Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

IGN has posted the first Madden NFL 11 screenshots, as well as the first details on the game.

Quote:
"Not only will players recognize the boundaries of the field, but Cummings also said that they'd be fully aware of the location of first down markers. "We have specifically tuned and added support to make it so receivers wait for the ball on a curl and have awareness for the first down. Also, receivers will now be working to catch the ball in stride on crossing routes so they don't end up slowing down or losing yardage," said Cummings. He later conceded that receivers will occasionally lose yardage if it means coming back to the ball and avoiding an interception. I, for one, can live with that.

But what about defense? It seems with all this newfound firepower for the offense, the defensive guys might have fallen by the wayside. Cummings assured us that wasn't the case, saying, "We never want to make it so the offense is too powerful, so we have really focused on giving the defenders the ability to go up and also knock the ball out in mid-air. We've added all new animations for mid-air collisions so defenders have an even better ability to get up with a receiver and fight for the ball. With recent changes, players will definitely play the ball more aggressively, but the elite guys are the ones who are going to be able to hang on to it." So while you'll see wide receivers like Larry Fitzgerald going up in traffic and coming down with an astounding grab, there's certainly the opportunity for defenders like Ed Reed to make you sorry you ever tried working the ball into the middle of the field."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 jake125 @ 03/23/10 04:25 PM
They actually have some facial expressions, they don't look quite so much like zombies.

# 22 XtremeDunkz @ 03/23/10 04:26 PM
that second picture scares me a lot, not too happy so far.

# 23 Manbearpig @ 03/23/10 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremedunkz
that second picture scares me a lot, not too happy so far.
yep that picture looks HORRIBLE

# 24 Kevin26385 @ 03/23/10 04:29 PM
This gets rid of the flip catch animation:
http://twitter.com/ian_cummings/status/10942214016

# 25 soxnut1018 @ 03/23/10 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer23
i think i may skip on this madden.
Really? It's March.

# 26 shadthedad @ 03/23/10 04:29 PM
It looks good. I just hope while they're improving receiver artificial intelligence, they add true precision passing. Their is only a handful of good QB's in the league, but anyone who plays Madden can go 27-29, 360 yards passing. Mr. Ian Cummings...please make quarterbacking a skill.

# 27 Manbearpig @ 03/23/10 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev5890
This gets rid of the flip catch animation:
http://twitter.com/ian_cummings/status/10942214016
they said the same thing last year and the second vid says differently, call me a skeptic

# 28 shadthedad @ 03/23/10 04:32 PM
I agree guys. The second picture (Boldin) looks to show the mid-air collision animation, but we really don't know for certain. It's still a freeze frame.

# 29 Manbearpig @ 03/23/10 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadthedad
I agree guys. The second picture (Boldin) looks to show the mid-air collision animation, but we really don't know for certain. It's still a freeze frame.
even if it is not that animation, it still looks like unrealistic crap

# 30 Joborule @ 03/23/10 04:38 PM
Some info finally, good to hear.

Glad to hear they're retuning the receiver ball catching logic. It's kind of risky throwing the ball to the sidelines or deep in the corner of the red zone because either the QB throws it too far, or the receiver doesn't play it properly. Same stuff with first downs. I normally have to hot route the receiver to go to the first down markers. Hopefully if it's 3 & 7 or more and my receiver runs a slant, he would angle himself to the first down marker or work on driving up the field right when he makes the catch in order to reach the marker.

The receivers coming back to get the ball so the defender doesn't pick it off hopefully means that they are more aggressive at getting the ball and battling for it in the air by jumping more often. Both of those occurring would lead to more jump ball catches which don't occur enough. And of course no more forcing receiver to come back to get the ball. This includes defenders taking chances and being aggressive for going out to get the ball if they are aware of the ball and can make a play on it, AND catch it. Less dropped easy picks please.

I'm glad that they're fixing around the mid-air collisions so they look more realistic. The mid air flips look pretty arcadish by happening to frequently. The screen cap of the defender doesn't look all that great though as he's too stiff in the air for the animation. Looks robotic rather then organic and natural. Maybe it'll look better when played out during game.

Looking forward to the blog tomorrow.

On a side note, kinda disappointed the grass is pretty 2Dish/flat flat still.

# 31 RGiles36 @ 03/23/10 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
so far not much to write home about. Screens dont look that great, info sounds like something that should have already been in the game or fixed through a patch. Unless they drop the price of Madden, this game is not worth $60 for updated rosters and tweaked glitches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer23
i think i may skip on this madden.
My gosh! Already? Off one blog?

# 32 lgxjames @ 03/23/10 04:45 PM
Another blog tomorrow eh?? i can go for that!

# 33 bigsmallwood @ 03/23/10 04:45 PM
Nothing interesting so far.....I'm hoping that Madden doesn't disappoint this year....They have better come with something much better than this....I am giving Ian and crew until E3 to show me what they are going to REALLY do with Madden 11. Time is ticking

# 34 lolfalconsbeatu @ 03/23/10 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Harder for the receiver to come down with ball?

Pretty much any deep pass you threw, no matter how badly the DB was beat, the defender would take the receiver's legs out from behind, make him do a back flip, and dislodge the ball. How many more dropped balls do you want lol?
ok, maybe the animation that your talking about right now sucks -- but overall, the defense is definitely not on the offenses level. Man coverage is still broke, the WR/DB interaction clearly wasn't up to par (not only in my opinion), but clearly the EA teams since it is the first 'real' news we are getting about Madden '11.

If you think that overall the WR is at a disadvantage as is right now, thats cool with me -- just as long as EA doesn't think so.

# 35 PantherBeast_OS @ 03/23/10 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolfalconsbeatu
very nice, thanks for posting! This first animation looks great -- I have seen that second one before tho...but i hope EA is serious about improving the defense and making it harder for the WRs to come down with the ball more than not...can wait to hear more info
Try playing the AI on all pro my friend. It's very hard to even catch a pass agaist the AI on all pro and above. I hope Ian and his crew reworks the AI to do less INT crap like in the past. It is still a big problem playing agaist the AI. But good first info IGN.

# 36 PantherBeast_OS @ 03/23/10 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Harder for the receiver to come down with ball?

Pretty much any deep pass you threw, no matter how badly the DB was beat, the defender would take the receiver's legs out from behind, make him do a back flip, and dislodge the ball. How many more dropped balls do you want lol?
Agrees on that my friend. They really need to make the ratings count this year for all players. Say if the AI team I play agaist has a CB that is startin a decent rating as a rookie CB. I don't want to see the AI rookie CB just coming out and playing like a star CB agaist a top vet WR in steve smith and during evering thing perfect agaist him. I want to see rookie CB get burnt down feild depending on coverage knowledge and so on. Ratings to the AI team means nothing right now. That is one of the main problems when playing the AI on all pro.

# 37 CreatineKasey @ 03/23/10 04:58 PM
I hope the catch logic includes WR with the capability of going up for spectacular catches the logic to do so. Outside of R-stick use, you couldn't use "Y" very reliably to jump up and catch balls. Going up for higher throws is a weapon that is under-represented in Madden right now. Hopefully this indicates a change!

# 38 lolfalconsbeatu @ 03/23/10 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherbeast
Try playing the AI on all pro my friend. It's very hard to even catch a pass agaist the AI on all pro and above. I hope Ian and his crew reworks the AI to do less INT crap like in the past. It is still a big problem playing agaist the AI. But good first info IGN.
But look at where im coming from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing2022000
But what about defense? It seems with all this newfound firepower for the offense, the defensive guys might have fallen by the wayside. Cummings assured us that wasn't the case, saying, "We never want to make it so the offense is too powerful, so we have really focused on giving the defenders the ability to go up and also knock the ball out in mid-air. We've added all new animations for mid-air collisions so defenders have an even better ability to get up with a receiver and fight for the ball. With recent changes, players will definitely play the ball more aggressively, but the elite guys are the ones who are going to be able to hang on to it." So while you'll see wide receivers like Larry Fitzgerald going up in traffic and coming down with an astounding grab, there's certainly the opportunity for defenders like Ed Reed to make you sorry you ever tried working the ball into the middle of the field."
its clear that I'm not the only person that feels like the DB's are far less superior to the offense and the WRs. I understand that you are saying that playing on all pro may be more difficult, but I still don't fear the CPU AI DB's, and apparently EA doesn't either.

# 39 BlueNGold @ 03/23/10 05:01 PM
Nice. I like it.

I agree the 2nd pic looks awkward to say the least but FINALLY sideline catches. All the other details of the awareness of receivers is awesome and much needed as well. Hopefully jump balls also made their way in to the WR improvements.

Good first piece of info.

# 40 econoodle @ 03/23/10 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsoxguy12
Sounds good....it's something Madden has needed for years.

true.
i always wondered why sideline recognition wasnt in past games.
a receiver not knowing where the out of bounds line is.

wouldnt it be the same things as an end zone?
the receivers know when they cross that line, but never the sidelines.

until now.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.