Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

It's official. Mike Wang has returned to 2K Sports as Lead Gameplay Designer for NBA 2K11. ESPN has some of the details.

Quote:
"When I went over there (to EA), a lot of it was for personal reasons. I wanted to try something new, try a new challenge. But after being there and spending some time over at EA, it was clear that they do things a different way, and in a way it's just inefficient and just not the place to be to make the best games," said Wang in a recent conference call with ESPN to announce his return. "When I went there, I immediately missed VC (Visual Concepts), and it's just one of those things where I tried to stick it out as long as I could, but I wanted to come back. With some of the creative decisions over at EA, it just made it difficult to stay there. They just want to make a different game than I had a vision for. So I reached out to (2K's senior vice president of sports development) Greg Thomas and he was gracious enough to have me back."

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 ehh @ 02/02/10 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer86
The expectations for 2K11 are going to be very, very high. Not only does 2K have the return of a very talented lead man, they now have someone who knows what works well in NBA Live and exactly how to implement it.
2K11 could be legendary. On this forum we always say, "Wow, it'd be great if we could combine two sports games and take the best from each to make one ultimate game."

We could wind up with this October. If the player control is brought over from Live and the playbooks, man 2K11 may permanently end the Live series.

EA dug it's own grave, built it's own coffin and supplied the hammer and nails for 2K to close it with this move.

# 42 rspencer86 @ 02/02/10 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
2K11 could be legendary. On this forum we always say, "Wow, it'd be great if we could combine two sports games and take the best from each to make one ultimate game."

We could wind up with this October. If the player control is brought over from Live and the playbooks, man 2K11 may permanently end the Live series.

EA dug it's own grave, built it's own coffin and supplied the hammer and nails for 2K to close it with this move.
I agree. 2K10 set the base with the introduction of all of these new features (My Player, NBA Today, etc.), so the focus for 2K11 should be entirely on tweaking and tuning to make everything work to perfection. There shouldn't be an ounce of energy wasted on coming up with new modes or new features—2K10 was already one of the deepest, feature-rich sports games ever. The attention should shift to making everything that is already in place work very well.

If they do this and 2K11 is a game with little to no online connection issues, a rock-solid sim engine, player tendencies that truly work, playcalling that is both simple to use and deep, and controls that give us the ability to move with precision, we'll have a surefire winner.

# 43 edubbs @ 02/02/10 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh

I agree.

Playbooks, control, and sig shot releases. Hopefully, Beluba addresses these issues ASAP.

Nice to know that he has been on board since Nov.

This game is already my most anticipated title for this year.

# 44 RoyalBoyle78 @ 02/02/10 09:36 AM
Of course Wang will only make 2K more solid again. If 2k indeed sold 2 million copies, they just proved 2k didn't even need Wang, not sure what terms Wang left on, but after selling 2 million copies without him, I would have say thanks but don't really need ya, Sorry Wang. I think EA was heading in the right direction, but I think Wang should have gave EA another year, IMO.

# 45 BobbyColtrane @ 02/02/10 09:39 AM
Serious: This is great news. Welcome back Beluba!

Kidding: What is this guy the Larry Brown of basketball gaming?

# 46 Kully @ 02/02/10 09:40 AM
I think expectations for 2K11 are right now a bit too high.

# 47 ataman5 @ 02/02/10 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer86
I agree. 2K10 set the base with the introduction of all of these new features (My Player, NBA Today, etc.), so the focus for 2K11 should be entirely on tweaking and tuning to make everything work to perfection. There shouldn't be an ounce of energy wasted on coming up with new modes or new features—2K10 was already one of the deepest, feature-rich sports games ever. The attention should shift to making everything that is already in place work very well.

If they do this and 2K11 is a game with little to no online connection issues, a rock-solid sim engine, player tendencies that truly work, playcalling that is both simple to use and deep, and controls that give us the ability to move with precision, we'll have a surefire winner.
Tweaking on 2k10 wouldn't be enough at all; and having a winner is none of my business n don't care i just want a bball game plays like a real bball game when i control it. So if they won't change the controls, courts spacin, playycalling, ai not being a cheeser, and defense and all other minor gameplay stuff that kills everything, then i guess i'll have no basketball game for next year.

# 48 Pared @ 02/02/10 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kully
I think expectations for 2K11 are right now a bit too high.
Huge understatement you've made there, Kully...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I have to agree. It's great to have him back and I respect him of course, given his interaction back when he was originally w/VC. But just last year the forums were up in arms because of what he said negative about the supposed limitations of the 2K engine. We shouldn't be so prone to overreacting. Still, was an interesting article on what was said. And I'm sure his added talent will help make 2K11 (and whatever other projects) that much better

Great post. People have a short memory. It's pretty evident by the "now I can believe this series will be a sim-game again" posts. The flip-flopping is a joke.

The article is pretty harsh. There's no love-loss between these two.

# 49 edubbs @ 02/02/10 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
Of course Wang will only make 2K more solid again. If 2k indeed sold 2 million copies, they just proved 2k didn't even need Wang, not sure what terms Wang left on, but after selling 2 million copies without him, I would have say thanks but don't really need ya, Sorry Wang. I think EA was heading in the right direction, but I think Wang should have gave EA another year, IMO.
Sales are important but, for gameplay heads like ALOT of people on this board. Bringing back Mike is HUGE.

2K10 has quite a few holes in it's gameplay that he can specificly try to correct.

And the one thing you can say about Mike is, he knows what the game is lacking gameplay wise and he knows what WE want fixed, it's just a matter of implementation.

He is like an extension of alot of us on this board, except he knows AI programming and we don't. The game should definately be better next year on the court.

How much better is yet to be seen.

# 50 d12orlando @ 02/02/10 09:52 AM
I agree. I don't understand some of the cynics in this thread. Nba 2k8 was the best in the series (next gen anyways) and that was the one Mike Wang last worked on. He also improved the Live series tremendously. This guy can make a difference.

And forget what he said about limitations of the 2k engine. We don't know if that was really true. He could have said it to sell more copies of Live. I don't think its prudent to hang onto that argument. The limitations that Mike Wang spoke of could be true or untrue. What is proven is that this guy has a proven track record.

And no. The flip flopping isn't a joke. People didn't change their opinions for a stupid reason. If you are going to jump on a bandwagon then the Mike Wang back at 2ksports is a pretty good one.

# 51 jmood88 @ 02/02/10 09:55 AM
Quote:
lol how are you going to say that he should've given them another year? He's said over and over again that the management was going in a different direction than what he signed up for.

# 52 GSW @ 02/02/10 09:59 AM
hmmmm this is interesting.

Until they fix player movement and control im still not messing with 2k though

and thats not even Mikes "area" so...i dont really know...

I'm glad for him getting a new job so quick though in this economy and such...huge leap of faith... and kudos for the 2k team accepting him back with no hard feelings after the hub-bub of last year.

Shows they understand its just about making the game better and nothing that was said by either party was personal.

Congrats Mike

# 53 d12orlando @ 02/02/10 10:03 AM
It is his area

# 54 RoyalBoyle78 @ 02/02/10 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
lol how are you going to say that he should've given them another year? He's said over and over again that the management was going in a different direction than what he signed up for.
What direction could that be, nobody has heard anything on what's going with LIVE. So that's pretty much speculation at this point wouldn't you agree?

# 55 CX1329 @ 02/02/10 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by d12orlando
And forget what he said about limitations of the 2k engine. We don't know if that was really true. He could have said it to sell more copies of Live. I don't think its prudent to hang onto that argument. The limitations that Mike Wang spoke of could be true or untrue. What is proven is that this guy has a proven track record.

And he could well be saying things now just to sell more copies of 2K11. We might never know his true view on matters until he's unemployed.

But in all seriousness, NBA 2K11 is also my most anticipated game of the year now. I'm -really- curious as to how Wang's return will affect the 2K franchise, especially considering how stale it's becoming. Save for the new gameplay modes, 2K10 isn't a new game by any means, rather, it's what 2K9 should have been.

# 56 jmood88 @ 02/02/10 11:00 AM
Quote:
What direction could that be, nobody has heard anything on what's going with LIVE. So that's pretty much speculation at this point wouldn't you agree?
It's speculation coming from the guy who left while talking about the reasons for him leaving.

# 57 videobastard @ 02/02/10 11:07 AM
I hope mike brings back the dribble system of live to the 2k series... 2k badly needs it.

# 58 CX1329 @ 02/02/10 11:08 AM
I think it was made pretty clear that Live will try to reinvent the wheel again. I don't think they will go arcade, I believe they will try and stay sim, but they will most likely attempt to innovate when said innovation isn't necessary. It's one of NBA Live's problems, in that they always try to revolutionize the series as opposed to establishing a solid groundwork and building upon it.

# 59 DaveDQ @ 02/02/10 12:18 PM
This thread is beginning to prove that some have zero interest in there being two or more competitive sports games. We can give a good talk about how exclusive licenses ruin the industry and that it's only better when you have multiple representations of the sport in a game. However, the reality is most want "their" game to win.

I don't know why really, but some are so jaded by things that I think they literally get mad and can't celebrate the success and efforts of the product that is not "their" game.

# 60 rspencer86 @ 02/02/10 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
This thread is beginning to prove that some have zero interest in there being two or more competitive sports games. We can give a good talk about how exclusive licenses ruin the industry and that it's only better when you have multiple representations of the sport in a game. However, the reality is most want "their" game to win.

I don't know why really, but some are so jaded by things that I think they literally get mad and can't celebrate the success and efforts of the product that is not "their" game.
Agreed. This is really a good news/bad news situation because although I believe this reunion of the 2K7/8 development team could potentially produce an outstanding game, if NBA Live falls off the map we would lose that competitive force that will push the 2K team to keep making a solid product.

Someone posted that the comparison between 2K and Live is now like a muscle car and a hybrid. Using that analogy, wouldn't the dude driving the muscle car look in his rearview and see the Prius just barely getting off the line when he is already halfway home and decide to ease off the pedal and coast to victory?

It's just human nature to let your guard down and take it a bit easy when there isn't competitive pressure. Ultimately, that's bad for us gamers, no matter which game is the top dog.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.