Home
Backbreaker News Post

Gamespot has posted video developer diary #2 from Backbreaker. This one covering Euphoria.

Quote:
"The developers go in-depth into their Eurphoria engine to show off the amazing things it does in Backbreaker."

Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 61 PantherBeast_OS @ 02/20/10 11:58 AM
Well overall I am impresses with the graphics and all. But we need to see the full game in action. I will put down a 5 down on it at gamestop and reserve it for now. But 505 needs to give us full gameplay before it is released. Them not giving us much full gameplay videos with 3 months left is making me question what they are hiding from us. But the graphics are great looking. But I am sure if this game drops and a ton of madden fans enjoy it. Then it might get EA thanking about changing up their engine for 2011 and beyond. That are EA will to buy out 505 like they did 2k sports football. But it is a wait and see game right now. But even if I get this game I will still get madden 11 not matter what this game is like. I will stick with madden no matter what.

# 62 spankdatazz22 @ 02/20/10 12:21 PM
That was pretty damn impressive.

And even moreso when considering this is a 1st year effort, and the HUGE disadvantage of lacking NFL licensing. The behaviors systems in place with players reacting realistically in realtime to situations was amazing (liked seeing the ball carrier naturally stretch for the endzone). As others have noted many of the interaction issues of Madden seem to naturally disappear because they don't have to be programmed around as Tiburon has to. Primary dislikes are not enough differentiation w/the players on the field (looks like there are maybe 2-3 body types at best, all big), and the upright running styles (a little too upright). But considering this is a first year effort they seem to have gotten a lot right. If the game had NFL licensing it'd be an instant million-seller, easily imo. They still have an uphill battle imo, but they are definitely on the radar which is saying a lot. And they have a couple more months of dev time. Kudos to their team.

Reminds me a little of the first time I saw NFL2K on the Dreamcast. It was playing on a standard def tv in a Software Etc. (I think) window. Models were big/bulky, but it was so different to what we had gotten used to with PS1 pixelated football games. Animated/moved smoothly and was mesmerizing to watch. Kinda cool getting a bit of that feeling watching this video.

# 63 OSUFan_88 @ 02/20/10 12:32 PM
While it still looks arcadish to me, I think this went from a maybe buy to must buy.

I'm VERY excited about the animations in this game. They look amazing.

# 64 SageInfinite @ 02/20/10 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
That was pretty damn impressive.

And even moreso when considering this is a 1st year effort, and the HUGE disadvantage of lacking NFL licensing. The behaviors systems in place with players reacting realistically in realtime to situations was amazing (liked seeing the ball carrier naturally stretch for the endzone). As others have noted many of the interaction issues of Madden seem to naturally disappear because they don't have to be programmed around as Tiburon has to. Primary dislikes are not enough differentiation w/the players on the field (looks like there are maybe 2-3 body types at best, all big), and the upright running styles (a little too upright). But considering this is a first year effort they seem to have gotten a lot right. If the game had NFL licensing it'd be an instant million-seller, easily imo. They still have an uphill battle imo, but they are definitely on the radar which is saying a lot. And they have a couple more months of dev time. Kudos to their team.

Reminds me a little of the first time I saw NFL2K on the Dreamcast. It was playing on a standard def tv in a Software Etc. (I think) window. Models were big/bulky, but it was so different to what we had gotten used to with PS1 pixelated football games. Animated/moved smoothly and was mesmerizing to watch. Kinda cool getting a bit of that feeling watching this video.

# 65 turftickler @ 02/20/10 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherbeast
Well overall I am impresses with the graphics and all. But we need to see the full game in action. I will put down a 5 down on it at gamestop and reserve it for now. But 505 needs to give us full gameplay before it is released. Them not giving us much full gameplay videos with 3 months left is making me question what they are hiding from us. But the graphics are great looking. But I am sure if this game drops and a ton of madden fans enjoy it. Then it might get EA thanking about changing up their engine for 2011 and beyond. That are EA will to buy out 505 like they did 2k sports football. But it is a wait and see game right now. But even if I get this game I will still get madden 11 not matter what this game is like. I will stick with madden no matter what.
I respect your honesty here, but I don't think you fully understand how this all works. NaturalMotion, nor the Euphoria Engine or any of NM's other technology's be sold to EA Sports. In no way are they (NM) competing with the EA Sports' Madden NFL series. Backbreaker is another option and a completely different experience from games with canned animation. I'm sure that the diehard Madden NFL fans will still buy Madden NFL 11, but after they play Backbreaker, they will be thinking twice, maybe thrice.

If you choose to stay away from Backbreaker because it is not the NFL or whatever your reasons are, then you will be depriving yourself of what could possibly be the greatest football game since ESPN NFL 2k5 and APF 2k8. Obviously, it's up to you, but I sincerely hope you give it a shot.

# 66 mgoblue678 @ 02/20/10 03:10 PM
Just in case people aren't aware since these two things seem to be a sticking point for some people. The devs have stated there will a multiple season franchise like mode with off season activities and they also made a statement that the game would be highly customizable in terms of the logos, uniforms and rosters. That sure seems like they are hinting at the game being fully customizable, which I hope is the case since it would make it possible for people who have to have NFL teams to create them.

# 67 mvb34 @ 02/20/10 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678
Just in case people aren't aware since these two things seem to be a sticking point for some people. The devs have stated there will a multiple eason franchise like mode with offseason activities and they also made a statement that the game would be highly customizable in terms of the logos, uniforms and rosters. That sure seems like they are hinting at the game being fully customizable, which I hope is the case since it would make it possible for people who have to have NFL teams to create them.

Do how the playbooks going to look? Will there be customization?

# 68 mgoblue678 @ 02/20/10 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
Do how the playbooks going to look? Will there be customization?
As far as the playbooks nothing has really been released yet and that is one of the things I want to know as well. s As far as customization, not to be rude but did you not read the second part of my post above. The only thing I can add to that is that someone stated the logo editor/creator would be pretty robust similar to the design tools in a game like Forza 2.

# 69 LionsFanNJ @ 02/20/10 03:27 PM
Again, looks nice and all, but i want more concrete feature and gameplay info before any decision gets made. Some guys are jumping the gun on this IMO

# 70 mgoblue678 @ 02/20/10 03:41 PM
I don't think anybody is jumping the gun. I think some people are missing the point of why people are so excited about this game. Even if the overall game doesn't turn out to be great that doesn't change the fact that the Euphoria engine or something similar is something that is revolutionary in sports gaming and is probably the future of sports gaming, that is the main reason people are so excited about this game. Unless somebody honestly believes canned animations are going to allow sports games and football games specifically to get to the next level.

I am still unsure about certain aspects of the game as well, such as how good will the playbooks or how intelligent will the CPU AI be, but that doesn't mean I am not excited about this game.

Also I think would like to point out there were three things in this video that we have never seen in a football game before. The rb reaching out with one arm while being tackled to get the td, the true gang tackling and there was actually a part of the video that was hard to catch where a d-linemen was on his knees and the o-linemen was still realistically blocking him.

# 71 turftickler @ 02/20/10 03:50 PM
Quote:
I don't think anybody is jumping the gun, I think some people are missing the point. Even if the overall game doesn't turn out to be great that doesn't change the fact that the Euphoria engine or something similar is something that is revolutionary in sports gaming and is probably the future of sports gaming, that is the main reason people are so excited about this game. Unless somebody honestly believes canned animations are going to allow sports games and football games specifically to get to the next level.

I am still unsure about certain aspects of the game as well, such as how good will the playbooks or how intelligent will the CPU AI be, but that doesn't mean I am not excited about this game.

Also I think would like to point out there were three things in this video that we have never seen in a football game before. The rb reaching out with one arm while being tackled to get the td, the true gang tackling and there was actually a part of the video that was hard to catch where a d-linemen was on his knees and the o-linemen was still realistically blocking him.
Way to keep a level head here, bro. I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. As a programmer, I would never had thought it possible to do what NaturalMotion has done thus far. With that being said, I feel that it is safe to say that the rest of the game will be just as impressive. Some things may not be to our liking as each one of us has a different opinion about video games, but for the most part, Backbreaker looks to be solid and have all the aspects of "Real Football" down. If EA Sports goes down the road of working with NM to implement all of their technology into the Madden NFL series for Madden NFL 12, then thay can say "It's In the Game!" and I will actually be able to say that it finally is.

# 72 LionsFanNJ @ 02/20/10 04:12 PM
Quote:
I don't think anybody is jumping the gun, I think some people are missing the point. Even if the overall game doesn't turn out to be great that doesn't change the fact that the Euphoria engine or something similar is something that is revolutionary in sports gaming and is probably the future of sports gaming, that is the main reason people are so excited about this game. Unless somebody honestly believes canned animations are going to allow sports games and football games specifically to get to the next level.

What i'm trying to say is since Maddens quality hasn't been that great, it somewhat artificially increases the hype for this more than if Madden was an A+ title like The Show or a good quality games like the ones modeled after the NBA.

Then again, i wonder how much true hype around this game really is in general. So its all relative i suppose.

# 73 turftickler @ 02/20/10 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Bowler
What scares me about this game being anywhere close to good is that EA will just buy the tech and sit on it. Just like big oil companies who buy out alternate fuel and energy ideas.

I think the whole idea behind this game is to show what Euphoria can do so they can sell it. I hope i'm wrong, but this might be the last we see of Euphoria for atleast a couple years because it would require EA or 2K to re-write their whole game practically if this tech proves to have a future in sports gaming.

Anyhow, enough with the conspiracy stuff. The game does look to be coming along nicely. Football is a game of contact first and foremost and if the AI is just half decent it would still be light years ahead of Madden imo. If by chance it has a play editor it will be a day one purchase for me regardless.
Rest easy bro. EA can't just take Euphoria Motion and plop it down into their Madden NFL games. NaturalMotion would have to help them implement it into Madden football games. It is not and game engine. EA won't be able to buy up NaturalMotion either. They (NM) have already stated that they are not for sale.

Pre-order at Wal-Mart for $44.99 and you will get yourself a $5 discount instead of paying $49.99 for it.

# 74 mgoblue678 @ 02/20/10 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFanNJ
What i'm trying to say is since Maddens quality hasn't been that great, it somewhat artificially increases the hype for this more than if Madden was an A+ title like The Show or a good quality games like the ones modeled after the NBA.

Then again, i wonder how much true hype around this game really is in general. So its all relative i suppose.
I do agree that some of people are more excited about this game because of Madden's quality lacking but at least for me even if Madden or NCAA were great titles I still would be excited for this game. I just think canned animations in sports games at least in those involving a lot of contact represent a ceiling that is limiting what can be done. The Euphoria engine may be what breaks through that ceiling.

# 75 turftickler @ 02/20/10 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Bowler
I know EA can't just plop it into their game. That's why i'm saying there is a good chance that EA would buy it and sit on it for who knows how long till they could build a game that works with Euphoria.

I was under the impression that since this game started out as a tech demo that they were looking to sell the technology. I'm pretty sure i read that somewhere that this tech at one time was up for sale. I can't remember who wrote that or how credible that info was though.
I had the same concerns, but I was told by one of the Dev Team members personally, that the technology can't be sold, but only implemented. EA can't buy up anything there bro. You will be able to play lots of games with this tech in it for years to come.

Have you watched the videos thread that I created a few days ago? If not, go check it out and druel as I did. LOL.

# 76 turftickler @ 02/20/10 04:31 PM
Quote:
I do agree that some of people are more excited about this game because of Madden's quality lacking but at least for me even if Madden or NCAA were great titles I still would be excited for this game. I just think canned animations in sports games at least in those involving a lot of contact represent a ceiling that is limiting what can be done. The Euphoria engine may be what breaks through that ceiling.
For sure. Euphoria Motion is the foundation of next-gen sports gaming. Also, Euphoria is not the only physics based tech out there, but nothing has come close to what it has to offer, yet. However, I do believe that we have only seen what the future holds, more great physics based games.

# 77 Hova57 @ 02/20/10 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turftickler
I had the same concerns, but I was told by one of the Dev Team members personally, that the technology can't be sold, but only implemented. EA can't buy up anything there bro. You will be able to play lots of games with this tech in it for years to come.

Have you watched the videos thread that I created a few days ago? If not, go check it out and druel as I did. LOL.
yea they just set up a new studio , so any of ea games wanting this tech, is going to travel to uk in order to get it into the game. i have a feeling the whole package is going to knock the socks off people just from visuals,sound and how it plays.
i think once we know more about ai ,controls and playbooks alot of people will be happy. this is what everyone has been crying out for since 2k stop making football games. we just have to be patient and chill. my big question is what does the EA development team think of their current product and what they gonna do? unlike EA they have had time to get things right and had the opportunity to push it back. Madden may be better off to push back til end of August.

# 78 Hova57 @ 02/20/10 04:35 PM
Quote:
For sure. Euphoria Motion is the foundation of next-gen sports gaming. Also, Euphoria is not the only physics based tech out there, but nothing has come close to what it has to offer, yet. However, I do believe that we have only seen what the future holds, more great physics based games.
what separates Euphoria for other physics engines and middleware out there is the ability for it to make decisions based on weight and other stats relative to the ball carrier and making it look life like.

# 79 turftickler @ 02/20/10 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
yea they just set up a new studio , so any of ea games wanting this tech, is going to travel to uk in order to get it into the game. i have a feeling the whole package is going to knock the socks off people just from visuals,sound and how it plays.
i think once we know more about ai ,controls and playbooks alot of people will be happy. this is what everyone has been crying out for since 2k stop making football games. we just have to be patient and chill. my big question is what does the EA development team think of their current product and what they gonna do? unlike EA they have had time to get things right and had the opportunity to push it back. Madden may be better off to push back til end of August.
There is an office in California as well, but that doesn't worry me.

I'm not being smirk here, but EA might want to push it back til August 2012 if they want to build a solid football game. I see no problem with that at all. I love watching the NFL and I would love to play a good NFL game.

# 80 Hova57 @ 02/20/10 04:41 PM
Quote:
There is an office in California as well, but that doesn't worry me.

I'm not being smirk here, but EA might want to push it back til August 2012 if they want to build a solid football game. I see no problem with that at all. I love watching the NFL and I would love to play a good NFL game.
that's the green office huh. i kept reading about that but i thought it was in uk. they way i see there is more than enough room. i love madden always will,but its nice to see something new. as far as pushing back till 2012 if it were possible they should. i think alot of stuff is so deadline determined that the end of the day they have to be happy with what they have. plus too. Ian crew had to fix alot of junk messed up from previous games. it like buying a house , you like , you see potential , but you gotta put a lot of work into till your happy with and that usually last longer than a year

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.