Home
MLB 10 News Post

Gameinformer has posted an interview with Joe Mauer, cover athlete for MLB '10: The Show.

Quote:
GI: "Have you had to correct the developers on anything?"

Joe: "Not really; they're pretty spot-on with everything. I got my hands on [the game], and I played an inning. I was playing myself, and I struck out. I think that was more of a user problem than anything, though. [Laughs]"

Game: MLB '10: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 66 - View All
MLB '10: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 EnigmaNemesis @ 02/04/10 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Sorry...NO WAY.

You may hate him...but this belongs to Ty Cobb....
.366 lifetime BA(over 24 seasons!)
11 batting titles(including losing in '22 with a .401 average!!)
Led the league in hits 8 times...
Had over 200 hits 8 times(156 games per season...not 162)
and after getting the regular starting position...his 3rd season never batted under .325(until his final season... .323)
Batted over .400three times(including the record .420).... .390..... .382.... 380+ quite a few times....uggh...do I need to go on?
Oh...yeah....was stealing 70/80/90 bases regularly.
The man was a MACHINE.

M.K.
Knight165
I said right now currently playing he is the best in all of baseball. For being a contact hitter. And can be argued as in a small group of best of all time.

Never said the numero uno.

Just so we are clear.

# 22 EnigmaNemesis @ 02/04/10 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I don't know I think Ich is still the best hitter ever. Even over the greats. The game has changed so much with having relief pitchers now. And Ich is just a flat out stud with the bat.

And one could argue the talent difference of back then to now. Advanced scouting to get the best players you can find, performance enhancements, pitch types, etc etc.

# 23 EnigmaNemesis @ 02/04/10 02:05 AM
Quote:
Well if we were talking about this time span I would take Ich, and if we were in Cobb time span I would take Ich still. So I guess you have my answer.

That is my point. The competition is more fierce now compared to them. Due to scouting and advanced performance enhancements, etc etc.

# 24 Knight165 @ 02/04/10 02:10 AM
Quote:
I don't know I think Ich is still the best hitter ever. Even over the greats. The game has changed so much with having relief pitchers now. And Ich is just a flat out stud with the bat.
YOUR MIND!...you're...out of it!
(I was wondering if someone would bring up the "pitching" crock! )
Forget RP'ers.....look up the 100 best ERA of all time..and if you're a WHIP fan....the top 100 WHIP of all time(you'll probably only recognize 4 names...Rivera,Hoffman, Santana and Pedro.(okay..you'll recognize Seaver)

Enigma...you're right...I thought you said.."he could be argued as THE best ever"...not what you did say.

M.K.
Knight165

# 25 indigence @ 02/04/10 02:31 AM
The argument always made when comparing the golden age to contemporary players is how good would Ty Cobbs be today if he had the same access to trainers and modern equipment. Would he be just as effective as he was back then? Who knows.

Saying if you transplant Mickey Mantle to today he wouldn't make a major league roster is similar to saying if you transplanted Ernest Hemmingway to today he would suck as an author and wouldn't be able to get anything published.

This doesn't mean that either of these individuals suck at their profession, all it means is that their professions has evolved just as we would expect. To say a player in one era is "better" than the other is very relative and impossible to answer.

# 26 cnh2os84 @ 02/04/10 07:24 AM
Joe Mauer's name hasn't come up for like 30 posts, this is a thread about his interview right?!?!??!

# 27 rudyjuly2 @ 02/04/10 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury53
Give me Ichiro any day. Nine consecutive 200 hit seasons, amazing defense and speed like no other. I will take Ichiro over Mauer.
You can have him. I prefer guys that drive in runs over guys that swing like a girl. Mauer's OPS is 80 points higher than Ichiro and his career batting average is only 6 points less.

# 28 rudyjuly2 @ 02/04/10 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdurg
And since he's a catcher, his career will be about 6 or 7 years less. RIGHT NOW, I would take Mauer over Ichiro simply because of the age factor. In terms of when their careers are over, Ichiro will have better numbers.
But that's the crazy thing about baseball numbers today. There are a million of them. And the one everyone loves right now is OPS and I would bet strongly that Mauer's OPS will be a lot better when both career's are finished.

# 29 tabarnes19_SDS @ 02/04/10 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdurg
And since he's a catcher, his career will be about 6 or 7 years less. RIGHT NOW, I would take Mauer over Ichiro simply because of the age factor. In terms of when their careers are over, Ichiro will have better numbers.
I disagree with this. Mauer will be moved to first base to keep his bat. There was talk a while back about moving his position because of how big he is getting.

# 30 Chef Matt @ 02/04/10 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
I disagree with this. Mauer will be moved to first base to keep his bat. There was talk a while back about moving his position because of how big he is getting.
That's what she said...

I could see this happening but, he's still got some years behind the plate.

# 31 tabarnes19_SDS @ 02/04/10 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdad
That's what she said...

I could see this happening but, he's still got some years behind the plate.
LOL.....yeah I agree he will be catching for a few years yet. My gut tells me when Morneau leaves he'll step into the role of 1b.

# 32 GoBucs09 @ 02/04/10 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnh2os84
Joe Mauer's name hasn't come up for like 30 posts, this is a thread about his interview right?!?!??!
This Thread Is Freaking Awesome!

Is Ichiro vs Cobb a better comparison than Ichiro vs Mauer?

How come we don't have goofy nicknames in baseball anymore? Also on a lighter note, not enough people talk with a New York accent! Oh right the Dodgers and Giants moved.

# 33 Goose26 @ 02/05/10 02:47 AM
All of these debates are moot, because when the time comes for Mauer to hang up the spikes, (barring career-ending injury) he will go down as the greatest hitter to have played the game! That's right, you heard it here first.

But seriously, he won't be a catcher for more than another 3 years and once he moves to either 1B or full time DH, he will be able to have just as long of a career as any other position player.

His textbook-perfect swing combined with an eye for the ball that nobody in our generation has seen any other player possess will equal several more batting titles and probably a record or two when all is said and done.

# 34 EnigmaNemesis @ 02/05/10 03:03 AM
No, no bias there at all Goose.

# 35 Goose26 @ 02/05/10 03:08 AM
Haha, alright, part of it is my Minnesota bias, but most of it is what I would believe no matter where I was from. Anybody who walks more than they strikeout, hits over .350 and blasts 28 HR's is a damn fine hitter in my book.

# 36 EnigmaNemesis @ 02/05/10 03:34 AM
Garciaparra for the Red Sox walked more than he struck out in 99' and 00', hit over .350 in both years, and had 27 and 21 HRs respectively too. 1.022 and 1.033 OPS.

Sadly he became an injury bug after.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.