Home
News Post

Quote:
"Some of you may already be familiar with Marcus Stephenson. He has been around for quite some time driving community initiatives or just being accessible within the community. After running a Madden fan site for years he took a position as a Community Manager at the EA Canada studio before moving between a few different projects, most notably as a Producer on NBA Live 10. He has now left the EA Sports studio and holds the position of Game Designer for WWE Smackdown vs Raw at THQ. I had the opportunity to ask Marcus a few questions about his time at EA and his new role at THQ."

Source: Pasta Padre

Member Comments
# 81 stephensonmc @ 04/15/10 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
Just to jump back to the weight thing for a second because I forgot this point earlier...

Any other sports game you can fully edit players however you like. If you want Shaq to have 99 speed and throw behind the back passes 99% of the time you can.
I know what you mean bro, no worries.

# 82 DC @ 04/16/10 10:21 AM
1. I think ANY move that is in the AKI/ASMIK games should be in this game. Smackdown always seemed to have a shortage of moves at our disposal.

2. Not sure if you have played King of Colleseum, but they have preset created-wrestlers already on the disk. Maybe 100+ preset caps. Much like NBA Live 96 where you had to type in the name and their likeness/ratings automatically popped up. It would be nice to see certain classic wrestlers placed into that "section."

# 83 Pared @ 04/16/10 11:05 AM
lol This game is going to end up having John Cena with a 3pt. shot rating. All the suggestions keep going back to basketball.

Please don't forget to make sure Dwight Howard has his frog splash.

# 84 DC @ 04/16/10 11:16 AM
hahahahahahahahahahahahah

# 85 stephensonmc @ 04/16/10 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
lol This game is going to end up having John Cena with a 3pt. shot rating. All the suggestions keep going back to basketball.

Please don't forget to make sure Dwight Howard has his frog splash.
Don't confuse me

# 86 DC @ 04/16/10 01:05 PM
Are you trying to make this into more of a sim wrestling game?

# 87 stephensonmc @ 04/17/10 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
Are you trying to make this into more of a sim wrestling game?
always

# 88 lgxjames @ 04/17/10 04:08 PM
Playing the SvR series for so long (although I skipped a few years before 10) I don't think I have a clue what a Sim wrestling game is... Infact my brain can't even wrap around a thought of what a sim wrestling game is suppose to be like

# 89 Jukeman @ 04/17/10 04:41 PM
Re weight detection:

is more than Rey being able/not able to body slam Big Show

No way Rey should be able to handle Big Should like he's a luchador...Example, Rey pulling off a PERFECT Flip Hurricarrana on Big Show

Or Big Show doing a back flip as a reversal...

Is weight retrictions the answer? Who knows but atleast give guys special animations...

# 90 Jukeman @ 04/17/10 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgxjames
Playing the SvR series for so long (although I skipped a few years before 10) I don't think I have a clue what a Sim wrestling game is... Infact my brain can't even wrap around a thought of what a sim wrestling game is suppose to be like
A true simulation of actual wrestling...SvR never simulated what actually happens in a WWE ring or broadcast...

Its been 'beat em up" until you get a finisher(sometimes you dont even need a finisher; I've won matches with a basic suplex 3 minutes into a match..)

Sim doesn't = realistic

# 91 lgxjames @ 04/17/10 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
A true simulation of actual wrestling...SvR never simulated what actually happens in a WWE ring or broadcast...

Its been 'beat em up" until you get a finisher(sometimes you dont even need a finisher; I've won matches with a basic suplex 3 minutes into a match..)

Sim doesn't = realistic
Yea these are my points, when Steph says his goal is simulation I can't even make believe what that's suppose to be, Will matches be more about story telling, actually selling moves, (weight detection)...

# 92 J_Posse @ 04/19/10 05:45 PM
I think Yukes/THQ had a good idea with the various wrestler styles. But, the idea should be expanded upon to other areas of the game. The first place it should be expand to is the reversal animations the various wrestlers can execute. Jack Swagger (technical) should have a different set of reversal animations from Big Show (Super Heavy) or Rey Mysterio Jr. (luchador/high-flyer). Similar to how the wrestlers were handled in Wrestlemania 2000/No Mercy.

Or, THQ/Yukes could just go to the Day of Reckoning gameplay-style. It wasn't perfect, but it was the closes thing to No Mercy in sometime.

Oh, and make sure the belts are scaled better. They seem to be a little smaller than real life. And, have the Unified Tag Team Championships worn how ShowMiz, DX, Jericho/Edge and the Colon brothers have worn them.

# 93 threattonature @ 04/21/10 01:19 AM
I would love to see the moves in levels that have to be built up to, and for it to be based off the amount of damage your opponent has taken. Once a wrestler hits yellow or orange they are able to be hit with strong grapples, and once a wrestler hits red they are vulnerable to being hit with a smackdown.

Also I would like health to slowly recover for everyone as they hit their own moves and if they go a while without damage, especially in traditional tag matches.

The mechanics for turnbuckle moves I wish was a bit different as well. I wish there was a way to trigger them from the ground, especially in multi man matches where it's so easy for your wrestler to lose focus or someone to pick them up.

# 94 DC @ 04/21/10 09:38 AM
^ Exactly. Also how fire pro wrestling works. We shouldn't be able to just start the match off with a brainbuster or a power bomb.

Maybe ARCADE vs SIMULATION mode can help this out.

Also can we include a button that changes the focus of the opponent(s) you want to target? Much like old AKI Wrestling games.

# 95 threattonature @ 04/21/10 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
^ Exactly. Also how fire pro wrestling works. We shouldn't be able to just start the match off with a brainbuster or a power bomb.

Maybe ARCADE vs SIMULATION mode can help this out.

Also can we include a button that changes the focus of the opponent(s) you want to target? Much like old AKI Wrestling games.
They actually had the manual target change in the last game, you just had to go in and change default options. It still could've used a little work but was a lot better.

# 96 Jukeman @ 04/21/10 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by threattonature
I would love to see the moves in levels that have to be built up to, and for it to be based off the amount of damage your opponent has taken. Once a wrestler hits yellow or orange they are able to be hit with strong grapples, and once a wrestler hits red they are vulnerable to being hit with a smackdown.

Also I would like health to slowly recover for everyone as they hit their own moves and if they go a while without damage, especially in traditional tag matches.

The mechanics for turnbuckle moves I wish was a bit different as well. I wish there was a way to trigger them from the ground, especially in multi man matches where it's so easy for your wrestler to lose focus or someone to pick them up.
I like this,

it would work perfect with flash finishers, flash kickouts and pins!

Flash kickouts= when your guy is red in damage and your opp hits a finisher, goes for the pin and gets a 2.9 on a for sure victory

Flash pins= one of those "steal" wins from like a school boy rollup, small package or leg on ropes type of deal

Flash finishers= I still think you should be able to recieve a finisher at any given time, but the success of landing it should be slim when your opp is fresh...Finishers should do alot more damage(any move should get a bonus in damage when you place it as a finisher/sig/fav move) lol some finishers in SVR10 is weak as a dropkick

# 97 DC @ 04/21/10 12:33 PM
^ Basically the critical system in Fire Pro Wrestling.

Example:

# 98 Jukeman @ 04/21/10 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
^ Basically the critical system in Fire Pro Wrestling.

Example:

nice!

I actually have 2 copies of FPWR(US x Jap) but never really played the game lol

mainly do to the fact I gave my PS2 away to my sister..

Waiting to get a PS3

Also I think damage shouldnt determind who's winning the match...Damage should work like how energy is going to work in UFC 10...

Lots of leg damage = slower, more likely to not being able to get out of a figure 4 leg lock for example...

Ribs= not able to do some of the moves that requires lifting your opp, not able to reverse/block some moves

and etc..

Thats a classic HBK PPV match!

In fact, I dont think Ive seen a wrestler dominate a match since Brock Lesnar..

The game should be momemtom based

# 99 stephensonmc @ 04/22/10 11:14 AM
interesting thought goh

# 100 DC @ 04/22/10 11:19 AM
I think the game already follows the logic that each body part has it's own separate damage meter. If not it should be:

Head
Neck
Upper Torso
Arms
Legs

EACH move should have strength points (0-10) in terms of what body part's they target.
IE.... Brainbuster: Head - 7; Neck - 5

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.