Home
MLB 10 News Post

If you think someone in the game has a less than desirable player potential post their name and current potential in the game here, thanks.

P.S. Just post their name, potential, and what you think it should be. That is all, please don't clutter the thread.

*Update: It's a bug and it will be fixed in the next roster update.

MLB '10: The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB '10: The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: MLB '10: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 66 - View All
MLB '10: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Microsoft_Works @ 03/04/10 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faster
David Wright should be a B? Don't you think he's as good as he's going to get? If he's at his highest point, he should be an F then, meaning he has no potential to develop further. That's the way I always read potential.
That is not the way SCEA reads potential however.

# 162 BatsareBugs @ 03/04/10 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
oh lordie, this whole thread no one has recommended that any of their teams players potential go DOWN.
homerism is in da houuuuuse
Yeah, my post is being drowned out by a ton.

# 163 bxgoods @ 03/04/10 10:20 PM
potential rating also affects trade value, a player with a F potential rating have very low trade value. I can't trade Jose Reyes for a bag of peanuts because his potential is so low.

# 164 faster @ 03/04/10 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoft_Works
That is not the way SCEA reads potential however.
ah hah! ok, sorry if i didn't read up as i should have. doh, silly me.

# 165 ocho cuatro @ 03/05/10 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
For me...
David Wright is an F should be a B
Jose Reyes is an F...should be a B or an A

The main thing I hope for is this.
Fake players...about 30 A potential players...any more and that would be too many IMO.
Tough to say on the B guys...maybe 100-150?
Plenty of C's...and some D's and F's

M.K.
Knight165
I would LOVE to have 30 fake A potential players to work with!

# 166 econoodle @ 03/05/10 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal093
I really hope its not too late, but there are a lot of problems on the pirates(what else is new..haha).

SP Zack Duke-D--was B or A last year
SP Ross Ohlendorf-D--was B i think last year...could argue he's an A (maybe should be, idk wat u guys had him at)
SP Kevin Hart-D--should be at least C i think he was C or B last yr.
SP Paul Maholm-D--should be a B
SP Daniel McCutchen-D--should be C min, maybe B
SP Charlie Morton-D--should no doubt be a B min...has GREAT stuff
SP Jeff Karstens-D--prob. C
RP Evan Meek-D--definately B min, maybe A?
RP Craig Hanson-F--tons of talent should be B
RP Jose Ascanio-D--C,B..idk he's on our 40-man i believe
RP Donnie Veal-D--prob B, maybe C
C Ryan Doumit-B--A last yr...is an A pot guy if healthy no doubt
C Jason Jaramillo-F--C pot possibly B(doubt it) quality quality back up switch hitter
SS Ronny Cedeno-D--should be B or C
LF Ryan Church-D--think he was B last yr???
LF Delwyn Young-F--prob. a C guy quality Utility guy hit very well last yr.

These next are guys im unsure of if its a mistake or not
1B-Garret Jones-B--its prob right but i didn't know if he's supposed to be A
SP Virgil Vasquez-D--might be a C, but i think u meant to give him a D idk?
RP Neal Cotts-D--dont know much about him but is he a C?
1B-Steve Pearce-D--Guy is not a D pot...C MAYBE pushing low B
2B-Akinori Iwamora-C--B? prob a C but again idk
3B-Andy Laroche-C--low B??showed great defense and started tearing up the ball near .300 but had bad end of the year.
3B-Neil Walker-D--C at least he's still young, but not a D...and not so insanely low that you rated him???? he was a high pick, he's got some talent.
RF-Brandon Moss-D--B last yr i think...he's prob a C guy though
LF?-Brandon Jones-D--dont know a lot about him but D seems low for a younger guy...idk wat u had him at originally

AND i was wondering...are you guys going through the whole roster set, or just fixing the guys that we list? b/c im sure people will miss some players.

P.S.---you know you have a GREAT game when we're willing to put up with this stuff...lol.....nice job jumping on this quick. but i still have to wait for knight's rosters anyway, so it'll still be a while before i go real hardcore into franchise.

so the whole roster needs to go UP?
come on now
lol silly rabbit.

# 167 The Police @ 03/05/10 10:34 PM
The potential ratings last year worked fine, a superstar should have A potential, if he has anything less he will decline a ton ever year.

# 168 Knight165 @ 03/05/10 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Bonami
Couple of quick questions about potential:

-Is a player's POTENTIAL Rating always guaranteed to produce the player reflected in that rating?....I am hoping not
Not exactly. A B rated player...may not be trained properly.....and if he has poor performance may possibly drop to a C rating....this happens in season. Also...the potential grade has a varied growth rate...(a B can get say 5-8 point per season in certain areas...usually dependent on primary position)...age is a factor(at certain ages players will "level"...and then later will decline regardless of potential......it is not set in stone and also has a variance factor)

-Do all GMs and scouts see a player's Potential Rating as the same letter grade or do they see it differently depending on the talent of the scout/GM?
GM's will see the ratings as their scouts do.
Scouts have varied talent ratings.

-Do different teams have different priorities or criteria when negotiating trades that reflect their own franchise's goals or needs?
Absolutely.
Team need...budget...team mode(rebuilding..playoff push etc)

-Was this whole potential problem an issue in MLB 09 last year?...if not, what changed this year to cause this problem?
No.....there was a bug when they made the rosters this year. You can tell that fake minor leaguers got a lot of the MLB players potential ratings....last year there were 7 A rated minor leaguers(fake)....this year 150....something swapped the ratings I would say.

Thanks...this will help me understand and appreciate the game's internal workings a little better
Hope this helps.

M.K.
Knight165

# 169 adam914 @ 03/06/10 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal093
I really hope its not too late, but there are a lot of problems on the pirates(what else is new..haha).

SP Zack Duke-D--was B or A last year
SP Ross Ohlendorf-D--was B i think last year...could argue he's an A (maybe should be, idk wat u guys had him at)
SP Kevin Hart-D--should be at least C i think he was C or B last yr.
SP Paul Maholm-D--should be a B
SP Daniel McCutchen-D--should be C min, maybe B
SP Charlie Morton-D--should no doubt be a B min...has GREAT stuff
SP Jeff Karstens-D--prob. C
RP Evan Meek-D--definately B min, maybe A?
RP Craig Hanson-F--tons of talent should be B
RP Jose Ascanio-D--C,B..idk he's on our 40-man i believe
RP Donnie Veal-D--prob B, maybe C
C Ryan Doumit-B--A last yr...is an A pot guy if healthy no doubt
C Jason Jaramillo-F--C pot possibly B(doubt it) quality quality back up switch hitter
SS Ronny Cedeno-D--should be B or C
LF Ryan Church-D--think he was B last yr???
LF Delwyn Young-F--prob. a C guy quality Utility guy hit very well last yr.

These next are guys im unsure of if its a mistake or not
1B-Garret Jones-B--its prob right but i didn't know if he's supposed to be A
SP Virgil Vasquez-D--might be a C, but i think u meant to give him a D idk?
RP Neal Cotts-D--dont know much about him but is he a C?
1B-Steve Pearce-D--Guy is not a D pot...C MAYBE pushing low B
2B-Akinori Iwamora-C--B? prob a C but again idk
3B-Andy Laroche-C--low B??showed great defense and started tearing up the ball near .300 but had bad end of the year.
3B-Neil Walker-D--C at least he's still young, but not a D...and not so insanely low that you rated him???? he was a high pick, he's got some talent.
RF-Brandon Moss-D--B last yr i think...he's prob a C guy though
LF?-Brandon Jones-D--dont know a lot about him but D seems low for a younger guy...idk wat u had him at originally
Wow judging by this the Pirates should win 120 games for the next 10 years straight at least.

# 170 Knight165 @ 03/06/10 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Bonami
Knight...thanks for the quick and thorough response!

Let me just ask this follow up question here which may be a little off topic but it will save some clutter on the boards with another post;

There's so much information scattered all over the place and I just dont have time to read everything, so I apologize if these are obvious

I want to start a franchise and get fairly realistic results from the game's AI and Logic but I know some things are broken or need tweaking with a patch and a roster upgrade, but if I start a franchise, can I expect the game's AI to be competent in the following areas:

-Setting realistic and normal lineups for the rest of the teams in the league and also routinely updating those lineups to take advantage of player hot streaks and slumps
This one is subjective. If you don't look at player names..and focus on what their attributes are...I think the CPU does a very good job.
They will adjust for performance...but it's not all over the place. Don't expect Jerry Manuel lineups.

-Calling up Minor Leaguers (and demoting Major Leaguers) in appropriate situations when they perform at a level deserving of it (not just as replacements for injured players)
It will....but I think this could use some more work.

-Setting proper pitching rotations and even more importantly, logical bullpen roles based on their talent
Yes...this it's fairly good at. There is one bug where if the team trades for a second closer(ala Mets Putz/Rodriquez)...it won't put one as the setup...instead puts one in AAA....Kolbe knows and will hopefully address this

-Correctly set shorter Pitch Rotations during playoffs to utilize star pitchers
I'm not sure if this made it. I thought I read somewhere that it used a short staff...not sure if it was 3 or 4.

-Intelligently utilize the Free Agency pool and pickup good talent when available
I was surprised to see that they did indeed get in FA signings DURING the season!....

-Make intelligent trades to facilitate their team's immediate needs
Okay....right now trades may be too plentiful. A lot of teams are vying for all those A potential fake minor leaguers. Hopefully the roster update cures some of this. It seems like any team not in the playoff push mode...is shedding contract for prospects... TBD

Thanks if you can answer any of these questions!

Again...hope this helps.

M.K.
Knight165

# 171 ydoubleon @ 03/06/10 03:27 AM
For Toronto Bluejays

Adam Lind:A
Aaron Hill:A
I am happy with our best prospect Travis Snider already being an A!! He is going to be a monster
At least one of Ricky Romero, Brett Cecill, Dustin Mcgowan, Shawn Marcum deserves A imo
Thank U ^_______^

# 172 tabarnes19_SDS @ 03/06/10 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I was surprised to see that they did indeed get in FA signings DURING the season!....
The only thing that bothers me about this is the cpu never adds fa signings to 40 man so they stay in AAA. Kolbe knows about this as well, released players signed do the same thing, except they have a contract for 0 years and 0 dollars.

# 173 BatsareBugs @ 03/06/10 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydoubleon
For Toronto Bluejays

Adam Lind:A
Aaron Hill:A
I am happy with our best prospect Travis Snider already being an A!! He is going to be a monster
At least one of Ricky Romero, Brett Cecill, Dustin Mcgowan, Shawn Marcum deserves A imo
Thank U ^_______^
I think out of those four pitchers, Dustin McGowan is the best candidate for the A, but I would like to see Ricky Romero with it.

# 174 AlleyViper @ 03/06/10 06:46 AM
Not sure who has been covered already, but here's my take on Cleveland:

Player - Current potential/recommendation

Grady Sizemore - D/A
Shin-Soo Choo - D/B
Asdrubal Cabrera - C/B
Fausto Carmona - D/B
Russell Branyan - B/C
Chris Perez - D/B
Justin Masterson - C/B
Joe Smith - D/C
Jason Grilli - B/C
Rafael Perez - D/B or C
Tony Sipp - D/B
Jensen Lewis - D/C
Jhonny Peralta - D/C
Jeremy Sowers - D/C
Austin Kearns - D/C
Scott Lewis - D/C
Michael Brantley - C/B
Trevor Crowe - D/C
Andy Marte - D/C
Jess Todd - D/C
Wyatt Toregas - D/C
Carlos Carrasco - A/B
Chris Gimenez - D/C

Everyone else looks okay to me.

# 175 S2S @ 03/06/10 07:18 AM
Brian McCann is at a D. :/ I know he deserves a C if not a B.

Martin Prado is at a D. C aswell? Infante is a C so I believe Prado deserves it aswell.

Brooks Conrad. He's at an F. Anyway to bump him up to a D? He came up and was huge for awhile but maybe I'm being biased because he had that homerun against the Nationals last year.

Melky Cabrera is at a D. C or B?

Pitchers look fine for the Braves unless other fans want to input.

# 176 Kazaki @ 03/06/10 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam914
Wow judging by this the Pirates should win 120 games for the next 10 years straight at least.
We're talking about the ratings for POTENTIAL. This discussion has nothing to do with the Pirates tendency to trade everyone away in a desperate attempt to avoid the playoffs.

# 177 24 @ 03/06/10 10:37 AM
not sure if this was answered but when is the next update this monday?

# 178 careyevan @ 03/06/10 11:28 AM
Yes this and every Monday from now until the end of the season.

# 179 jsou4646 @ 03/06/10 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk7987
I'll post and edit in more.

I'm basing these being "wrong" based on the fact that almost all of these players would have had "A" potential ratings in '09.

Also, it may be worth noting that pretty much all ratings aren't displayed right. People who should have A contact or power based on the little bar are coming in 1-2 letter grades lower than they should. Example: Pujols has "B" power. Utley has "C" for both contact and power. Both of these are a full letter off from last year.

Well, it would be impossible to list every player that probably has the wrong potential. It seems like almost everyone has the wrong potential. If I had to pick out a pattern, I'd say that established players like Mike Lowell, Chipper Jones, Bobby Abreu, Jorge Posada, Gary Sheffield, etc all seem to have the correct A potential rating, but middle-of-the-pack league average players seem to be about a letter lower than they should.

Tim Lincecum - B
Cover Boy Joe Mauer - C
Hanley Ramirez - C
Jose Reyes - F
Jonathan Broxton - D
Prince Fielder - B
Miguel Cabrera - D
Troy Tulowitzki - B
Evan Longoria - C
King Felix - C
Zack Greinke - C
Huston Street - D
Ian Kinsler - D
J.Verlander - D
Andrew Bailey - C
Josh Johnson - B
Mark Reynolds - D
Adrian Gonzalez - D
Grady Sizemore - D
David Wright - F
Kendry Morales - C
Dustin Pedroia - C
Ryan Zimmerman - D
Carlos Marmol - D
Matt Cain - C
Brian McCann - D
Joakim Soria - B
Brian Wilson - C
Cole Hamels - C
Shin-Soo Choo - D
Garrett Jones - B
Adam Lind - C
Ryan Dempster - B
Jered Weaver - D
Aaron Hill - D
Hunter Pence - C
James Shields - B
Pablo Sandoval - B
John Lackey - B
Adam Dunn - B
Brian Roberts - B
Brad Lidge - B
Yadier Molina - D
Chone Figgins - B
Scott Rolen - B
Jason Bartlett - B
Billy Butler - C
Ryan Madson - B
Mike Adams - B
Orlando Hudson - B
Asdrubal Cabrera - C
Andre Ethier - B
Nick Markakis - B
Zach Duke - D
Jon Lester - C
Jair Jurrjens - C
Ricky Nolasco - B
Adrian Beltre - B
Carlos Quentin - D
Scott Kazmir - D
Justin Duchscherer - B
Matt Garza - C
Franklin Gutierrez - D
Robbie Cano - D
Michael Cuddyer - B
Daniel Bard - C

Pretty much all of these players should be "A" if we are basing it on last year's game. If not, MOST of these should still be "A" players.
wow

# 180 volsman @ 03/06/10 04:16 PM
Why are people still posting changes? If am sure that once the correct their bug and resort data that everything will be fine.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.