Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

IGN has posted the first Madden NFL 11 screenshots, as well as the first details on the game.

Quote:
"Not only will players recognize the boundaries of the field, but Cummings also said that they'd be fully aware of the location of first down markers. "We have specifically tuned and added support to make it so receivers wait for the ball on a curl and have awareness for the first down. Also, receivers will now be working to catch the ball in stride on crossing routes so they don't end up slowing down or losing yardage," said Cummings. He later conceded that receivers will occasionally lose yardage if it means coming back to the ball and avoiding an interception. I, for one, can live with that.

But what about defense? It seems with all this newfound firepower for the offense, the defensive guys might have fallen by the wayside. Cummings assured us that wasn't the case, saying, "We never want to make it so the offense is too powerful, so we have really focused on giving the defenders the ability to go up and also knock the ball out in mid-air. We've added all new animations for mid-air collisions so defenders have an even better ability to get up with a receiver and fight for the ball. With recent changes, players will definitely play the ball more aggressively, but the elite guys are the ones who are going to be able to hang on to it." So while you'll see wide receivers like Larry Fitzgerald going up in traffic and coming down with an astounding grab, there's certainly the opportunity for defenders like Ed Reed to make you sorry you ever tried working the ball into the middle of the field."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 bang911 @ 03/23/10 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
true.
i always wondered why sideline recognition wasnt in past games.
a receiver not knowing where the out of bounds line is.

wouldnt it be the same things as an end zone?
the receivers know when they cross that line, but never the sidelines.

until now.
Will the two feet in bounds be RULED correctly this year? It seems like the past few years have very random with calling catches in/out of bounds.

# 42 TreyIM2 @ 03/23/10 05:24 PM
Good to hear about this modification and I want to see how it pans out. Hopefully, things will come to fruition this time around. I really hope that odd,"defender going up and missing an INT then magically turns around in mid air to make a tackle on the player who caught the ball, all in one motion" animation is erradicated with this new tech.
Also, it's already good to hear that the flip tackle from behind is supposedly gone thanks to this tech.

Looking forward to the blog, tomorrow.

# 43 splff3000 @ 03/23/10 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule

The receivers coming back to get the ball so the defender doesn't pick it off hopefully means that they are more aggressive at getting the ball and battling for it in the air by jumping more often.
Huh? How did you get that, from this:

Quote:
We have specifically tuned and added support to make it so receivers wait for the ball on a curl and have awareness for the first down.
I read that as the opposite of what you're thinking. I read that to mean that the WR was gonna just stand there on curl routes. Also, I don't think I like the idea of the receivers running their route to the first down marker on their own. Each play has a certain design and should be followed. If the play calls for a 5yd curl, then I want the receiver to run a 5 yd curl. If I want him to run it to the first down marker, I will play maker him to run his route to the first down marker. The only time I wouldn't mind this is on option routes. I can assume that route based passing isn't in this years version either since receivers routes are gonna be varied, that means you're gonna have to wait until they make their break before you can throw the ball.

Technically, I guess you can call this info, but personally, I would have never said anything about this if I were EA, especially since they said almost the exact same thing last year and wasn't able to deliver. All that does is make skeptics, like myself, wonder if they actually did fix it. Even the author of the article sounds like he doesn't fully believe it's right lol:

Quote:
It's always exciting when we first start hearing about new features and improvements to the classic Madden formula, and while better catching is something that we've heard before from EA Sports, it sounds as though they're finally putting an adequate amount of development resources behind one of finer points of football.
Having said all of that, that first pic of Austin looks awesome!!! If they actually do have sideline and back of the endzone catches fixed this year, then it's gonna awesome. I'll reserve judgement on that though until I see videos of actual games getting played.

That second pic looks horrible. I don't know why Ian even let marketing release that. I'm not gonna criticize the devs for it or anything right now because there is plenty of time to fix it before August, but yeah, that looks bad.

So, I'm ok with the "news" that was released. I'm not impressed or anything since, like the author said, we've been promised this before, but it's better than no news I guess. Like Rgiles, I hope the blog is about something different or at least has in game video of these sideline catches. ** crosses fingers**

# 44 Only1LT @ 03/23/10 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolfalconsbeatu
But look at where im coming from...

its clear that I'm not the only person that feels like the DB's are far less superior to the offense and the WRs. I understand that you are saying that playing on all pro may be more difficult, but I still don't fear the CPU AI DB's, and apparently EA doesn't either.
In real life the offense has the advantage, so why should a sim be any different. They know the route, they know the timing, and they know the adjustments to make based off of any coverage they are shown, because they practice them to death. Let's not forget that WRs, by and large, are more skilled than DBs. Many DBS are failed WRs.

I don't care what defense you are talking about. 85' Bears. 2000 Ravens. 2002 Bucs. Steel Curtain. Whoever. You will not play man all game and have any chance to win unless you are getting a great rush on the QB. Zero. There is a reason why they say that any QB with time will pick you apart, because it's true. Aside from a handful of people in the history of the NFL, a DB can not lock his man down for more than a couple seconds.

Now I went off on a tangent I know, and my original point wasn't that I felt that the DBs had a huge advantage on 10, just that the propensity of dropped balls off of a ridiculously moronic animation that is not even physically possible, is totally unrealistic, and I don't like the sound of them saying that they are focusing on making even more animations to knock the ball out. If it is done in a realistic fashion then fine, but I have little confidence in that based on last year, that's all.

I will tell you what is realistic. If you play man and you don't get to the QB, you will get carved up like it's Thanksgiving and Christmas morphed into one holiday. Not saying that there are no issues with man to man on 10, but I think that most people have an unrealistic expectation of DBs being able to lock down the man in front of them. If it has to be broken one way, I'd rather it be that man hardly works then that it is overly effective. Not realistic. In real life, even when they blitz, teams still use a lot of zone. Jets had the best D statistically last year, and their D got undressed by Peyton Manning in the playoffs. Why? No pressure.

# 45 Bgamer90 @ 03/23/10 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
If you like paying $60 for updated rosters and minor tweaks then thats your business but this first bit of info was a flop IMO. Especially because a lot of it is stuff they promised in the past that didnt deliver.

The more i think about it, the more this info frustrates me that its Madden 2011 that this stuff FINALLY is in? Thats what i'm sick of. Madden has been on the next gen systems for a while now and the game is still medicore, yet they continue to make minor improvements each year, market the crap out of them and major changes and then get away with robbing everyone of their $60.

I'm sorry but that's Ultra-freakin' ridiculous.

First of all, it's the first real news about the game. If you were expecting something really big then I don't really know what to say to you. Also you are acting like it's August of this year and they have already said a boat load of new features... all they have said so far are maybe 4-5 things (mostly minor) being added to the game so of course M11 so far looks like nothing more than M10 with updated rosters and minor tweaks.

Also it's funny... when they don't add something "EA is lazy!" but when they do add something "EA is just doing this now?!?!? What the... it took EA this long to get it in?!!?!?"

I'm really getting sick of the "catch 22-ness".

# 46 CreatineKasey @ 03/23/10 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
In real life the offense has the advantage, so why should a sim be any different. They know the route, they know the timing, and they know the adjustments to make based off of any coverage they are shown, because they practice them to death. Let's not forget that WRs, by and large, are more skilled than DBs. Many DBS are failed WRs.

I don't care what defense you are talking about. 85' Bears. 2000 Ravens. 2002 Bucs. Steel Curtain. Whoever. You will not play man all game and have any chance to win unless you are getting a great rush on the QB. Zero. There is a reason why they say that any QB with time will pick you apart, because it's true. Aside from a handful of people in the history of the NFL, a DB can not lock his man down for more than a couple seconds.

Now I went off on a tangent I know, and my original point wasn't that I felt that the DBs had a huge advantage on 10, just that the propensity of dropped balls off of a ridiculously moronic animation that is not even physically possible, is totally unrealistic, and I don't like the sound of them saying that they are focusing on making even more animations to knock the ball out. If it is done in a realistic fashion then fine, but I have little confidence in that based on last year, that's all.

I will tell you what is realistic. If you play man and you don't get to the QB, you will get carved up like it's Thanksgiving and Christmas morphed into one holiday. Not saying that there are no issues with man to man on 10, but I think that most people have an unrealistic expectation of DBs being able to lock down the man in front of them. If it has to be broken one way, I'd rather it be that man hardly works then that it is overly effective. Not realistic. In real life, even when they blitz, teams still use a lot of zone. Jets had the best D statistically last year, and their D got undressed by Peyton Manning in the playoffs. Why? No pressure.
I agree about the man D. If you don't pressure the QB, it's trouble.

# 47 splff3000 @ 03/23/10 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolfalconsbeatu

its clear that I'm not the only person that feels like the DB's are far less superior to the offense and the WRs. I understand that you are saying that playing on all pro may be more difficult, but I still don't fear the CPU AI DB's, and apparently EA doesn't either.
Whoa!! You're not playing on All Pro and you're complaining about the defense? I don't normally say things like this, but you need to bump it up to All Pro or All Madden, then complain. While, I don't think it's as hard as Pantherbeast said it was to complete a pass, it is definitely more difficult than Pro or rookie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolish813
Am I the only 1 that has seen sideline catches before. I have heard No New News. There is no video clip. Why? Graphics and engine have not changed so there should be one. I have seen both of those animations in Madden 10. Haven't you? Wasn't last year fight for every yard? Once the ball is caught i'm in control. Isn't it up to me to turn upfield. You know what... whatever.
I have a million dollar mansion and a jet for sale for $500. Cash only. I'm taking pre orders now.
lol so true. Can I get in on some of that mansion and jet action?

# 48 Only1LT @ 03/23/10 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolish813
Am I the only 1 that has seen sideline catches before. I have heard No New News. There is no video clip. Why? Graphics and engine have not changed so there should be one. I have seen both of those animations in Madden 10. Haven't you? Wasn't last year fight for every yard? Once the ball is caught i'm in control. Isn't it up to me to turn upfield. You know what... whatever.
I have a million dollar mansion and a jet for sale for $500. Cash only. I'm taking pre orders now.
Yes, but have you ever seen that animation with that new spiffy Miles Austin face scan????? That is the question lol.

# 49 Bgamer90 @ 03/23/10 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
Those arent great annimations
lol, how can you tell when it's a picture and not a video?

# 50 PantherBeast_OS @ 03/23/10 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
Whoa!! You're not playing on All Pro and you're complaining about the defense? I don't normally say things like this, but you need to bump it up to All Pro or All Madden, then complain. While, I don't think it's as hard as Pantherbeast said it was to complete a pass, it is definitely more difficult than Pro or rookie.

lol so true. Can I get in on some of that mansion and jet action?
Well you know what I mean. It seems when the game is on all pro. The AI is always perfect just about on everything is does agaist you on D. If the AI DB is 5 to 7 yards off my WR, and I run a curl route. It seems the AI is always there to knock it away are int it most of the time. Are there is alway 2 are 3 defenders around the ball everytime I throw it to a spot. The AI just needs to be reworked some to make misteaks and not know every little move we make and all. You know what I mean by that I guess.

# 51 swiftychampleone @ 03/23/10 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90

I'm sorry but that's Ultra-freakin' ridiculous.

First of all, it's the first real news about the game. If you were expecting something really big then I don't really know what to say to you. Also you are acting like it's August of this year and they have already said a boat load of new features... all they have said so far are maybe 4-5 things (mostly minor) being added to the game so of course M11 so far looks like nothing more than M10 with updated rosters and minor tweaks.

Also it's funny... when they don't add something "EA is lazy!" but when they do add something "EA is just doing this now?!?!? What the... it took EA this long to get it in?!!?!?"

I'm really getting sick of the "catch 22-ness".
Not to encourage negativity, but I feel where he's coming from. The last good Madden was 05 and I haven't bought one since then. It's like waiting on a person that's running late and when they show up it's like, "About time!" You know how it is, man.

# 52 Deli @ 03/23/10 05:56 PM
Is this going to actually appear in the game this year? Or is this similar to the developer blogs from last year?

# 53 splff3000 @ 03/23/10 05:56 PM
Quote:
No i didnt expect something crazy for 1st release of info but i also didnt expect something that they said was in the game 2 years ago. I expected them to maybe mention something about the playbooks or something along those lines but this is something that should have been in a long time ago.

And people complain about stuff not being in because a lot of it is stuff that was either in or should be in by now that was either removed or still hasn't been added.

When they tell us about something like this years ago, and finally now actually get it in the game, we have a right to be pissed. I shouldn't sit back and say well at least they finally got it in. Thats just a piss poor job and laziness by them for saying it was in before but only now getting it right.

I had the same attitude you do for the past few years. I sat back, waited for the good stuff, bought into the little things they were saying to us and thinking that was a sign that they were really moving in the right direction but 5 years later we still have a mediocre football game.

MLB the Show has baseball done right, NBA 2k10 has basketball done right, Fifa has soccer done right, yet the most popular game in the U.S. and we're still stuck with a mediocre representation from what is supposed to be one of the top developers for one of the biggest franchises around.

There is no excuse for EA to continue putting out such a mediocre football game, none.
I agree with this. While, I'm not pissed and I don't think EA is lazy, I don't think they should even be touting this as info, since it seems like they've been touting this same info for years. I don't know how everyone just assumes that it actually IS fixed when they've been saying it's fixed for years. I guess all they needed to do was post a pic and mention the name of some technology and now everyone believes it fixed now. I don't understand. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the info, but after last year, I don't understand how anyone can just believe that something is fixed or in the game before you actually see it in game.

# 54 green94 @ 03/23/10 05:57 PM
Quote:
Still looks like the same Madden to me. Those arent great annimations, and the players and grass,etc all look the same. Chances of me buying 2011 are about .0009%
You'll end up buying it, just like 95% of the people here that say this year after year.

Graphics look like they took a hit to me, hopefully that means the sidelines and crowds got some much needed attention this year.

Any info in March is good for me.

# 55 adub88 @ 03/23/10 05:57 PM
Quote:
Still looks like the same Madden to me. Those arent great annimations, and the players and grass,etc all look the same. Chances of me buying 2011 are about .0009%
Ditto, I don't care if they're just screens or not. That looks like same ugly animation that is in Madden '10. I'm not even buying the game until I see some fluid animations and not robotic looking animations. 2k5 still has better animations, why can't we do better in 2010? I just don't understand.

# 56 Niners_Fan_15 @ 03/23/10 05:59 PM
They still got awhile to polish the animations and tweak with the graphics but am i the only one not impressed with the graphics? They....well...unimpressive.

# 57 lolfalconsbeatu @ 03/23/10 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT

ok me and you are on the same page for the most part than.

You are correct about the offense naturally having the advantage over a defense in real life. But what about the the dude online who runes drags the ENTIRE game and my DB just doesn't get it? Oh and than all of a sudden runs a slant? Or that 5 yard out route that cant be stopped because the user can turn it into a RC(rocket catch)?

I guess what I'm really getting at, is where is that "Adaptive Awareness" that was suppose to not allow you to run the same plays Over and Over without even stretching the field? I know you mention before the backflip animation that the WR does when going deep is ridiculous (and it really is)...but im pretty sure you have adjusted your game to run 5-10 yard routes to get you by because you know the "Adaptive AI" that the DBs were suppose to have are a joke, and you cant go deep..so it is what it is...

All I'm saying is that the DBs do need to get better and knock more passes down ESPECIALLY if the same plays are being ran. If dude keeps running drags, slants, and hitches, my DBs should cheat and shut down everything underneath if my opponent refuses to go deep.

Sorry for going on a rant, after promising I wouldn't -- but in a nutshell, the DBs need to be smarter, period.

# 58 kjcheezhead @ 03/23/10 06:04 PM
I like that they chose this for their first info because gameplay is easily one the worst parts of this game to me and I'd rather have this than a screen shot showing animated shoe strings and hand warmers.

I also gotta say I'm not that excited about it tho because I heard all this stuff before....many,many,many....many times. August will be the test of whether I buy the game or not but this did nothing to improve the odds that I will.

# 59 lolfalconsbeatu @ 03/23/10 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000

lol I am playing on all-pro. I don't play anything but online ranked matches, so my bad if I wasn't clear in my post...but the DBs do not scare me on All-pro or all madden. I've got some money players (not cheating plays), but normal slants, drags, and hitches, and that "adaptive ai" didn't seem to really kick in this yeah, imo...

# 60 Bgamer90 @ 03/23/10 06:05 PM
Quote:
No i didnt expect something crazy for 1st release of info but i also didnt expect something that they said was in the game 2 years ago. I expected them to maybe mention something about the playbooks or something along those lines but this is something that should have been in a long time ago.
I don't see this as just "we are fixing problems with sideline catching". This sounds much more like it's for multiple situations. You can always make something better than how it was previously so the "I heard it all before" mindset isn't the same as mines.

Quote:
And people complain about stuff not being in because a lot of it is stuff that was either in or should be in by now that was either removed or still hasn't been added.

When they tell us about something like this years ago, and finally now actually get it in the game, we have a right to be pissed. I shouldn't sit back and say well at least they finally got it in. Thats just a piss poor job and laziness by them for saying it was in before but only now getting it right.
I guess I was just raised differently then lol. I will get mad if something isn't added and if it is taking a long time for it to be added but when it is finally added, while I may think "it's about time", I'm not going to get mad. I mean really... what's the point? If you are going to act the same way as you did before then they might as well not even put it in the game.

Quote:
I had the same attitude you do for the past few years. I sat back, waited for the good stuff, bought into the little things they were saying to us and thinking that was a sign that they were really moving in the right direction but 5 years later we still have a mediocre football game.
That's all subjective. While M10 does have problems I don't find it to be mediocre. It took a lot of leaps and was the first Madden this gen that I played franchise mode for more than one season.

Quote:
MLB the Show has baseball done right, NBA 2k10 has basketball done right, Fifa has soccer done right, yet the most popular game in the U.S. and we're still stuck with a mediocre representation from what is supposed to be one of the top developers for one of the biggest franchises around. There is no excuse for EA to continue putting out such a mediocre football game, none.

All those games still have problems... NBA 2k10 definitely (I have that game). I guess what I don't get is how people find issues with Madden 10 but yet at the same time are so hard pressed to find issues with other games or games in the past that are viewed as "some of the greatest sports games of all time".

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.