Home
Tecmo Bowl Throwback News Post

Game: Tecmo Bowl ThrowbackReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 CreatineKasey @ 03/23/10 11:50 PM
I'll be playing 2D.

I hope you guys are with me on that so I can crush you

He said very VERY soon... hopefully that means weeks and not months. My thumb is twitching already...

Lately I've had the TSB "injury" song stuck in my head. Hopefully that's not a real life foreshadowing? If I do get injured I promise I'll complete the prophecy and sprint out of the hospital in full pads with flowers in my hand.

# 2 KBLover @ 03/24/10 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Lately I've had the TSB "injury" song stuck in my head. Hopefully that's not a real life foreshadowing? If I do get injured I promise I'll complete the prophecy and sprint out of the hospital in full pads with flowers in my hand.
Speaking of music in the game - I hope it have that catchy 1st down tune from the NES Tecmo Bowl - for both players.

It annoys me that the AI/Player 2 gets it in NES TSB and me as player 1 gets that bad sounding one that last like 3 seconds.

# 3 TheWatcher @ 03/24/10 08:23 AM
I can't wait to buy this game.

I don't think I can stomach playing the 2D version unless they made some serious changes to the sound. I hated the SNES version of this game because of the sound. The sound was just terrible to me. I never really liked the way a lot of developers used the SNES sound chip. A lot of it sounded like very cheap midi, even substandard for its time.

Also, the game seems kinda slow in 3D, and the cut scene models need work. I don't say that from a sim standpoint because this game is not supposed to be a sim. I say that because they did a better job with those in other versions. The proportions in this one are completely out of whack.

Another thing I'm hoping for is that we can change team colors, but I have a serious doubt there.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this game. From the video it seems like they tried hard to keep the gameplay elements as close as possible to the original, so that's a big sigh of relief from me.

# 4 DirtyJerz32 @ 03/24/10 10:07 AM
Looks pretty fun. I can't wait to get my hands on this. Did they give definite release date yet?

# 5 CreatineKasey @ 03/24/10 11:21 AM
I can't wait. This is the first game I'm going to shoot for the leaderboards on I think. My play guessing skills were Ms. Cleo-like back in the day. Winner winner chicken dinner Lloyd is coming for YOU!

# 6 CreatineKasey @ 03/24/10 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm217
This will be the first time I'l be shooting for the leaderboards myself. Next year they have to add online seasons and tournaments. Only then will we see the full potential for this franchise. I'm more then content for this being the first year on XBL and PSN. Tecmo Bowl is backkkk!
Tecmo is one of the few games I take personal. There's real man-pride on the line. Tapping is manly!

See ya in a couple weeks on XBLA! Can't wait.

# 7 bcruise @ 03/24/10 01:13 PM
Hard to imagine a whole lot of people playing 2D online when you can only see about 30 yards ahead as opposed to what looks like 50 on the 3D version. I know how Tecmo is and that you can usually tell if a guy is going to be open before he runs off screen, but being able to see that far ahead is a pretty big deal.

Nice interview.

# 8 centauris @ 03/24/10 03:00 PM
He didn't ask if your edits worked during online play?

for example.. you edited all the names so they matched the 1993 rosters.. would that be included when you played online?

i doubt they did that actually. fml

# 9 cinders @ 03/24/10 03:37 PM
Good interview, this wasn't on my radar until now.

# 10 babythug23 @ 03/24/10 06:21 PM
I know they are made up players. But are the fake players for today's nfl? or back when Tecmo bowl came out?

# 11 TheWatcher @ 03/24/10 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by babythug23
I know they are made up players. But are the fake players for today's nfl? or back when Tecmo bowl came out?
It's based off the 1993 NFL, all they did was change the names and probably the numbers, but all the same ratings are still intact.

# 12 babythug23 @ 03/24/10 07:57 PM
So if its off of the SNES it will have a real Season? Not the beat every team like on nes?

# 13 CreatineKasey @ 03/24/10 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by babythug23
So if its off of the SNES it will have a real Season? Not the beat every team like on nes?
Yep there's a season mode.

# 14 bkrich83 @ 03/25/10 12:29 AM
Marion Butts ftw!!!

# 15 TheWatcher @ 03/25/10 08:26 PM
I think some of the animations could move a bit faster. In the video, the dev mentioned that there is a difference between the 2D and 3D version, and I think it has to do with the frame speed of some animations.

From watching it, you can tell that some of the animations in 3D contain more frames than the original 2D version, especially the passing animations. It could be like 2 more, but it's enough to change the overall speed.

# 16 JMD @ 03/27/10 04:18 PM
Wow, I missed this game the first time around. Probably the only video football game I haven't played. Looks quite fun. Was this only available on the Nintendo system when it was first out? I'll be buying this one for sure.

# 17 TheWatcher @ 03/28/10 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
Wow, I missed this game the first time around. Probably the only video football game I haven't played. Looks quite fun. Was this only available on the Nintendo system when it was first out? I'll be buying this one for sure.
Different Tecmo Football games have been available on NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1... Gameboy, DS, various Mobile systems.

This particular version was available on SNES and Genesis. The earlier 8-Bit version was available for NES.

You can play Tecmo Super Bowl for NES here:
http://www.thesmartass.info/play/nes...cmo+Super+Bowl

... And for Genesis here:
http://www.thesmartass.info/play/gen...ecmo+SuperBowl

# 18 CreatineKasey @ 03/28/10 10:00 AM
The NG dive is alive and well in the Genesis version. I really really hope they nixed that. If they did not.... they weren't real Tecmo fans at all.

# 19 jyoung @ 03/28/10 01:14 PM
The nose dive glitch has been in every version of Tecmo Bowl that I've played.

This is basically a port of the original SNES game, so there's a good chance the nose dive glitch is still in there.

If you've watched and read the interviews leading up to this game, I believe one of the producers said that they wanted to keep all the original exploits intact.

This game is not trying to be a "remake" so much as it is trying to be a "restoration."

# 20 CreatineKasey @ 03/28/10 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
The nose dive glitch has been in every version of Tecmo Bowl that I've played.

This is basically a port of the original SNES game, so there's a good chance the nose dive glitch is still in there.

If you've watched and read the interviews leading up to this game, I believe one of the producers said that they wanted to keep all the original exploits intact.

This game is not trying to be a "remake" so much as it is trying to be a "restoration."
You can basically kiss an under center offense goodbye if that's the case. Really... if there's ONE thing they needed to get rid of, it's that.

In the past when you played Tecmo online it was through an emulator and leagues with rules. Playing random opponents through matchmaking or whatever on XBLA is going to negate any rules being respected.

Still excited, but this would effectively end my attempt at any leaderboard climbing as I don't feel like eliminating 75% of the game's plays b/c of lurching.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.