Home
2010 FIFA World Cup News Post

The 2010 FIFA World Cup demo is available now, weighing in at 913 MB. Please post your impressions here.

Game: 2010 FIFA World CupReader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 13 - View All
2010 FIFA World Cup Videos
Member Comments
# 61 instantpop @ 04/11/10 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Shuttlesworth
I've been playing FIFA on PS3 since 08 and haven't noticed or payed any attention to this stuttering you guys are talking about. And I've played well over 2000 matches.
As rckabillyRaider said, it only happens during cutscenes and it doesn't effect game play. I've played just as much FIFA as you and it is there. What bothers me is that EA continues to focus efforts on presentation when it's clear the engine can't handle running the cut scenes smoothly. It creates more of a disconnect from the atmosphere than the immersion they are trying to achieve.

If you don't notice it, more power to you, but it's there - as mentioned by several folks here and on every FIFA blog I've read that's posted impressions of this demo.

That aside, the actual game play is the best FIFA yet and I look forward to the retail release.

# 62 FORMULA316 @ 04/12/10 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBucc
World Class
http://twitpic.com/1f2sa5

Rather suspect looking AI on World Class difficulty. The two chasing Spanish
defenders are moving rather slow and eventually abandon the play with the
one defender just stands there, eventually moving to his right but way too
late. Maybe it's me playing on Legendary but I can't recall the AI being that
weak on World Class.

# 63 Qb @ 04/12/10 09:34 AM
Didn't play a lot over the weekend, but I did play enough to see some of the stuff you guys are talking about. I was already planning on buying it because I'm a sucker and the demo did nothing to dissuade me, even if it did feel a little slick on slow speed.

Koshi, I played as Spain against Italy and the Italians definitely passed the ball back and around against me. I'm sure the old "route one" issue is lurking around, but within my first few games I immediately noticed a somewhat more "tactical" AI style. But I tend to play more passively in defense, so perhaps that's why the AI felt the need to work the ball around a little more (not saying it was great, but it made an immediate impression).

To jump off of P2K's thoughts, the AI did seem more believeable on defense with less ball-hawking and pressing. Again, it could be Italy's style, but generally in FIFA, all teams on World Class and above would harass the [bleep] out of you without extensive CTT edits. I think the somewhat larger playing surface helps out the most in this area.

And Phillyfan, I also noticed some improved player movement/positioning. Can't think of any specifics like you gave, but generally speaking I wasn't as frustrated with what my teammates or the CPU were doing away from the ball. Again, I'm sure time will reveal some of the same blemishes we've come to know & love in FIFA, but at first glance it does seem better.

# 64 KG @ 04/12/10 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Didn't play a lot over the weekend, but I did play enough to see some of the stuff you guys are talking about. I was already planning on buying it because I'm a sucker and the demo did nothing to dissuade me, even if it did feel a little slick on slow speed.

Koshi, I played as Spain against Italy and the Italians definitely passed the ball back and around against me. I'm sure the old "route one" issue is lurking around, but within my first few games I immediately noticed a somewhat more "tactical" AI style. But I tend to play more passively in defense, so perhaps that's why the AI felt the need to work the ball around a little more (not saying it was great, but it made an immediate impression).

To jump off of P2K's thoughts, the AI did seem more believeable on defense with less ball-hawking and pressing. Again, it could be Italy's style, but generally in FIFA, all teams on World Class and above would harass the [bleep] out of you without extensive CTT edits. I think the somewhat larger playing surface helps out the most in this area.

And Phillyfan, I also noticed some improved player movement/positioning. Can't think of any specifics like you gave, but generally speaking I wasn't as frustrated with what my teammates or the CPU were doing away from the ball. Again, I'm sure time will reveal some of the same blemishes we've come to know & love in FIFA, but at first glance it does seem better.
I agree Q. Player movement just keeps getting better and better. I could feel the difference between the Italian players like Pirlo and the quicker Spanish Players (Villa & Torres).

I'm sure the larger pitch will help some I think people will abuse the ping-pong passing to counteract the slightly toned down pressure.

Other than that I can't really tell too many differences between this & FIFA '10 because of the 2min halves.

# 65 Qb @ 04/12/10 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
I'm sure the larger pitch will help some I think people will abuse the ping-pong passing to counteract the slightly toned down pressure.
That's my only concern with the larger pitch -- I shudder to think what full-assist games could look like. Now all-manual should be awesome, but more space to ping-pong it around could be bad. Good thing I don't bother with random games.

What system are you getting this for KG? I'd like to go PS3 since my 360 could die any day, but part of me wants to go xbox to play with friends. Like I really need to continue my run of going out in the first knockout round in OS tournaments...

# 66 KG @ 04/12/10 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
That's my only concern with the larger pitch -- I shudder to think what full-assist games could look like. Now all-manual should be awesome, but more space to ping-pong it around could be bad. Good thing I don't bother with random games.

What system are you getting this for KG? I'd like to go PS3 since my 360 could die any day, but part of me wants to go xbox to play with friends. Like I really need to continue my run of going out in the first knockout round in OS tournaments...
I'm not sure that I will even get it because I don't see myself playing it over FIFA '10 after the WC ends. If I got it the only reason would be for the OS torneys so I'd probably go the 360 route.

# 67 PeruvianPlaya954 @ 04/12/10 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
I'm not sure that I will even get it because I don't see myself playing it over FIFA '10 after the WC ends. If I got it the only reason would be for the OS torneys so I'd probably go the 360 route.
I am. The gameplay is better, sicker (though I'm not sure about the speed).

# 68 allBthere @ 04/12/10 06:37 PM
My impressions I'll start by saying the last fifa game I owned was world cup 2002. World cup I really get into, Euro I get into but not as much.

When I first booted up the demo I was shocked at how little evolution has taken place. I think the graphics are very bad for a 2010 360 title. I even said 'omg' out loud by myself when I saw what's becoming EA sports's patented frame skipping during simple camera pan's of the players on the pitch.

up close the field where it's supposed to be 'debris' i guess, is just blocks of red, blue and white squares and looks laughable. The player's clothes don't have any kind of cloth movement. Some of the player's faces look good I guess...but I was really shocked at how little has changed from 2002. The commentary seems actually much worse..

I did think the AI was fairly good and it played a decent game of soccer most of the time, but seeing the bad graphics and frame skipping made me angry they are can't figure out how to make it smooth...a game with this level of graphical detail has no excuse to has so much frame skipping in jiddering. This also happens during replays. A bad gameplay element that stuck out was that I didn't win a single battle for the ball in the air or in space. This was very annoying to me. I thought the passing was good, as was a tackle win and what happens to the ball is nice and random.

The whole experience though was underwhelming and overall a bit of a let down.
This game is a cash grab. (even if people enjoy it...)

# 69 J-Unit40 @ 04/12/10 08:16 PM

# 70 Moses Shuttlesworth @ 04/12/10 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
My impressions I'll start by saying the last fifa game I owned was world cup 2002. World cup I really get into, Euro I get into but not as much.

When I first booted up the demo I was shocked at how little evolution has taken place. I think the graphics are very bad for a 2010 360 title. I even said 'omg' out loud by myself when I saw what's becoming EA sports's patented frame skipping during simple camera pan's of the players on the pitch.

up close the field where it's supposed to be 'debris' i guess, is just blocks of red, blue and white squares and looks laughable. The player's clothes don't have any kind of cloth movement. Some of the player's faces look good I guess...but I was really shocked at how little has changed from 2002. The commentary seems actually much worse..

I did think the AI was fairly good and it played a decent game of soccer most of the time, but seeing the bad graphics and frame skipping made me angry they are can't figure out how to make it smooth...a game with this level of graphical detail has no excuse to has so much frame skipping in jiddering. This also happens during replays. A bad gameplay element that stuck out was that I didn't win a single battle for the ball in the air or in space. This was very annoying to me. I thought the passing was good, as was a tackle win and what happens to the ball is nice and random.

World Cup 2002 is a joke compared to the last three FIFA games. FIFA 10/World Cup 2010 are light years ahead of any next-gen soccer game, if not any soccer game ever (with exception to maybe Winning Eleven 9).

But, it is your opinion so I have to respect that.

Are you playing in SD or HD?

# 71 therizing02 @ 04/12/10 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb

After playing my first game I thought the larger pitch was going to be a huge problem. I was all over the sprint button chasing Torres and Xavi everywhere.

In the second game the problem was solved when I changed my formation to a 4-2-3-1. I took out Marchisio and brought Gattuso on and Spain didn't get a shot off. Choosing formations becomes a lot more important because of the larger pitch. This is a good thing IMO.

I was also buying this game and the demo did nothing to change that. I like the demo although there are some HUGE framerate issues when using the Broadcast camera.

# 72 EXboxur @ 04/12/10 11:59 PM
I'll be picking this up on 360 fo sho! Wish it had custom tournaments online and whatnot, but whatevs. And I know I won't go back to FIFA 10 after I play this. Going back will be a regression. I'll just play the heck out of this until FIFA 11 comes out. Might as well trade FIFA 10 in when I get this.

# 73 allBthere @ 04/13/10 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Shuttlesworth
World Cup 2002 is a joke compared to the last three FIFA games. FIFA 10/World Cup 2010 are light years ahead of any next-gen soccer game, if not any soccer game ever (with exception to maybe Winning Eleven 9).

But, it is your opinion so I have to respect that.

Are you playing in SD or HD?
HD. I just thought it would be interesting to share my view after having a bit of soccer hiatus. I played I think an '06 title at my buddies place. I'm just being totally honest, I've never been a PES fan slamming fifa products. I actually enjoyed 2002. I just can't believe after 8 years, this is it.

I'm not saying it's not at all enjoyable or that people are crazy for liking it, just that I'm shocked this is what is available in 2010.

Personally I think I'd be most excited if virtua striker made another WC game.

I'm not deliberately slamming the game for the sake of it, just giving a perspective from someone who has no expectations, had enjoyed soccer games in the past and who's main comparison is memories of an 8 year old title. I just don't feel this game is where it should be after 8 years. Getting enjoyment out of it is king, so if many of you really like this; that's great, I myself can have some fun with it, I just thought my perspective becaue I've often brought up the point that if you were presented with games from today 6-8-10 years ago in the sports genre, many of them would have you scratching your head saying "that's it?" especially compared to other genres. For me I can actually claim to have this experience in a way.

Other games would have me properly "wow'd" like UFC, the show, maybe nba2k10. There is nothing about this game to me that is pushing any boundaries and is actually far behind in many aspects. One aspect (the commentary) actually seems to have regressed from an 8 year old game - but that's more possible or understandable than other elements. And I can't get over some of the technical problems given the game's lack of stress in any area (it's certainly not pushing the systems to their limits)

# 74 PeruvianPlaya954 @ 04/13/10 04:01 AM
Quote:
HD. I just thought it would be interesting to share my view after having a bit of soccer hiatus. I played I think an '06 title at my buddies place. I'm just being totally honest, I've never been a PES fan slamming fifa products. I actually enjoyed 2002. I just can't believe after 8 years, this is it.

I'm not saying it's not at all enjoyable or that people are crazy for liking it, just that I'm shocked this is what is available in 2010.

Personally I think I'd be most excited if virtua striker made another WC game.

I'm not deliberately slamming the game for the sake of it, just giving a perspective from someone who has no expectations, had enjoyed soccer games in the past and who's main comparison is memories of an 8 year old title. I just don't feel this game is where it should be after 8 years. Getting enjoyment out of it is king, so if many of you really like this; that's great, I myself can have some fun with it, I just thought my perspective becaue I've often brought up the point that if you were presented with games from today 6-8-10 years ago in the sports genre, many of them would have you scratching your head saying "that's it?" especially compared to other genres. For me I can actually claim to have this experience in a way.

Other games would have me properly "wow'd" like UFC, the show, maybe nba2k10. There is nothing about this game to me that is pushing any boundaries and is actually far behind in many aspects. One aspect (the commentary) actually seems to have regressed from an 8 year old game - but that's more possible or understandable than other elements. And I can't get over some of the technical problems given the game's lack of stress in any area (it's certainly not pushing the systems to their limits)
Commentary has been much better in FIFA 10, 09, etc. Seems that all the crowd noise, different announcers and vuvuzelas have drowned out the announcers in World Cup a little bit. I'm sure it will return once FIFA 11 comes out.

By the way, the gameplay now in FIFA as compared to eight years ago isn't even close.

# 75 Moses Shuttlesworth @ 04/13/10 07:03 AM
Yeah, but he's saying after eight years the game hasn't reached the level of excitement he was looking for. Makes complete sense, but IMO it's still incredibly fun and the best soccer game out. I have no complaints.

# 76 FORMULA316 @ 04/13/10 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXboxur
I'll be picking this up on 360 fo sho! Wish it had custom tournaments online and whatnot, but whatevs. And I know I won't go back to FIFA 10 after I play this. Going back will be a regression. I'll just play the heck out of this until FIFA 11 comes out. Might as well trade FIFA 10 in when I get this.
Can't agree at all with this. WC10 does little to distance itself from FIFA10.

# 77 TheTruth @ 04/13/10 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXboxur
I will sell fifa 10 as well...simply because I dont have enough room in my game rotation for two soccer games and Fifa 11 will most likely be released only 5 months later anyway.

I haven't read too much about this game but will it have online team play like in fifa?

# 78 KG @ 04/13/10 11:34 AM
Quote:

What camera are you playing on?

I only play on Tele and that's the default so I can see how someone would be underwhelmed by the graphics considering it's so far zoomed out. I think the players faces look pretty spot on which is tough considering how many players are in a footy game.

Since you haven't played FIFA in a while I won't comment on your gameplay comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeruvianPlaya954
I am. The gameplay is better, sicker (though I'm not sure about the speed).
Hopefully you will be doing a US Men's dynasty again. Your last one was a good read.

# 79 woody2goody @ 04/13/10 12:04 PM
I bought FIFA 10 when it first came out, and although I liked it at first, it was far too buggy and something about it just didn't click for me. However after playing the demo of FIFA world cup 2010, I have to say that this is potentially the best football game I've ever played.

The good: The world map menu is fantastic, the physical battles seem really well balanced, shooting is quicker and ball physics are spot on. Keepers are sharp but beatable. Presentation is brilliant - the coaches are there too which adds a lot -(next up club coaches in FIFA 11 please)

the bad: Not much really - midfield play is still a bit flaky, confetti on pitch isn't rendered well, demo match is too effing short!

# 80 NateTeut @ 04/13/10 12:11 PM
Worth pointing out about the commentary: I would almost guarantee that the reason it sounds so much like a CB radio as a few folks have pointed out is because it most likely had to be compressed way down just to fit on the demo. Sound files are a huge space-eater on the discs. My expectations are that it will sound "normal" when the game actually ships....

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.