Home
NCAA Basketball 11 News Post

After all the rumors, it has become official.

Source: Gameinformer - EA Sports Confirms NCAA Basketball Benching

Quote:
"Looking over the list of list of Electronic Arts titles planned for release during the next fiscal year, one sports franchise is notably absent. Today EA Sports senior director of communications David Tinson confirmed that NCAA Basketball has fouled out of the lineup. “We do not have an NCAA Basketball game in development at this time, and we’re currently reviewing the future of our NCAA Basketball business," he said. "This was a difficult decision, but we remain a committed partner to the NCAA and its member institutions.”

Tinson also told Game Informer that the move to shut down NCAA will not result in another round of layoffs. Instead, the development team has been integrated into other projects. EA Canada still has two basketball games in development, with NBA Live and the recently announced resurrection of NBA Jam."

NCAA Basketball 11 screenshot gallery - Click to view NCAA Basketball 11 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NCAA Basketball 11Hype Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
Member Comments
# 81 stoncold32 @ 02/11/10 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
The license ends after NCAA 11 anyway. There is no way in hell EA will shell out the cash to renew it.
Dont be so sure of that. I'm sure they set aside operating expenses for stuff like this even in the midst of their losses.

Without these exclusive licenses, I think EA woulda been dead in the water long ago. Imagine if Sony could get a football team together to make a new football game like The Show.

These licenses are the only thing keep EA's American titles afloat, and they know it.

# 82 stoncold32 @ 02/11/10 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
I hope the nex, next-gen consoles support higher disc usuage ... maybe they can combine two games on one disc...so your getting two games (somewhat) on one disc... with fully intergrated features.

NBA/NCAA 2k12

"play with and draft your superstar of the future!" ... seamless integration between both games.

could work... (probably not)
After the terrible showings from most next-gen sports games, there's no way in Hades I'm buying another "next-next gen" system.

I wish I was a bigger RPG/action game fan..I'd be pretty happy right now. GTA is the only other type of game I own.

# 83 duke776 @ 02/11/10 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
Imagine if Sony could get a football team together to make a new football game like The Show.
Success in one sport (unfortunately)doesn't always carry over to success in another for companies. Perfect example with Sony, the show is great, it's basketball game was not.

# 84 GSW @ 02/11/10 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
After the terrible showings from most next-gen sports games, there's no way in Hades I'm buying another "next-next gen" system.

I wish I was a bigger RPG/action game fan..I'd be pretty happy right now. GTA is the only other type of game I own.
this is only my OPINION... but the only true, worth it, next gen, SPORTS game in my eyes is MLB The Show....and MAYBE EA's NHL series...all the other games are just trying to hard to reinvent a wheel that never needed reinventing...only refining.

# 85 Behindshadows @ 02/11/10 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
Bad day for sports gaming.
You have a true statement here my friend!

Reading others post for the last few pages, just shows me why we are in the situation we are in now as consumers.

A lot of haters, and 2k fanboys hear this announcement and just laugh and rejoice. And just get ready to pull out their, I hate EA tablets and get to reading pages and posting the words in this thread.

EA sux, forever 2k, blah blah blah!

First off as a gamer and a sports gamer, this is a terrible day. You can swing on 2k's ..... all day! But they left on their own, just as majority of their other titles did.

But instead of lashing out on Take Two, you blamed EA, and started making up false accusations about a NCAA License deal, etc.

I mean grow up already and re-direct your ignorant blame on 2ksports / Take Two. I think it's highly sad and pathetic, that you can seriously celebrate that we are losing this series.

Because in the end, fact is 2k dropped out first, and now EA is doing the same, mainly because they still tried to make an effort, and you can say it was for profit, all you want! But a lot of the ideas put into NCAA Basketball 10 were for us, to have a current game and try to give us the presentation and gameplay mechanics they thought we'd enjoy.

Small amount of people had a freezing issue, and a few issues with things that could have been patched, but the game sold so poorly, they just gave up on the title, plus EA as a corporation overall were doing some shifting in employees and having major layoffs. In return we got burned on any chance of updates.

The game is still enjoyable and playable, it wasn't nearly as bad as complete closing doors on future projects. Especially when some of the things are the best we had in years.

But if you think your celebrating, constant bashing and ignorance towards this company is hurting them, then your wrong. It's hurting us as gamers. Because now, the 1 company who at least decided to stay in the race, are now dropping off as well.

Majority of you were knocking this game even before a release, just because EA sports published it. Not everyone at EA is a dick or an ***. But you all judged them all equally, even the ones who were trying to give us a fun and enjoyable experience.

They lost sales for many reasons, not because of the lack of interest in NCAA Basketball or College Basketball....however you want to label it.

They lost sales for lack of marketing, lack of consumer interest, due to biased opinions of EA as a whole. And they lost sales due to lack of content in stores. This game was scarce and bare at almost every retail location. Same as NCAA Basketball 09.

Then you have the thousands of biased fanboys, just like in OS. That were seeking nothing but flaws, when there is so much done right. Then you have Lamestop employees telling customers that this game is bad, because EA made it. I mean I got that from 9 different locations in Dallas alone. With the whole I heard it from a friend story. And I'm sure that's a nationwide thing at all locations.

But again, to celebrate at this news is insulting and just down right childish. No matter what your problem is with this series or what your issue is with EA sports. At least they were trying to give us a game.

And now it looks like College Basketball games are dead in the video game market.

Again we all lose in this news! And for anyone to be happy is just wow!!!!

We lose! We lose! Get it through your skull! WE LOSE!!! GAMERS LOSE!!!

# 86 racerx @ 02/11/10 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows

Reading others post for the last few pages, just shows me why we are in the situation we are in now as consumers.

A lot of haters, and 2k fanboys hear this announcement and just laugh and rejoice. And just get ready to pull out their, I hate EA tablets and get to reading pages and posting the words in this thread.

First off as a gamer and a sports gamer, this is a terrible day. You can swing on 2k's ..... all day! But they left on their own, just as majority of their other titles did.

But instead of lashing out on Take Two, you blamed EA, and started making up false accusations about a NCAA License deal, etc.

I mean grow up already and re-direct your ignorant blame on 2ksports / Take Two. I think it's highly sad and pathetic, that you can seriously celebrate that we are losing this series.

Because in the end, fact is 2k dropped out first, and now EA is doing the same, mainly because they still tried to make an effort, and you can say it was for profit, all you want! But a lot of the ideas put into NCAA Basketball 10 were for us, to have a current game and try to give us the presentation and gameplay mechanics they thought we'd enjoy.

Small amount of people had a freezing issue, and a few issues with things that could have been patched, but the game sold so poorly, they just gave up on the title, plus EA as a corporation overall were doing some shifting in employees and having major layoffs. In return we got burned on any chance of updates.

The game is still enjoyable and playable, it wasn't nearly as bad as complete closing doors on future projects. Especially when some of the things are the best we had in years.

But if you think your celebrating, constant bashing and ignorance towards this company is hurting them, then your wrong. It's hurting us as gamers. Because now, the 1 company who at least decided to stay in the race, are now dropping off as well.

Majority of you were knocking this game even before a release, just because EA sports published it. Not everyone at EA is a dick or an ***. But you all judged them all equally, even the ones who were trying to give us a fun and enjoyable experience.

They lost sales for many reasons, not because of the lack of interest in NCAA Basketball or College Basketball....however you want to label it.

They lost sales for lack of marketing, lack of consumer interest, due to biased opinions of EA as a whole. And they lost sales due to lack of content in stores. This game was scarce and bare at almost every retail location. Same as NCAA Basketball 09.

Then you have the thousands of biased fanboys, just like in OS. That were seeking nothing but flaws, when there is so much done right. Then you have Lamestop employees telling customers that this game is bad, because EA made it. I mean I got that from 9 different locations in Dallas alone. With the whole I heard it from a friend story. And I'm sure that's a nationwide thing at all locations.

But again, to celebrate at this news is insulting and just down right childish. No matter what your problem is with this series or what your issue is with EA sports. At least they were trying to give us a game.

And now it looks like College Basketball games are dead in the video game market.

Excellent post Shadows!!!!!

# 87 bigsmallwood @ 02/11/10 11:24 PM
Quote:

What is your beef with 2K? Before your statements I haven't heard too many people "celebrating". Most people actually like this game and only want a patch for it...and nobody...I'll repeat it for you: NOBODY wanted to lose two College Basketball games...smh

I think that despite peoples personal preferences.....we all would love to have a college hoops game....Now we have none.

# 88 dickey1331 @ 02/11/10 11:47 PM
Quote:

very well said.

# 89 Behindshadows @ 02/11/10 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmallwood
What is your beef with 2K? Before your statements I haven't heard too many people "celebrating". Most people actually like this game and only want a patch for it...and nobody...I'll repeat it for you: NOBODY wanted to lose two College Basketball games...smh

I think that despite peoples personal preferences.....we all would love to have a college hoops game....Now we have none.
My problem isn't with 2k! My problem is with negative / bias 2k fans, and yeah there has been post, and the mods have been deleting them little by little.

But from some of the post that remain, people's comments are very bias. If I had a beef with 2ksports, I would be spending hundreds of hours updating 2k8.

But some people have come to the conclusion that they can do no wrong. And continue to overlook that Take Two, is killing their sports genre, 1 game at a time. Almost 1 game each year. Minus 2008 where it was 2 games. But can honestly come in here and be glad that EA is canceling this titles. Look at the polls above the forums and look at the good bye and who cares votes.

I mean as a College basketball fan, no one should ever choose that option.

As a sports gamer, they should never choose that answer, it was obviously because of their hatred for Electronic Arts as a whole, not as a development team.

People are so negative and constantly creating the come on EA threads, when no one read into the fact they laid off 1700 + employees and shifted the remaining. Just their own selfish post to make everyone else miserable who are enjoying the game. Just to point out flaws that a lot of others are seeing or experiencing.

I love 2ksports as a company, I love Visual Concepts, because of their talents and level of details they put into anything they lay their hands on. But I'm also mad at all the flaws their games have had over the last 2 seasons. And the outdated gameplay engine they've had since Dreamcast and Original Xbox and PS2.

But I don't make threads every 15 minutes encouraging consumers to run them into the ground, write them a letter, calling out Rob Jones and others.

I blame Take Two, for the lack of financial backing to get the 2k series where it should be, and for canceling a college series at it's greatest year.

Overall, my problem is with negative / bias 2k fans and people who have the nerve to honestly think that EA's decision to cancel this series is a good thing.

# 90 Mos1ted @ 02/12/10 07:47 AM
In my entire 26 1/2 years of existence, I've only purchased two college basketball games from EA - March Madness '98 (the very first one, didn't even have a crossover button while NBA Live '98 did) and March Madness 2002 (which only had exhibition and tournament modes, no season mode of any kind). Both games were lackluster efforts in my opinion during their releases.

The only thing I look for in a game is effort and polish; and in sports games - year to year improvements over previous titles. If a game is lacking in either category, I won't purchase it. I downloaded the NCAA BB 09 demo, but never bought the game. I thought the gameplay was decent, but judging from reviews I read both professionally and on here, I viewed the game as lacking polish (missing teams, etc.) and thus didn't purchase it.

When NCAA 10 demo dropped, I noticed that the menu system was exactly the same from last year ( strike 1). The presentation was better, but the gameplay seemed virtually unchanged to me (strike 2). Plus, a lot of people complained about freezing issues and lack of patches (strike 3). Despite updating the presentation, I wrote this game off as lacking effort, and thus didn't purchase it.

I'm not sad to see this series go honestly. I'm a big college sports video game fan, but I'm seeing this genre diminish more and more each year. I was a annual purchaser of NCAA Football (until this console generation) and College Hoops (I owned every single College Hoops title ever released until it's demise). I'm hoping 2K or some other developer can get back into the college basketball mix and that EA can deliver with NCAA Football this year. But if either game lacks polish and effort, my cycle will continue...

# 91 dickey1331 @ 02/12/10 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos1ted
In my entire 26 1/2 years of existence, I've only purchased two college basketball games from EA - March Madness '98 (the very first one, didn't even have a crossover button while NBA Live '98 did) and March Madness 2002 (which only had exhibition and tournament modes, no season mode of any kind). Both games were lackluster efforts in my opinion during their releases.

The only thing I look for in a game is effort and polish; and in sports games - year to year improvements over previous titles. If a game is lacking in either category, I won't purchase it. I downloaded the NCAA BB 09 demo, but never bought the game. I thought the gameplay was decent, but judging from reviews I read both professionally and on here, I viewed the game as lacking polish (missing teams, etc.) and thus didn't purchase it.

When NCAA 10 demo dropped, I noticed that the menu system was exactly the same from last year ( strike 1). The presentation was better, but the gameplay seemed virtually unchanged to me (strike 2). Plus, a lot of people complained about freezing issues and lack of patches (strike 3). Despite updating the presentation, I wrote this game off as lacking effort, and thus didn't purchase it.

I'm not sad to see this series go honestly. I'm a big college sports video game fan, but I'm seeing this genre diminish more and more each year. I was a annual purchaser of NCAA Football (until this console generation) and College Hoops (I owned every single College Hoops title ever released until it's demise). I'm hoping 2K or some other developer can get back into the college basketball mix and that EA can deliver with NCAA Football this year. But if either game lacks polish and effort, my cycle will continue...
You obviously should play the game since you are very wrong about it. It is night and day to NCAA BB 09.

# 92 whittleboy615 @ 02/12/10 11:40 AM
One reason for the "happiness," besides negative EA bias, may be that some people believe their is now more potential for another company to decide to make a better NCAA Basketball game.

What they fail to realize is that this occurrence will actually deter other companies from trying this genre. If EA, a massively successful corporation that has been dominating sports gaming since forever, can't get enough profit out of this exclusive title, then who can?

Our best hope as gamers is that the CLC significantly lowers the price of their license and both EA and 2K find it in their best financial interests to give this genre another try. If that doesn't happen, we will be stuck playing an updated CH 2K8 for a long, long time.

# 93 JBH3 @ 02/12/10 12:53 PM
Will 2K College Hoops please stand up!

# 94 bigsmallwood @ 02/12/10 01:00 PM
Quote:
My problem isn't with 2k! My problem is with negative / bias 2k fans, and yeah there has been post, and the mods have been deleting them little by little.

But from some of the post that remain, people's comments are very bias. If I had a beef with 2ksports, I would be spending hundreds of hours updating 2k8.

But some people have come to the conclusion that they can do no wrong. And continue to overlook that Take Two, is killing their sports genre, 1 game at a time. Almost 1 game each year. Minus 2008 where it was 2 games. But can honestly come in here and be glad that EA is canceling this titles. Look at the polls above the forums and look at the good bye and who cares votes.

I mean as a College basketball fan, no one should ever choose that option.

As a sports gamer, they should never choose that answer, it was obviously because of their hatred for Electronic Arts as a whole, not as a development team.

People are so negative and constantly creating the come on EA threads, when no one read into the fact they laid off 1700 + employees and shifted the remaining. Just their own selfish post to make everyone else miserable who are enjoying the game. Just to point out flaws that a lot of others are seeing or experiencing.

I love 2ksports as a company, I love Visual Concepts, because of their talents and level of details they put into anything they lay their hands on. But I'm also mad at all the flaws their games have had over the last 2 seasons. And the outdated gameplay engine they've had since Dreamcast and Original Xbox and PS2.

But I don't make threads every 15 minutes encouraging consumers to run them into the ground, write them a letter, calling out Rob Jones and others.

I blame Take Two, for the lack of financial backing to get the 2k series where it should be, and for canceling a college series at it's greatest year.

Overall, my problem is with negative / bias 2k fans and people who have the nerve to honestly think that EA's decision to cancel this series is a good thing.
Okay, I understand what you are saying now.

*And yes Take-Two has been ruining the 2K brand for a while now.

# 95 JBH3 @ 02/12/10 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whittleboy615
One reason for the "happiness," besides negative EA bias, may be that some people believe their is now more potential for another company to decide to make a better NCAA Basketball game.

What they fail to realize is that this occurrence will actually deter other companies from trying this genre. If EA, a massively successful corporation that has been dominating sports gaming since forever, can't get enough profit out of this exclusive title, then who can?

Our best hope as gamers is that the CLC significantly lowers the price of their license and both EA and 2K find it in their best financial interests to give this genre another try. If that doesn't happen, we will be stuck playing an updated CH 2K8 for a long, long time.
I don't think a company will be detered upon realizing the crappy college experience EA put out in comparison to it's 'competition' prior to exclusivity rights. Basically, any company willing to purchase the exclusive rights should also be committed to designing a functional basketball game that does more than JUST represent NCAA college basketball.

2K's College Hoops was a great title, with depth and many facets of the college hoops world at hand. It seems EA thought they could put a lesser product out and monopolize the genre by purchasing the exclusive rights. When actually the consumer spoke here, did not purchase their game, and EA found that college hoops gamers are not like Madden gamers. College Hoops gamers won't just go out and purchase a title because they "NEED" that sport's title; that's evident of the masses who still play 2K8 college hoops.

I think what we have here is a company realizing their failures and trying to cut losses to allocate more resources to say Madden or a 'like' title.

I guess what happens from here? Does the NCAA revoke the exclusive rights from EA, and allow 2K to step in? Surely they want their product represented in the video game community. I think this is the best occurence us gamers could've gotten regarding college hoops video games.

# 96 whittleboy615 @ 02/12/10 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
I don't think a company will be detered upon realizing the crappy college experience EA put out in comparison to it's 'competition' prior to exclusivity rights. Basically, any company willing to purchase the exclusive rights should also be committed to designing a functional basketball game that does more than JUST represent NCAA college basketball.
The fact that 2K dropped College Hoops because the game didn't earn enough to profit to justify the CLC licensing costs completely ruins your argument. It was a quality game (NCAA 10 was close to achieving their level by the way) that couldn't survive in this environment.

These business failures weren't caused by lazy game designs or poorly planned buyout attempts at a monopoly. They had to do with high CLC costs and a small customer fanbase.

# 97 Epiffani @ 02/12/10 01:39 PM
Quote:

This post is completely ridiculous, and I can't believe people are actually buying and reading into this type of useless rhetoric. It's funny how you ignore the overall overwhelming theme of this thread in favor of calling out "2k fanboys" (by the way, since there are in your words 2k fanboys in this thread, exactly what does that make you with a post like this?); majority of the people in this thread have expressed their disappointment that their won't be an NCAA basketball game being released in 2010, and even if the comments haven't all been positive, or haven't shared the same sentiment, that still doesn't equate to anyone in here being a 2K fanboy.

The fact that there won't be an NCAA basketball game released in 10, is not a good thing for THIS year, but the ramifications of this move is endless. The best case scenario being that the NCAA, and its committees coming to the realization that their asking price for it's license and its likeness is far too high seeing the amount of sales accumulated over the past few years. That way, both EA and 2K can get back into the frey, and start making college basketball games. I will say that this situation in regards to garnering the license doesn't look good for any of the parties involved; 2K sports loses another critically acclaimed series and is reduced to one critically acclaim series (NBA), EA loses a title that's been a staple for over a decade, and NCAA basketball becomes the most notable sport to not have any sort of new representation on a year to year basis. And for that reason, I believe this situation will be resolved one way or another. Its unrealistic to say that there won't ever be another college basketball game ever made because to be frank, there NEEDS to be one (more than one actually).

As for people "bashing" this game, I haven't seen it in this thread, and I'd venture to say that from the threads that I've read in this forum, the criticism has been constructive especially given the circumstances surrounding this game and the series entirely. People that have played this game and have enjoyed doing so have been left to ponder whether they'll be a patch, or rather the series is dead up until now. I haven't had any freezing issues with this game, but put yourself in someone elses shoes that is dealing with this issue (then again if you were having this issue, I'd doubt if you'd let it be known). You now know that there most likely won't be a patch for this game, so now you as a consumer are forced to do exactly what the devs did with this game, and that's abandoned it, regardless if you're enjoying the game.

You're using words like "2k fanboys" and "lamestop", and "bashing" (when the word doesn't applying to this situation), and yet you're calling people "childish"? Hyperbole at its finest.

# 98 JBH3 @ 02/12/10 01:40 PM
Quote:
The fact that 2K dropped College Hoops because the game didn't earn enough to profit to justify the CLC licensing costs completely ruins your argument. It was a quality game (NCAA 10 was close to achieving their level by the way) that couldn't survive in this environment.

These business failures weren't caused by lazy game designs or poorly planned buyout attempts at a monopoly. They had to do with high CLC costs and a small customer fanbase.
-High CLC costs and a small customer diminishing fanbase due to the game's quality.

...my reasoning for 'diminishing' fanbase comes from not being a fan of Live and therefore not trusting EA w/ making a capable basketball game to my liking (much less a capable football game).

# 99 Jukeman @ 02/12/10 01:41 PM
Quote:

Thats because the NCAA up the price on the license, which now results in NO game representing College Basketball...

Maybe the value on the license will drop once EA is done with it???

# 100 whittleboy615 @ 02/12/10 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
-High CLC costs and a small customer diminishing fanbase due to the game's quality.
Go look at some sale numbers from VGChartz. College Hoops games sales combined have never ever been in the same category as NCAA Football. The customer fanbase is smaller by default for sport popularity reasons, not quality.

XBOX 360 Comparison of NCAA Football 08 vs. CH 2K8 vs. MM 08:
Code:
http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=NCAA+Football+08+-+X360[7029]&reg2=All&game2=College+Hoops+2K8+-+X360[12837]&reg3=All&game3=NCAA+March+Madness+08+-+X360[13322]&weeks=100

In fact NCAA Basketball 10's sales suggest that the fanbase has slightly increased over the past few years.

XBOX 360 Comparison of NCAA Basketball 10 to vs. NCAA 09 vs. MM 08:
Code:
http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=NCAA+Basketball+10+-+X360[35688]&reg2=All&game2=NCAA+Basketball+09+-+X360[26767]&reg3=All&game3=NCAA+March+Madness+08+-+X360[13322]&weeks=100
XBOX 360 Comparison of NCAA Basketball 10 vs. CH 2K8 vs. MM 08:
Code:
http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=NCAA+Basketball+10+-+X360[35688]&reg2=All&game2=College+Hoops+2K8+-+X360[12837]&reg3=All&game3=NCAA+March+Madness+08+-+X360[13322]&weeks=100

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.