Home
MLB 2K10 News Post

Gamepro has posted their preview of Major League Baseball 2K10.

Quote:
"One advantage players will notice by having Visual Concepts at the helm for the entire development cycle is the luxury of learning from their successful experiences with NBA 2K10. "Now that we have NHL, NBA and MLB all in house here at Visual Concepts, we have the ability to share resources a lot more," said Bishop. "You can see similarities in navigation and presentation and we want you to have a sense of familiarity with whatever 2K Sports title you pick up. When you play MLB 2K10's My Player mode you'll see a lot of elements that are in common with NBA 2K10's My Player mode. We took a lot of what they did to set the bar and we tried to add elements that made more sense for baseball."

Game: Major League Baseball 2K10Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 33 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Artman22 @ 02/04/10 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
I did not tell him what to post, I asked him politely, because it just creates crap like we have now. Getting personal and airing dirty laundry that has nothing to do with this forum. What he says on 2K has no correlation to here.

Hypocrisy.

Get over it

Moving on.
So you don't tell him what to post you just ask politely not to post about the other forums???? Isn't that telling Someone what not to do?(post)?? I didn't know you were asked to moderate these forums. Interesting. You talk about not getting personal then you call me a hypocrite? What is there to get over? It's simple let the mods do their jobs.

# 22 brendanrfoley @ 02/04/10 02:30 AM
Yikes.

I should have been clearer, but I meant to point out post history in this forum (the OS MLB 2K sub-forum), not 2K's. I certainly don't want to drag stuff from over there over here. Jesus, no. I don't even know if he is registered over there.

Anywho, I'm guilty of a pinch of backseat moderating and apologize.

As for the preview, it seems a bit shallow (like several others). Early previews of 2K9 were more critical (the IGN in particular) and I should be pleased with the positive tone of 2K10's previews... but the wait is killing me.

# 23 Artman22 @ 02/04/10 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
Ok guys, lets chill out. I know everyone wants to see gameplay, including me. Unfortunately we have to wait it out.

Lets keep things civil in the mean time.
You're right.

# 24 Artman22 @ 02/04/10 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Hello Art. look 2 post up from yours. I think they are doing their job. Any way I like what I am hearing and seeing from this game too.
I see that and that's the way it should be lol. One of the few things that's makes me a bit optimistic about 2k10 is that chase said he wasn't ready to put the control down as oppose to last year.

# 25 EnigmaNemesis @ 02/04/10 02:39 AM
Quote:
To respond to your earlier post. I think it is a good sign that we have not heard that much bad about this game. What was it like last year? After people preview the game what were their responses? I know Chase said he didn't feel like quitting before his time was up with the game. Is that not a good thing?

Good point.

# 26 PVarck31 @ 02/04/10 02:42 AM
Every day when I wake up the first thing I think of is are there any gameplay videos today? lol

Pretty sad huh

# 27 Artman22 @ 02/04/10 02:56 AM
Quote:
First thing I think of is I wonder if Pj is thinking about if there is any gameplay video today too. I am sure they will be out soon. I email Ronnie and ask if they were going to have a sneak peak day like they did for NHL2K. But he said we will see. I hope they do, because I am pretty I would be able to go again. Ronnie is cool dude. That takes way too much **** from people by the way. People need to leave that dude alone.
You're going again because you're pretty?

# 28 jake44np @ 02/04/10 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke776
I agree, but a few days ago Ron said no gameplay videos anytime soon. That doesn't really tell us when to expect them, but it doesn't sound like there will be any for a few weeks.

http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showt...66#post3005766
My decision has just been made for me, it you cant put any game play videos out I cant buy your game. This game has been total crap for 3 years now, show us it no longer is crap or I am not buying it. I have been considering purchasing a PS3 just to play the show. After reading that there will not be any game play videos "for a few more weeks" I am off to purchase the PS3 tonight.

# 29 PVarck31 @ 02/04/10 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake44np
My decision has just been made for me, it you cant put any game play videos out I cant buy your game. This game has been total crap for 3 years now, show us it no longer is crap or I am not buying it. I have been considering purchasing a PS3 just to play the show. After reading that there will not be any game play videos "for a few more weeks" I am off to purchase the PS3 tonight.
Maybe that is just official 2k gameplay videos. We should see videos from IGN and Gamespot sooner. Hopefully.

# 30 ExtremeGamer @ 02/04/10 08:04 AM
Even with gameplay videos or not, it's like I can play the game till it comes out anyway. Until I can play a demo or the actual game, I can't say whether or not this game will be like last year, or an improvement. No one can.

# 31 PVarck31 @ 02/04/10 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
Even with gameplay videos or not, it's like I can play the game till it comes out anyway. Until I can play a demo or the actual game, I can't say whether or not this game will be like last year, or an improvement. No one can.
Good point! Last year I thought the Gameplay videos looked good lol.

# 32 DaveDQ @ 02/04/10 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke776
I agree, but a few days ago Ron said no gameplay videos anytime soon. That doesn't really tell us when to expect them, but it doesn't sound like there will be any for a few weeks.

http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showt...66#post3005766
Given Ron's track record, maybe that means very soon.

# 33 Knight165 @ 02/04/10 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
Haha...very good.

M.K.
Knight165

# 34 JBH3 @ 02/04/10 11:19 AM
Can someone post the article into the thread? I cannot view the link from os@work.

# 35 Blzer @ 02/04/10 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
Can someone post the article into the thread? I cannot view the link from os@work.
Pretty soon you're going to have to change your avatar to Blzer, because he's coming in the clutch a bit more than Utley these days :

Quote:
There's perhaps no other phrase that resonates more with baseball fans than "there's always next year." With pitchers and catchers less than three weeks away, one can't help but get excited at the clean slate their team gets - in real life and on their favorite console.

It's no secret that MLB 2K9 was a disappointment. Its score on Metacritic topped out at an underwhelming 64, with most of the major gaming outlets, including GamePro, giving it a below average score. So you could understand how shocked I was when I first sat down to play MLB 2K10 and realized that it might actually have a shot at being a worthwhile effort.

In talking with Visual Concepts producer Ben Bishop, it was obvious the development team was humbled by last year's game. But like a resilient team with playoff aspirations, the devs are using the adversity as inspiration to reboot the franchise and get back to good fundamental gameplay. "2K9 was really a challenging year for us," said Bishop who spoke at length about last year's consolidation of the Kush Games and Visual Concepts studios. The change came during the development of MLB 2K9, setting the team back two to three months and making it difficult for them to accomplish their goals. "We never want to make excuses no matter what the situation [but] it was pretty clear going into 2K10 that we had a lot of work to do to improve the game and get the series back on track."

During my time with the game (which was roughly 85% complete) I noticed how much smoother and more natural the game felt on both sides of the ball. Pitches are now selected prior to moving the right analog stick, which ensures that no matter how badly you mess up the gesture, your guy will still throw the pitch you want. At the plate, the developers have re-envisioned the way players interpret incoming pitches. A batter's eye rating, combined with how well the pitcher makes the throwing motion, will determine whether the batter can see which pitch is coming. What's even better is that in addition to contact and power swings, players can now press left or right on the right analog stick to swing defensively. Despite some bugs in the build I played, it was clear that improving the defensive gameplay has been a priority. My fielders responded appropriately and made all the easy plays. Bishop is confident there will be no need for major patches just weeks after release, like last year's game.

One advantage players will notice by having Visual Concepts at the helm for the entire development cycle is the luxury of learning from their successful experiences with NBA 2K10. "Now that we have NHL, NBA and MLB all in house here at Visual Concepts, we have the ability to share resources a lot more," said Bishop. "You can see similarities in navigation and presentation and we want you to have a sense of familiarity with whatever 2K Sports title you pick up. When you play MLB 2K10's My Player mode you'll see a lot of elements that are in common with NBA 2K10's My Player mode. We took a lot of what they did to set the bar and we tried to add elements that made more sense for baseball."

Fans of Franchise Mode have much to be excited about as well. Between the addition of a 40-man roster, rehab assignments, compensation draft picks and a revamped trade block, players should experience the most in depth mode the series has ever offered. And like NBA 2K10, players will now have the ability to announce their accolades to the world via their own 2K hosted blog. Write your own posts, upload highlight clips or scores, and broadcast it on your Facebook or Twitter account.

From the few hours I spent playing MLB 2K10 and talking to Bishop, there's much for fans of the series to feel optimistic about. Look for GamePro's review when the game hits shelves on March 2, and head to 2ksports.com to find out how you can win one million dollars for throwing a perfect game!

# 36 Blzer @ 02/04/10 11:28 AM
As for the slight bicker about lack of gameplay videos, here's how I see it from some people's perspective... if they can't get out gameplay videos before SCEA releases a demo for The Show, PS3 users are going to have a hard time convincing themselves about having 2K as a single or second game on their shelf. They kind of need that persuasion before another game locks them up the rest of the way through, especially if they pre-order as a result.

The only thing that I worry about is that they're simply not ready to release this game yet (working countless hours in the home stretch to get what they wanted to get in), or that this is another 2K8 where there's nothing they're proud of showing. I really doubt that's the case by seeing the previews, but these previewers probably don't look for the same thing in baseball games as I do. What do I mean by that? Well so far Chase is still the only one to mention the lack of a check swing. What else have other previewers been hiding? There is still so much to figure out about this game, and we'll only get that either by seeing gameplay videos, playing the demo, reading impressions, or playing retail. Until then, we're left guessing while The Show piles on more and more media with an impending demo possibly within the week.

# 37 Artman22 @ 02/04/10 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
I agree there. Even with full gameplay vids, it's always completely different to actually play the game.

I do think it's odd to wait so long to show videos though... it really does make it seem like 2K is "hiding" something, whether they actually are or not.

One would just think that after how poor last year's effort was, they would want to show the improvements as soon as possible.
I agree it sucks the way 2k does their stuff, but they do the same for the nba series as well, and that's their bread and butter.

# 38 rock85 @ 02/04/10 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
Every day when I wake up the first thing I think of is are there any gameplay videos today? lol

Pretty sad huh
That's exactly what i do. I just want 2 great baseball game's and i know i have one already. Check that i'll take one great and one very good

# 39 rock85 @ 02/04/10 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
LOL I hope so

# 40 JBH3 @ 02/04/10 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Pretty soon you're going to have to change your avatar to Blzer, because he's coming through in the clutch a bit more than Utley these days :
Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamepro MLB2K10 Preview
Fans of Franchise Mode have much to be excited about as well. Between the addition of a 40-man roster, rehab assignments, compensation draft picks and a revamped trade block, players should experience the most in depth mode the series has ever offered. And like NBA 2K10, players will now have the ability to announce their accolades to the world via their own 2K hosted blog. Write your own posts, upload highlight clips or scores, and broadcast it on your Facebook or Twitter account.
^This is such great news. Depth in franchise mode is a MUST. I just hope they've fixed the issues w/ player contracts, team budgets, and free agency.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.