Home
MLB 10 News Post

Check out the throw meter improvements in MLB '10: The Show.

Quote:
"In addition, new throw meter functionality affects both strength and accuracy taking into account the thrower's attributes. The harder you press the stronger and potentially more inaccurate your throw. For example, light taps for fielder's with weaker arm will result in weaker throws than the same tap with fielder's with stronger arms. Hard presses with fielder's with inaccurate arms will be more likely to go offline than the same press with fielders with more accurate arms.

One additional point with the new functionality is that preloading becomes more important for "catch to throw" scenarios. If the user is still holding the button and the second or third triggering mechanism (as described above) has not been completed when the branch point in the catch has been reached, the fielder will not branch to the throw. Instead, he will complete the catch animation (i.e. full anim duration till he hits the "throw ready" pose), and then use a throw ready."

Game: MLB '10: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 66 - View All
MLB '10: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Flightwhite24 @ 03/23/10 05:31 PM
Very good explanation and should silence some of the complaints. Thanks

# 2 nemesis04 @ 03/23/10 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixmgs
Cool video. But I don't understand why people didn't understand how the throwing meter works. Obviously, the closer to the red, the harder but less accurate a throw is going to be.
People were saying that they did not see any difference and felt it did not work.

# 3 idesign2 @ 03/23/10 05:49 PM
I'm still not clear on the branching animation aspect. Does this mean I should press the throw button BEFORE touching the ball? Or does it mean I should continue holding the button throughout the catching and throw sequence? In other words, what exactly is required to trigger the branch animation correctly?

# 4 EnigmaNemesis @ 03/23/10 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
People were saying that they did not see any difference and felt it did not work.

That is a head scratcher, cause when my meter is not full, the throw is more lazy, and when it is red, it is much harder and sharper. And sometimes more offline and the first baseman or other infielder has to stretch or move out of position, depending on the fielder.

# 5 nemesis04 @ 03/23/10 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by idesign2
I'm still not clear on the branching animation aspect. Does this mean I should press the throw button BEFORE touching the ball? Or does it mean I should continue holding the button throughout the catching and throw sequence? In other words, what exactly is required to trigger the branch animation correctly?
Pre-loading your throws allows for the smoothest transition from catch to the throw. If you hold the button throughout the catching sequence the throw will not go off until the player is in the throw ready position. Your throw could end up being more accurate but very late.

# 6 Flightwhite24 @ 03/23/10 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
That is a head scratcher, cause when my meter is not full, the throw is more lazy, and when it is red, it is much harder and sharper. And sometimes more offline and the first baseman or other infielder has to stretch or move out of position, depending on the fielder.
I at times feel this way. You gotta wonder if some of the complaints are valid about this game. I do think it has issues in some areas but I have to wonder if it is as bad as some make it out to be.

Again, thanks for the video it really breaks it down for us.

# 7 EnigmaNemesis @ 03/23/10 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondoman
The game is NOT EVEN CLOSE to how bad some are even making it out to be.

Hell, I love this game and play it every day. It's the best baseball game ever made IMO.

Every game has bugs and glitches but not every company fixes them. The fact we have two patches already and people are demanding more is crazy to me.

People act so dang entitled it's not even funny. I am 31 years old and dont remember when or how things got to be this way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSKYWALKER1
I at times feel this way. You gotta wonder if some of the complaints are valid about this game. I do think it has issues in some areas but I have to wonder if it is as bad as some make it out to be.

Again, thanks for the video it really breaks it down for us.
Agreed with the both of you!

PS, you both should go and get yourselves blue names

# 8 idesign2 @ 03/23/10 06:17 PM
Quote:
If you hold the button throughout the catching sequence the throw will not go off until the player is in the throw ready position. Your throw could end up being more accurate but very late.
OK, so holding the button throughout the catch sequence is bad, right? Just want to make sure I'm getting this. For instance, say I'm at 3B and have to run toward home to field a soft ground ball. To trigger the correct fielding sequence, should I wait until my player touches the ball before pressing the throw button? Or should I "preload" it by pressing the button BEFORE touching the ball? And what would be the appropriate release point in order to execute a smooth throwing animation?

I really have played this game before, I swear.

# 9 EnigmaNemesis @ 03/23/10 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondoman
HUH???

I want a blue name!!!
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...on-sports.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by idesign2
OK, so holding the button throughout the catch sequence is bad, right? Just want to make sure I'm getting this. For instance, say I'm at 3B and have to run toward home to field a soft ground ball. To trigger the correct fielding sequence, should I wait until my player touches the ball before pressing the throw button? Or should I "preload" it by pressing the button BEFORE touching the ball? And what would be the appropriate release point in order to execute a smooth throwing animation?

I really have played this game before, I swear.
I found that pre-loading, pressing the button and releasing it before he picks up the ball, or releasing it before he gets set for the throw has had the most success.

DPs, are a bit trickier, since you have to be faster (as you would a real DP), but seemed to me, holding it down for the throw to first (throughout the sequence) did not effect the throw animation in a bad way, as long as it was pre-loaded before the transition.

# 10 idesign2 @ 03/23/10 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis

I found that pre-loading, pressing the button and releasing it before he picks up the ball, or releasing it before he gets set for the throw has had the most success.

DPs, are a bit trickier, since you have to be faster (as you would a real DP), but seemed to me, holding it down for the throw to first (throughout the sequence) did not effect the throw animation in a bad way, as long as it was pre-loaded before the transition.
OK, that helps. Several times I have tried to preload a throw in the outfield only to see my player dive for the ball instead of throwing to second. I've also had the opposite happen, where I wait too long and my player gets into that "throw-ready" position after fielding the ball. Both are frustrating. Obviously I'm not timing it right.

# 11 bonannogiovanni @ 03/23/10 06:55 PM
Strangely Russell's link does not work for me. I found the video here http://forums.theshowcommunity.com/s...ead.php?t=1549

Thank you so much for this tutorial, now I understan why I blew a few double plays (animations did not branch).

# 12 nemesis04 @ 03/23/10 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabeeds
I don't know about auto fielding. But as far as manual goes, what i'm not getting about preloading is this - If i'm supposed to press the throw button before i field the ball, wont this cause an off balance throw, because i would also be holding a direction, trying to GET TO the ball. ( If it wasn't hit at me and i had to range to get to it, say ).

That's why i always would wait until he fielded the ball, let go of the left analog, and then throw it. ( the non-branching throw ) I hated the off balance throws, when not needed, but somtimes it would cost me.
Having your player wait until they are in the throw ready position will yield a more accurate throw more often but you are losing time when you choose to go this route and will fall short on the bang, bang plays.

# 13 EnigmaNemesis @ 03/23/10 08:53 PM

# 14 HITTERSAURUS REX @ 03/24/10 01:30 AM
Nice instructional/how to video Russell:
Not only were mlb10's ingame tutorial self explanatory but this added video should further help those that didn't know the potential of its intentions.

On a side note:
I did address this in your fielding Feedback thread which is found on Post #8
CLick> SCEA Sports - MLB 10 Feedback Forum (let me know what you think)

# 15 RedsManRick @ 03/24/10 01:56 PM
Great video. Would love to see more of these that explain in detail how various game mechanics work.

# 16 nemesis04 @ 03/24/10 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball66
Got a question here about this new throwing mechanic vs using standard throwing.

If i use standard throwing where you press the button and your "puppet" throws the ball at only one speed the same as powering up the meter for a strong throw, regarding accuracy? Am i missing out on some realistic gameplay element by not using it?
Imo yes because you are missing out on the diversity/ability/or lack there of your players on the field.

# 17 Russell_SCEA @ 03/24/10 02:29 PM
Quote:
Imo yes because you are missing out on the diversity/ability/or lack there of your players on the field.

This is correct

# 18 nemesis04 @ 03/24/10 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball66
How so? Will players with higher attributes for throwing be better if i use the meter?

I was thinking that the meter was possibly only brought in for more user interaction? Which i'm not against by the way but like pitching i stick with classic over meter because i want the attributes to play out more than whether or not i can time a button release.

Did the devs comment much on this when you were in SD. Thanks.

PS: I'll give it a whirl and see how i do.
The player's attributes are reflected better by being tied to the meter. You get a better feel on who your stronger and weaker players are as far as strength and accuracy go.

# 19 Pared @ 03/24/10 04:32 PM
I still would like to see a true throw cancel mechanic.

# 20 Reaman @ 03/24/10 05:34 PM
Nice improvements!

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.