Home
Backbreaker News Post

Check out the official Backbreaker TV commercial spot.

Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Blzer @ 04/27/10 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
I just wish they give us an option to have the Camera shake alittle after big hits, like the old clips of the game.
Same, I miss that too. I wonder if maybe that looks better as a sequence of hits or if it really would look good when playing.

# 82 PGaither84 @ 04/28/10 12:14 AM
My big questions are regarding line play. Madden 10 and prior don't have good line play, but that isn't the point. If BB has true NFL line play and interactions with Natural motion, that will be the big turning point. i think that if BB can recreate a true on-the-filed pro-football level of game play, Ian and EA will take notice. Ian said on OS last year that Natural motion looks nice, and he wished the BB team the best of luck, but he wants to see it in action before even thinking about using euphoria in Madden.

# 83 spankdatazz22 @ 04/28/10 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
My big questions are regarding line play. Madden 10 and prior don't have good line play, but that isn't the point. If BB has true NFL line play and interactions with Natural motion, that will be the big turning point. i think that if BB can recreate a true on-the-filed pro-football level of game play, Ian and EA will take notice.
Really don't see why it matters if "Ian takes notice". Let me get this straight: Madden 10 and prior Maddens don't have good line play, but that isn't the point"...? That's exactly the point. Team Tiburon with every advantage in the world with exclusivity, a huge development team, and years of development time - can't get lineplay straight but that's an expectation from a smaller development team, without the licenses to lean on, and with no prior football game experience? That just goes to show how ridiculously low expectations are when it comes to the Tiburon football games. Another developer is basically expected to do with one hand tied behind it's back (because of exclusivity and dev time) what Tiburon hasn't been able to do with every advantage in the world. Sad.

That said, I am getting a little more anxious to get my hands on Backbreaker and see the behavior-based technology behind the game.

# 84 Methlab @ 04/28/10 10:29 AM
Ian is super cool and I literally live right next to his office, but who cares what EA thinks? They are obviously still on a cloud of disillusion and we already know from community day that Madden is not going to change much.

# 85 LeonM @ 04/28/10 10:39 AM
Just for the record. Backbreaker did use motion captures in their game for the running etc. Euphoria takes hold when it comes to human behavior and human ability. I think that Euphoria will shape the AI in this game. Angles that players take to make and avoid contact. It's not just about the tackles.

# 86 boom.h @ 04/28/10 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Really don't see why it matters if "Ian takes notice". Let me get this straight: Madden 10 and prior Maddens don't have good line play, but that isn't the point"...? That's exactly the point. Team Tiburon with every advantage in the world with exclusivity, a huge development team, and years of development time - can't get lineplay straight but that's an expectation from a smaller development team, without the licenses to lean on, and with no prior football game experience? That just goes to show how ridiculously low expectations are when it comes to the Tiburon football games. Another developer is basically expected to do with one hand tied behind it's back (because of exclusivity and dev time) what Tiburon hasn't been able to do with every advantage in the world. Sad.

That said, I am getting a little more anxious to get my hands on Backbreaker and see the behavior-based technology behind the game.
Why do you insist on embarrassing forum members with logic and intelligence as sharp as this post? Meanie.

# 87 yardz23 @ 04/28/10 02:19 PM
Quote:

Great, great post.

# 88 shavane @ 04/28/10 02:26 PM
Afrikan - you can take your choice from either one of your gifs and they both made this game a must have for me. Other clips that locked BB in for me are the interception in the endzone, and the diving catch one. In particular the gif where the runner is wearing green made it impossible for me not to get this game. There is so many different things going on in that one play than I've ever seen in a full game of Madden. Its so much more robust and life like which is something that everyone should be looking forward to.

# 89 23 @ 04/28/10 11:52 PM
Quote:

Agreed to the umpth degree on the low expectations and satisfied attitude of the just enough syndrome that has taken over EA and trickled down to the fans.

Its very sad

# 90 AndyP @ 04/30/10 01:23 PM
For what is the first release, I am very optimistic about this game. I don't expect perfection, there isn't a first version of any game that has been perfect.

# 91 mestevo @ 04/30/10 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP
For what is the first release, I am very optimistic about this game. I don't expect perfection, there isn't a first version of any game that has been perfect.
Miss too much or the wrong things though, and it becomes an only effort, not a 1st effort.

# 92 radatdude2 @ 04/30/10 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Miss too much or the wrong things though, and it becomes an only effort, not a 1st effort.
many titles have produced 4th and 5th efforts which are still failures in terms of game play

# 93 mestevo @ 04/30/10 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by radatdude2
many titles have produced 4th and 5th efforts which are still failures in terms of game play
That proves my point, no? If Backbreaker is only fun for people to pick up and play one-off games, but is missing too many other things in it's modes they will seem tacked on and it won't be successful enough for a 2nd game.

See also: All Pro Football 2k8.

# 94 JayBee74 @ 04/30/10 05:49 PM
Quote:
That proves my point, no? If Backbreaker is only fun for people to pick up and play one-off games, but is missing too many other things in it's modes they will seem tacked on and it won't be successful enough for a 2nd game.

See also: All Pro Football 2k8.
Bad comparison-the only thing similar to APF 2K8 and BB is no NFL licence. Road To Backbreaker is a completely unique angle for pro football.
Custom Mode- Tweak and arrange everything and anything you want from the roster to the playoffs to the amount of teams in the season, 8-16-32.
Season Mode- Core aspect, take one of the premade teams or create your own and take them through either a 8, 16 or 32 team league season. arrange aspects such as player draft and scouting to your liking.
Backbreaker Mode- The mode the game was named after, take a created team through a rags to riches story and start from the ground up and become the best team on the field.

# 95 mestevo @ 04/30/10 05:59 PM
Yeah, it's like Blitz's lone franchise mode, win and move to the next level.

The depth that they provide in those modes will dictate the overall success of the game, just like APF2k8.

# 96 JayBee74 @ 04/30/10 06:12 PM
Quote:
Yeah, it's like Blitz's lone franchise mode, win and move to the next level.

The depth that they provide in those modes will dictate the overall success of the game, just like APF2k8.
What are you talking about? APF 2K8 had a very rigid single season mode and a requirement of two controllers to play a game between two custom teams-and you couldn't edit players! And many of the players were on the same team. (OJ, John Elway, Mike Ditka).

# 97 JayBee74 @ 04/30/10 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
Exclusivity doesn't have anything to do with the BB devs' ability to program a football game with regard to how it plays on the field. Nor have these devs "had one hand tied behind their backs" with regard to dev cycle time. This game has been in the works for quite a while and they've not been handcuffed to a hard release date or dev cycle.
That means they will make a great football game.

# 98 Blzer @ 04/30/10 11:00 PM
I only hope if this game becomes successful that they don't bust out iteration after iteration every year, I hope that they instead go a two-year route (even if they are able to use the NFL license), at least for the second time around. Actually even a bit longer, as they would then be able to release it in August 2012 instead of May. That way it can kind of claim itself to be the complete game that NM wants it to be. Pumping yearly sports titles out isn't exactly my favorite thing to see.

# 99 JayBee74 @ 05/01/10 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
Thus far the gameplay footage that has been released and hands-on previews don't support that notion. There's a reason why that commercial only showed close-up action shots of tackles and one throw and catch.
Oh, there's a reason......and that being???

# 100 noshun @ 05/01/10 03:39 AM
Quote:

great post.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.