Home
NHL 2K11 News Post

NHL 2K11 will be a Wii exclusive, according to Kotaku.

Quote:
"Take-Two Interactive CEO Ben Feder sheds some light on NHL 2K's absence from the company's PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 line-up, explaining that the series is on hiatus this year in order to come back stronger with NHL 2K12.

An ad for bands to perform on the NHL 2K11 soundtrack gave fans of the franchise some hope that this year's installment was still in the works, and in a way it is, but only for the Nintendo Wii."

Game: NHL 2K11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / WiiVotes for game: 8 - View All
NHL 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Flyermania @ 03/04/10 09:32 PM
I am still skeptical on a future 360/PS3 release. Based on how this series has regressed (yet still retaining the same bugs/issues), I don't have a lot of faith in the development team either. Regardless, a year off is going to make this series even more forgettable. The best thing that could happen for 2k is that EA's game hits the skids so that people start hoping for an alternative again -- as things stand now EA has the market all but cornered.

This decision, like the PS3 patch debacle, is based on one thing -- money. Unless the Wii version or 2k's other sports games start to make a decent profit, I don't see how or why they would invest money into a 360/PS3 version that clearly was unprofitable for them to begin with. As a company, it makes no financial sense.

Their higher-ups can say all they want now about how they are "dedicated", etc., but their current actions speak a lot louder than words IMO.

# 22 Money99 @ 03/05/10 07:37 AM
I wonder what the NHL or NHLPA think about this? How much power do they have with video game companies that use their licenses?

I know with MLB, NBA and the NFL they're constantly in the face of anyone who is in bed with them to make multiple games or even how their games are made.

While on the FN Community event, one of the EA guys said that NBA and NFL execs were constantly forcing their hand in how they developed their games.

Will the NHL and PA do the same with this news? Will they threaten to not renew their contracts with 2K? I doubt it, but I wonder what their thoughts are on this.

# 23 Flyermania @ 03/05/10 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting
Completely disagree. There are still people playing 2K and think the series is not a little, but a lot better than EA's version. This is all in the eye of the beholder at this point, and will be when the title resurfaces.

I think this action that they're taking completely solidifies the fact that they are "dedicated" to making the series even better.
Which game is better is and always will be subjective...what it comes down to from a business standpoint is sales and profit, and there is no disputing 2k has trailed EA in this area for years.

If 2k truly was dedicated to making the series better, it would have been reflected in the games themselves. Bugs, glitches, and issues that carry over year to year without being addressed, little to no pre-release marketing of their product, little to no post-release support via roster updates, totally ignoring the PS3 version not once but twice with a patch --- to me, these is not dedicated in the least.

This game needs a complete makeover, from the way it is designed to the way it is marketed. If this series, as well as most of 2k's other sports titles, aren't making money as it is then where are the resources going to come from to make this overhaul? Why would 2k invest a lot of time, effort, and money into this game only to see it bring back a fraction of this due to poor sales?

IMO this series peaked with 2k3 and 2k5...it was a fresh sim-style game that the hockey gaming community was dying for. It had top notch presentation and was head and shoulders above anything EA could do. 2k had a strong involvement with the community and was doing everything right. And then they stopped.

EA took this opportunity to copy everything 2k was doing right and re-launch the franchise on next-gen. It worked for them because they have the financial strength and brand recognition to make it work --- things that 2k does not have going for them.

# 24 Flyermania @ 03/05/10 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting
Very true. I hope 2K can generate more $$ for the sake of the series.
I do too...competition only makes each game stronger.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.