Home
FIFA Online News Post

EA SPORTS UNVEILS FREE DOWNLOADABLE FOOTBALL GAME FOR PC

Football Fans Will Shape EA SPORTS FIFA Online
Content During Development Process

GUILDFORD, UK., – 29th January 2010 – Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS) announced today development of a free-to-play*, downloadable game called EA SPORTS™ FIFA Online that will make its most popular and highest rated^ videogame franchise available to football fans with a broadband internet connection and an average spec laptop computer or desk-top personal computer. The free-to-play EA SPORTS FIFA videogame will call on football fans and gamers to help shape features during closed beta testing prior to its English language European open beta release in June 2010.

“Listening to and engaging football fans has been one of the driving forces behind the success of our FIFA franchise and now we are inviting European football fans--in mass numbers and earlier than we ever have before--to help us develop a new football game,” said Executive Producer Kaz Makita. “Fans will determine the features that matter most, and at the end of this process, our goal is to deliver a game for fans looking for a quick football fix at home or at work.”

“There are a large number of football fans who do not want a console gaming experience due to time and other priorities in their personal lives but they still want to be able to play a top-quality football videogame,” explained Makita. “FIFA Online will be designed specifically for them.”

Beginning February 3, football fans across Europe are invited to register to participate in the closed beta development and testing of FIFA Online by visiting http://fifa-online.easports.com. More than 20,000 fans will be involved in the first phase of closed beta testing and then, during open beta in June, hundreds of thousands of fans will test the game, providing feedback directly to the game’s developers through exclusive discussion forums.

EA SPORTS FIFA Online will be released around the world in stages. The English language version will be available to all football fans in June, 2010. Over the next 12 to 24 months FIFA Online will launch in other languages across Europe and then in North America. Non-English speaking football fans will also be able to participate in the development process of these games.

EA SPORTS FIFA Online will offer an authentic football experience with 30 licensed leagues, 500 clubs and more than 15,000 players. During the first closed beta stage beginning February 3, the game will feature a 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa tournament mode and a control system that uses the mouse only. At the second stage of closed beta, the game will feature a League Mode that enables fans to manage and compete as their favorite football club, and the ability to play online matches. FIFA Online will enable football fans and gamers to build their favorite club into their dream team by developing or acquiring players, upgrading skills, and getting unique apparel by earning in-game currency to acquire items or through micro-transactions. Additional content will be designed for the game based on feedback by fans.

Register to play at http://fifa-online.easports.com.

FIFA Online screenshot gallery - Click to view FIFA Online screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: FIFA OnlineHype Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PCVotes for game: 1 - View All
FIFA Online Videos
Member Comments
# 1 stephensonmc @ 01/29/10 11:37 AM
Hello everyone, my name is Marcus Stephenson and I'm the Community Manager for FIFA Online. This is an exciting time for all of us at EA SPORTS because we're bringing all of you the future of sports gaming now. Football (soccer) is now free to play, and I hope you guys take full advantage of that.

I'll be here to answer any questions you guys may have about the game, and once our portal site opens up, I'll be communicating there as well. Think of this as a sports MMO guys.

If any of you would like to be in the closed beta, please register and make sure to private message me your e-mail address so I can ensure that it gets precedence over other registrants.

Thanks guys, and this should be a fun ride!

# 2 Krebstar @ 01/29/10 01:33 PM
I'm going to love this. My boss is going to hate this.

# 3 nccomicfan @ 01/29/10 03:24 PM
how are you guys pulling off the free thing? you have to be giving away millions with all the fans the game have worldwide.

# 4 Whitesox @ 01/29/10 07:49 PM
Wow, this is very interesting. Do you need to live in Europe to be in the beta? Because I'd be interested for sure.

# 5 DaHokieBird @ 01/30/10 07:47 PM
I can't wait to see this. The ability to place a quick game, even on a subpar laptop that I have is very appealing. I hope I get a chance to beta test.

From what I've read, there is going to be some aspects that you pay for. Can you elaborate on those at all yet?

Thanks,
DaHokieBird

# 6 CX1329 @ 01/30/10 08:33 PM
Free? Won't that keep people from buying the actual games? I don't get this, there must be a catch somewhere.

# 7 stephensonmc @ 01/31/10 12:45 AM
no catch guys, register for the closed beta and let me know what you think! People from outside the UK can play b/c it's IP free, but you have to understand english b/c it's English language only.

# 8 Ermolli @ 02/01/10 12:59 PM
I saw some screenshots and it seems that you can control only one player. Can you also play as the whole team like Fifa's games?

# 9 stephensonmc @ 02/01/10 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermolli
I saw some screenshots and it seems that you can control only one player. Can you also play as the whole team like Fifa's games?
absolutely!

# 10 Strngboy @ 02/01/10 10:19 PM
Is this going to be like an MMO 11v11 or just a 1v1?

# 11 stephensonmc @ 02/01/10 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strngboy
Is this going to be like an MMO 11v11 or just a 1v1?
1 v 1 for now man.

# 12 sportsdude @ 02/04/10 09:12 PM
I can't seem to find a detailed write up about this game, what exactly is it and how is it different than a regular FIFA game? Also, is it PC only (appears so but want to double check)?

# 13 stephensonmc @ 02/08/10 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsdude
I can't seem to find a detailed write up about this game, what exactly is it and how is it different than a regular FIFA game? Also, is it PC only (appears so but want to double check)?
please visit http://fifa-online.easports.com for all of your questions friend

It's a free to play, PC - only FIFA game. You can manage your team, chat with friends through an in-game chat client, and join in our many events we'll be having. You can even control the game with just your mouse (you can also use a 360 or PS3 controller)

# 14 sportsdude @ 02/09/10 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensonmc
please visit http://fifa-online.easports.com for all of your questions friend

It's a free to play, PC - only FIFA game. You can manage your team, chat with friends through an in-game chat client, and join in our many events we'll be having. You can even control the game with just your mouse (you can also use a 360 or PS3 controller)
thanks man. sounds pretty interesting but unless it gets MAC support I won't be able to play it whenever it comes out. FIFA 11 (and possibly World Cup 2010, haven't decided yet) for my 360 will be enough to feed my soccer fix this year.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.