Athletics---23rd, 17th, 8th, 30th
Tigers-----24th, 14th, 14th, 29th
Padres-----25th, 30th, 18th, 26th
Marlins----26th, 29th, 30th, 21st
Royals-----27th, 15th, 20th, 27th
Nationals--28th, 18th, 26th, 23rd
Pirates----29th, 20th, 27th, 25th
Indians----30th, 25th, 28th, 28th

These are some of my favorite threads every year because we all get to debate on why so and so is rated this and that. It's all arbitrary and opinions when you think about it though (which is why I enjoy these threads so much), but for the sake of understanding I'm game lets dig a little deeper.

The Cardinals batting being ranked 20th in the game, but before I talk about their rating let me shed some light on how the game determines this.

1. It's an avg. of your starters and your bench and that's for your starting pitching and lineup. Kolbe gave me a number around 60% to 40% with your starters making up 60% of that rating.

2. Player ratings are not done by human hands its all done by a program that looks at the players past three years with the most recent year weighing in the highest.

Now that we have that out the way back to the Cardinals and this 20th batting ranking which made me scratch my head a little when I first saw it. As most of you and I'm guilty of this myself I think Pujols and Holliday that has to at least make them better than 20th. Not so fast

The Mets are ranked 15th a good 5 spots ahead of them I've uploaded some images to help make this easier.

Image #1

Image #2

If you notice the Cardinals bench is relatively weak compared to the Mets. This is a very important factor in the Cardinals current 20th batting rating. For the sake of science I swaped F.Tatis for S.Robinson on these two teams and their batting rankings changed. This one player swap propelled the Cardinals to 13th overall in batting and dropped the Mets to 21st in batting. What you have to remember is your starting lineup is only half of the story (about 60% give or take) you have to take into consideration your bench and your bullpen for pitching. Hope this helps.

Discuss.

MLB '10: The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB '10: The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: MLB '10: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 66 - View All
MLB '10: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 121 soxnut1018 @ 02/18/10 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by omfgitsgod!
and you do a ****ty job of it
Oh well at least I tried.

# 122 slinger45 @ 02/18/10 09:37 PM
Russell maybe you can answer this, I understand that the ratings are based on computer program, but what about for things that dont necessarily have data to support them?

Ex. Speed?

Also for pitcher do you use a company like Inside Edge that has data for their pitches?

Thanks.

# 123 Knight165 @ 02/18/10 09:40 PM

Hey Russ....next year....why don't you just throw in a 55 gallon drum of C4 explosive in here and raffle off the detonator?!!!!
It might be the only thing more fun than coming home from work and reading this thread!!!

M.K.
Knight165

# 124 EnigmaNemesis @ 02/18/10 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165

Hey Russ....next year....why don't you just throw in a 55 gallon drum of C4 explosive in here and raffle off the detonator?!!!!
It might be the only thing more fun than coming home from work and reading this thread!!!

M.K.
Knight165

# 125 mgoblue678 @ 02/18/10 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJAfan6
Im a little depressed my buccos are behind the royals???!!!
I really don't see why the wouldn't be. The Royals have started to put some nice pieces together. Not to mention Greinke as an ace is significantly better than anything the Pirates have.

# 126 ParisB @ 02/18/10 09:51 PM
lol, I love threads like this. Funny how everyone overrates their team so badly.

The rankings looks perfectly fine overall. You guys complain about the same things every year yet it's always the same teams that make the playoffs.

NY, Boston, Angels, Twins is spot on for the top AL teams.

Mariners? Give me a break guys. That lineup is pathetic and their depth is laughable beyond their 1-2 pitchers.

21st looks spot on.

# 127 ParisB @ 02/18/10 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBond007
Not sure if the Blue Jays are 15th, Im not arguing...because I think they will have at least 70 wins or better in the toughest division period. Put most of those other teams..any of them really in the AL East and you'll see how good your team is...theyre not. In general the AL is better than the NL and its hard to handicap the teams in the east..those other teams dont face the yankees and the red sox and blah blah blah all year long...I like the ratings
LOL

The AL West had a better head to head match-up against the East over the last several years. The Angels have a higher winning percentage against the East than those teams do against the West.

Got to love the east coast bias though.

# 128 Kazaki @ 02/18/10 10:00 PM
The Marlins 26th? What? The Marlins have been competitive for TWO YEARS now, trading 1st/2nd place in a bloody hard division, missing the playoffs last year by six games. They've had two straight winning seasons and have been competitive in both of them, and they get no credit because everybody is bloody homegrown.

# 129 TN - BRAVES FAN @ 02/18/10 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazaki
The Marlins 26th? What? The Marlins have been competitive for TWO YEARS now, trading 1st/2nd place in a bloody hard division, missing the playoffs last year by six games. They've had two straight winning seasons and have been competitive in both of them, and they get no credit because everybody is bloody homegrown.
NL East a hard division? You been on this too much-->

# 130 douggoud @ 02/18/10 10:08 PM
i have one question, how in the world is the dodgers pitching staff better than the angels? i really dont get that, we have 5 starters that could win over 13 games or more in a year, the dodgers only have 2 or 3, the angels have 3 guys that could be all-star closers (scot shields is the best setup-man in the game, so i dont see why he couldnt be a great closer) plus, we got 2 closers, so do the dodgers in sherrell and broxton, but who else do they have? i mean, really, the batting i could understand them being better in, (which they arent suprisingly) but the pitching, no, i really dont see it, i really dont

and someone please explain to me how the rays are better overall than the angels as well, theres something wrong with these ratings, cant wait to tweak them to my likings when i get my hands on this game

# 131 ParisB @ 02/18/10 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazaki
C'mon man, back to what I said earlier how everybody overrates their team and doesn't look at reality.

The NL East is not a bloody tough division first of all (lol). They might be the second to worst division with only the NL Central being weaker.

All the advanced statistics show the Marlins as being a .500 team.

# 132 bloynoys @ 02/18/10 10:15 PM
I dont get the rockies 24th in fielding? Helton, Barmes, Tulo, Stewart is one of the top 5 infields. And Gonzo and Fowler are good fielders, and Hawpe is average in right. Two years ago they set the all time major league record for fielding percentage.

# 133 Snowman1025 @ 02/18/10 10:23 PM
The Mariners should be first in defense by a mile. (Assuming the "fielding" rating takes into account range.)

# 134 silencio @ 02/18/10 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by douggoud
i have one question, how in the world is the dodgers pitching staff better than the angels? i really dont get that, we have 5 starters that could win over 13 games or more in a year, the dodgers only have 2 or 3, the angels have 3 guys that could be all-star closers (scot shields is the best setup-man in the game, so i dont see why he couldnt be a great closer) plus, we got 2 closers, so do the dodgers in sherrell and broxton, but who else do they have? i mean, really, the batting i could understand them being better in, (which they arent suprisingly) but the pitching, no, i really dont see it, i really dont

and someone please explain to me how the rays are better overall than the angels as well, theres something wrong with these ratings, cant wait to tweak them to my likings when i get my hands on this game
Shields is not the best set up man.. typical Angels fan btw.. Dodgers have the one of the top 2 bullpens, and the Angels lost their best starter.. Rotations are close but LA's bullpen is above and beyond the Helos.. Ratings are perfect..

# 135 EnigmaNemesis @ 02/18/10 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman1025
The Mariners should be first in defense by a mile. (Assuming the "fielding" rating takes into account range.)
Um no.

Saber Metrics systems takes it into account, and they are not first, especially losing the best defensive third baseman in the game to Boston. Which the metrics systems have ranked first with this years projections.

# 136 ParisB @ 02/18/10 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloynoys
I dont get the rockies 24th in fielding? Helton, Barmes, Tulo, Stewart is one of the top 5 infields. And Gonzo and Fowler are good fielders, and Hawpe is average in right. Two years ago they set the all time major league record for fielding percentage.

I'm sure they're fine defensively. But you guys forget there are 29 other teams that also have fine defenses and a lot of them can be better.

Being 24th doesn't mean the end of the world. Not a lot separates the 5-20 teams.

# 137 mellamoaaron @ 02/18/10 10:33 PM
I'm a Mets fan, and even I think the Marlins got royally screwed. Not that our division is that great, but that's a damn joke. I even have the Marlins finishing above us, due to how horrid our starting pitching is, sans Johan.

# 138 huggerorange73 @ 02/18/10 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut1018
Thornton's better.
This is a fact

# 139 douggoud @ 02/18/10 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silencio
Shields is not the best set up man.. typical Angels fan btw.. Dodgers have the one of the top 2 bullpens, and the Angels lost their best starter.. Rotations are close but LA's bullpen is above and beyond the Helos.. Ratings are perfect..
really? seeing as other than 09, he's led the majors in holds the last 3 or 4 years, doesnt make him one of the best? yeah, i totally see that, even if the angels lost their best starter, they picked up pinero, who had 14 wins last year i believe, and playing for a team that is good with its defence, being a ground ball pitcher, can improve that total (not so sure about wood, but eybar is a future gold glover IMO, andizturis isnt bad either, and howie is above average to average, and kendry is a great first baseman, made losing tex sting alot less) rotations are not close, the angels exceed the dodgers by far, as well does their bullpen, hell, the dodgers dont even know who the hell their 5th starter is for 2010, other than sherrell and broxten, who do you guys have? gillermo mota is gone, all you guys have is kuo, sherill (a good pitcher that should be a closer on another team, not a setup man for the dodgers), and broxton, the angels have shields, rodney (a proven closer) fuentes (given the amount of blown saves, he's just like franky, but he gets the job done), and jepsen, shields IMO is better than kuo or sherrill, maybe even broxton, the only reason broxton is good is because of his fastball (same for jepsen) shields has his 2-seamer, 93 4-seamer, and a nasty change-up, and so does rodney, shure i'm more on one side, but you know what, any way you look at it, were have the dodgers setup men been in terms of holds the last few years? besides, ratings are overrated

also, broxten blew 6 saves last year, and fuentes blew 7, fuentes got 48, broxten got 36, so if you wanna compare them, go ahead,

lastly, i'm not trying to turn this into some sort of fight or flame war, i'm mad at the ratings (and the fact that you insult my opinion)

# 140 skynyrdchief @ 02/18/10 10:51 PM
Omfg cards rating are a joke, they have 2 cy youngesqe pitchers and a lineup with The Machine, Holliday, Luddy and are 16th! Ridiculous , Doesnt really matter I will play with them exclusively and beat the crap out of the cubs everyday because it brings me joy lol.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.