Home
MLB 10 News Post

If you think someone in the game has a less than desirable player potential post their name and current potential in the game here, thanks.

P.S. Just post their name, potential, and what you think it should be. That is all, please don't clutter the thread.

*Update: It's a bug and it will be fixed in the next roster update.

MLB '10: The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB '10: The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: MLB '10: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 66 - View All
MLB '10: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 201 Pruce @ 03/08/10 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by osubeavs721
i think potential isnt the right word for this, because what it prevents is guys dropping more than improving. Like Jeter being an A he isnt gonna drop 10 points after the year and why should he, he just had his best season... and i cant believe those words came out of my mouth, sorry fellow sox fans let me correct myself... screw jeter!!!!!

I don't quite agree. I understand your point, but guys like J.J. Hardy, Zach Duke, Jose Lopez etc. should be rated to where they can improve and not drop soo much. Even if it's just to stop dropping, like what you're saying I think, is fine.

Example Felix Hernandez was rated a C before the roster update and he was dropping like 7points in each category with varying training and coaches used in multiple sims. Young or talented players should be getting a rating where it's much harder to drop and they can improve, while some older players should be getting a reduced rating so they can "drop" and lose value in the game.

With the lower ratings for the younger players the game will have them decline at a faster rate and all your training and coaches go out the window. Meanwhile they are replaced by more fake players and the older players remain around a little longer cuz of increased rating.

From what it looks like to me A's and B's increase your ratings until you reach an age the CPU stabilizes you at, C's stay almost the same, while D's and F's have no chances of improving and staying in the game.

# 202 Pruce @ 03/08/10 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltw0303cavs
As far as the potentials, why would a Ryan Church rate above a D? Did you see him as a Met? remember potentials are not set in stone, some people are getting way too worried about potentials. Hey if your Pirates fan wouldnt you want Jose Tabata to be a A or a B ?? but guess what he is a C at best. I mean there a lot of players that are decent that have no upside, they may be decent players but will never progress above that. There is nothing wrong with that. I mean guess what when Luke Hochever was drafted bet everybody thought he was a A, guess what probably a C. Brad Lincoln was drafted ahead of Clayton Kershaw, Joba and TIm Lincecum, guess what C potential.Most of this is subjective and once again potentials can be altered based off how they train.
If in fact I see potential ratings change through training and coaches hired, I will quit my bitching. However, I've yet to see documentation, statement, or actual sims I've done having potential ratings change. As we all know those potential ratings mean alot in trades, and like MLB 09 the show the ratings didn't change through training and such. If there is such a document, video, or post I've missed showing the changing of potential ratings through training as you say, I'd love to see it, because that would be an awesome addition to the game.

# 203 Gleebo @ 03/08/10 08:03 PM
Sounds to me like these players are be graded on weather they have fulfilled their own potential. Now each player has their own hidden "ability/potential" some do an A job at getting the most out of their ability while some do not...

# 204 GoBucs09 @ 03/08/10 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltw0303cavs
As far as the potentials, why would a Ryan Church rate above a D? Did you see him as a Met? remember potentials are not set in stone, some people are getting way too worried about potentials. Hey if your Pirates fan wouldnt you want Jose Tabata to be a A or a B ?? but guess what he is a C at best. I mean there a lot of players that are decent that have no upside, they may be decent players but will never progress above that. There is nothing wrong with that. I mean guess what when Luke Hochever was drafted bet everybody thought he was a A, guess what probably a C. Brad Lincoln was drafted ahead of Clayton Kershaw, Joba and TIm Lincecum, guess what C potential.Most of this is subjective and once again potentials can be altered based off how they train.
With a stretch of the imagination I could agree with you up until you claim Jose Tabata as a C potential prospect.

Really???

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=10142

88. Zach Wheeler, RHP, Giants
89. Jordan Walden, RHP, Angels
90. Jose Tabata, OF, Pirates
91. Nick Hagadone, LHP, Indians
92. Trevor Reckling, LHP, Angels

# 205 Pruce @ 03/08/10 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleebo
Sounds to me like these players are be graded on weather they have fulfilled their own potential. Now each player has their own hidden "ability/potential" some do an A job at getting the most out of their ability while some do not...
That's an interesting way to look at it. If it were that way, it could explain some things. However, I don't quite know if it works that way.

I've been running a few sims, and most of the A's B's increased in ratings while C's stayed fairly stagnant, while D's and F's lost ratings and become worse players.

Training seems to help increase ratings for A's and B's quicker, while C's go up somewhat, and D's F's still lost rating points.

# 206 bxgoods @ 03/08/10 08:21 PM
I have yet to see a players potential change, can Russell or somebody at SCEA varify this? I seen people whi played the early build claim it happens, but I have yet to see it varified by documentation. Someone should post a video or something, I haven't seen it happen in my game yet.

# 207 BatsareBugs @ 03/08/10 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxgoods
I have yet to see a players potential change, can Russell or somebody at SCEA varify this? I seen people whi played the early build claim it happens, but I have yet to see it varified by documentation. Someone should post a video or something, I haven't seen it happen in my game yet.
If you went on sportsconnect to get the new roster, you have to save the live roster on sports connect first, then load it up in the main menu of the game.

Hope that helps!

On a second note, I had just posted my findings in the other thread.

# 208 Pruce @ 03/08/10 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxgoods
Much agreed, can someone with inner knowledge of the game explain this.

I just finished yet another season with training set to CPU and C's once again stayed the same, A's/B's increased in some instances by +10 while Zack Duke a D (an all-star albeit with the pirates) potential dropped 10, John Lannan -9.

These guys aren't living gods by any means and shouldn't be A's, but in no way should they have decreased so bad within 2 simulated seasons they are out of the rotation and replaced by a fake player. If a C potential means they stay relatively the same, make all the D's and F's I've listed at least C's so they don't just become garbage.

It looks like the potentials won't change with simulation and training. So if a player is a D or F, you can train all you want, but they're screwed, when in real life they are probably pretty sustainable.

# 209 Pruce @ 03/08/10 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag3vsW0rld
If you went on sportsconnect to get the new roster, you have to save the live roster on sports connect first, then load it up in the main menu of the game.

Hope that helps!

On a second note, I had just posted my findings in the other thread.
I believe he meant that he hasn't seen a player potential rating change while playing the game.
Updated ratings can indeed be found where you say. The question, I believe, is do those potential ratings alter themselves (not altered directly by the user) but indirectly through training and performance?

# 210 ltw0303cavs @ 03/08/10 08:47 PM
Yeah , just because somebody makes a top 100 list means nothing. Look at his stats, no power at all and on top of that the kid could be 24-25 yrs old no 20-21. Gotta love those Dominican birth certificates. Look at Lars Anderson, he was up on those lists now he isnt even the Red Sox best 1B prospect. I disagree with some of the potentials but like all GM's you play with what you have.

# 211 Knight165 @ 03/08/10 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruce
Much agreed, can someone with inner knowledge of the game explain this.

I just finished yet another season with training set to CPU and C's once again stayed the same, A's/B's increased in some instances by +10 while Zack Duke a D (an all-star albeit with the pirates) potential dropped 10, John Lannan -9.

These guys aren't living gods by any means and shouldn't be A's, but in no way should they have decreased so bad within 2 simulated seasons they are out of the rotation and replaced by a fake player. If a C potential means they stay relatively the same, make all the D's and F's I've listed at least C's so they don't just become garbage.

It looks like the potentials won't change with simulation and training. So if a player is a D or F, you can train all you want, but they're screwed, when in real life they are probably pretty sustainable.
You guys started perpetuating this idea that potentials were going to start moving up and down at a rapid clip.
They will not.
A player who is being trained and has certain streaks gets the CHANCE of changing a potential grade.
It's MORE likely to happen in the minor leagues...but it can happen to any player.
For the minor leaguers you will get notice that a player is playing very well....you may then get another e-mail some time later that so and so is playing much better than we thought....he might be a better player than we anticipated(paraphrasing)...that's the one that shows that the player is probably making a change(an e-mail saying so and so might now be the player we thought he was....is the indicator for the drop)
You might see some on your club....you might not.
This whole problem with the potential ratings has caused some urban myth type stuff floating around.
Potential can indeed change....just don't expect it to be nuts.

M.K.
Knight165

# 212 BatsareBugs @ 03/08/10 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruce
I believe he meant that he hasn't seen a player potential rating change while playing the game.
Updated ratings can indeed be found where you say. The question, I believe, is do those potential ratings alter themselves (not altered directly by the user) but indirectly through training and performance?
Right, I misread his post. My bad.

# 213 Pruce @ 03/08/10 08:54 PM
You don't play with what you have if it isn't realistic as the game is intended to be. If we wanted arcade style baseball we'd play The Bigs.

Most of those guys I listed on the last page were mainly B's with some A's from last year. So you're telling me that within a year those same players (which many have improved) have now become D's or F's, while some players are clearly on the decline are still A's. It doesn't quite make sense.

# 214 Pruce @ 03/08/10 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag3vsW0rld
Right, I misread his post. My bad.
No worries. we're all here to help (of to find it) for the game and its users.

# 215 RoyalBoyle78 @ 03/08/10 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinks
Yes, Jeff Francoeur should be an F
why is that, are you a bitter Braves fan?

# 216 AlleyViper @ 03/08/10 09:54 PM
Along with all the D and C ratings that should be higher, and A ratings for older guys past their primes, I've found a number of A ratings for guys that have no business being A's. If I were to give just one Indian an A potential it would be Grady, yet he's sitting at B, while Justin freakin' Masterson (the very definition of a B potential, to me) is an A.

I haven't noticed any actual big prospects that are rated too low yet (like Dexter Fowler was last year), but on the whole I feel like there are more questionable potential ratings than I can ever remember in previous games. I'm not really sure why potential isn't editable.

# 217 Pruce @ 03/08/10 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyViper
Along with all the D and C ratings that should be higher, and A ratings for older guys past their primes, I've found a number of A ratings for guys that have no business being A's. If I were to give just one Indian an A potential it would be Grady, yet he's sitting at B, while Justin freakin' Masterson (the very definition of a B potential, to me) is an A.

I haven't noticed any actual big prospects that are rated too low yet (like Dexter Fowler was last year), but on the whole I feel like there are more questionable potential ratings than I can ever remember in previous games. I'm not really sure why potential isn't editable.
I second that. Justin Masterson is by no means an A. He can be good but not great.

I wonder how hard it is for them to adjust the ratings. I'd like to assign someone a job to sit down and accurately depict each player. Like have a group of mlb scouts sit down and come up with ratings for each player. Or a partnership with Baseball Prospectus or something.

# 218 FluffyTonka @ 03/08/10 10:34 PM
Has this potential fix in th roster update been done yet?

# 219 GoBucs09 @ 03/08/10 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyTonka
Has this potential fix in th roster update been done yet?
Some players have been addressed, not all. Incomplete fix.

# 220 mcelhinneym1 @ 03/10/10 02:29 AM
Yadier Molina- C, A
come on son!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.