Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

EA Sports has just posted another Madden NFL 11 blog. This one focusing on locomotion.

Quote:
"Obviously, players in pads can’t run the same speed as a world class sprinter coming out of blocks but their acceleration curves have the same shape. They get up to around 80% of their top speed relatively quickly, but the last 20% is stretched out further (it takes the Olympic guys around 60 meters to hit 100% of their top speed). Once I had the curves created, I tuned them around combine 40 times and 100 meter times of players who ran track in college. I then passed that info on to Ratings Czar Donny Moore so he could set speed and acceleration accurately for our rosters. In total, we have 24 different curves that we can tune to control everything from how a player's speed increases over time (based on acceleration and speed ratings), to how much he can turn based on his current speed (driven by the agility rating). That level of control really lets us differentiate players on the field.

It is now possible for our ratings guys to make players that are quick over 10 to 20 yards, but get smoked at longer distances. A 90 speed player can now run the same 40 time as a 99 speed player, but lose over longer distances. I have a video here to highlight this. I created two players. The first is 99 speed, 90 acceleration (#99, on the top in the video). The second is 90 speed ,99 acceleration (#90 on the bottom in the video). The players race for 90 yards in the video. As you can see, the player with higher acceleration jumps out to an early lead, but gets passed at around 40 yards by the higher speed player. The animations aren't final (particularly the initial move that plays), and I still have some fine tuning to do on how we map the acceleration and speed ratings into our set of curves, but you can see how powerful acceleration is going to be in Madden NFL 11."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 241 Valdarez @ 04/12/10 08:15 PM
Thanks for rounding that up, it was a lot of stuff to read through to get it (nearly 30 pages). It will be interesting to see how Madden fans react to momentum / footwork as many were quick to pan it in APF2K8.

# 242 ch46647 @ 04/12/10 08:24 PM
Does this mean the "highlight stick" is gone. I hope so all people would do is hit up on the highlight stick and it took a lot of the fun and skill out of running.

# 243 Tengo Juego @ 04/12/10 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
Does this mean the "highlight stick" is gone. I hope so all people would do is hit up on the highlight stick and it took a lot of the fun and skill out of running.
It may become the "total control stick."

I cant wait to try the demo out. The locomotion alone has me sold on both games this year.

# 244 Eman5805 @ 04/12/10 09:20 PM
I appreciate the vids and all, but I fear this is just going to hype up the ignorant masses who for some reason reach more ears than the ones that know what they're talking about.

I haven't read any of the previous 30 whatever pages, but I'd wager there's a lot of "Why does it look like Welker's floating around? Where's the jukes and cuts?" Even though his is obviously a very early, early build.

I'll still look forward to what more goodies you all got in store.

# 245 SouthernBrick @ 04/12/10 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
I really do hope they do something with the highlight stick. Get rid of it or do whatever they gotta do because, all the consistent big hits get old.

# 246 Only1LT @ 04/13/10 04:18 PM
The excerpts from the NCAA thread that a previous poster pasted (say that 3 times fast lol) sound extremely interesting. Thank you for that by the way.

I like what it "sounds" like they are trying to do, but as always, I will not get too excited until I see it in action for myself.

# 247 Pacman83 @ 04/14/10 06:36 PM
So with the tune to locomotion and the new catching tool i should be able to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh2EzpR98KQ

Edit: i meant with the right receiver

# 248 Hova57 @ 04/14/10 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman83
So with the tune to locomotion and the new catching tool i should be able to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh2EzpR98KQ

Edit: i meant with the right receiver
it seems that way

# 249 43Chargers4Now @ 04/17/10 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
More videos will start dropping soon once we're happy with where it's at. No reason putting out unfinished/sloppy stuff that will send everyone into a panic.

Wow, that's very smart. I guess there will be not as many trolls this year.......... Nice Job,

# 250 blitzkrieger @ 04/18/10 05:25 PM
I sure hope they finally get the juke right, like it was back in the glory days.. It is sorely missing and really takes the fun out of the run game for me.. I just compared Madden 4 running vs Madden 10 and it is no contest. Jeez I hope this gets fixed in 11.

# 251 cowboy_kmoney @ 04/19/10 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkrieger
I sure hope they finally get the juke right, like it was back in the glory days.. It is sorely missing and really takes the fun out of the run game for me.. I just compared Madden 4 running vs Madden 10 and it is no contest. Jeez I hope this gets fixed in 11.
Well put my friend...

# 252 blitzkrieger @ 04/20/10 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigturboweenie
because he was highlighting the "AGILITY" ability...which determines how fast a player can accelerate while making turns/cuts.
All fine and dandy but still not much different than 10. I want to see the hard foot plant and the body weight shift to the other side.. The Juke ! Its been missing for half a decade now. It is the most important move for a RB and its not in the game. Very frustrating.

# 253 djordan @ 06/15/10 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
Since we really havent seen many video's, does this mean you still arent happy with where its at? lol
Good question.

# 254 roadman @ 06/15/10 03:16 PM
If it's like NCAA's, I'll be very happy.

# 255 Only1LT @ 06/15/10 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
If it's like NCAA's, I'll be very happy.

I think they may have been asking Ian specifically lol.

# 256 roadman @ 06/15/10 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
I think they may have been asking Ian specifically lol.
I know who, but that who doesn't come around here anymore.

At least, I haven't even seen him lurk.

# 257 Valdarez @ 06/17/10 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Too early for that...still fleshing it all out.

More videos will start dropping soon once we're happy with where it's at. No reason putting out unfinished/sloppy stuff that will send everyone into a panic.
Didn't realize Ian's last post was nearly 2 months ago. I guess since we haven't seen any videos really until E3 they still aren't happy with it?

# 258 Only1LT @ 06/17/10 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Didn't realize Ian's last post was nearly 2 months ago. I guess since we haven't seen any videos really until E3 they still aren't happy with it?

Makes sense as I am not that happy with it either lol.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.