completely sucked. The PS1 version was one of the worst football games ever made. The DS version just makes me sad.

It's just a case of a product and company that had a long dynasty run at one time, then forgot what made their game great in the first place. I think it eventually happens to all franchises. But it's been like 16 years since TSB 3 Final. I hope they finally get it right.

# 20 CreatineKasey @ 01/15/10 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
In my opinion, the last great Tecmo Football game was TSB 3: Final Edition for Super Nintendo. The last two have completely sucked. The PS1 version was one of the worst football games ever made. The DS version just makes me sad.

It's just a case of a product and company that had a long dynasty run at one time, then forgot what made their game great in the first place. I think it eventually happens to all franchises. But it's been like 16 years since TSB 3 Final. I hope they finally get it right.
I played the crap out of that game. Remember leveling your guys? That was really a great concept for it's time.

The gameplay was very nice too.. remember your athletic RB's (Sanders) spinning and juking defenders.

Good times... I miss those games. If I could play a game like that online... so fast paced and fun... I'd make that my main gaming priority without question.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.