Athletics---23rd, 17th, 8th, 30th
Tigers-----24th, 14th, 14th, 29th
Padres-----25th, 30th, 18th, 26th
Marlins----26th, 29th, 30th, 21st
Royals-----27th, 15th, 20th, 27th
Nationals--28th, 18th, 26th, 23rd
Pirates----29th, 20th, 27th, 25th
Indians----30th, 25th, 28th, 28th

These are some of my favorite threads every year because we all get to debate on why so and so is rated this and that. It's all arbitrary and opinions when you think about it though (which is why I enjoy these threads so much), but for the sake of understanding I'm game lets dig a little deeper.

The Cardinals batting being ranked 20th in the game, but before I talk about their rating let me shed some light on how the game determines this.

1. It's an avg. of your starters and your bench and that's for your starting pitching and lineup. Kolbe gave me a number around 60% to 40% with your starters making up 60% of that rating.

2. Player ratings are not done by human hands its all done by a program that looks at the players past three years with the most recent year weighing in the highest.

Now that we have that out the way back to the Cardinals and this 20th batting ranking which made me scratch my head a little when I first saw it. As most of you and I'm guilty of this myself I think Pujols and Holliday that has to at least make them better than 20th. Not so fast

The Mets are ranked 15th a good 5 spots ahead of them I've uploaded some images to help make this easier.

Image #1

Image #2

If you notice the Cardinals bench is relatively weak compared to the Mets. This is a very important factor in the Cardinals current 20th batting rating. For the sake of science I swaped F.Tatis for S.Robinson on these two teams and their batting rankings changed. This one player swap propelled the Cardinals to 13th overall in batting and dropped the Mets to 21st in batting. What you have to remember is your starting lineup is only half of the story (about 60% give or take) you have to take into consideration your bench and your bullpen for pitching. Hope this helps.

Discuss.

MLB '10: The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB '10: The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: MLB '10: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 66 - View All
MLB '10: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 JoeCoolMan24 @ 02/18/10 03:15 PM
I am a little surprised the White Sox came in as the #6 best pitching, seems like we should be top 3 or 4. Not a big deal though, they probably underrated Thornton and Danks/Floyd.

# 22 RahKhem @ 02/18/10 03:15 PM
Dang Ramone, y'all killed my Tribe with these ratings LOL!

# 23 Braves Fan @ 02/18/10 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravesBoy
Show me how you figure that?
We've got a ton of question marks, we are relying on older players and injury prone players to have good years.

I think we could be really good, we could definitely live up to our ranking but we also could have a year with a lot of injuries and it not go so good.

I think the best case scenario for us is to win 88-90 games and win the w/card. I'd put us at about 10-12 right now with a chance to improve as the year goes on.

I don't think we are one of the six best teams in baseball, not to start the season.

# 24 SHanna34 @ 02/18/10 03:17 PM
Giants pitching at 13, i thought top five. Batting 16, the addition of Derosa, and Huff jumped them from one of the worst offense in 09 to 16 this year. wow

# 25 TNKNGM @ 02/18/10 03:17 PM
Thanks Russell

Can't wait to check out the demo - praying that it's in todays PSN update

hope that isn't a suspendable offense

# 26 markpmitch @ 02/18/10 03:18 PM
dead last? are you kidding me? like even worse than the nats?

mariners 21st?

# 27 BravesBoy @ 02/18/10 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves Fan
We've got a ton of question marks, we are relying on older players and injury prone players to have good years.

I think we could be really good, we could definitely live up to our ranking but we also could have a year with a lot of injuries and it not go so good.

I think the best case scenario for us is to win 88-90 games and win the w/card. I'd put us at about 10-12 right now with a chance to improve as the year goes on.

I don't think we are one of the six best teams in baseball, not to start the season.
I hear what ya sayin, but our pitching is top 5 in the MLB imo. Thats were we really move up in the rankings. My only question is in our RF spot, i'm pretty confident in Glaus to stay healthy along with the two new guys in the bullpen...

# 28 TN - BRAVES FAN @ 02/18/10 03:18 PM
Ramone, where's the sounds of show blog that was gonna be posted on Wed? Would like to see that before you all put up more stuff....hopefully it will be up tonighht.

# 29 Stroehms @ 02/18/10 03:20 PM
So how exactly are the Rays, Braves, Rockies, Cubs, Rangers, D'Backs, Twins, White Sox, Giants and Blue Jays better than the St. Louis Cardinals?

The Cardinals have two Aces (Carpenter, Wainwright), an MVP caliber hitter not named Pujols (Holliday) and the best hitter in the world (Pujols). Plus good young players in Molina, Rasmus and Schumaker.

Not a deal breaker but jeeze, the NL Central Champions got shafted.

# 30 Braves Fan @ 02/18/10 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravesBoy
I hear what ya sayin, but our pitching is top 5 in the MLB imo. Thats were we really move up in the rankings. My only question is in our RF spot, i'm pretty confident in Glaus to stay healthy along with the two new guys in the bullpen...
The pitching lost Vasquez and that could hurt us. I agree though the pitching is very good, if Lowe bounces back and KK did what he did last year. The top 3 though in Hudson, Jurrjens, and Hanson is special.

I'm just concerned about the offense, I'm hoping Heyward is the stud everyone says he is. We have to get power from somewhere, Chipper isn't going to provide it. He's getting too old, we need it from Heyward and Glaus.

# 31 BravesBoy @ 02/18/10 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek2Jeter
They have pathetic rotation depth, a thin bullpen, and an even thinner lineup. I don't get why people think the Mariners are so great now that they got Figgins and Lee. Yeah they are both great, but two people aren't going to turn a bad team into a good one. They were last in runs scored last year WITh their only serious power threat in Branyan. Now that he's gone, it goes south
Haha, i cant explain it. The way you put it makes me sound completely wrong. But idk, i gotta good fellin about them this year...

# 32 SHanna34 @ 02/18/10 03:23 PM
I am going to play the with the A's (franchise) as always. Pitching at 8 will make it fun along with hitting at 30. Jays and Mariners should swap spots

# 33 TN - BRAVES FAN @ 02/18/10 03:23 PM
Braves fans hogging the boards again...what a shock!

# 34 Braves Fan @ 02/18/10 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN - BRAVES FAN
Braves fans hogging the boards again...what a shock!
It's a shame we can't sell out our games, we have fans everywhere.

# 35 TN - BRAVES FAN @ 02/18/10 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves Fan
It's a shame we can't sell out our games, we have fans everywhere.
I know right? Too bad they're all spread across the South.

# 36 SLVRSLGR. @ 02/18/10 03:28 PM
the ratings are kind of off in my book.. rays are overrated.. giants pitching is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than 13th..

# 37 BravesBoy @ 02/18/10 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSLGR.
the ratings are kind of off in my book.. rays are overrated.. giants pitching is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than 13th..
Agree, and the Mets are 2nd in defense?? There were like top 15 worst in the MLB last year...

# 38 cardsfan2222 @ 02/18/10 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroehms
So how exactly are the Rays, Braves, Rockies, Cubs, Rangers, D'Backs, Twins, White Sox, Giants and Blue Jays better than the St. Louis Cardinals?

The Cardinals have two Aces (Carpenter, Wainwright), an MVP caliber hitter not named Pujols (Holliday) and the best hitter in the world (Pujols). Plus good young players in Molina, Rasmus and Schumaker.

Not a deal breaker but jeeze, the NL Central Champions got shafted.
Completely agree. I think the Cards should easily be top 8, since it's essentially the same team that won 92 games last year. There is no way the Blue Jays or Braves did enough to be ranked higher than the Cards. It's not a big deal, just surprising to see a team favored to win the NL Central put in the bottom half of the rankings.

# 39 Braves Fan @ 02/18/10 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metsman8669
You need another bat, IMO. Unless someone really steps up. Chipper is a stud but he's almost a lock to miss 20+ games and Glaus hasn't played since 2008.

In all honesty, the Braves just don't seem to have enough pop.
Well this is the team we've got, unless Damon signs with us that is and he's not going to bring a lot of power with him.

We just have to hope Glaus gets back to being the 35 homerun guy he was in the past and Heyward is a stud from day one. We have to hope McLouth is the player he was a couple of years ago. We have to hope Chipper stays healthy.

Like I said we have a lot of what if's, it stinks but it is what it is.

# 40 dynastynation @ 02/18/10 03:38 PM
Please tell me Matt Holliday was not yet on the Cardinals roster...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.