Home
NCAA Football 11 News Post

EA Sports has just posted another NCAA Football 11 blog. This one covers locomotion, which includes some new screenshots and video.

******** src="http://player.ooyala.com/player.js?height=309&embedCode=JudThiMToZtgKBnQQBvayelXL2zQZ5zm&width=550&deepLinkEmbedCode=JudThiMToZtgKBnQQBvayelXL2zQZ5zm">

Quote:
"One of the first areas we concentrated on for NCAA Football 11 was to create more realistic player acceleration. In previous versions, there wasn't a noticeable difference between players with a high acceleration rating versus players with a lower one, as speed was the only thing that seemed to matter. For the first time in NCAA Football 11, acceleration will be a huge factor into how quickly a player can reach their top speed. This new acceleration will also help differentiate the styles of players across the various positions on the field. For example, a "Possession" type receiver may have a high acceleration rating but not have that breakaway speed that a "Speed" receiver possesses in the open field. However, this possession receiver will have the ability to get in and out of his cuts, and back to full speed on his routes quicker. Another area where acceleration is a big factor is differentiating speed type rushers versus the more conventional run-stopping defensive lineman. Defensive ends that have a high acceleration rating will be able to get off the ball and to the quarterback quicker, due to their top end speed. The bigger interior type defensive lineman will have a harder time trying to speed rush, as it will take them longer to accelerate to top speed."

Game: NCAA Football 11Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 83 - View All
NCAA Football 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Valdarez @ 04/06/10 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
Valderez, you noticed the same thing I did. There's a noticeable difference in the shoulder movement of the running animation. Looking good so far.

Oh, and the spin move isn't really new, its the one from Madden 10, you just don't see it often. Actually, now that I think about it, its in NCAA 10 also. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm looking forward to it. Momentum is what I've been waiting on.
Exactly, in past versions the shoulder was locked in place which is a lot of what led the long running animations towards looking robotic. The running animations definitely look better from the side view.

I hadn't even planned on buying NCAA 2011 used this year as NCAA 2010 was so utterly bad. I'll wait for reviews, and if the locomotion is working well, and the DB's are playing inside/outside coverage properly, and the passing archs / speeds are corrected, then I'll upgrade it to a hesitant used buy.

On a side note, I wonder how they are able to make the animations look smooth during the video? When I play on the console, there's a rendering problem resulting in missing frames unless you play it very slow during a replay at which point it is smooth as all get out. Any ideas on this guys? Think it's a build machine, hence more power & no loss in rendering?

# 82 kindella2 @ 04/06/10 10:19 AM
Looking better and better. I like both the info and vids.

# 83 michfan16 @ 04/06/10 10:54 AM
nice

# 84 BigFan77 @ 04/06/10 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Exactly, in past versions the shoulder was locked in place which is a lot of what led the long running animations towards looking robotic. The running animations definitely look better from the side view.

I hadn't even planned on buying NCAA 2011 used this year as NCAA 2010 was so utterly bad. I'll wait for reviews, and if the locomotion is working well, and the DB's are playing inside/outside coverage properly, and the passing archs / speeds are corrected, then I'll upgrade it to a hesitant used buy.

On a side note, I wonder how they are able to make the animations look smooth during the video? When I play on the console, there's a rendering problem resulting in missing frames unless you play it very slow during a replay at which point it is smooth as all get out. Any ideas on this guys? Think it's a build machine, hence more power & no loss in rendering?
Valdarez,

I’m the Art Director on NCAA11 and new to the forums.

The animations were captured straight from the console. There’s no magic there. You’ll be able to see the game like this on your console as well.

The game captures are not hacked in any way. We feel the game is looking outstanding and are showing the game in its true form.

On another the note. The Arkansas face mask is correct in game. I’ll post some screen shots later this week showing the correction as well as all available facemasks for this cycle.

Jean Adams

# 85 da ThRONe @ 04/06/10 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFan77
Valdarez,

The animations were captured straight from the console. There’s no magic there. You’ll be able to see the game like this on your console as well.

The game captures are not hacked in any way. We feel the game is looking outstanding and are showing the game in its true form.

On another the note. The Arkansas face mask is correct in game. I’ll post some screen shots later this week showing the correction as well as all available facemasks for this cycle.

Jean Adams
I'm interested in seeing all the facemask for the game this year. I'm sure its probably going to cause a riot though when they dont show the "Percy Harvin" facemask.

# 86 BtothejizA @ 04/06/10 11:21 AM
Yes! Taking my advice and copying Madden like old times.

# 87 Valdarez @ 04/06/10 11:30 AM
Quote:
Valdarez,

Jean Adams
After years of EA developers claiming they don't see anything wrong with the rendering, you'll have to forgive me if I don't believe it until I see it.

I played APF2K8 for years, and it had very smooth animations, and it was always jarring coming back to NCAA or Madden and seeing the 'jittery' effect to the animations in the EA Sports games. I was actually surprised when I put the running animations video together at how smooth the NCAA/Madden animations were when played in slow motion via the instant replay feature. This conversation became very confusing, because EA would always say the replays were only 30 FPS and the game itself was 60 FPS, yet the game constantly looked worse when in motion from a fluidity standpoint when compared to the instant replay in slow motion.

1) Prior to the new locomotion system, did you notice rendering problems? Many fans typically referred to it as a 'jittery' look to the animations.
2) Did the new locomotion system fix the jittery problem with rendering? Was the rendering system upgraded? Another fix? Or will the rendering be the same as prior versions?
3) Side Note - Has the foot plant / body touch points relative to the field been solved? The videos tend to give the impression it has been solved (huge fix/change there IMHO).

# 88 TreyIM2 @ 04/06/10 11:39 AM
I can't get enough of this vid. Musta watched it over 20 times since yesterday. Loving the leans, "the flailing off hand", which is something I directly posted to EA for Madden improvements after Madden 10 came out last year, and just all around more organic looking animations of ball carriers.

Looking at this vid, I do NOT think I'm looking at an EA Sports football game, FOR ONCE! Nice BUT what concerns me is the slipping defender animation. Not sure if my memory is on point but wasn't that over used in NCAA 10? I don't have my NCAA 10 anymore and I could be wrong but that seems to stick out in my memory. I hope they keep that to a minimum, this year.

I also like what I read about how momentum will work in context of the controller. This sounds like we're going to have to re-learn, a bit, how we play NCAA Football. I LIKE THAT!! I remember when Madden 2001 came out for the PS2 and how they implemented momentum, then. Needed work but it was a step in the right direction. Now that EA has better consoles to work with, momentum should REALLY be on point, now...or at least in NCAA/Madden 12. Lol.

Oh, I'm also wondering how well this will fit in with the "Pro-Tak 2.0" they will be using in NCAA 11 because Pro-Tak in Madden 10, more times than not, looked akward although I LOVED the fact that they at least FINALLY implemented REAL gang tackling. The new momentum tech should really make the "new" Pro-Tak function well...so I hope.

I was already amped for this game prior to this announcement and vid and NOW, I don't know what to do with myself....except go play Madden 10 while waiting for my clothes to dry....or even download the NCAA 10 demo, AGAIN, and just get into that college atmosphere train of thought.

# 89 Valdarez @ 04/06/10 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
I can't get enough of this vid. Musta watched it over 20 times since yesterday. Loving the leans, "the flailing off hand", which is something I directly posted to EA for Madden improvements after Madden 10 came out last year, and just all around more organic looking animations of ball carriers.

Looking at this vid, I do NOT think I'm looking at an EA Sports football game, FOR ONCE! Nice BUT what concerns me is the slipping defender animation. Not sure if my memory is on point but wasn't that over used in NCAA 10? I don't have my NCAA 10 anymore and I could be wrong but that seems to stick out in my memory. I hope they keep that to a minimum, this year.

I also like what I read about how momentum will work in context of the controller. This sounds like we're going to have to re-learn, a bit, how we play NCAA Football. I LIKE THAT!! I remember when Madden 2001 came out for the PS2 and how they implemented momentum, then. Needed work but it was a step in the right direction. Now that EA has better consoles to work with, momentum should REALLY be on point, now...or at least in NCAA/Madden 12. Lol.

Oh, I'm also wondering how well this will fit in with the "Pro-Tak 2.0" they will be using in NCAA 11 because Pro-Tak in Madden 10, more times than not, looked akward although I LOVED the fact that they at least FINALLY implemented REAL gang tackling. The new momentum tech should really make the "new" Pro-Tak function well...so I hope.

I was already amped for this game prior to this announcement and vid and NOW, I don't know what to do with myself....except go play Madden 10 while waiting for my clothes to dry....or even download the NCAA 10 demo, AGAIN, and just get into that college atmosphere train of thought.
Ian had said they targeted it for M10, but couldn't get it in. It's nice to see Madden / NCAA getting the same features in the same year. Sounds like they are finally starting to use the same code base at some level, which they really should have been doing from day one. Base code base for football, and then configure it for each genre (NFL, NCAA, Arena, etc...). The animations they highlighted definitely looked slick. It's going to be interesting to see gameplay vids coming out to see how momentum is actually implemented.

One of the things I really liked hearing about was they hand on the back. I hate the animation where the ball carrier runs into the back of a blocker and just runs in place. That's so annoying, especially since this hasn't been a problem in 2K games for awhile. Momentum, acceleration, decelleration, cuts, and the like are a long time coming to NCAA/Madden. Lets hope they got it right.

# 90 gator3guy @ 04/06/10 01:23 PM
I hope this means the qb/zone reads will finally work correctly this year.

# 91 cowboy_kmoney @ 04/06/10 01:23 PM
This is what Ive been saying all along is for the Madden team and NCAA team working togather to bring the best football game ever to there fans of both games. Now all they have to do is come up with a realistic importing system by sending all the players leaving Their schools at the end of the season will be imported into Madden as draft classess every year.

# 92 kjhen @ 04/06/10 01:55 PM
Quote:
Valdarez,

Jean Adams
Hello Jean, i just wanted to know if u guys added the ION Schutt 4D and Schutt Air XP helmets for clarification. i just haven't heard anything about these helmets in the list of new equipment or in pics.

# 93 kbigmike2121 @ 04/06/10 01:57 PM
The locomotion in this game looks sick! The running animations look way more authentic...

# 94 gator3guy @ 04/06/10 01:58 PM

Need this more than any other

# 95 stiffarmleft @ 04/06/10 02:31 PM
I hope they include some more subtle "overrun" missed tackled animations, the video only showed the guy falling on his butt animation, which is a bad miss. Hopefully the better more agile defenders will at least be able to stay upright when they are juked on, everybody shouldn't get their ankles broken.

# 96 BigFan77 @ 04/06/10 02:32 PM
Here’s what we have this cycle. Some are new and others have been there for some time but all have been tuned to look more realistic. The girth of the facemask has been increased to give them a thicker look. It’s almost as if they weren’t rubber coated before.

I know this is a very minor update but we want you to know that we care about the details as well.

- Jean

http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/NCAA_Football_11/face_mask.gif

# 97 Morning Thunder @ 04/06/10 02:37 PM
Quote:
Here’s what we have this cycle. Some are new and others have been there for some time but all have been tuned to look more realistic. The girth of the facemask has been increased to give them a thicker look. It’s almost as if they weren’t rubber coated before.

I know this is a very minor update but we want you to know that we care about the details as well.

- Jean

http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/eas.../face_mask.gif
Wow, EA steppin up. Percy Harvin mask is in!! Also note the 2 LT facemasks.. Thanks for this

# 98 TreyIM2 @ 04/06/10 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
I dont think it will be overused, it looks a lot like the WR slipping animation they added last year. I didnt think that one was overused.
Ahh. I wasn't sure. My brain sometimes makes me believe things that I THOUGHT I thought...like how this one time, in band camp...I climbed a TALL beanstalk! Ha.

Thx for the correction, though.

# 99 ch46647 @ 04/06/10 02:40 PM
Where is Kane at? He loves this stuff and may have more insight on how those facemasks look. I dont have a clue when it comes to this stuff haha

# 100 TreyIM2 @ 04/06/10 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffarmleft
I hope they include some more subtle "overrun" missed tackled animations, the video only showed the guy falling on his butt animation, which is a bad miss. Hopefully the better more agile defenders will at least be able to stay upright when they are juked on, everybody shouldn't get their ankles broken.
Good call. I think EA could use some time of animation tech tool that they can utilize very degrees of things happening so things like that don't happen so often but, none the less, we haven't heard everything yet about this year's game. Fingers crossed.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.