Home
News Post

Quote:
"Some of you may already be familiar with Marcus Stephenson. He has been around for quite some time driving community initiatives or just being accessible within the community. After running a Madden fan site for years he took a position as a Community Manager at the EA Canada studio before moving between a few different projects, most notably as a Producer on NBA Live 10. He has now left the EA Sports studio and holds the position of Game Designer for WWE Smackdown vs Raw at THQ. I had the opportunity to ask Marcus a few questions about his time at EA and his new role at THQ."

Source: Pasta Padre

Member Comments
# 41 Warrior8o8 @ 04/02/10 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
From earlier in the thread:

and he has a blog post for it: http://headlocks4breakfast.blogspot....wrestling.html

Man,That would be sweet if they take ideas from FPW or even from WWF No Mercy

# 42 SmashMan @ 04/02/10 11:09 AM
I feel bad that I own Fire Pro, but never actually play it. I have much more fun setting up CPU vs CPU matches and just watching them.

# 43 djordan @ 04/05/10 02:18 PM
Congrats man. You still owe me a rematch in Madden 11. I won't forget you ducking me after you beat me in our first game of Madden 05.

# 44 stephensonmc @ 04/05/10 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djordan
Congrats man. You still owe me a rematch in Madden 11. I won't forget you ducking me after you beat me in our first game of Madden 05.
Thanks dj, I appreciate it!

LOL -- Eddie George FTW!!!

# 45 LBzrule @ 04/06/10 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensonmc
That's all I ask. We all want the same thing, so now that you know that, let's have a conversation, which can be WAY more productive!
Congrats on the new position.

As for a conversation. I think one of the biggest things Smackdown vs Raw needs is to capture what wrestling is, A Spectacled Drama. The Romans loved Theater and Gladiator Battles. Wrestling combines these two spectacles and when it is done really well, while the outcomes are scripted, the spectator walks away in amazement.

# 46 EoinC417 @ 04/07/10 06:41 PM
I am so excited! Marcus will do an amazing job if he is willing to listen to the fans. I do have 3 qustions for him though:

1. What does he think of the visuals, because personally I believe they could be a lot better - UFC 2010 Undisputed is made by THQ and Yuke's and looks 10x better than SvR. Not enough improvement is being made in that aspect of the game, and I prey that you will do the SvR series justice.

2. When will there be any news about SvR2011, because I am desperate for a screenshot!

3. Fighting in the crowd sounds awesome. Tempted to include it? I'm thinking DX vs Legacy in a Submissions Count Anywhere match at Breaking Point 2009

Thanks and all the luck in the world on the next game!!

# 47 BastionBooger @ 04/08/10 12:46 PM
Hey Marcus, What are the chances of a new wrestling legends game being made?

# 48 DC @ 04/08/10 06:53 PM
Marcus will you attempt to make this series more of a wrestling simulation as opposed to the arcade nature it has had in the past?

# 49 stephensonmc @ 04/08/10 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
Marcus will you attempt to make this series more of a wrestling simulation as opposed to the arcade nature it has had in the past?
You already know my answer to that -- come on man!

# 50 stephensonmc @ 04/08/10 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BastionBooger
Hey Marcus, What are the chances of a new wrestling legends game being made?
Can't comment on stuff like that my man -- I'm specifically SvR

# 51 DC @ 04/08/10 09:05 PM
1. I just think a lot of the animations needs to be slowed down. I have always hated the way wrestlers scale the top turnbuckles in the SvR Series. SO quick even for the slower dudes.

2. Can we finally be able to edit the stats of the wrestlers? I remember back in the day that we had to use a game genie to edit their stats.

3. Booker Mode. Make it happen.

# 52 Killa_Khaos7 @ 04/09/10 02:38 AM
I have a rant to get out of me, and I wanted to drop it somewhere it'll maybe get noticed by someone to pass on somewhere....or something. I love my wrestling games, but there are some fundamental issues I'd (and a lot of the community I want to believe) like to see taken care of in SvR 11, and moving forward:

1. Weight classes, and weight detection, WE NEED THIS BACK. Crusiserweights should be able to lift cruiser, and smaller heavy weights (Orton, Edge) but nothing above that. Not HHH, not Cena, and certainly not The Big Show. Actually, NOBODY should be able to lift the Super Heavyweights until they have enough momentum to use a FINISHER SCOOP SLAM ala Hogan/Andre. I can throw The Big Show around with anyone currently, and it totally kills the realism.

2. Limb damage needs to show some real after effects, and be constant, even if it's not a submission match. If I'm working someone's leg for 5 minutes, I don't want to see them walking/running at full speed 2 minutes later, and vice versa for my character. It should affect their climbing animation/speed, and running animation/speed. Likewise for arm damage, head damage, and torso damage. I mean, No Mercy did this really well. and that was 10 years ago. Also, the KO state should be brought into play after a huge bump, or a move with KO potential. Even if you can't win the match by KO, it should keep you down for long time.

3. Selling the moves. WRESTLERS SHOULD NOT BE GETTING UP 15 SECONDS AFTER A FINISHER. The same goes for falling from a ladder, a cage, a cell, getting hit by a weapon, missing a top rope move etc. This is supposed to be a WWE simulation. The arcade nature of how fast the wrestlers get up make it really hard to set up tense moments, or big spots.

4. Resilience. Why can I finish a match with a move only 3 minutes into it against top superstars? If it's a squash, OK, fine, but I should not be able to pin a >80 wrestler before a good amount of damage has been inflicted, and even then after the 5 minute mark there should be a way for the wrestler to maybe sacrifice his finisher for the rest of the match for a last second kick out of a definite loss.

5. Weapons need a complete overhaul. They are weak (or maybe the wreslters just don't stay down), and unless you're holding them, they serve no purpose. Once again, No Mercy, a 10 year old game, allowed you to slam people on every weapon you could pick up. The weapons in SvR have no weight, no physics, and can't be used unless your holding them, or in a pre-canned animation which goes against all of the ways weapons have been used in Pro Wresting. Letting us slam wrestlers into stuff on the ground, and tables set up would increase creativity/variety 10 fold.

6. Object recognition. Ladders, tables and chairs don't just move on their own. the sliding has got to stop. Someone running next to a chair should STEP ON IT. Someone being slammed into a table should BREAK THROUGH IT. Ladders should not be sliding because people are WALKING into it. like I said before, the weapons have no weight, or feel like they are "there." This has to be updated. In a post GTAIV, and Assasin's Creed world where the character reacts to every object in front/underneath them, the SvR games look archaic in comparison.

7. THE TARGETING SYSTEM IS BROKEN. Seriously, this is so simple to fix. Assign each character (including the Ref) from 1 to 7 in the match a button on the controller. Hold L or L2 and press the corresponding button to look at that character. SIMPLE, and QUICK. look at player 2 = Hold L, and press X. Look at player 3 = Hold L, and press B, SO on and so forth.

8. AI. the AI needs to USE THEIR OPTIONS. I have literally NEVER seen an AI wrestler in SvR2010 climb to the top rope, set me up on a table, dive out the ring, break me through the announcer table, jump off the ladder, etc. etc. etc. All they do is punch, grapple, punch, grapple, punch grapple. And they're not even logical. Why climb the ladder 2 minutes into a ladder match? Why grab a table 2 seconds into a table match when you need a Signature to put me through?

9. PLEASE UPDATE THE HELL IN A CELL. It's never looked anything like the Smackdown games have had it going back to the very first time it was ever in Smackdown!

10. WEAPON WHEEL IN EVERY MATCH. WEAPON WHEEL IN EVERY MATCH. WEAPON WHEEL IN EVERY MATCH. No restrictions means more creativity, which means more longevity, which means happier player base.

There's more I could say, but I'll leave it there for now. As you can see, I'm a big fan of getting the IN RING action right before anything else. A great engine can carry a game with no career, season, GM, or online modes.

I don't hate SvR either. The create modes are better than ever before, I love how created wrestlers have alternate attires FINALLY, I love the Superstar Threads, and how we can keep wrestlers updated (slightly), the graphics are great, and the gameplay has improved, but it can be so much more. Also, the new HUD, or lack there of, is GREAT. Really cleans everything up, and allows you to focus on the match.

Honestly, I would prefer the team at THQ/Yukes don't add a SINGLE new mode, and just work on the gameplay for a whole year. Keep tuning, and adding to the IN RING action, and forget about any new match gimmicks, any new modes, etc. Getting SvR to play like a wrestling simulation should play would add so much replay value that it would feel like a new game.

# 53 Jukeman @ 04/09/10 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa_Khaos7
I have a rant to get out of me, and I wanted to drop it somewhere it'll maybe get noticed by someone to pass on somewhere....or something. I love my wrestling games, but there are some fundamental issues I'd (and a lot of the community I want to believe) like to see taken care of in SvR 11, and moving forward:

1. Weight classes, and weight detection, WE NEED THIS BACK. Crusiserweights should be able to lift cruiser, and smaller heavy weights (Orton, Edge) but nothing above that. Not HHH, not Cena, and certainly not The Big Show. Actually, NOBODY should be able to lift the Super Heavyweights until they have enough momentum to use a FINISHER SCOOP SLAM ala Hogan/Andre. I can throw The Big Show around with anyone currently, and it totally kills the realism.

2. Limb damage needs to show some real after effects, and be constant, even if it's not a submission match. If I'm working someone's leg for 5 minutes, I don't want to see them walking/running at full speed 2 minutes later, and vice versa for my character. It should affect their climbing animation/speed, and running animation/speed. Likewise for arm damage, head damage, and torso damage. I mean, No Mercy did this really well. and that was 10 years ago. Also, the KO state should be brought into play after a huge bump, or a move with KO potential. Even if you can't win the match by KO, it should keep you down for long time.

3. Selling the moves. WRESTLERS SHOULD NOT BE GETTING UP 15 SECONDS AFTER A FINISHER. The same goes for falling from a ladder, a cage, a cell, getting hit by a weapon, missing a top rope move etc. This is supposed to be a WWE simulation. The arcade nature of how fast the wrestlers get up make it really hard to set up tense moments, or big spots.

4. Resilience. Why can I finish a match with a move only 3 minutes into it against top superstars? If it's a squash, OK, fine, but I should not be able to pin a >80 wrestler before a good amount of damage has been inflicted, and even then after the 5 minute mark there should be a way for the wrestler to maybe sacrifice his finisher for the rest of the match for a last second kick out of a definite loss.

5. Weapons need a complete overhaul. They are weak (or maybe the wreslters just don't stay down), and unless you're holding them, they serve no purpose. Once again, No Mercy, a 10 year old game, allowed you to slam people on every weapon you could pick up. The weapons in SvR have no weight, no physics, and can't be used unless your holding them, or in a pre-canned animation which goes against all of the ways weapons have been used in Pro Wresting. Letting us slam wrestlers into stuff on the ground, and tables set up would increase creativity/variety 10 fold.

6. Object recognition. Ladders, tables and chairs don't just move on their own. the sliding has got to stop. Someone running next to a chair should STEP ON IT. Someone being slammed into a table should BREAK THROUGH IT. Ladders should not be sliding because people are WALKING into it. like I said before, the weapons have no weight, or feel like they are "there." This has to be updated. In a post GTAIV, and Assasin's Creed world where the character reacts to every object in front/underneath them, the SvR games look archaic in comparison.

7. THE TARGETING SYSTEM IS BROKEN. Seriously, this is so simple to fix. Assign each character (including the Ref) from 1 to 7 in the match a button on the controller. Hold L or L2 and press the corresponding button to look at that character. SIMPLE, and QUICK. look at player 2 = Hold L, and press X. Look at player 3 = Hold L, and press B, SO on and so forth.

8. AI. the AI needs to USE THEIR OPTIONS. I have literally NEVER seen an AI wrestler in SvR2010 climb to the top rope, set me up on a table, dive out the ring, break me through the announcer table, jump off the ladder, etc. etc. etc. All they do is punch, grapple, punch, grapple, punch grapple. And they're not even logical. Why climb the ladder 2 minutes into a ladder match? Why grab a table 2 seconds into a table match when you need a Signature to put me through?

9. PLEASE UPDATE THE HELL IN A CELL. It's never looked anything like the Smackdown games have had it going back to the very first time it was ever in Smackdown!

10. WEAPON WHEEL IN EVERY MATCH. WEAPON WHEEL IN EVERY MATCH. WEAPON WHEEL IN EVERY MATCH. No restrictions means more creativity, which means more longevity, which means happier player base.

There's more I could say, but I'll leave it there for now. As you can see, I'm a big fan of getting the IN RING action right before anything else. A great engine can carry a game with no career, season, GM, or online modes.

I don't hate SvR either. The create modes are better than ever before, I love how created wrestlers have alternate attires FINALLY, I love the Superstar Threads, and how we can keep wrestlers updated (slightly), the graphics are great, and the gameplay has improved, but it can be so much more. Also, the new HUD, or lack there of, is GREAT. Really cleans everything up, and allows you to focus on the match.

Honestly, I would prefer the team at THQ/Yukes don't add a SINGLE new mode, and just work on the gameplay for a whole year. Keep tuning, and adding to the IN RING action, and forget about any new match gimmicks, any new modes, etc. Getting SvR to play like a wrestling simulation should play would add so much replay value that it would feel like a new game.
THIS..

# 54 The GIGGAS @ 04/09/10 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
4. I have an idea for this but am waiting for the appropriate wishlist thread.
Why wait for a thread? Make it, then it'll be made the official one.

# 55 Killa_Khaos7 @ 04/09/10 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
1. Um no. ABSOLUTELY NOT. They NEVER got it right at all,ever. It was awful,broken and RVD couldn't even lift up...well I don't remember who it was but I remember playing the game and thinking what the hell? especially since the very next week on TV he pressed slammed the guy. (That press slam to standing moonsault he used to do) Then there's the negative effects on any sort of competitive play.

3. Normally that'd be all well and good but what do you think would happen online? More cheese. It'd be great to have it apply only offline as going online has ruined much of this series. Also I don't think this was ever supposed to be a WWE simulation.

4. I have an idea for this but am waiting for the appropriate wishlist thread.

5. Max out the slider? Seem decent enough for me. It's more the not staying down thing.
1. What? I don't even understand what you're talking about. Weight classes, and weight detection is a bad thing now? I provided examples of who should be able to lift who, and as for competitive play, the Super Heavyweights should have OBVIOUS restrictions on their class as well. Lower top speed, no top rope abilities, no dives, less Technical skill, etc. they should be a power role, and able to sponge up damage. As they are now, it's broken. Rey Mysterio, and Evan Bourne can treat The Big Show the same way The Great Khali can. That's ridiculous.

3. Honestly, i've never touched online in any wrestling game. No matter WHAT you do to the gameplay, there will be cheese, so I avoid it completely. With that said, the recovery rate as it is now is completely wrong. Superstars get up from EVERYTHING way too quickly, and it makes setting up situations hard, and the payoff for a big bump is weak. And if you think Smackdown isn't supposed to be a WWE Simulation, you might want to look a little harder at the stuff they constantly pick as bullet points to improve each year.

5. What's the point of maxing out the weapon damage slider if the wrestlers show minimal effects to getting hit by them? They're up, and ready to go with no REAL damage 10 seconds after they get hit. This isn't an arcade game. Every year they try to take steps into making the game more realistic but then half *** it when it comes to selling, and weapons. You should get ONE direct hit with a chair, then forced to drop it, and pick it up again to use it multiple times. That one hit should be damaging enough that you're not compelled to pick it up again. How often on WWE TV does someone use a chair constantly when it's not a gimmick match?

As for the last point, keep in mind that it would only work with improve resilience. The chair shots should be stronger, but ONE shot shouldn't end a gimmick match. The damage should be SHOWN though. Someone hit with a weapons should be visibly slower in speed, climbing the ropes, walking around, climbing ladders, etc.

# 56 Jukeman @ 04/10/10 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa_Khaos7
1. What? I don't even understand what you're talking about. Weight classes, and weight detection is a bad thing now? I provided examples of who should be able to lift who, and as for competitive play, the Super Heavyweights should have OBVIOUS restrictions on their class as well. Lower top speed, no top rope abilities, no dives, less Technical skill, etc. they should be a power role, and able to sponge up damage. As they are now, it's broken. Rey Mysterio, and Evan Bourne can treat The Big Show the same way The Great Khali can. That's ridiculous.

3. Honestly, i've never touched online in any wrestling game. No matter WHAT you do to the gameplay, there will be cheese, so I avoid it completely. With that said, the recovery rate as it is now is completely wrong. Superstars get up from EVERYTHING way too quickly, and it makes setting up situations hard, and the payoff for a big bump is weak. And if you think Smackdown isn't supposed to be a WWE Simulation, you might want to look a little harder at the stuff they constantly pick as bullet points to improve each year.

5. What's the point of maxing out the weapon damage slider if the wrestlers show minimal effects to getting hit by them? They're up, and ready to go with no REAL damage 10 seconds after they get hit. This isn't an arcade game. Every year they try to take steps into making the game more realistic but then half *** it when it comes to selling, and weapons. You should get ONE direct hit with a chair, then forced to drop it, and pick it up again to use it multiple times. That one hit should be damaging enough that you're not compelled to pick it up again. How often on WWE TV does someone use a chair constantly when it's not a gimmick match?

As for the last point, keep in mind that it would only work with improve resilience. The chair shots should be stronger, but ONE shot shouldn't end a gimmick match. The damage should be SHOWN though. Someone hit with a weapons should be visibly slower in speed, climbing the ropes, walking around, climbing ladders, etc.
This

There is 0 strategy in this game...

Its Wrestlemania Arcade with "realistic" animations..

# 57 Killa_Khaos7 @ 04/10/10 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
1. Yes it is bad. It's awful. As I said they NEVER got it right when they did have it and that's probably why they took it out to begin with. If they could actually get it right then fine but no they can't. They'd probably have to make them for each individual wrestler to get it right (my previous RVD example) but then what about the CAWs? Even saying HW can't do dives/top rope moves is wrong. Big Show has done a moonsault,there's Hernandez in TNA who's more than capable of jumping over the top rope,Undertaker can do it,Brock used to do a SSP (not just the one at WM where he fell on his head either),Kane has his top rop clothesline,pretty sure Test used a top rope elbow,Mike Awesome did plently off the top rope,Vader of course...then we end up with something like Orton not being able to bodyslam Batista,it just doesn't work.

3. I was agreeing and I don't play online either but that's what'll happen.
Bulletpoints? Well lesse what they had for 2010:

-Creating your own story with something like 25 letters per line so JR can get run over by a car and kidnapped by Mr. Kennedy and then murdered by Michael Cole during an episode of ECW so he can get his announcing spot on SD back which is somehow setting up a match between Umaga and Kendrick at Backlash! Also featuring ridiculous censorship if you're sharing it online and barely being able to have a CAW in a story.

-Downloading CAWs you can't even edit at all in any way and have to bulid up through 75 matches because when you download them they default to no ratings and the CAW point system is still so bad it's a pain to make even 1 anymore. On the bright side there's 50 slots!

-Top rope create-a-finisher so you can do a double spinning 360 upside down moonsault swanton.

-A new training facility.

I'd love for it to be sim but it's not.

5. Well it still does more damage.
1. The Big Show hasn't done a moonsault in something like 10 years, and he wasn't a Super heavyweight back then either. Come on now. And I meant SUPER HEAVIES shouldn't be able to dive. Undertaker, Brock, Hernandez, Test etc. are heavyweights. There's a pretty big difference. And why wouldn't Randy Orton be able to lift Batista? They are both heavyweights. You're thinking too far into it man. I just want weight classes with OBVIOUS differences, and a weight detection system according to THOSE WEIGHT CLASSES. The same rules should apply to the CAWs too. The system is really not that hard to figure out or implement, and they were heading in the right direction when it was in there. It's an overarching system I'm talking about, not something on a wrestler to wrestler basis.

PS, they messed up with RVD because of the lack of a "Middleweight." RVD isn't REALLY a Heavy, but definitely isn't a Cruiser. As it stands currently, he should be under heavyweight.

3. Well you chose the one year they decided to make it "Our World" . OK, forget bullet points then. Everything they do to the gameplay tells me that they skew more toward TRYING to create a simulation, but the points I've been talking about completely take away from that.

# 58 Killa_Khaos7 @ 04/11/10 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
Because they'd screw it up,that's why. You'd think it wouldn't be hard to figure out but apprently it is. See if RVD was a heavyweight his speed would be capped at 8 then he wouldn't be able to do half of his moveset. Then there's the whole "diva" mess. Awesome Kong would have strength capped at 6 for example and because she's a diva that means any other one would be able to lift her,something tells me Tiffany couldn't do that. Then there's the people that like to make various super heroes/movie characters etc. Spider-Man is hardly anything over crusier. But since they got rid of it I'm guessing it'll stay gone anyway.

Well if they're trying they need to try harder.
I'd rather them screw up and learn from their mistakes to MAKE it work then not trying to implement the things I hoped for.

Once again, a "Middleweight" class would solve all of the RVD problems cause honestly, that's where people like him, HBK, Jericho, Punk, etc. belong.

As for the women, give them their own standards. A 10 in diva's strength like Kong, or Beth Phoenix would be totally different from a male 10 like The Big Show, or Khali. It's not like we can have men fight women anyway so what's the difference?

# 59 donkey33 @ 04/11/10 11:32 PM
I admit I had some great times with No Mercy just pounding on a guy and watching him stay down on the floor with a spasm whilst I launch from ladders and anywhere else. I swear they were dead sometimes.

# 60 Killa_Khaos7 @ 04/12/10 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey33
I admit I had some great times with No Mercy just pounding on a guy and watching him stay down on the floor with a spasm whilst I launch from ladders and anywhere else. I swear they were dead sometimes.
Exactly. That stuff was great. I personally loved KO'ing people with the Clothesline From Hell during a grueling match, and set up a big bump while they are laid out for 2 minutes. It was NEVER a problem between human opponents but beating the AI to a pulp until they got literally KNOCKED OUT made the match that much more epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
They already learned from their screw ups,that's why they took it out.
Taking it out was a cop out to problems they had with it the same way that Bioware dealt with anything the masses complained about with Mass Effect 2. Taking it out does not always make everything better. If they had tried to WORK WITH IT, they could gotten it right the next year. Having weight classes, and having the game play with a class based mentality overall will HELP the game become better and more strategic, and will also HELP THE ONLINE PORTION OF THE GAME. Limiting the ratings/abilities based on weight class on CAWs will prevent 100 rated superstars, and make things more balanced.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.