Home
NHL 10 News Post

Roster update #7 is available for NHL 10, along with Tuner Set 1.03. Post your impressions here.

Quote:
"For this update transactions are up to date as of January 24, 2010 (NHL, AHL, Elitserien, SM-Liiga, NLA).

One new player has been added to the game: G Jarosloav Janus (Norfolk Admirals).

Along with that, ratings have been updated."

What's in Tuner Set 1.03?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_EA

"The major thrust of the changes is to get more goal-scoring variation and loosen up goal scoring a bit. There will be more variety in CPU goalie positioning as well as a bunch of other tweaks to how they position, how fast they can move and accelerate, rebound control, screen effects, reaction speeds, and more.

For online the duration of the post-whistle time has been reduced, and a few gameplay exploits have been reduced.

For offline play once you have the update it will be applied automatically if you still have the Tuning Set option set to Latest (which is the default). Otherwise you can set it to Latest or V1.03. If don't like the changes or prefer to finish your current Dynasties/Be A Pro with a previous tuning version you can also change it (under Gameplay Settings/General). V1.02 is what you'd be using right now if you have the previous update and are set to Latest.

For online play everyone uses the latest tuning update.

There are quite a few changes involved in this update so we'll be watching closely to see how things play out and make any adjustments that are necessary.

More detailed notes on the changes should be posted on the NHL forums/blogs tomorrow. I'll make sure they end up here too."

Game: NHL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
NHL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Fiddy @ 01/29/10 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
im pretty sure you just press the square button at the menu screen
thats correct..

then, if you have sliders set up with the 1.00 version, just adjust in settings menu to use "latest".

# 82 clivo1050 @ 01/29/10 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
anyone else seeing a variety of different save animations now? I only played one game, but I saw a bunch of different save animations I rarely saw with the 1.02 tuner. I even saw a couple break away from a couple glove save attempts. The puck seem much more lose around the goalies in this update. I like it so far.
Yes, I played four games online last night and saw many save animations I had never seen before or had seen rarely. The goalie reaction time now seem much more human and life-like. I've definitely seen a better variety of goals. I've seen some new checking animations also.

This tuner update really makes me want to play this game more often now. It might just pry me away from Fifa 10.

# 83 Hack22 @ 01/29/10 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_EA
I would love to, but that isn't one of the things that is set up to be changed with tuners.
what about the forechecking for offline play. Can that be fixed with the tuner? It feels like only 3-2 gets any kind of CPU forechecking

# 84 Juiceman @ 01/29/10 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMars
I seem to hit more posts and crossbars that I think I should.

MrMars
I have never found a way to deal with this. I use manual aim and can't tell you how many crossbars and pipes I've hit. I mentioned in another thread 5+ a game and that is no exaggeration.

But your whole post in general, I think it would do you well to try lord of the rings sliders and use it on all-star. Go ahead and use manual passing too. They work pretty well especially if you use v1.01.

If you want to expiriment with 1.03 more I'm having the same passing out of the offensive zone issue. Same with draws. This happened before 1.01 came out. Only thing you can try is bumping up pass assist a bit. That should help. But some aspects of passing took a step backwards from the human controlled side.

CPU offense is better. But stick lift is too effective again though for the CPU.

And totally agree with whoever made the the Jody Shelley chasing Kane comment. I'm seeing that with attribute effects maxed and acceleration set to 2/1. Yikes.

I'll keep working on some sliders with 1.03 but after each offline game I'm tempted to go back to 1.01 with custom sliders.

# 85 jsquigg @ 01/29/10 02:06 PM
I played a couple games, one in exhibition and one in my GM mode. I lost 4-1 with Vancouver to New Jersey. Then I won 2-1 with Ottawa against the Islanders (GM). The CPU seemed more aggressive to me. The game isn't perfect, but it seemed that the CPU wasted less time in the neutral zone as well as shot the puck more as opposed to going into "ping pong" pass mode. I'm not saying that there weren't any instances where the CPU skated back and forth repeatedly before dumping or that the CPU didn't make laser passes around the perimeter, it just seemed to happen less. I am also currently using QB's sliders from the "hardcore passing" thread.
I'm not sure the goalies have been looser to me so far, but that could be play style differences. I've no idea how the intangibles affect GM mode either, if they have any effect. I like the AI changes I've seen and haven't needed to change anything yet, so kudos to the NHL team.

# 86 MrMars @ 01/29/10 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceman

I'll keep working on some sliders with 1.03 but after each offline game I'm tempted to go back to 1.01 with custom sliders.
I'll give those sliders you mentioned a shot, but wasn't v1.01 where the goalies were virtually unbeatable?. (picked up the game late never tried v1.01)

MrMars

# 87 Juiceman @ 01/29/10 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMars
I'll give those sliders you mentioned a shot, but wasn't v1.01 where the goalies were virtually unbeatable?. (picked up the game late never tried v1.01)

MrMars
v1.01 I get good varied scoring. The common complaint with v1.01 is that the CPU isn't aggressive enough. But I've not found that to be the case, using custom sliders that is. In all tuners the goalies are pretty unbelievable, but 1.01 offline-speaking has the most human goals, IMO.

# 88 cfiore @ 01/29/10 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceman
v1.01 I get good varied scoring. The common complaint with v1.01 is that the CPU isn't aggressive enough. But I've not found that to be the case, using custom sliders that is. In all tuners the goalies are pretty unbelievable, but 1.01 offline-speaking has the most human goals, IMO.
Juiceman would you mind posting your sliders? I would appreciate it greatly! Thank you in advance!

# 89 jyoung @ 01/29/10 07:48 PM
For a first attempt, the boardplay we've got right now isn't too bad. It's not perfect, but it's definitely a lot better than not having it at all.

From the few games I've played, the puck seems a lot looser now and goalies don't seem nearly as robotic.

Only complaint I have is that the stupid "wind up" wrist shot taken from just above the hashmarks still fools the goalie way too easily, even without a screen in place.

# 90 jyoung @ 01/29/10 10:02 PM
Also, am I just seeing things or is there now a feature that adjusts the jersey colors mid-game if both teams come out in white?

Could've sworn I just played a game where both teams were white coming out but one team somehow switched to darks mid-way through.

# 91 Vikes1 @ 01/30/10 12:53 AM
I've played a few more games now with 1.03, and for me, I'm convinced the game is the better for it.

Playing on All-Star hardcore [with slightly adjusted sliders] the game just feels better to me than before. The cpu defense is pretty sound now, and not easily fooled out of position. It's difficult for me to get in deep, to get a good scoring chance. But when I do get a great scoring chance...that alone is pretty satisfying. Let alone burying one.

I'm also enjoying that the goalies are now playing more realistically, and less robotic than before. So far...I'm not really scoring that much more, but the chances are there.

Imo, the last piece of the NHL puzzle for the game to achieve near greatness, would be...if User/Cpu were much more often forced to dump the puck in. And of course improve the fore checking ability. I suppose that type of gameplay may not have mass appeal. But it sure would move the game even closer to simulation. Just a thought but, I'd like to see that type of gameplay be apart of the hardcore setting.

But as is...I'm really enjoying NHL10. For me, it's a great and interesting challenge. And it's pretty cool that EA Canada is still doing what they can to support the game.

# 92 99ovr @ 01/30/10 05:49 AM
The main point should be to make it more of a reward for having a human goalie. Make the team that didn't want to risk a human goalie take more of a penalty: i.e. make the goalie A.I. much worse than it currently is.

Perhaps even completely nuke the goalie A.I. on the OTP side...the worse that happens is that people complain at first, but then they'll adjust when teams necessarily have to start playing a human goalie,.

The greatest benefit would be that this would provide more incentive for players to use human goalies in OTP, therefore making OTP games more exciting. This is a key point in regards to improving the overall OTP experience because we all know it's a drag playing a computer goalie...even if you're winning. For example, in 400+ games I've never seen someone score on a breakaway or penalty shot vs the computer.

Also, this would benefit league play greatly as a 6-man team wouldn't be limited to only seeking other 6-man teams...the purpose of this being that no one wants to currently pit a human goalie vs a computer goalie. If computer goalies' abilities are greatly reduced, 6-man teams will be more willing to play 4 and 5-man teams that need to employ a human goalie.

So that's my opinion, I know it's a pipe dream but it can't hurt to just throw my idea out there. Thoughts?

# 93 Redshirt_EA @ 01/30/10 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapdinger69
I played one game in my BAGM with the new patch and it was going well. I liked the flow. There was a really tough fight for the puck going on from corner to corner for awhile and then passed into the slot for a goal. It felt rewarding, i really was fighting the AI. Then a few minutes later it froze! i never had NHL 10 freeze on me!
It is unlikely the freeze had anything to do with the tuning update (by definition no new code was added) but if you have it happen again let me know. Was there an identifiable action that it froze on, e.g. you or the CPU just triggered a shot/pass/poke/hit/etc. ?

# 94 Sabres1985 @ 01/30/10 01:00 PM
So stupid EA taking away the pass block effectiveness but not fixing the glitch wrap around. The only way to defend it is now gone. I love playing people who consistently only do wrap-arounds the whole freakin game and win because there is no good defense to it now. Stop catering to the glitchers EA. Add a decent feedback system similar to 2K to we can weed out the people who are glitchers when we play.

# 95 emericaridr11 @ 01/30/10 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres1985
So stupid EA taking away the pass block effectiveness but not fixing the glitch wrap around. The only way to defend it is now gone. I love playing people who consistently only do wrap-arounds the whole freakin game and win because there is no good defense to it now. Stop catering to the glitchers EA. Add a decent feedback system similar to 2K to we can weed out the people who are glitchers when we play.
unfortunately this is a video game so there will always be people that find exploit goals you just cant get a video game perfect I agree they should fix the wrap arounds but you have to be thankful that everyone at EA continues to try to make there customers happy thats why I love EA always striving to make the game better thats why i buy their games they cater to the consumer (us)

# 96 Sabres1985 @ 01/30/10 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emericaridr11
unfortunately this is a video game so there will always be people that find exploit goals you just cant get a video game perfect I agree they should fix the wrap arounds but you have to be thankful that everyone at EA continues to try to make there customers happy thats why I love EA always striving to make the game better thats why i buy their games they cater to the consumer (us)
I agree there will always be people exploiting the game. But I still have yet to hear from them why they can't incorporate a feedback system. Let us police the game ourselves, we should be given the option the type of opponent we want to play. All I'm asking for is a solid way to separate the clowns from the people who play legit. 2K had this down years ago. There was a feedback system and you could tag people as using exploits. It was very effective.

# 97 emericaridr11 @ 01/30/10 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres1985
I agree there will always be people exploiting the game. But I still have yet to hear from them why they can't incorporate a feedback system. Let us police the game ourselves, we should be given the option the type of opponent we want to play. All I'm asking for is a solid way to separate the clowns from the people who play legit. 2K had this down years ago. There was a feedback system and you could tag people as using exploits. It was very effective.
that sounds like a great idea they should have that

# 98 matt2053 @ 01/30/10 07:04 PM
Redshirt,

I'd just like to thank you for everything you do here keeping us informed and helping us out.

You guys do a wonderful job of providing your customers with what they want. As a result NHL 10 is the best EA title in their entire library, and probably one of the BEST sports titles ever made.

Thanks.

Also, I've been having a problem with stuttering during gameplay. It tends to happen as the camera follows the puck/skater up and down between the blue lines. I noticed this a bit before the update, but I've noticed it a lot more since. The only other thing I changed was importing some custom music. Has anyone brought up anything about custom music causing a stutter problem? It seems to me more likely than the new tuner causing it....

Matt

# 99 Redshirt_EA @ 01/30/10 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2053
Also, I've been having a problem with stuttering during gameplay. It tends to happen as the camera follows the puck/skater up and down between the blue lines. I noticed this a bit before the update, but I've noticed it a lot more since. The only other thing I changed was importing some custom music. Has anyone brought up anything about custom music causing a stutter problem? It seems to me more likely than the new tuner causing it....

Matt
Assuming this is offline you could set it back to V1.02 and if that improves it then I'd say it is V1.03. Which camera are you using? Also what platform? (Reply by PM I guess).

# 100 Steven547 @ 01/30/10 09:13 PM
Played a few more games since I got home with 1.03, and I still see the goalie AI do horrible things. Puck is passed across the crease and instead of poke checking the puck or covering it up, the goalie skates AWAY from it, allowing another cheap goal.

This isn't a matter of the user playing "better defense", it's a matter of the goalie AI being "dumbed" down. The positioning is just poor. The tape to tape passes by the CPU have increased even though I have CPU Pass accuracy at 1. There is no "human error" in the CPU passing, and this causes the CPU to just score whenever it decides the game needs to be close. I just don't get this game anymore.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.