Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

It all started with Smashman hearing Gus Johnson in the Drew Brees announcement trailer. Then even more heads started to turn with him involved in the recent Madden NFL 11 exclusive debut trailer.

Check out the details from Gamestop on the PSP version of Madden NFL 11. Surely this can't be just a PSP exclusive, right? Big thanks to @esilk5 for the keen eyes.

This probably all but seals it.

Update: Gamestop removed the Gus Johnson text, but we still have it here, if you missed it.

Quote:
"Exciting New Commentary—Gus Johnson, one of the most electrifying play-by-play commentators in sports, joins Cris Collinsworth in the booth, bringing a whole new level of excitement on every play."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 ch46647 @ 04/24/10 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade44
Well I personally am 85-90% sure we will see some sort of Network Integration.

I say this because If you watch the new '11 gameplay stuff it has the same overlays from last year on there. Madden has never kept overlays 2 years ina row, they change them up. I feel like they are using last years to keep this years a secret, unless its network presentation, why would they need a secret?

# 42 Bgamer90 @ 04/24/10 05:54 PM
If you guys want to believe that it will go ahead...

I mean even the CD guys have said that the ESPN/NFLN disagreement is true.

Also, in terms of "overlays", all I saw was the scorebug and that was pretty much the same but with slightly different text.

(Oh and the scorebug in Madden 08 was the same as 07... so yeah, overlays don't always completely change each year) .

# 43 Bgamer90 @ 04/24/10 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backbreaker
Gus Johnson will not mean anything, until EA get better directors and script writers as well as Dynamic, progressive commentary code writers. I really think all sports game makers should worship at the altar of whoever wrote the code for Visual concepts in their basketball and baseball games. These guys are cutting edge when it comes to commentary. If EA still have the same audio engineers doing the same things they have done with michaels, hammond, well you know how it ends.

Maybe his passion can be translated, lord knows I hope so.
Well for one they do have a new guy doing the audio for the game.

Also, while you can blame the system being old for commentary, Hammond just showed no energy at all. You can make the commentary system better by making his lines flow and he'll sound better but overall, that's not going to fix how monotone he sounds.

One of the funniest lines from him is, "EA Sports... if it's in the game... it's in the game?". lol it's like couldn't you sound at least a bit more enthusiastic and not say the line in form of a question? Even though the commentary system was old, Collinsworth still sounded pretty good because he made what he said sound like he was having a discussion while on the other hand Tom sounded like he was just reading things off a sheet of paper.

From the short bits that I heard from Gus in the game, he has way more energy/enthusiasm than Tom did.

# 44 MattIntellect @ 04/24/10 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
If you guys want to believe that it will go ahead...

I mean even the CD guys have said that the ESPN/NFLN disagreement is true.

Also, in terms of "overlays", all I saw was the scorebug and that was pretty much the same but with slightly different text.

(Oh and the scorebug in Madden 08 was the same as 07... so yeah, overlays don't always completely change each year) .
I believe that the ESPN/NFLN disagreement is true myself, but there's no denying that they can exclusively use NFL Network, which they've already used, and improve it, or maybe add CBS to the picture. As far as the scorebug, the Madden 08 one was slightly different compared to Madden 07's, if you look at the EA logo. You could be right on this though. They may not have added new overlays to the game. I just can't believe that they didn't, considering the constant change in the overall look of the games the last two years. Here's my list of possibilities of what they might be doing to the the presentation this year:
  • They are only using their generic EA Sports presentation with updated cutscenes, and possibly more, such as a pregame, halftime, and postgame show
  • They are using a combination of their own presentation and other networks
  • They are using new presentation, but has not released it in their early videos (probably to introduce it later as a surprise, or due to the game not being finished)
  • They are not changing much to the presentation to focus on other aspects of the game

# 45 jb12780 @ 04/24/10 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsRock91
MY NAME'S PEYTON MANNING AND I GET TOUCHDOWNS!

((someone catch that reference, please...))
Knicks game.

# 46 Bgamer90 @ 04/24/10 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattIntellect
I believe that the ESPN/NFLN disagreement is true myself, but there's no denying that they can exclusively use NFL Network, which they've already used, and improve it, or maybe add CBS to the picture. As far as the scorebug, the Madden 08 one was slightly different compared to Madden 07's, if you look at the EA logo. You could be right on this though. They may not have added new overlays to the game. I just can't believe that they didn't, considering the constant change in the overall look of the games the last two years. Here's my list of possibilities of what they might be doing to the the presentation this year:
  • They are only using their generic EA Sports presentation with updated cutscenes, and possibly more, such as a pregame, halftime, and postgame show
  • They are using a combination of their own presentation and other networks
  • They are using new presentation, but has not released it in their early videos (probably to introduce it later as a surprise, or due to the game not being finished)
  • They are not changing much to the presentation to focus on other aspects of the game
Out of your list of possibilities, the one I made bolder are what I predict that we are going to see in a combination.

We'll still have ea sports presentation but we will be getting more of what you said in the first statement I made bolder, along with completely new presentation features.

Quote:
...there's no denying that they can exclusively use NFL Network, which they've already used, and improve it, or maybe add CBS to the picture.
In terms of personalities they can do it but they won't be able to actually use CBS, NFLN, etc. logos on the in game presentation aspects of Madden 11.

# 47 marcoyk @ 04/24/10 08:52 PM
That's awesome. Definitely will add some excitement. Can't wait.

# 48 K_GUN @ 04/24/10 08:55 PM
this, if true, is fantastic

hammond didn't even know players names for christ sake

stick to horses tom

welcome gus

# 49 scitychamps87 @ 04/26/10 04:24 PM
after reading through the previews today. i have a great feeling about madden 11. i might be criticized for this but i thought madden 10 was a decent game. i think madden 11 will be excellent. i know presentation will be a lot better due to the fact of ea hiding all the info. i see cbs and nfln coming in to the picture at a rapid rate.

# 50 MrSkagTrendy @ 05/01/10 07:40 PM
You can hear Gus again in the 2nd developer video.

All but confirmed

# 51 nuckles2k2 @ 05/01/10 09:56 PM
"He's got get away from the cops speed!!!!"

# 52 LeonM @ 05/01/10 11:41 PM
Gus Johnson is an excellent choice to be the play by play voice for Madden. Let's hope that they got alot of audio out of him so that his comments don't seem repetitive.

I am really hoping that EA gets the presentation side of things right this year. They took a positive step forward last year with The Extra Point. They need to push it further this year especially when it comes to offline franchise mode. I am really hoping that there are weekly wrap up shows just like 2K had with 2K5.

# 53 adembroski @ 05/02/10 05:11 AM
There may be something to the argument that a more robust system for playing commentary is necessary to really bring commentary to life, a commentator with some life would go a long way toward alleviating the problem. And, honestly, they could have the best commentary system in the history of sports games, it wouldn't mean jack with Hammond in the booth.

Collinsworth is a good example. Most like him, but feel he needs more varied lines and more speaking opportunities.

# 54 at23steelers @ 05/02/10 09:08 AM
Yeah, the best solution I think is just to have them announce prior games. The information now that Hammond and Collinsworth give is just so general in basic. There is no background on the team or players, it's just, "That RB is pro-bowl caliber." The only background they have is for QB's. They need more discussion between the two, to make it flow more.

# 55 Bgamer90 @ 05/02/10 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
There may be something to the argument that a more robust system for playing commentary is necessary to really bring commentary to life, a commentator with some life would go a long way toward alleviating the problem. And, honestly, they could have the best commentary system in the history of sports games, it wouldn't mean jack with Hammond in the booth.

Collinsworth is a good example. Most like him, but feel he needs more varied lines and more speaking opportunities.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
Couldn't agree more. Collinsworth was good, IMO, because of the way his commentary flowed...sounded much like he does when calling a game IRL.

However, the way they have the commentary set up and the lines they use to death are the main culprits, IMO. Yeah, Hammond sucked, but SURELY EA must've seen and heard this as the lines were being recorded?
It's funny that you say this since I remember seeing an interview with Phil Frazier for Madden 09 and he was talking about the new commentary and how good Collinsworth was but he never said anything about Hammond (lol). I wouldn't be surprised if they thought that he was bad too but couldn't do anything about it maybe due to contractual reasons.

# 56 LeonM @ 05/02/10 10:22 AM
It's probably too late in the process but Madden should have Mike Mayock doing all the draft stuff like Kiper did in 2K5. Mayock is the best in the business right now. I also miss the Tony Bruno show on Madden. I liked the concept in franchise. A Rich Eisen NFL Network recap show would be awesome. I know that I am asking for too much but EA is asking for 65 dollars.

# 57 nuckles2k2 @ 05/02/10 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonM
It's probably too late in the process but Madden should have Mike Mayock doing all the draft stuff like Kiper did in 2K5. Mayock is the best in the business right now. I also miss the Tony Bruno show on Madden. I liked the concept in franchise. A Rich Eisen NFL Network recap show would be awesome. I know that I am asking for too much but EA is asking for 65 dollars.
#1) I agree. I still fire up Madden 06 (PS2) on the PS3 from time to time and I kind of smile to myself when I hear the Tony Bruno show.

#2) Keep Eisen the hell away from Madden.

# 58 LeonM @ 05/02/10 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
#1) I agree. I still fire up Madden 06 (PS2) on the PS3 from time to time and I kind of smile to myself when I hear the Tony Bruno show.

#2) Keep Eisen the hell away from Madden.
LOL. Alot of people are not big fans of Eisen but imagine if Madden had a weekly highlights recap show with Eisen and two other hosts breaking down the weekly games. I mention Eisen because it looks like EA leans toward NFL Network integration in the game rather than ESPN.

Gus Johnson was an excellent choice for Madden. He has the right amount of energy and charisma to do a great job with the voiceovers in the game. If the right amount of audio is taped for the game, His calls won't become annoying or repetitive.

# 59 TheWatcher @ 05/02/10 11:49 AM
^^^ Just replace Alex Flanagan with Reischea Canidate, and they've got my attention

# 60 nuckles2k2 @ 05/02/10 12:54 PM
If they absolutely had to have Eisen in the game, then I guess I could stomach it. But he really just pisses me off.

To Reischea tho, lol.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.