Home
Backbreaker News Post

IGN has posted their hands-on preview of Backbreaker.

Quote:
"Passing seemed to work a little better in the frantic football world that Backbreaker presents. The approach is certainly different than any I've seen for hurling the pigskin. Actually passing the ball is done entirely by the right stick, while targeting a player is done by holding the left trigger and moving between receivers with the left analog. The AI is largely in charge of the strength of the pass you're throwing (something that I'm worried about) unless it's a bomb pass, in which case you can move the analog down and then up to emulate a throwing motion of sorts. Every other pass is done with a simple flick upwards. Passing didn't feel all that great when I played with rigid camera movements that strain to follow the ball down the field and some wonky physics when the ball hit either the ground or a player's hands.

Aside from standard quick play games, there's also an 8, 16, and 32 team season option and something called Road to Backbreaker which I'm guessing is designed to deliver some sort of loose tournament structure in the same vein as Mortal Kombat (escalating difficulty with meaner and meaner opponents)."

Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 41 bigsmallwood @ 03/03/10 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
@bigsmallwood

The devs have sounded off on the GameSpot board that there will be a multi-season mode, but for some reason they aren't calling it a franchise mode. As for the lack of injuries, has this been confirmed? Seems very odd for a game called 'backbreaker' to not have injuries in the game. For a game that emulates the bone, muscle, and electrical structure of the human body, you'd think it could easily represent injuries.

As for the passing game, I love the view. I hope the controls feel good. I REALLY hope you don't have to use the analog stick to pass. IMHO that's a bad design decision. Use it for the running game, sure, but not the passing game.
Thanks for the info!!! I really hope that it does at least have a true to form Franchise Mode available!

# 42 booker21 @ 03/03/10 01:25 PM
there are any incomplete pases?
for some reason after watching IGN videos i feel this game will be hardly a good representatino of football.

Tackles are amazing, but the rest are very very avg..
WR catching animations are weird... QB dropbacks and passing are wierd.. OL blocking/interaction are weird...

hope they tune this areas before release.

# 43 turftickler @ 03/03/10 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djordan
I see nothing wrong with the IGN article. He makes some valid points such as the A.I controlling the passes and their being only one camera angle.
The camera angle is their vision just the same as the Madden cameras are EA's vision.

The game looks good. And yes, it does look better than Madden all ready. We can all find something we don't like about the game in the videos, but the game will feel smooth and we will forget all about these videos when May 18th comes.

# 44 veritas1 @ 03/03/10 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
yikes....i dont know that EA has too much to worry about after watchign this.
EA has a lot to worry about even if Backbreaker didn't exist....

# 45 ODogg @ 03/03/10 02:03 PM
turftickler - yeah and just because Madden does it with one camera angle doesn't mean that we shouldn't ask for a user cam. Vision of the developer? BS man. Every football game needs a user camera angle IMO.

I already see guys in this thread giving this game passes they would scream bloody murder about if it it was EA. I understand it's a first year effort but excusing only one camera angle, and a bad one at that (IMO), is not what we should be encouraging here. We should be asking why the game isn't trying to better Madden in areas like this, not equal them in poor choices. That is the only way this game can survive for further iterations.

It's not good enough for this game to be as good as Madden in many areas, it's going to have to be far better in as many areas as it can be. And one camera angle is simply a poor design choice, not a technology or programming limitation.

# 46 jdr4693 @ 03/03/10 02:10 PM
will there be incomplete passes in this game? it looks like throwing is too easy and every pass is on the money?

# 47 LingeringRegime @ 03/03/10 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr4693
will there be incomplete passes in this game? it looks like throwing is too easy and every pass is on the money?
During one of the highlight videos there were balls being deflected and incomplete. Most of these gameplay videos are not catered toward people like us, but toward the casual sports gamer. Everyone wants to see the spectacular plays.

# 48 booker21 @ 03/03/10 02:21 PM
I didnīt see 1 single overthrown pass yet

# 49 alliance4g63 @ 03/03/10 02:23 PM
Woah woah woah! Where did all you Negative Nancys come from!? Goodness!

I can't believe we are watching the same videos. The game still looks pretty damn amazing to me.

The passing game is already starting to make the old passing engines of the past look dated. That is how the field should look when passing the ball. I like how you have to move in the pocket and I'm glad they showed an instance where the QB had to step up to pass the ball.

Maybe they are not highlighting incomplete passes at the moment. Why would they be anyway? They are still showing HIGHLIGHT videos. They have already mentioned there will be incomplete passes so why worry?

As far as the line interaction, I noticed alot more when watching the vids multiple times. I noticed a RE rush up the field while others didn't. So that showed variety in the pass rush. I noticed a double team. Nice addition. Most of the time when the QB had alot of time was when there were 5 linemen and 4 rushers. They also showed the QB getting sacked a few times. So maybe just maybe when the QB is getting alot of time, it a good offensive line vs a mediocre one.

Notice when the defense blitzed, the Qb made a quick throw that resulted in an INT.

Maybe I am being too optomistic or maybe you guys are being too pessimistic but I saw plenty postive in that video. I saw way more positive then negative.

Another little thing that I heard was a stadium announcer. Another nice touch. Something does need to be done about the generic YUMA and all that other stuff they were yelling. Was there some delay or something?

# 50 kjcheezhead @ 03/03/10 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
turftickler - yeah and just because Madden does it with one camera angle doesn't mean that we shouldn't ask for a user cam. Vision of the developer? BS man. Every football game needs a user camera angle IMO.

I already see guys in this thread giving this game passes they would scream bloody murder about if it it was EA. I understand it's a first year effort but excusing only one camera angle, and a bad one at that (IMO), is not what we should be encouraging here. We should be asking why the game isn't trying to better Madden in areas like this, not equal them in poor choices. That is the only way this game can survive for further iterations.

It's not good enough for this game to be as good as Madden in many areas, it's going to have to be far better in as many areas as it can be. And one camera angle is simply a poor design choice, not a technology or programming limitation.
Take into account, this is a first time title and a small development team. They probably have half the resources Madden had for Madden 06 and they had to create everything from scratch. Blocking AI, Coverage AI, Passing/running system, the entire league, uniform creator, everything. How high of a priority would multiple cameras views probably be? They wanted to be different from Madden, not give us a generic version of that game but give us an on the field perspective and that's what they've done.

And Yes, I do think this game deserves more slack than Madden because no other developer has the balls to even try and give us a new football game.

# 51 SageInfinite @ 03/03/10 03:20 PM
While I don't agree with some of the design decisions, I do think this game looks pretty damn good for a first attempt. I noticed the blocking was a little funky at times, but it's no worse than what Madden has so it's whatever.

While I would like to have the more traditional camera angle, I understand what the devs are going for. Still would be nice to give us options. I hope their camera choice doesn't backfire on them. The frame rate didn't look as smooth as it should be. Hopefully it was just the video.

The only thing I really didn't like was the sounds. For such a high octane game the crowd and on field sounds were pretty dull.

# 52 ODogg @ 03/03/10 03:25 PM
kjcheezhead - having a user camera angle or at least multiple angles is not something that requires a large team with lots of time and money. As to how high of a priority that should have been, one look at a focus group should have yielded that result. Simply take a look at this thread and you'll see what I mean.

As for no other dev making a football game, what do you call the Blitz series? The mere fact that you and others forget that game should worry those that are hoping for this one to succeed.

For me I'll give them a lot of the benefit of the doubt because I know they have inexperience and not near as many resources as some game devs do, but poor design decisions is not something I'm as willing to let go and neither should any of you who are hoping to see this title not come out of the gate to an EPIC FAIL.

# 53 coogrfan @ 03/03/10 03:51 PM
In a word...meh.

# 54 Benicio10 @ 03/03/10 03:53 PM
put me in the group of people that will pass on this game because of the camera angle. why couldn't they give us multiple angles? I enjoy the broadcast (god) camera because i can see the whole field and play football like a chess match.

if this is just a game about hard hitting, then i'll pass.

with that said, Madden should license this engine. the tackles look (and probably feel) terrific.

# 55 KBLover @ 03/03/10 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turftickler
The camera angle is their vision just the same as the Madden cameras are EA's vision.
Cameras.

BB has just one?

Madden at least has several. Not that any of them are great (though I like the Broadcast cam the best) but at least there's some options.

Though, isn't there a coach cam (but you can't control the players)? I know that won't be good for some, but that would be okay with me. I like playing as a coach more than as a player anyway.

Still, I do think it's a bad idea to have a cam where you can't control players. It's one thing to have a vision, it's another, especially in a game that's prides on customization, that we can't at least choose from multiple cams.

Yeah, not many games give a custom cam or anything (the old Dynamix/Front Page Sports games did and I haven't seen it since), but not many give you just 1 view and have to deal with it either.

# 56 KBLover @ 03/03/10 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicio10
with that said, Madden should license this engine. the tackles look (and probably feel) terrific.
That would be nice, yeah.

Having physics be a factor and a fresh new engine would be great.

# 57 Americas Team1 @ 03/03/10 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicio10
put me in the group of people that will pass on this game because of the camera angle. why couldn't they give us multiple angles? I enjoy the broadcast (god) camera because i can see the whole field and play football like a chess match.

if this is just a game about hard hitting, then i'll pass.

OK.... Welll I'd rather play a game with one camera angle(that looks really cool)and some really good looking gameplay then a game with more camera angles and not that good of gameplay or AI.

# 58 allBthere @ 03/03/10 04:44 PM
Quote:
kjcheezhead - having a user camera angle or at least multiple angles is not something that requires a large team with lots of time and money. As to how high of a priority that should have been, one look at a focus group should have yielded that result. Simply take a look at this thread and you'll see what I mean.

As for no other dev making a football game, what do you call the Blitz series? The mere fact that you and others forget that game should worry those that are hoping for this one to succeed.

For me I'll give them a lot of the benefit of the doubt because I know they have inexperience and not near as many resources as some game devs do, but poor design decisions is not something I'm as willing to let go and neither should any of you who are hoping to see this title not come out of the gate to an EPIC FAIL.
what you call a bad design decision is something that I'm pumped for. All you're doing is complaining because in your opinion the camera is bad.
Did gears of war give other camera options?

some of you guys are SO caught up in Madden that you have become UNWILLING to EVEN TRY a game with a different approach. I don't care if you guys pass, in fact I wish there was a magic force-field preventing you from trying it to punish the level of ignorance I'm seeing.

Just because Nate Ahearn trashed the game on IGN doesn't trump gamespot and gamerpros. His was a lazy uninformative crap article which has led to many new bashers posting in here. It absolutely blows my mind that some people called the gameplay "bland". I had no idea IGN previews (especially by Ahearn) could be this influential.

I'm pumped! the thing I liked the least was the running plays in that video...but I'm pretty excited about playing this, especially road to backbreaker with my custom team. I'm looking forward to grabbing a new football game.

# 59 Americas Team1 @ 03/03/10 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
what you call a bad design decision is something that I'm pumped for. All you're doing is complaining because in your opinion the camera is bad.
Did gears of war give other camera options?

some of you guys are SO caught up in Madden that you have become UNWILLING to EVEN TRY a game with a different approach. I don't care if you guys pass, in fact I wish there was a magic force-field preventing you from trying it to punish the level of ignorance I'm seeing.

Just because Nate Ahearn trashed the game on IGN doesn't trump gamespot and gamerpros. His was a lazy uninformative crap article which has led to many new bashers posting in here. It absolutely blows my mind that some people called the gameplay "bland". I had no idea IGN previews (especially by Ahearn) could be this influential.

I'm pumped! the thing I liked the least was the running plays in that video...but I'm pretty excited about playing this, especially road to backbreaker with my custom team. I'm looking forward to grabbing a new football game.
I agree 100%

# 60 kjcheezhead @ 03/03/10 04:49 PM
Quote:

I know about the Blitz series. Look at the guys passing on this game already. Probably the number one response is..."meh, the game looks like Blitz." I'd rather not count that one.

There are probably a number of reasons for this decision tho. The biggest is they wanted to separate themselves from Madden. APF was a solid, realistic game that played a similar style to Madden and it failed. I think it was a mistake by the BB devs, but they probably saw that and said, if we do a Madden style without the NFL, we will fail too. Money, development time, and priorities probably played a role too.

The funny thing is, no one has played this game yet. We really don't know how good it is, but the camera has gotten mixed reviews by people who have had a chance to try it. From what I've seen, it's seems like it works nicely.

The lack of injuries, and generic sound(no commentary) have been much more disappointing to me so far.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.