Home
MLB 2K10 News Post

The Major League Baseball 2K10 demo is now available for 360 users. Please post your impressions here.

Major League Baseball 2K10 screenshot gallery - Click to view Major League Baseball 2K10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Major League Baseball 2K10Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 33 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 501 DaveDQ @ 02/27/10 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
Do we have a definitive answer as to whether or not the LS has a function in hitting?

In the 2nd round of questions to the developers (post demo) a couple of issues with hitting were brought up and he never mentioned the LS. The type of hit is dependent on the type of swing and location of the pitch.

I always thought the LS was influential in determining the direction of the hit and the type of swing.
There's a screen shot here on OS that Steve put up that shows the controller layout as the Left stick being used to aim your hitting.

Here's the image...

# 502 nemesis04 @ 02/27/10 02:45 PM
The LS influence appears to work as designed in trying to produce a certain type of hit or get the ball to a certain side of the field etc. Sometimes I feel it has too much weight by taking precedence over pitch type, location and timing in determining the type of hit. Imo pitch type, location and timing should have the most weight in determining the hit. If by chance your influence coincides with the 3 your desired result would occur.

# 503 MizzouRah @ 02/27/10 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I agree. And I still like your calibrations too for my V5100, did you DL the new firmware yet? And I agree about the frame rate too. As long as the game is running smooth. I still have some problems with the animation and I not digging the hitting this year, but it is better than last year.
I love the hitting.. although the R stick is really touchy.

# 504 DJ @ 02/27/10 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Sweet that is all matters. I am just liking only timing hitting.
It may just be my imagination but when I used the Classic style for hitting, I see a greater variety of hits than when I use the R-stick. I like both setups, though.

# 505 StatMan79 @ 02/27/10 06:43 PM
It was nice to see a walk-off celebration after winning with a Swisher home run in the third inning of a game.

I enjoyed the demo, it was nice to see some things squared around finally.

# 506 AustinOrgans @ 02/27/10 07:54 PM
HAS ANYONE ELSE SEEN THIS???

I was playing the demo as the Phillies, I hit a grounder to short and Jeter went to play the ball to his right. The camera suddenly went behind Jeter's throwing shoulder as he gathered and threw, and then the camera switched over to Texeira at first and showed the bang-bang play in slow motion. It was sooo cool! But it's only happened once. I'm hoping it happens not all the time but occasionally in the final product.

# 507 nemesis04 @ 02/27/10 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinOrgans

I was playing the demo as the Phillies, I hit a grounder to short and Jeter went to play the ball to his right. The camera suddenly went behind Jeter's throwing shoulder as he gathered and threw, and then the camera switched over to Texeira at first and showed the bang-bang play in slow motion. It was sooo cool! But it's only happened once. I'm hoping it happens not all the time but occasionally in the final product.
I have seen it a couple times, pretty cool.

# 508 JoeDog10 @ 02/27/10 08:19 PM
This game is definitely an improvement over 2K10 - especially when it comes to presentation. Much like NBA, it's top notch and extremely impressive. I really like where 2K is going with it.

That being said, I'm surprised that so many people are high on this demo. Maybe it's because everyone is dying to play a baseball game and it's the only demo out right now, or maybe it's because this game was so bad last year and seems to be making some positive strides this year. But to me, I just can't get past these things:

1) Fastballs have arc to them. It's ridiculous. As minor of a detail as it might sound, that's an absolute game killer for me.

2) No check swings. Do you know how often check swings happen in real life? To not be able to do this in a video game in the year 2010 is brutal.

3) The rocket arms in the infield are still there, and the game speed just doesn't feel right.

Those gripes might be minor to some, but they completely ruin the game experience for me. I really like that 2K is making strides in the right direction. But I'm not quite drinking the Kool-Aid yet.

# 509 DJ @ 02/27/10 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinOrgans

Man, that sounds awesome. Like you said, I hope it's not overdone but in certain situations, it would add a real nice touch to the game.

# 510 phillyfan23 @ 02/28/10 12:12 AM
I really like the demo I think pitching experience is awesome and for the first time in 2k games I can actually walk people when trying really hard to throw accurate pitches. This is with good gestures too I dig that a lot. The feel of the game is very good and very smooth. Cpu takes a good realistic amount of pitches much better than 2k9

Fielders move too fast but that can be fixed via sliders

Fielders throw too hard but that can be fixed via ratings

But the hit variety to me isn't as good as it should be. I can hit doubles fine but rarely line drive gappers

The lack of zone hitting is a big deal for me and if this game had it would be an instant buy for me. With the proper sliders and roster edits this can feel like a good sim and that's a big step forward. Zone hitting for next year pretty please

# 511 Blzer @ 02/28/10 12:30 AM
I'm more disappointed that we can't hide the pitching cursor. You'd think that this is one of the primary reasons we have pinpoint accuracy... mostly because we can see where we're pitching!

This has been an issue since 2K6, and they still don't have a hiding pitching cursor option. Embarrassing.

# 512 HK-47 @ 02/28/10 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDog10
No check swings. Do you know how often check swings happen in real life? To not be able to do this in a video game in the year 2010 is brutal.
Check swings will be added in a patch. I think on release day.

# 513 nld230 @ 02/28/10 01:23 AM
Returning to the LS function question, I just played a game trying to figure this out.

I tried hitting inside pitches to the opposite field using the left stick, and got nothing. I didn't see any WEAKER hits from using it. The influence wasn't obvious, if there was any.

I tried using a power swing and down on the LS to hit a sharp grounder: fly ball to center field. Again, influence not present or noticeable.

The only time I thought there MIGHT be: With Tex I attempted to go opposite field with a contact swing, and he sharply plugged the right center field gap. Could be a coincidence, though.

Up on the LS seems to produce fly balls, so sacrifice flies....

Honestly, I'm hoping that it's a misprint in the controller layout. I like the game's hitting interface based on timing.

# 514 AustinOrgans @ 02/28/10 01:18 PM
I really like the ball-to-bat physics. Yesterday I had a big hit with A-Rod that was visibly tailing to the right, it curved just outside the foul pole. So cool.

Q: Anybody know how to call off fielders?

Current Dislikes:
1. Trajectory on fastballs. They look like freakin' lobs! Especially when thrown low in the zone, they drop like sinkers.

2. No variable strike zones or questionable calls by ump. If you miss the zone by a hair, it's called a ball. The AI batters are also too good at laying off these borderline pitches.

3. (And this one I'd like you guys to experiment with and tell me what you find) I'm finding the fastball down the middle to be a very effective out pitch against the CPU. I'm striking guys out left and right with fastballs down the middle!

# 515 WTF @ 02/28/10 01:20 PM
To each their own, but I'm not having a problem with the second or third dislikes on your list. I get guys looking on the corners, swinging on a ball for the K, and I don't dare leave a meatball out... I can sneak them by occasionally, but I don't try it often.

# 516 Tomba @ 02/28/10 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I'm more disappointed that we can't hide the pitching cursor. You'd think that this is one of the primary reasons we have pinpoint accuracy... mostly because we can see where we're pitching!

This has been an issue since 2K6, and they still don't have a hiding pitching cursor option. Embarrassing.
I'm with you...One the main problems i always see is 'clean-up' By that i mean 2k ALWAYS has old code in their games dating all the way back to ps2 days etc...

The cursor should be a option to have on and off. it's next gen for goodness sake right? Either way though i will say that the cursor looks better this year then last years yellow debacle

# 517 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 02/28/10 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
To each their own, but I'm not having a problem with the second or third dislikes on your list. I get guys looking on the corners, swinging on a ball for the K, and I don't dare leave a meatball out... I can sneak them by occasionally, but I don't try it often.
Yeah, I prefer to just pitch where the catcher calls for it every time.

And regarding the variable strike zone that the person above mentioned, I was thinking that it is probably not in the demo, but hopefully it's in the full version and they just didn't want to take up any space by including that.

# 518 jimdoggy32 @ 02/28/10 03:37 PM
I must say that I have been very impressed with the so called pitcher/ hitter battles. I have been able to work the count very well. Many of the pitch counts I have seen in the demo have been in the 25, 30 range depending on my patience. Balls to strike ratio has been decent. You can also see a difference in these ratios during different situations such as guys on base and depending on those guys speed. Very nice. I am also getting very use to the new swing stick. I don't use the defensive swing too much right now, but have had some success with it fighting off pitches. Like others I see some really fast throwing speeds in the field, but have still had decent plays take place with guys beating out throws. Can't wait til Tuesday.

# 519 CubsFan96 @ 02/28/10 05:07 PM
From the demo it really made me feel like i was playing a super mario baseball game... it just looked stupid and the controls were just not for me. All in all its an okay game if its the only baseball game you can find in your house.

# 520 nld230 @ 02/28/10 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFelix
What I found was if I left fastballs right over the heart of the plate, they were crushed, either a HR or a line drive in the gap.

So I'm not having that problem.

With max effort? Good gestures on fastballs in the middle of the plate, imo, aren't hit hard enough and sometimes not at all.

Anyone else having this problem, btw.... I recently switched my xbox to a larger TV. While I don't think that the larger screen has anything to do with it, my swing stick seems to lag. It seems like there is a half second delay (a little less) when I push to swing and when the player actually swings. Weird.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.