Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

Gamespot has posted a Q&A session with Jason Danahy, animation director on Madden NFL 11, detailing the new dual stick controls.

Quote:
Gamespot: "Before we get into the details of how dual-stick controls work, can you explain the philosophy behind the new control system? What are you looking to accomplish? "

Jason: "We spent time looking at highlights of some the great running backs (Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith, etc.), as well as game film of today’s running backs. We broke down why these guys were successful when running the ball and decided to focus in on two basic points: footwork and body control.

What we found was that a lot of these guys set defenders up with a quick plant or series of plants (breakdown). They would plant to one side and see how the defender would react to that and then decide what to do next based off of the defender...maybe a juke to the outside, maybe a spin back to the inside, or just cut and go.

They also had great control of their upper body. They knew when to try and deliver a hit to a defender and when to protect the ball and try and avoid taking a big hit. They could steer into a defender they were trying to truck, as well as turn their bodies away from defenders to not take the big shot and try to slip through a tackle or be able to fall forward to get that extra yard."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 green94 @ 04/20/10 07:42 PM
Sounds and looks good... only thing I didn't like was the apparent brush off of Defensive controls...

# 62 Hova57 @ 04/20/10 07:49 PM
i just hope that they make the hitstick more responsive sometimes you hit stick down it would hit up and vice cersa

# 63 Joborule @ 04/20/10 08:01 PM
Hmm, pretty interesting stuff there. I always wanted to have more control in players juke and power movements since playing with NHL. Seems like this Dual Stick control is implemented with that style of flavour.

# 64 rootofalleli @ 04/20/10 08:02 PM
This is, I hope, the innovation we've been waiting for. Timing this to coincide with the locomotion changes is very smart. I don't think these features would have meant as much without a greater emphasis on momentum and acceleration. This year will see a lot more strategy and versatility in the running game.

# 65 43Chargers4Now @ 04/20/10 08:14 PM
Wow, those controls look REALLY good. I wouldn't be surprised if half the people online end up being the Vikings or the Titans.

# 66 Joborule @ 04/20/10 08:26 PM
I really hope that control of using these moves is reasonable and players don't have too much speed getting in an out of these combo juke animations, especially in non ideal weather conditions. This feature should be used realistically instead of feeling arcadish when it comes to online play because those players will take advantage of it looking a bit ridiculous or overeffective.

# 67 WFColonel56 @ 04/20/10 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Chargers4Now
Wow, those controls look REALLY good. I wouldn't be surprised if half the people online end up being the Vikings or the Titans.
85% already are....yes its sad but with the new LOCO that should change

# 68 SouthernBrick @ 04/20/10 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFColonel56
85% already are....yes its sad but with the new LOCO that should change
I hardly ever face the Titans online but, I've faced the Vikes quite a bit.

On another note I really do hope they implement this thing right and get it done. They showed us vids like this last year before that liked like a improvement only to be let down. I got a feeling I'm going to be let down but, there's a little light of hope.

Ian and Co. get it done right.

# 69 Droopy03 @ 04/20/10 08:53 PM
I agree with LB the running game has been real boring and I think this will spice up the running game.

# 70 61woods @ 04/20/10 10:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG0_keS_mWw - Man, with the new Dual Stick Controls, I hope it will be possible to pull off this exact juke in Madden 11 with the likes of DeSean Jackson, Chris Johnson, Reggie Bush, etc.

# 71 oneamongthefence @ 04/20/10 10:53 PM
Maybe we will see more than the same 4 teams online next year with the revamped run controls. On another note I wish they would do blogs about how they're tuning stuff and fixing everything already in the game. Defense ai mostly.

# 72 Rocky @ 04/21/10 12:24 AM
Ugh...I hope the player in the first vid had a 184 agility rating.

# 73 johnnyg713 @ 04/21/10 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Ugh...I hope the player in the first vid had a 184 agility rating.
Im def gonna assume he had a 99 agility rating just so they can show off what the top guys can do..

# 74 bigsmallwood @ 04/21/10 12:31 AM
Sounds cool, but must see it in action...not tech Demo before I make a sound decision on if this is going to be useful.

# 75 carnalnirvana @ 04/21/10 03:54 AM
more gimmicks, how about some player tendencies instead, this looks like it is going to be abused

# 76 booker21 @ 04/21/10 09:07 AM
hmmm i feel this won´t have any really impact in how the game is played.
But i´m guessing..

# 77 dmick4324 @ 04/21/10 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QJBeat
They should have utilized the vacant buttons. For example, letting you reach the ball foward to gain extra yardage.
Definitly a cool idea. This would go really well with the leans as you weave your way through the hole, hit a defender then put your hand out with the ball to reach for the first.

# 78 lolfalconsbeatu @ 04/21/10 12:00 PM
Overall, I like the attention the are putting on this. I can tell they are putting an emphasis on getting rid of 'canned' animations. This will definitely take some time getting use to, because I understand the concept behind 'trucking', but I just want to still feel like I'm in control of when Michael Turner trucks the would-be defender. I feel like, yeah we all will have more control--but in essence this control will be better utilized from a 'shifty' back (Reggie Bush, Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson)...because I can trigger a juke/spin/or lean through a whole, but now, I cant trigger a 'trucking' animation. Maybe I'm looking too much into this, but I hope Michael Turner, Brandon Jacobs, Deagelo Williams still have that trucking ability based on timing just like the new features with leaning, spinning, and jukes are all based on timing.

Also, I'm surprised nobody really mentioned this, but maybe this will eventually help that 'Tron Jogging' because of all the leaning that they are really trying to force you to use. In the videos, I do see that the player does still get kind of straight up, but its definitely a step in the right direction.

# 79 moneal2001 @ 04/21/10 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvava
more gimmicks, how about some player tendencies instead, this looks like it is going to be abused
It's funny that people ask for gameplay improvements, and when they give a gameplay improvement they call it a gimmick. Please explain to me how this is a gimmick. Thanks

# 80 -DaVe- @ 04/21/10 12:50 PM
Hey EA how about removing that darn stick behind the fanny running style? It makes me cringe when I see these RB's run through a pile with their spine straight up...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.