Home
MLB 2K10 News Post

Get rich quick, with Major League Baseball 2K10. Check the story from Jon Robinson at ESPN.

Quote:
"And the rules are simple: 2K Sports is going to give the million bucks to the first person who can throw a perfect game against the CPU on All-Star difficulty starting March 2, 2010 at 12:01 AM PST and ending May 2, 2010 at 11:59 PM PDT. Eligible games can only be played on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in MLB Today mode playing one of the available match-ups. Then, when gamers choose to play the Major League Baseball 2K10 contest from the menu, the game will automatically default to the proper gameplay setting in accordance to the official rules."

Game: Major League Baseball 2K10Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 33 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 tj1182 @ 01/28/10 09:04 PM
I don't know why we have to record it. Just the last out with the boxscores? It's really gonna suck if I have two outs in the ninth and I gotta pause and set my camera up only to blow it.

# 62 green94 @ 01/28/10 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobastard
This is just a marketing scam. There will be no winner. Its sad that 2k has to stoop to these type of gimmicks to try and sell their product.
I wouldn't call it a scam... i think this is a brilliant move on 2k's part. They have put out a few really bad baseball games and they are trying to win back some of their fan base that has left them. People will go buy this game just because of this contest, there are a few in this thread alone that have had said such. Good on 2k's marketing department. I won't be buying the game, but I love the move.

# 63 nemesis04 @ 01/28/10 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
Except that wont work, becuase you have to be connected to xbox live and in MLB today. I am pretty sure it will keep the data on things.

I am not saying its impossible to cheat, but there will be alot of investigation going on with looking at all the data.

Like someone said, this is a genius marketing movie. They are giving away someone elses money. They dont really lose at all. Like i said before, there will be a few people that get games early, but its not going to be me and i usually get the games a week early. I said it a efw posts up. They told me, i dont get it early.
If you are connected and they are keeping data, what is the need for video taping?

# 64 Knight165 @ 01/28/10 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
Except that wont work, becuase you have to be connected to xbox live and in MLB today. I am pretty sure it will keep the data on things.

I am not saying its impossible to cheat, but there will be alot of investigation going on with looking at all the data.

Like someone said, this is a genius marketing movie. They are giving away someone elses money. They dont really lose at all. Like i said before, there will be a few people that get games early, but its not going to be me and i usually get the games a week early. I said it a efw posts up. They told me, i dont get it early.
Ahhh...okay..yes..that makes sense.

M.K.
Knight165

# 65 Blzer @ 01/28/10 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
If you are connected and they are keeping data, what is the need for video taping?
Maybe just to see "how you did it" or something. Maybe they don't want you to play two-player or something, I have no idea.

# 66 Knight165 @ 01/28/10 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Maybe just to see "how you did it" or something. Maybe they don't want you to play two-player or something, I have no idea.
Maybe just for promotional purposes if someone does it....like that vid of that kid opening that box on Christmas...

M.K.
Knight165

# 67 RoyalBoyle78 @ 01/29/10 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I can understand their thought process, then again, I can't. I understand the idea of not wanting someone to "gain an advantage" by having the game early, but lets face it. No matter how good you are, to throw a perfect game, there is quite a bit of luck that is tossed in there.
LOL, CB I don't think it's even going to be possible, you think 2K really just want's to give anybody random Joe a Million dollars for pitching a perfect game?

I'm not trying to kill 2k with this, but I will match there million (LOL, if I had it) and bet that they have the game data written so that this never happens, to me it's just a ploy to get gamers to buy there game. Look at the track record, I don't believe that the MLB 2k Series has even made a million dollars selling this game in investments total on both system the last few years, and now there willing to pay a gamer a million dollars for pitching a perfect game. I'm sorry I bet it's rigged, but by no surprise they will hold a conference and most likely pay some guy like 10,000 and make it seem like they he really won , or just get some kid little brother from the 2k famliy to fake it just to show that it was possible.

In the end, IMO, it's we know our game is going to struggle, but hey just buy us anyway you have a chance to win a Million. Not cool, just make a great product and you will feel better about your game and company.

IN the end I think this is a Hoax. Sorry guys. Just my opinion.

# 68 ExtremeGamer @ 01/29/10 10:28 AM
For a game some of you don't even like, you sure have some major opinions on 2K's marketing plan.

# 69 RoyalBoyle78 @ 01/29/10 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
For a game some of you don't even like, you sure have some major opinions on 2K's marketing plan.
I just knew you would have followed me up...LMAO, I just knew it. I still buy 2K every year, every year. I have seen the dream cast days. So I would like to think my opinion counts.

# 70 countryboy @ 01/29/10 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
LOL, CB I don't think it's even going to be possible, you think 2K really just want's to give anybody random Joe a Million dollars for pitching a perfect game?

I'm not trying to kill 2k with this, but I will match there million (LOL, if I had it) and bet that they have the game data written so that this never happens, to me it's just a ploy to get gamers to buy there game. Look at the track record, I don't believe that the MLB 2k Series has even made a million dollars selling this game in investments total on both system the last few years, and now there willing to pay a gamer a million dollars for pitching a perfect game. I'm sorry I bet it's rigged, but by no surprise they will hold a conference and most likely pay some guy like 10,000 and make it seem like they he really won , or just get some kid little brother from the 2k famliy to fake it just to show that it was possible.

In the end, IMO, it's we know our game is going to struggle, but hey just buy us anyway you have a chance to win a Million. Not cool, just make a great product and you will feel better about your game and company.

I don't view it as a hoax. Lets face it, 2K baseball isn't very popular in public opinion right now. The last thing they need is to "bait" people into buying their game and then feel the backlast that is surely to follow. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 2k needs and wants someone to win this money, because if not, its going to be viewed as a ploy only to get people to buy the game.

And as far as buying the game, I would guess that you could rent/borrow the game and still get in the contest. There is no special code, that I'm aware of, thats needed to unlock this contest. You simply log on to Live/PSN, go to MLB Today and enter the contest by playing the pre-determined game.

Again, 2k using this as a ploy to get people to buy the game is the last thing they need to do, and I have a hard time believing that is what this is, because even if they increase sales 1000% this year, the backlash and ill-will that would be brought about by such a snake like move, would only harm them next year, and the years to come.

# 71 RoyalBoyle78 @ 01/29/10 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I don't view it as a hoax. Lets face it, 2K baseball isn't very popular in public opinion right now. The last thing they need is to "bait" people into buying their game and then feel the backlast that is surely to follow. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 2k needs and wants someone to win this money, because if not, its going to be viewed as a ploy only to get people to buy the game.

And as far as buying the game, I would guess that you could rent/borrow the game and still get in the contest. There is no special code, that I'm aware of, thats needed to unlock this contest. You simply log on to Live/PSN, go to MLB Today and enter the contest by playing the pre-determined game.

Again, 2k using this as a ploy to get people to buy the game is the last thing they need to do, and I have a hard time believing that is what this is, because even if they increase sales 1000% this year, the backlash and ill-will that would be brought about by such a snake like move, would only harm them next year, and the years to come.
Yeah. but we really don't know/ Like I said, this game hasn't even made a million in sales, and now there willing to give a million away, I just find that crazy/funny.

# 72 Knight165 @ 01/29/10 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
We have to do something to balance out those that blindly follow 2K and anything 360!
We're just trying to save you guys from yourselves!

M.K.
Knight165

# 73 brendanrfoley @ 01/29/10 11:23 AM
I won't stop anyone from knocking the quality of the product (especially 2K8 and 2K9).

I do not, however, understand using sales numbers as the basis of a conspiracy to defraud customers and hold a rigged contest (which is a crime, by the way). MLB 2K9 on the XBOX 360 sold the exact same number of copies as The Show on the PS3. The same thing happened in 2008 as well.

Yes, the MLB 2K series hasn't cracked the million mark. But no baseball title has.

# 74 Trevytrev11 @ 01/29/10 11:50 AM
Quote:

If they have programming into prevent this from happening and it ever gets exposed, they would be liable for one helluva class action lawsuit for all out fraud.

Imagine if it was found out the the state lottery purposely chose a series of numbers as the winning numbers that were knowingly not selected on any ticket. This would be fraud.

I imagine they have taken out an insurance policy of some sort to pay the claim if it happens (most teams do this with the half court shots for a million $) or the (If any player hits a grand slam off the taco bell sign, everyone in america wins a free taco). I can't imagine any sponsor putting up the $1 Million since no name seems to be attached to it.

Again, I don't see this as a sign that this game is going to struggle and they need to sell copies. I see it more as a "this series has struggled in the past and we want to get people interested and thinking about 2K baseball again."

It's no different, IMO, than a crazy black friday doorbuster that gets hundreds of people lined up out side a stores door with the hopes of getting them to buy other stuff. Best Buy doesn't make these offers because there store sucks and they think people won't shop there...they do it to get more people to show up and shop there.

# 75 Trevytrev11 @ 01/29/10 11:56 AM
Quote:
Yeah. but we really don't know/ Like I said, this game hasn't even made a million in sales, and now there willing to give a million away, I just find that crazy/funny.
You're talking copies not $'s, right?

They sold over 700K copies between the 360 and PS3 with an additional 200K copies on the wii and another 100K copies between teh PSP and PS2. Assuming they make $1 per game, they made $1M last year. I imagine they make much more than $1 per game sold.

# 76 brendanrfoley @ 01/29/10 11:56 AM
Trevy hits the nail on the head; this series is in desperate need of getting widespread (positive) attention and this is a good way to go about it.

I can see the ads on TV now; buy MLB 2K10 and play for a chance to win a million bucks. It could convince some casual players who don't normally buy baseball video games to pick a copy up.

# 77 Blzer @ 01/29/10 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
Trevy hits the nail on the head; this series is in desperate need of getting widespread (positive) attention and this is a good way to go about it.
So is setting the price tag at $39.99.

# 78 Knight165 @ 01/29/10 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley

I'm no financial/business genius......but if they would have made a good game the last couple of years...they would have garnered some positive attention ...and.......I could have saved them a million dollars.

M.K.
Knight165

# 79 Knight165 @ 01/29/10 12:05 PM
I can see it now...

"We never expected anyone to actually win the million!"
"We're filing Chapter 11....sorry!"

M.K.
Knight165

# 80 brendanrfoley @ 01/29/10 12:21 PM
I don't disagree with either of the above points.

Knight, I agree making a better game the past two years would have helped. But it's a moot point; 2K didn't release good games and therefore needs to step-up on all levels to win customers back (or find new ones). The situation is what it is.

Blzer, I'd love a 39.99 price tag. I am certain it would generate increased sales numbers but would not make more money. Take2 stands to make 36m selling 600,000 copies at $60. At $40, T2 needs to sell 900,000 copies to make the same amount.

That's no easy feat; MLB 2K9 sold 730,000 copies (PS3/360), 2K8 sold 890,000 and 2K7 sold 990,000. Dropping the price could cost T2 millions. That's not only bad for the company, but for the future of the franchise.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.