Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

IGN has posted an article on How to Make the Super Bowl Cool in Madden NFL 11.

Quote:
"With the technology afforded to developers in the videogame realm, it's pretty awful that they aren't leveraging it for the most important game on the NFL's schedule. Back in the day broadcasters struggled to replicate the behind-the-quarterback viewpoint that videogames present. Now that they've been able to do that with the wire cam, the question is, "Where do they go next?"

It could be as basic as offering historical facts about each Super Bowl team. Record dialogue for each team that's only played during the Super Bowl. Seems easy, right? Or maybe some new way of delivering instant replays that's unique to the big game. Regardless, it should be something that's more impressive than what we get week in and week out in our Madden season."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 bgdave39 @ 02/03/10 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I think seeing the reaction on OS to a gatorade dump mini-game and being able to say it was IGN's idea might be worth the time to build it.

Please tell me you are joking and not seriously going to invest time in this?

# 22 dougdeuce @ 02/03/10 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdave39
Please tell me you are joking and not seriously going to invest time in this?
hahaha. I'm sure he was kidding. He was making fun of how we as a community would respond to it. Obviously the mini dump game would be moronic to include. The guy who wrote the article does work for IGN remember... -"which way did he go boss? Which way did he go?"

Honestly, I'm thinking that year two is a big one for this dev team, and we will see a bunch of cool stuff like this added. Now if only the crowd knew these cool things were going on...

# 23 PacMan3000 @ 02/03/10 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
I'm gonna try and post some footage I captured of PES2010 and the Champions League intro. Hopefully it won't get shot down by the YouTube police. But that's the kind of Presentation that Madden team needs to strive for. The Super Bowl is as much about pageantry as about football, if not more.....

Here's a bit that I found on YouTube. This is championship-level presentation. And it only part of it.
This was incredible. I seriously felt I was almost in that stadium or watching it on TV. The sounds of the crowd and the announcers made it feel real.

I think this is something that Ian and his crew can do without a doubt. Hopefully he'll chime in more and ask for a few suggestions regarding presentation and atmosphere.

# 24 dougdeuce @ 02/03/10 07:33 PM
^^^
Not exactly the "constructive" criticism I was looking for. Maybe you could remove the attitude and say the same thing... Maybe this is why they don't want to post here and listen to your ideas.

Ya think?

# 25 TDogg09 @ 02/03/10 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
The presentation has to more than just "exist". The cut scenes need to be in the correct context. I don't want to see them like I did in Madden 10 (for the brief time I had the game). If Tony Romo is carted off the field, I don't want to see a cut scene one play later with him standing on the sideline talking on the phone to the booth upstairs. You don't just add the presentation for presentation sake. It needs to fit, like you are watching a real game, it needs to have context. The announcers need to make comments about what is actually happening on the field, use the telestrator, talk about how a key injury in the game is really going to affect (or not affect) a certain team, etc. etc. The list goes on. Play 2k5 and you will see what I am saying.
100% correct. The presentation needs to make sense for the context. There also needs to be a lot more variety in order to make that possible. It gets old to see the quarterback talking on the phone after every kickoff. I think if a player gets injured there should be a cutscene of the player trying to rehab the injury in order to get back in the game. Or if the player gets seriously injured, have him helped off the field by the training staff, and have a later cutscene of him taken off the field on a cart. That would be awesome.

# 26 Maelstrom-XIII @ 02/04/10 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I think seeing the reaction on OS to a gatorade dump mini-game and being able to say it was IGN's idea might be worth the time to build it.

No thanks, Ian...however, I'm certain that there will be plenty of other ill-conceived gimmicks and/or minigames implemented that will prove deleterious to the enjoyment of our fair Madden 11...

# 27 PGaither84 @ 02/04/10 04:08 PM
I was just thinking a few things reading all of this. The first was someone mentioned using the telestrator and such. I was thinking that EA could take their sub-par "backtrack" feature and make some tweeks and actually turn it into a positive. Instead of telling the user what they did wrong and what they should have done [which is not always correct,] EA could use this feature to highlight big plays and say what went right on the play. I just get the feeling that EA could do a lot of things well, but they have a history of not doing things right. Even Ian said he was disapointed at what his presentation team came up with for the half time show and weekly wrap up.

The other thing I was thinking about was how EA has "limited" resources and is working on an anual schedual. While I would rather EA work on game play issues in favor of presentation, I like many others, can appreciate amazing presentation. One way to put it, gameplay gets you playing, presentation keeps you playing. I hated 09, I don't hate M10. However, I just don't really play M10 a lot because I am still so bored of the game despite it's improvements. Just bored...

I have been playing 2k5 and 2k8 again when I want a football fix because of the presentation. It doesn't really matter what the game is, if you as a player can become immersed into the game, you'll keep playing it. I don't know if anyone here watches "zero punctuation" by 'Yahtzee' [spelling?] but he is really good at reviewing games, imo, and one consistant theme is if a game draws you in or not. He would talk about how nice Edler Scrolls VI: Oblivion is, but how it consistantly broke the immersion and eventually he became bored, but that Bethesda learned a lot from Oblivion and showed us when they made Fallout 3.

I guess, in conclusion, I just get to a point where I feel disapointed in the Madden Franchise over the cource of a year. The game play is pretty flawed and there is no real presentation or "replay" factor. I don't hate the game, I jsut lose interest in it, when in years past I didn't. I could play 2k5 or Madden 06, 07 [on last gen] franchise mode for a long time. I haven't played a deep franchise mode in around three years now and I miss that.

# 28 TDogg09 @ 02/07/10 02:44 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-...ame-atmosphere

Recreate this. That would be amazing.

# 29 PantherBeast_OS @ 02/07/10 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
I'm gonna try and post some footage I captured of PES2010 and the Champions League intro. Hopefully it won't get shot down by the YouTube police. But that's the kind of Presentation that Madden team needs to strive for. The Super Bowl is as much about pageantry as about football, if not more.....

Here's a bit that I found on YouTube. This is championship-level presentation. And it only part of it.
Very nice intro. Now that is what I want to see EA madden team do for SB in madden 11. That was great intro there. Man if Ian and crew would do a intro like that for madden 11. The sales would go through the roof big time for EA sports company. Hopefully Ian and Phil take some notes from this and make madden 11 Sb this good are halfway decent.

# 30 PantherBeast_OS @ 02/07/10 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDogg09
100% correct. The presentation needs to make sense for the context. There also needs to be a lot more variety in order to make that possible. It gets old to see the quarterback talking on the phone after every kickoff. I think if a player gets injured there should be a cutscene of the player trying to rehab the injury in order to get back in the game. Or if the player gets seriously injured, have him helped off the field by the training staff, and have a later cutscene of him taken off the field on a cart. That would be awesome.
Umm bro that is in madden 10. Just don't show up a whole lot.

# 31 Hova57 @ 02/07/10 04:59 PM
Quote:
dont press x so fast its there. that's the thing about presentation if you have the option to "x" throught it you miss it . then people will complain if its forced on you its a noone situation. intro to the playoff games, monday nite and superbowl should be uninterupted presentation.

# 32 TDogg09 @ 02/07/10 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
dont press x so fast its there. that's the thing about presentation if you have the option to "x" throught it you miss it . then people will complain if its forced on you its a noone situation. intro to the playoff games, monday nite and superbowl should be uninterupted presentation.
I know there is a cutscene of players being carted off right after the play where he get injured. But is there a scene that happens a play or two later where the injured guy gets carted off the field from the sideline? That's what I meant.

# 33 Hova57 @ 02/07/10 10:55 PM
Quote:
I know there is a cutscene of players being carted off right after the play where he get injured. But is there a scene that happens a play or two later where the injured guy gets carted off the field from the sideline? That's what I meant.
they have one where he is carted of the field the training crew gets him on the john deer and drive off , but they don't have one from the sideline to the tunnel if that's what your talking about

# 34 TDogg09 @ 02/07/10 11:03 PM
Quote:
they have one where he is carted of the field the training crew gets him on the john deer and drive off , but they don't have one from the sideline to the tunnel if that's what your talking about
The sideline one was what I was talking about. In real broadcasts, I see it a lot where the player will be helped to the sideline by the trainers, and then a little bit later they will cart him off (if the injury is bad enough). They could just show the trainers helping the player off the field, and then when they give you the injury update, instead of just panning around the stadium, show them carting the injured player off through the tunnel.

# 35 Hova57 @ 02/07/10 11:17 PM
Quote:
The sideline one was what I was talking about. In real broadcasts, I see it a lot where the player will be helped to the sideline by the trainers, and then a little bit later they will cart him off (if the injury is bad enough). They could just show the trainers helping the player off the field, and then when they give you the injury update, instead of just panning around the stadium, show them carting the injured player off through the tunnel.
that would be cool , then when they said he's back you could see him running out of the tunnel

# 36 TDogg09 @ 02/07/10 11:34 PM
Quote:
that would be cool , then when they said he's back you could see him running out of the tunnel
That would be really cool.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.