Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

In this video from NFL.com, Steelers LB LaMarr Woodley and Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugua are the first to get their Madden NFL 11 headshots created with EA's new 3-D pod.

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 MattIntellect @ 01/28/10 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lofeazy
You tell me how 3d helps with gameplay and animation and even AI?Like somebody else said in other thread EA has a new gimmick to cover up past mess ups that there not working on to fix.That why this gen sucks and 3d aint going to help.
Hmmm.....I thought that different teams work on different parts of the game. There's nothing wrong with this. Also, almost everything was finalized about 1-2 months ago. This is typical routine except with better technology. I don't see the reason why you guys are panicking and shooting something positive down.

# 22 MattIntellect @ 01/28/10 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lofeazy
I see who falls for the new gimmicks every year.
Yep, I guess I am looking for the new gimmicks because apparently they made all the difference in Madden 10.

# 23 kjcheezhead @ 01/28/10 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattIntellect
Hmmm.....I thought that different teams work on different parts of the game. There's nothing wrong with this. Also, almost everything was finalized about 1-2 months ago. This is typical routine except with better technology. I don't see the reason why you guys are panicking and shooting something positive down.
That was the response we got last year. They must have 20 guys in the art deprtment and 1 concentrating on gameplay cause we got colored cleats, animated hand towels, super bowl patches, ben rothlisberger got his number placed in the right spot on the back of his helmet...

What great gameplay feature from last gen made it into Madden 10 that hadn't made it to the current systems yet? How many are still missing and begged for every year?

# 24 roadman @ 01/28/10 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
That was the response we got last year. They must have 20 guys in the art deprtment and 1 concentrating on gameplay cause we got colored cleats, animated hand towels, super bowl patches, ben rothlisberger got his number placed in the right spot on the back of his helmet...

What great gameplay feature from last gen made it into Madden 10 that hadn't made it to the current systems yet? How many are still missing and begged for every year?
Well, if you are taking that route in the first paragraph, you act like there were no gameplay enhancements at all in 10.

Yes, we all know there are missing gameplay elements missing from last gen. I don't think there is anything we can do about it until they are put back in the game. If you beg for them every year, it doesn't mean they are guaranteed they will make it back into the game.

Heck, I've wanted in-game saves into the game among other things, but that has been ignored as well. What is high on my priority list, isn't always high on Madden's priority list.

I can't control that.

# 25 roadman @ 01/28/10 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Bonami
Come on EA, give us something fresh and mesmerizing with a passion for the sport!!......Want an excellent example, look at what MLB the Show has done for Baseball
Last year, Ian wrote a big thank you in that forum praising the game.

Let's wait for gameplay information before we put 11 in a grave in late January. EA didn't report or blog on this 3D technology, the NFL website did.

# 26 kjcheezhead @ 01/28/10 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Well, if you are taking that route in the first paragraph, you act like there were no gameplay enhancements at all in 10.

Yes, we all know there are missing gameplay elements missing from last gen. I don't think there is anything we can do about it until they are put back in the game. If you beg for them every year, it doesn't mean they are guaranteed they will make it back into the game.

Heck, I've wanted in-game saves into the game among other things, but that has been ignored as well. What is high on my priority list, isn't always high on Madden's priority list.

I can't control that.
The point is what they decide to concentrate on every year. They can't sell the game touting old features so they just skip them and brag about how good the game looks. I would take any oldfeature just to let me know they are trying to get them back in. In game saves, wr shading, bump and run, audibles on the fly, formation shifts, precision passing as good as it used to be..any of these will do.

Personally, I'm just not that impressed with the gameplay improvements of madden 10 by the way. The game dropped with horrible pursuit angles, terrible blocking, and wr jamming that lasts 10+ yards. Add those in with the definite improvements and you have a game that was improved over 09 but still had enough game killing flaws that I haven't played a down since MW2 dropped--and I'm a guy that always makes a football game his first purchase whenever I get a new console.

# 27 MattIntellect @ 01/28/10 10:12 PM
Quote:

What I'm saying is that this happens every year during the Pro-bowl. This news is not anything to get upset and worried about certain aspects of the game being left out. We have a gameplay Superbowl halftime blog coming up in a few days. I just don't see how this news shows any indication of the Madden team's focus this year, especially considering that it doesn't appear to be coming from the marketing department or even Ian.

# 28 mm boost @ 01/28/10 10:40 PM
You guys need to calm the hell down, my gosh. EA didn't even post this, it was on NFL.com. They are not pushing "3-d modeling on the faces as being the biggest addition to 2011 madden!!!1!!!111"

This is pure speculation as to what EA has in store for madden this year. Maybe the 3-d modeling is just a minor aspect of what they are bringing to the table? This thread is about 3-d modeling, not gameplay. If you want to bitch about gameplay, why not go in the thread that was talking about the SB halftime blog that Ian will be posting? Doesn't that make alot more sense instead of nonsense posted in here in a thread about 3-d faces? Makes sense to me!

# 29 TreyIM2 @ 01/28/10 11:08 PM
While I understand people's concerns about this being the first "unofficially official" info about Madden 11, like it has been said, this speaks nothing to the rest of the game. The art/graphics department DOES NOT work on gameplay. They have a job to do to contribute to the game, as well. This is just one aspect of the game but, again, I understand why some would be upset at this being "released first". You also have to remember, like someone else said, this was from nfl.com, not directly for EA. As much as the game is EA's, it's also the NFL's since they license out the NFL aspects from top to bottom. There was NO game footage released.

Now, that being said - Is the "new innovation" that "no one will see coming" for Madden 11 is that it will be a 3-D game? Is this the big clue enlight of the fact that 3D gaming WILL be officially introduced this year, at least on the PS3 side, that I know of? Hmm.

# 30 Valdarez @ 01/28/10 11:38 PM
I wonder if we'll actually see helmets come off again now.

# 31 roadman @ 01/28/10 11:47 PM
Quote:
The point is what they decide to concentrate on every year. They can't sell the game touting old features so they just skip them and brag about how good the game looks. I would take any oldfeature just to let me know they are trying to get them back in. In game saves, wr shading, bump and run, audibles on the fly, formation shifts, precision passing as good as it used to be..any of these will do.

Personally, I'm just not that impressed with the gameplay improvements of madden 10 by the way. The game dropped with horrible pursuit angles, terrible blocking, and wr jamming that lasts 10+ yards. Add those in with the definite improvements and you have a game that was improved over 09 but still had enough game killing flaws that I haven't played a down since MW2 dropped--and I'm a guy that always makes a football game his first purchase whenever I get a new console.
I would love those features back in myself.

Honestly, I feel the pursuit angles improved in patch 2, but not to the point I would say they are perfect.

I just think it's premature to jump up and down about a feature that EA didn't write/blog about when it was the nfl that wrote the article.

I'm sure Ian wasn't going to release this information in his game play blog on SB Sunday.

There is 7.5 months of information to filter out, yet. And all of it's not going to be all about game play either. There is gameplay, franchise, presentation, online franchise, etc... to write and blog about.

# 32 kjcheezhead @ 01/29/10 12:11 AM
Quote:
I would love those features back in myself.

Honestly, I feel the pursuit angles improved in patch 2, but not to the point I would say they are perfect.

I just think it's premature to jump up and down about a feature that EA didn't write/blog about when it was the nfl that wrote the article.
Maybe it is premature. So far what we have tho is that

1) for some reason they probably spent a ton of cash getting 3-d scans players heads when players wear helmets and are fined for removing them on the field.

2) they probably spent a fair amont of more cash getting Mark Turmell on board who has a huge arcade background and thinks the game is too complicated and wants to make it easier to pick up and play.

As far as what I'm looking for, none of the early info has boded well for the direction they want to take madden.

# 33 roadman @ 01/29/10 12:16 AM
Quote:
Maybe it is premature. So far what we have tho is that

1) for some reason they probably spent a ton of cash getting 3-d scans players heads when players wear helmets and are fined for removing them on the field.

2) they probably spent a fair amont of more cash getting Mark Turmell on board who has a huge arcade background and thinks the game is too complicated and wants to make it easier to pick up and play.

As far as what I'm looking for, none of the early info has boded well for the direction they want to take madden.
I'll only respond to number 2.

I think you are jumping the gun and speculating on that hire as well. It was already documented in this forum from Ian's Twitter that Everything You See on Sunday is Tummel's idea as well.

People seem to forget that he made a sim hockey game, but that is swept under the carpet because people see NBA Jam, Blitz, etc.......

I need to play a wait and see game on that hire. At this point, I will take Ian's word for it.

# 34 splff3000 @ 01/29/10 12:38 AM
I'm a little on the fence about everything. I want in my heart to think that they are working on what they should be working on, but I just can't put all my trust into EA like that. I've learned a few things in my life and one of those is look at the signs all around you. There's "new takes" and arcade directors and 3d head scans. It all points one way. I understand where roadman is coming from, but I also understand what kjcheezhead is saying too. He asks a good question. Why spend time and money on this when guys wear helmets 99% of the time? I don't know man. I know Ian's saying one thing, but all the signs are pointing at other things. Now I'm not saying I'm not buying the game or nothing already. I'm definitely looking forward for more info to come out, but right now, I'm with kjcheezhead, just a lil bit. There are some that give EA the benefit of the doubt then there are others like me lol. Here's hoping that 11 will be great and this is just the first sign of the greatness that will be Madden 11.

# 35 roadman @ 01/29/10 07:53 AM
That's what a message board is for is to speculate.

I tend to look at things in life, overall, with the glass half full. I'm still playing Madden 10 in my console. If I looked at things negatively all my life, my life would definitely be different. I've felt good about 10, the first time I've felt good about Madden in a long time, so, that's why I'm not all hyped up about premature news that I can't count as fact.

My point is that this is all speculative without any body of evidence what is really going on behind the scenes.

Man, Ian hasn't even released a blog about game play and the wheels start to come off.

What is really surprising is that EA is getting negative feedback based on a article the NFL wrote about. Eh, it's not really surprising when one bit of news is produced by another party.

# 36 therizing02 @ 01/29/10 08:02 AM
Quote:
That's what a message board is for is to speculate.

I tend to look at things in life, overall, with the glass half full. I'm still playing Madden 10 in my console. If I looked at things negatively all my life, my life would definitely be different. I've felt good about 10, the first time I've felt good about Madden in a long time, so, that's why I'm not all hyped up about premature news that I can't count as fact.

My point is that this is all speculative without any body of evidence what is really going on behind the scenes.

Man, Ian hasn't even released a blog about game play and the wheels start to come off.

What is really surprising is that EA is getting negative feedback based on a article the NFL wrote about. Eh, it's not really surprising when one bit of news is produced by another party.

QFT.

Roadman: The OS Voice of Reason

Great post man.

# 37 mm boost @ 01/29/10 10:46 AM
Has anyone ever thought of this? Maybe they are planning on having player interviews and celebrations post game, pre-game, half time, etc etc. And possibly bringing back the helmets getting knocked off among other types of elements where player's faces are needed to be correct. Ever thought of this? I highly doubt EA would ever spend that kind of money to capture 3d faces if they planned on the faces staying inside of the helmets the entire time. Think out side the box guys, quit being so narrow minded. I see this as a positive thing, not a negative thing.

# 38 oneamongthefence @ 01/29/10 01:24 PM
Maybe they'll add game faces to the game this year.

# 39 PacMan3000 @ 01/29/10 01:46 PM
I'll probably get slammed, but I don't care...

I'm tired of hearing about gameplay. I really am. It's not that I don't appreciate it or want a good game to play, but for the first time in years, I like Madden. I think Madden 10's gameplay is fine--I enjoy it, despite a bare bones franchise mode.

Is the game perfect? Nope, but it's fun.

People have literally been complaining about gameplay for ten years in football video games. It's never going to be perfect, and I accept that. What keeps me coming back is the immersion factor. The fact that my team looks real, my backups take a significant hit in quality compared to my starters, that my players properly progress when appropriate, and that I feel like I'm playing in a living, breathing stadium and league.

I definitely like a challenge in games, and that does go back to gameplay, but I'm not popping in Madden because I can't wait to see the blocking schemes. I play it because it's fun, that it feels fairly authentic, and that the cut scenes, sounds, graphics, franchise mode, and yes--player faces--give me an enhanced experience that I otherwise haven't had since 2K5.

Gameplay is great. With that said, great gameplay mixed with mediocre immersion will kill my replay value.

# 40 thechamp2009 @ 01/29/10 02:16 PM
^^^^^^ wow!!! these is a scary post

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.