Home
NHL 10 News Post

Roster update #7 is available for NHL 10, along with Tuner Set 1.03. Post your impressions here.

Quote:
"For this update transactions are up to date as of January 24, 2010 (NHL, AHL, Elitserien, SM-Liiga, NLA).

One new player has been added to the game: G Jarosloav Janus (Norfolk Admirals).

Along with that, ratings have been updated."

What's in Tuner Set 1.03?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_EA

"The major thrust of the changes is to get more goal-scoring variation and loosen up goal scoring a bit. There will be more variety in CPU goalie positioning as well as a bunch of other tweaks to how they position, how fast they can move and accelerate, rebound control, screen effects, reaction speeds, and more.

For online the duration of the post-whistle time has been reduced, and a few gameplay exploits have been reduced.

For offline play once you have the update it will be applied automatically if you still have the Tuning Set option set to Latest (which is the default). Otherwise you can set it to Latest or V1.03. If don't like the changes or prefer to finish your current Dynasties/Be A Pro with a previous tuning version you can also change it (under Gameplay Settings/General). V1.02 is what you'd be using right now if you have the previous update and are set to Latest.

For online play everyone uses the latest tuning update.

There are quite a few changes involved in this update so we'll be watching closely to see how things play out and make any adjustments that are necessary.

More detailed notes on the changes should be posted on the NHL forums/blogs tomorrow. I'll make sure they end up here too."

Game: NHL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
NHL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Juiceman612 @ 02/05/10 01:51 AM
Played an offline game and lost in OT to a perfectly screened shot from the point. I thought the puck went through his pad but upon replay not only was I completely wrong, but the puck bounced off his pad from a half butterfly save (he got a little piece of it but not enough) he also looked around the player screening him who was perfectly screening him. He just couldn't see the shot in time and reacted late. So realistic. I really should have saved that replay - d'oh!

I know some of you like online play, but for me personally I have trouble playing online when the offline games are this much fun.

# 162 Qb @ 02/05/10 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceman
Am I making sense at all? Skaters just move too fast turning and stick handling with the puck and combine that with the fast overall gameplay online and it makes a lot of frantic up and down hockey. That's why offline with game speed at 1 plays out so well, IMO.
Yes, you are and I think we've met at a middle ground. Agility is probably a better way to describe what we're talking about. I focus on acceleration because we can't tune global skating agility with a slider and lowering acceleration accomplishes some of the same objectives.

With NHL09, I took the time to edit agility (-15 or -20, don't remember exactly) for all players on PIT & DET last year during the Finals before playing out the series on my own. It played rather well and I was able to raise acceleration a notch from where I usually had it.

So maybe the answer would be including an "agility" slider in NHL11 and tuning it down from the start. I wonder if what we're talking about is something that could be done with the current tuner set system? I don't expect anymore changes, but you never know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgudely
I scored with a slapshot in a shootout with O'Brien for the Canucks against Huet. Was pretty sweet, just went balls out and ended up finding the corner. Sounds stupid probably, but I've seen Chara do this in shootouts so it's not completely unrealistic.
It's not unrealistic at all. I've seen lots of guys take slappers during the shootout and even on regular penalty shots. That was Brian Rolston's go-to move for a while.

# 163 mkharsh33 @ 02/05/10 10:30 AM
i saw chara take a slapper in a shootout last week...and he got stoned. but i bet the goalie's hand was missing 3 fingers after that...LOL!!

# 164 speels @ 02/05/10 11:50 AM
I just played a game last night in my BEAGM with the Leafs(me) versus the Canadians. I won 1-0 but the goal I scored felt so right.
I had Phil Kessel along the boards and he made a sweet move on the d-man and started walking in on Price.
I did a quick snapshot and scored just below Price's glove and above his pad. I can't remember the last time I scored on a snap shot that wasn't in the slot, it was great.
I think they may have toned down the rebounds a bit because it seemed like the goalies in that game gave up rebounds, but they were much more realistic and didn't bounce into the corner when you hit the goalie in the bread basket.

I am really liking the subtle changes they have made.

# 165 bcgudely @ 02/05/10 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
i saw chara take a slapper in a shootout last week...and he got stoned. but i bet the goalie's hand was missing 3 fingers after that...LOL!!
Me and my friend were watching the Sharks/Bruins game a few weeks back, and it went into a shootout. Chara came out with the game on his stick and we both jokingly said "Chara?! What's he going to do? Take a slapshot?" ... and he did... and they won.. lol

Back on topic sorry

# 166 DJ @ 02/05/10 01:03 PM
Played a couple of games today and man, this latest tuner set is nice! I really am digging the goal variety now. You see more "dirty" goals where pucks bounce off skates and get past the goalie, a lot of rebound goals and scrums in front can also generate goals.

CPU seems more aggressive, too, which is a good thing. They really change up their attack and keep you on your toes.

# 167 Juiceman @ 02/05/10 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Yes, you are and I think we've met at a middle ground. Agility is probably a better way to describe what we're talking about. I focus on acceleration because we can't tune global skating agility with a slider and lowering acceleration accomplishes some of the same objectives.

With NHL09, I took the time to edit agility (-15 or -20, don't remember exactly) for all players on PIT & DET last year during the Finals before playing out the series on my own. It played rather well and I was able to raise acceleration a notch from where I usually had it.

So maybe the answer would be including an "agility" slider in NHL11 and tuning it down from the start. I wonder if what we're talking about is something that could be done with the current tuner set system? I don't expect anymore changes, but you never know...
Yeah, we are for sure on the same page now. That is really interesting about manually adjusting agility and playing out that series. Did you feel that was kind of "the answer" at the time? I'd be curious to hear more about what you found with that experiment.

edit: actually thinking about this...I wonder how hard it would be to include a mass roster editor with NHL 11. If you could mass attributes for all players that would be huge. Slider are essentially doing the same thing, but I think people could get more creative with a mass roster editor where you can mass adjust attributes, example is what you did "tune down agility for all players by 15 points" or whatever. Allow people to upload and download these user created rosters would also be a huge implementation.

# 168 Qb @ 02/05/10 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceman
Yeah, we are for sure on the same page now. That is really interesting about manually adjusting agility and playing out that series. Did you feel that was kind of "the answer" at the time? I'd be curious to hear more about what you found with that experiment.
Getting off topic here, but... "the answer"? I don't know, but I did see less awkward looking moments where players seemed to hover above the ice. It's subjective though, as I don't try to do some of the stuff you'll see online, like zig-zag skating or repeatedly changing direction.

It definitely made the skating more deliberate. I decided to do it after playing most of my OTP in 09 as a PWF with agility around 70-75. It always struck me that my guy -- the great Ivan Drago -- sure seemed to skate a lot more realistically than just about everyone else. And he looked great doing it! The animations (cross-skating, hard turns & stops) really come through well with the lower agility.

And for the record, I haven't done anything along these lines with 10 and have no plans to...

# 169 Juiceman @ 02/05/10 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Getting off topic here, but... "the answer"? I don't know, but I did see less awkward looking moments where players seemed to hover above the ice. It's subjective though, as I don't try to do some of the stuff you'll see online, like zig-zag skating or repeatedly changing direction.

It definitely made the skating more deliberate. I decided to do it after playing most of my OTP in 09 as a PWF with agility around 70-75. It always struck me that my guy -- the great Ivan Drago -- sure seemed to skate a lot more realistically than just about everyone else. And he looked great doing it! The animations (cross-skating, hard turns & stops) really come through well with the lower agility.

And for the record, I haven't done anything along these lines with 10 and have no plans to...
I don't really think much needs to be done to '10 offline. Majority of my gripes are with online play. I love EASHL and wish the gameplay was more realistic.
I am really happy with the sliders offline. I can usually dial in to my preference of hockey pretty well after a few test games. I haven't played this many offline games in I don't know how long. My wife got on my case the other day and she's pretty patient with me!

# 170 jyoung @ 02/05/10 04:08 PM
The goalies really are so much better now.

Loving the increased number of deflection goals, too.

If we could just get goalies to track that stupid "wind-up" wrister properly, I would be in video game hockey heaven for the rest of the season.

# 171 Splitter77 @ 02/05/10 04:18 PM
has anyone noticed a big difference in the gameplay( mainly goalies) from the 1.03 tuner version 2 compaired to the 1.03 version 1??
I still have the first one, but I think the game plays amazing with it. I know if I download version 2 I cant go back to version 1.

# 172 Stormyhog @ 02/05/10 07:42 PM
Redshirt one thing I would like to see fixed is a statistical problem. Say their is under a minute left in the game and a penalty is called it is not being included in the powerplay stats at the end of the game if it is not scored on . This was in last years game as well should be fixed most likely with a patch.

# 173 sajuki @ 02/06/10 04:56 PM
Any way to get this to my 360 without xbox live (with transfer kit)?

Anyone? Thanks

# 174 plaidchuck @ 02/06/10 11:18 PM
Here's a few tidbits what I've noticed in BAP mode with the new tuner:

Goalies: The goalies are much more human now.. sometimes they just straight up get out of position which is definately realistic and how many goals are scored in real life. Although In some cases they seemed to have a tendency to allow a bit too many weak goals on slapshots where they have a very clear view of the shot... but it's definitely not bad enough to be detrimental to the game play.

My only other beef is that the goalies are still too tough on superstar... on superstar I had a bunch of 1-1 and 0-0 games even with my goalie reactions sliders set to 0/0, but on all star I had games ranging from 4-2 to 3-2 to 4-1 to 3-0, etc. much more realistic scores.

AI: Seems to be varied and the computer will try some creative plays more often especially behind and around the net... although at the same time it seems to try way too hard for a one timer, which makes it a bit predictable at times.

The best thing especially in BAP is that your AI teammates seem to be on par with the other teams now, my teammates will actually crash the net when I take shots. They still have a tendency to pass it right back to you in traffic though.

# 175 Qb @ 02/07/10 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
has anyone noticed a big difference in the gameplay( mainly goalies) from the 1.03 tuner version 2 compaired to the 1.03 version 1??
I still have the first one, but I think the game plays amazing with it. I know if I download version 2 I cant go back to version 1.
I've barely played with 1.03b since my internet has been down all weekend after the snowstorm here. But I can say that if you download 1.03b, you won't be able to go back to 1.03a, as least that's what we were told.

# 176 Nomah5 @ 02/08/10 12:59 PM
Is it me or has the online game slowed down more so since the last update? Also, I have noticed allot more non direct passes off the faceoff that sometimes go untouched out of the zone.

# 177 Vikes1 @ 02/08/10 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomah5
Also, I have noticed allot more non direct passes off the faceoff that sometimes go untouched out of the zone.
Yep. I see this quite a bit now.

# 178 snakeswithlasers @ 02/08/10 05:54 PM
The slapshot from right above and outside of the circle really should be fixed. Those things go in way too regularly with this tuner set.

Code:
-----BLUELINE------------|
                     D   |
                         |
                  o      |
                         |
          G              |
        [__]             |
-------------------------|
In that example the "o" is the faceoff dot. And the goal goes in on the far post. It's crazy how often this shot makes it--it can be clear with no traffic/screens or there can be a pile of dudes that the puck just sails through; either way, the goalie takes a bad angle or the slapshot accuracy is just tuned too high.

# 179 akula @ 02/08/10 10:03 PM
i'd rather see a few too many clean slapshots go in vs. being stopped 99.9% of the time , personally. but maybe they are a bit too easy at the moment. it just sucks when every goal is a messy rebound or deflection (if not that, a deke or one timer) but its nice to score on a clean wrist or slap shot once in a while! especially from prime shooting position.

# 180 plaidchuck @ 02/08/10 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeswithlasers
In that example the "o" is the faceoff dot. And the goal goes in on the far post. It's crazy how often this shot makes it--it can be clear with no traffic/screens or there can be a pile of dudes that the puck just sails through; either way, the goalie takes a bad angle or the slapshot accuracy is just tuned too high.
Agreed it seems straight up unscreened slapshots do go in a little bit too much, but I usually just tweak down the slap shot accuracy for myself, the cpu, or both, or adjust the goalie settings. At this point it may be a necessary evil to keep the offense and goal scoring varied... also it seems there is better goalie separation and the higher rated goalies have better positioning and reaction now compared to the lower ranked ones..

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.