Home
NCAA Football 11 News Post

ESPN Videogames have just posted an article on how NCAA Football 11's enhanced locomotion system completely changes the way you play the game.

Quote:
"I'm sitting down inside EA's Tiburon studio getting my first look at "NCAA Football 11." Only thing is, what I'm watching isn't a game, it's a 100 yard race. That's right, a race.

On one side, you have a guy who burns the field with 99 speed and 90 acceleration. On the other side, you have a guy with 99 acceleration, but only 90 speed.

If this was any previous football game, you'd take the guy with 99 speed to smoke the guy with 99 acceleration, even out of the gates where the 99 acceleration guy should've been at his best, but never was.

This all changes with "NCAA Football 11." For the first time, that acceleration rating isn't just something to note, it's something to live by as EA Sports' new locomotion system favors the guys with quick bursts, not just long-range speed.

"In past years, speed has been the big thing everyone has always focused on, but it doesn't really let you model players who can make big plays over shorter distances," explains "NCAA Football 11's" lead gameplay designer, Ryan Burnsides. "Those quick linebackers or the pass rushing defensive ends, in some cases, over 10-15 yards, those guys are just as fast as receivers, but then they taper off the farther they run. We can finally model that now.

"We made some pretty dramatic changes this year," he continues. "Last year's game was really twitchy and people ran upright the whole time, so on long running plays, everything just looked real robotic. It just didn't look like a person running naturally."

To fix this, the designers at EA Sports focused on things like momentum and acceleration, variation in strides, and leaning. "Now you can lean forward into turns and lean forward when accelerating," adds Burnsides."

Game: NCAA Football 11Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 83 - View All
NCAA Football 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 countryboy @ 04/05/10 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting
I like how it sounds.
me too. Can't wait to see in game video to see it completely in action. The action shots they showcased looked good, but they are, well action shots.

# 42 SageInfinite @ 04/05/10 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgators253
Ugh that thing was pretty awful. Kinda looked like the guy was doing high knees or something to that extent right?
Yes it just looked terrible. Reminds me of the celebration Merton Hanks used to do.

# 43 TracerBullet @ 04/05/10 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Yes it just looked terrible. Reminds me of the celebration Merton Hanks used to do.

That's actually pretty close.

# 44 green94 @ 04/05/10 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
lol, sounds good Sage.

# 45 jyoung @ 04/05/10 07:18 PM
Ah, remember when the 49ers were actually good?

Merton Hanks was a baller.

# 46 GSW @ 04/05/10 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Ah, remember when the 49ers were actually good?

Merton Hanks was a baller.
here we go with this ****.

team of the 90's baby

# 47 SouthernBrick @ 04/05/10 07:41 PM
Lovin these NCAA blogs. Gives me some hope for Madden and the core of football gameplay in general.

# 48 jclentzthadon @ 04/05/10 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally we may have a football game worth playing this year! This just made my whole week, now I just want to see it in action to make sure it is done right. Hopefully Ian has it at the very least up to FIFA's locomotion engine.

This is the biggest gameplay news of this entire generation by far IMHO. To be honest I thought a new locomotion engine was going to be there BIG gameplay announcement and I am surprised it came so early. Makes me wonder what else they may have up their sleeve this year. I think this will make a world of difference in almost every part of gameplay if done correctly....

(I posted this originally in the post put in the Madden forums but then moved it to hear)

Totally agree! This is BIGTIME news right here! Thank god for this! They finally are trying to get the gameplay straight and realistic. No more 90 degree turns at full speed. Game changer right here with this news. Made my day also and I am offically seeing some seroius positive stuff for ncaa 11. Really looking forward to more info.

# 49 Madwolf @ 04/05/10 08:55 PM
So I'm officially excited now. Things like agility, and acceleration actually mean something now.

# 50 Potatoes002 @ 04/05/10 09:37 PM
I hope the gameplay isnt as slow as Madden's was last year. Game looks great this early on though.

# 51 sniperhare @ 04/06/10 12:18 AM
I hope they add the variable game speed from Madden into NCAA.

# 52 stoncold32 @ 04/06/10 12:42 AM
I'm a bit worried by these linebackers and D-linemen with super high acceleration.

If they dont fix the blocking schemes, that could wreak havoc.

# 53 Hova57 @ 04/06/10 12:27 PM
normal is the best setting and if you can adjust the speed difference it will be cool.

# 54 Garydee @ 04/06/10 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
I'm a bit worried by these linebackers and D-linemen with super high acceleration.

If they dont fix the blocking schemes, that could wreak havoc.
You ninja'd me. I was about to write the same exact thing. We'll end up with linebackers in the backfield constantly if OL AI isn't fixed. However, I remain cautiously optimistic.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.