Home
MLB 10 News Post

The Show Community has posted the top 5 shortstops in MLB '10: The Show.

Game: MLB '10: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 66 - View All
MLB '10: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 BatsareBugs @ 02/23/10 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by etched Chaos
Missing 122 games in your previous season should always knock your durability a fair bit.
Wrong.

Durability = # of games a player is capable of starting/playing in a season.

So you're telling me after 4 seasons of 155+ games and then one season where he plays only 40, he's no longer capable of playing 150 games anymore? Dude.... That's what the rating is about.

---

Also, for those wondering why Hanley isn't #1... Hanley Ramirez and Jose Reyes have the same overall rating. Just like last year when people were drawing up a *****storm over Adrian being "rated" higher that Albert Pujols because they had the same overall. Base it on overall, not the number they appear in order because it takes name into consideration when they're even.

# 22 Greenevol @ 02/23/10 05:26 PM
Going to sound like a homer here, but how the heck is Yunel Escobar not in the top 9?

He's solid on D, probably has the best arm in baseball for a shortstop. Hits close to .300, 20 HR power.

What else does he need to do?

# 23 Reaman @ 02/23/10 05:48 PM
Thanks for posting!

# 24 antifanboy @ 02/23/10 05:59 PM
Speed and defense are the two most exciting attributes of a shortstop to me

this is a great, accurate list

# 25 tessl @ 02/23/10 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag3vsW0rld
Wrong.

Durability = # of games a player is capable of starting/playing in a season.

So you're telling me after 4 seasons of 155+ games and then one season where he plays only 40, he's no longer capable of playing 150 games anymore? Dude.... That's what the rating is about.
That's not what SCEA says about player ratings. They are supposedly based on the last three years with the most recent year having the most influence. That's why Zobrist is rated so high at 2b after only one good year. Reyes' durability and other stats should have taken a hit based on that standard.

# 26 EnigmaNemesis @ 02/23/10 06:51 PM
Seeing Reyes fielding UZR is far better than Jeter and Hanley the past three years, this seems about right.

Just as with second base, there are far more factors at these two positions other than hitting, and fielding being key.

# 27 BatsareBugs @ 02/23/10 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl
That's not what SCEA says about player ratings. They are supposedly based on the last three years with the most recent year having the most influence. That's why Zobrist is rated so high at 2b after only one good year. Reyes' durability and other stats should have taken a hit based on that standard.
Well, I don't speak for SCEA, but I think that the fact that Jose Reyes was injured is the reason why his ratings didn't take a hit. In the last three years, his games played were 160, 159, and 36. Now I don't know the percentages SCEA uses, but if you wanted last year to take the most weight, then you'll have a starting shortstop whose durability rating would be given to sim around 73 games...

Another thing, because he only played 36 games, I would assume that since he didn't have a lot of at-bats/plate appearances, he wouldn't have a lot of data for the system to calculate any significant changes in his ratings. Now if he played 150+ games last season and still had the same combined numbers of .279/.355/.395/.750, had a drop in steals and power, and played some worst defense, then we would see him take a ratings hit in some areas.

That's my guess, but I would think it would be ridiculous for a 26-27 year old player to have his durability take a hit when in four of the past five seasons, he showed he was capable of carrying a 150 game load.

# 28 Russell_SCEA @ 02/23/10 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucs09
<<<<<<<< Waiting for Centerfielders.

Good list with a few slight tweaks needed but good none the less.

Soon as I send this gameplay video to GT I'll start working on the OF's

# 29 MrChainsaw @ 02/23/10 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antifanboy
this is a great, accurate list
And I'm sure you aren't the slightest bit biased.

# 30 tessl @ 02/23/10 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag3vsW0rld
Well, I don't speak for SCEA, but I think that the fact that Jose Reyes was injured is the reason why his ratings didn't take a hit. In the last three years, his games played were 160, 159, and 36. Now I don't know the percentages SCEA uses, but if you wanted last year to take the most weight, then you'll have a starting shortstop whose durability rating would be given to sim around 73 games...

Another thing, because he only played 36 games, I would assume that since he didn't have a lot of at-bats/plate appearances, he wouldn't have a lot of data for the system to calculate any significant changes in his ratings. Now if he played 150+ games last season and still had the same combined numbers of .279/.355/.395/.750, had a drop in steals and power, and played some worst defense, then we would see him take a ratings hit in some areas.

That's my guess, but I would think it would be ridiculous for a 26-27 year old player to have his durability take a hit when in four of the past five seasons, he showed he was capable of carrying a 150 game load.

This is from the official team ratings explanation: Player ratings are not done by human hands its all done by a program that looks at the players past three years with the most recent year weighing in the highest.

It seems perfectly logical for a player coming off a major injury to have durability concerns. True, in the past he was very durable but according to SCEA the most recent year weighs the highest and the most recent year was a major injury.

# 31 24 @ 02/23/10 07:58 PM
how is anyone rated higher than Derek jeter (with the exception of Hanley Ramirez) is beyond me . The show goes on the production of the players last three seasons. look at jeter's past three seasons

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/play...hp?p=jeterde01

Never hit lower than 300, hit for 200 hits twice, OBP was above .360 each year, struck out 100 times once and won a gold glove.

Look at jose reyes stats now

Never hit above .300, lead the league in caught stealing twice in those three years while he did lead the league in triples and hits that same year he led the league in plate appearances. OBP never above .360. made more errors in 2 years than jeter has in 3.

Hanley is better than Jeter but Reyes certainly is not. seems to me we have a met fan as the lead produce of the show lol

# 32 CommunityCollege @ 02/23/10 07:59 PM
Reyes No.1?!

get out.

# 33 jvalverde88 @ 02/23/10 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_alex718
Russell i just want to know will they have top ten list for pitchers and third basemen. If so i expect tim lincecum rated first and sandoval within the top ten third basemen.
He already released one on 3rd basemen.

http://theshowcommunity.com/showthread.php?t=227

# 34 jvalverde88 @ 02/23/10 08:02 PM
Again, its not like SCEA gave Reyes more power than Hanley. The difference between the two is the speed and fielding rating. From what I see their overall rating looks the same.

# 35 Russell_SCEA @ 02/23/10 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalverde88
Again, its not like SCEA gave Reyes more power than Hanley. The difference between the two is the speed and fielding rating. From what I see their overall rating looks the same.

Yup if you just look at the bars you will see they are essentially the same overall. You have to dig deeper into the individual ratings to see differences.

# 36 jvalverde88 @ 02/23/10 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Yup if you just look at the bars you will see they are essentially the same overall. You have to dig deeper into the individual ratings to see differences.
But no, since Reyes is above Hanley

Reyes>>>>>Hanley

# 37 Reaman @ 02/23/10 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWayneFTW
Jeter top 5, I expected that !
When he is not there [Top 5] then we really have an issue!

# 38 RoyalBoyle78 @ 02/23/10 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFCBeast55
how is Jose Reyes higher than Hanley Ramirez?
If you look at Reyes/Jeter/Ramirez they all look like they got the same bars.

# 39 BatsareBugs @ 02/23/10 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl
This is from the official team ratings explanation: Player ratings are not done by human hands its all done by a program that looks at the players past three years with the most recent year weighing in the highest.

It seems perfectly logical for a player coming off a major injury to have durability concerns. True, in the past he was very durable but according to SCEA the most recent year weighs the highest and the most recent year was a major injury.
I'm well aware that ratings are not done by people, which is why I referred to it as SCEA's "system". Maybe the "weight" system works differently than expected in some aspects.

# 40 BatsareBugs @ 02/23/10 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalverde88
It is, but everyone is up at arms because Jose Reyes is at the top of the list instead of Hanley. I remember something similar last year when they did the top 5 first basemen list and Adrian Gonzalez was listed above Albert Pujols. Both players had maxed out overalls, as well.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.