Home
MLB 2K10 News Post

2K Sports has just posted their Major League Baseball 2K10 MLB Developer Insight, focusing on art direction.

Quote:
"We went through all the stadiums and scrutinized the architectural details and nuances, in an effort to correct anything we saw that has changed since the previous MLB season. We also introduced some new stadiums not in last year’s game. I’m sure you’ll all be excited to see the new Target Field in Minnesota. We worked off of the blueprints of the actual stadium so our stadium will be spot on in terms of accuracy for Twins fans.

We paid a lot of attention to the fields this year, introducing new technology to the dirt which better portrays wetness, degradation, moisture, rake, wear, and traffic. The grass is equally as sophisticated. We took into account the same lighting properties with our dirt, as well as the actual mow patterns for each stadium. We even went as far as taking into consideration the type & length of grass, and the direction it is mowed. I guess you can say we are a little obsessed with grass tech from our football days. We are sticklers for accuracy because we aim to please our simulation fans everywhere!

The environments capture each ballpark’s look and feel and showcase their specific celebrations, ads, scoreboards, and fans accordingly. We made sure to balance the ads within the parks and colors to mimic life, and you will see more real life advertisement slots and sizes than in MLB 2K9. In general, we wanted the environments to capture the real essence of baseball, but differently for the various stadiums across the league."

Game: Major League Baseball 2K10Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 33 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 blackngoldfan @ 01/17/10 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
Here ya go...
Thanks. Glad to see that "dusk" time of day lighting will be in the game.

# 102 Blzer @ 01/17/10 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
Hehe, i think getting the license fee for it is a bit to much for a sports games. Plus that might set them back a bit and in the economy right now, its not a smart play. I would absolutely LOVE to see it in sports games, but 2K or EA is not willing to pull the trigger right now.

Look how long its taken Backbreaker to get polished up.
Actually, 2K was considering using it in 2K7 or 2K8 (forget which one), but that idea quickly went by them while storyboarding what they wanted to do for that game. I guess it was just going to be too tough within the one year.

And as for the Backbreaker excuse, that was a brand new game, 2K at least has everything in place, NaturalMotion had the tech demos only.

# 103 Jistic @ 01/17/10 08:32 AM
It may not matter if the gameplay sucks. But I gotta give it up for this.

Quote:
Now, the lighting is also accurate to not only the time of day games are played, but also the actual geographic location and orientation of each stadium and time of year your game is taking place. We consciously desaturated the parks slightly and brought the important time of day of “Dusk” into the product.

# 104 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/17/10 09:07 AM
Maybe there is hope around animations... Alan mentioned the use of Inverse Kinematics,

Quote:
(Inverse Kinematics- allows us to pull gloves and feet to their proper location to touch the base or catch the ball) and are now able to have realistic body proportions. The new skeleton also has a flexibility which won’t collapse the body of the player during complicated animations and allows better functioning hands and gloves.
so I googled IK & found this via Wiki:

Quote:
Inverse kinematics is the process of determining the parameters of a jointed flexible object (a kinematic chain) in order to achieve a desired pose. Inverse kinematics is a type of motion planning. Inverse kinematics are also relevant to game programming and 3D animation, where a common use is making sure game characters connect physically to the world, such as feet landing firmly on top of terrain.
Seems like we may have more natural looking/moving Player Models

# 105 Jamin23 @ 01/17/10 12:06 PM
I notice how the numbers on the Phillies jerseys are too big. In real life they aren't that big.

# 106 nemesis04 @ 01/17/10 12:16 PM
^ It does not really look off to me.

# 107 Jamin23 @ 01/17/10 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
^ It does not really look off to me.
It's not a big deal. Just a little observation.

# 108 Blzer @ 01/17/10 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jistic
It may not matter if the gameplay sucks. But I gotta give it up for this.
This was in 2K7, unsure about 2K8, and completely scrapped from 2K9.

Though even 2K7 had some weird red skies and such. From the Gamestop pics, it looks like this may be the best progressive lighting system put in a baseball game to date.

Oh, and the numbers look more than massive. They do need to address that. However I've seen games with tiny numbers (MLB 2K6), and I'd much prefer bigger numbers over smaller numbers. But, I'd also much prefer regular-sized numbers over bigger numbers.

# 109 ablouin @ 01/17/10 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngoldfan
I really hope the sky isn't completely dark at the start of night games. Does anyone know if progressive lighting will be in 2k10?
I can answer:.

First question: no it won't be dark for the start of night games since it's near summer and the sun sets at a later time, also this depends on the location of the actual stadium too.

Yes, There is progressive lighting going thru all the times of day for many weather conditions.

Thanks.

Alan

# 110 Jamin23 @ 01/17/10 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablouin

First question: no it won't be dark for the start of night games since it's near summer and the sun sets at a later time, also this depends on the location of the actual stadium too.

Yes, There is progressive lighting going thru all the times of day for many weather conditions.

Thanks.

Alan
Do you plan on doing something about the numbers and fonts on the jerseys? Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

# 111 Blzer @ 01/17/10 12:54 PM
Quote:

Thanks.

Alan
That's pretty awesome. For "all the times of day", does that mean we can set the hour of day again this year for exhibition games? (like 1:00 AM, etc.)

# 112 DaveDQ @ 01/17/10 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
I wonder why 2K doesn't use Euphoria (BackBreaker football game Tech) for their sports titles like NBA2k, NHL2k, and MLB2k...

they use it for their other games like GTA4 and Red Dead Revolver.

Rockstar used the technology. They are in no way connected with 2K sports. They're simply both published by Take Two. And, after seeing Euphoria used in The Force Unleashed and GTA, I'm not sure it's as realistic as many want to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
Maybe there is hope around animations... Alan mentioned the use of Inverse Kinematics,

so I googled IK & found this via Wiki:

Seems like we may have more natural looking/moving Player Models
Nice lookup.

# 113 topgundie @ 01/17/10 02:03 PM
Not sure if anyone saw this too but they used the old twins script for the twins jerseys and behind home plate in the picture with Morneau. the script should look like the one on the right. the one on the left is what 2k used.

# 114 DaveDQ @ 01/17/10 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
eh, thats not what i been told. Even in NBA2K they said that we have used Image Metrics becuase they have worked with Rockstar and they had a relationship with them. To me that sounded like they were connected in someway.
Well, perhaps I'm wr..I mean..maybe I'm wrrr...What I'm trying to say is I could be Wrr...Wrr..

# 115 Blzer @ 01/17/10 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
Well, perhaps I'm wr..I mean..maybe I'm wrrr...What I'm trying to say is I could be Wrr...Wrr..

# 116 DaveDQ @ 01/17/10 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
lol...nice...

# 117 Artman22 @ 01/17/10 03:21 PM
Quote:
This was in 2K7, unsure about 2K8, and completely scrapped from 2K9.

Though even 2K7 had some weird red skies and such. From the Gamestop pics, it looks like this may be the best progressive lighting system put in a baseball game to date.

Oh, and the numbers look more than massive. They do need to address that. However I've seen games with tiny numbers (MLB 2K6), and I'd much prefer bigger numbers over smaller numbers. But, I'd also much prefer regular-sized numbers over bigger numbers.
Quote:

Thanks.

Alan
This is great news. They also have weather. I also believe this is going to be the best progresive lighting for any baseball game.

# 118 Artman22 @ 01/17/10 03:26 PM
Quote:
That's pretty awesome. For "all the times of day", does that mean we can set the hour of day again this year for exhibition games? (like 1:00 AM, etc.)
I'm guessing you can since 2k7 had it. You could actually set the time for each exhibition game in 2k7.

# 119 topgundie @ 01/17/10 03:30 PM
I have a question, will the ivy at Wrigley be brown in early-mid april? that would be really cool!

# 120 puppies_on_acid @ 01/18/10 10:15 AM
Quote:
Wait wait, did she actually answer B?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.