Home
NCAA Football 11 News Post

Check out the new NCAA Football 11 video featuring offensive styles.

Game: NCAA Football 11Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 83 - View All
NCAA Football 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 fincane @ 04/23/10 10:00 PM
The pistol is an offense and not just a formation if you are Nevada. Its all they lineup in I believe.

# 62 LionsFanNJ @ 04/23/10 10:23 PM
As long as there's better o line/d line play this year, and i can field a defense that can stop people i'll be happy. I'm also liking the variations to every offense now, including better option blocking. My only hope is that the CPU recruits to their offense/defense. I hope to hear some stuff about the D later on before release.

the no-huddle sounds pretty cool.

oh and i still want dreadlocks, but at least i've gotten an answer in another thread. ('12 baby ish gets real!!)

# 63 boritter @ 04/25/10 02:50 AM
Doesn't it look like the players catching/carrying the ball are on ice skates?

# 64 jsquigg @ 04/25/10 07:05 PM
I'll be getting this simply to finally run the spread option and get to read a defender. From my vantage point the game seems to have finally made some great strides in game play. I still don't trust Ben and Russ though based on the past....

# 65 SoulAssassin @ 04/26/10 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkills
Bobby Petrino doesn't run a west coast offense at Arkansas. From what I understand it's called the power spread. And the run and shoot isn't simply "throwing the ball 60 times a game and getting rid of it quickly" it's receivers changing their routes on the fly as the play develops depending on the coverage. That's something that hasn't been replicated in a videogame other than Joe Montana NFL 1994 of all games. And isn't the pistol just a formation rather than an entire offensive scheme?

Either way, thanks to the devs for making this part of the game. This is a definite buy for me come July.
^this. Joe Montana was classic

# 66 Phobia @ 04/26/10 05:55 PM
I will say the DL/OL interactions look 10x better than last years. When they engage each other it does not have that brick wall effect. Someone was always being pushed one way or the other.

# 67 sozo @ 04/27/10 01:08 AM
That gameplay video that wasn't supposed to be released by EA really gave me a bad first impression but after seeing some of these new videos I feel a lot better about the whole locomotion aspect. Can't wait for the demo to get a feel for the weight of the players, gawk at that amazing lighting, check out the new equipment and see for myself if the gameplay has been as dramatically improved as they say it has been.

# 68 Thaen @ 04/27/10 07:26 AM
this 120 ways to win thing makes me think they will have to have some kind of coach options, like DE defend RUN->PASS slider or QB RUN->PASS slider, or some kind of coaching attributes with their styles or something. cus i don't think it will work purely off of AI and if it does kind has me worried it will be buggy then

# 69 Crimsontide27 @ 04/27/10 08:25 AM
I am getting very, very nervous about defense this year. There has not been a video shown to date, wether it be Madden or NCAA that has any simblence of defense.

On running plays the DEs get sucked into blocking immediatly and allow the rusher to get to the outside for 40+ yrd runs constantly. On passing plays the defense sags off enough so that there is a very high chance of a completion on each throw. If you slow the videos down you can even see how the defense is in a posistion to make a play, but actually pause for a second to create the seperation needed to get a completion moments before the receiver catches the ball.

Graphics as usual look pretty top notch, but with all of this offensive power in the game and the defense still having a terrible AI , I can certainly see this game getting frustrating pretty quick.

# 70 ODogg @ 04/27/10 08:54 AM
Dude, EA is never going to display videos showcasing defense, the public wants offense. That really doesn't mean anything.

# 71 noplace @ 04/27/10 09:03 AM
Very interested to see how much time and effort EA put into this. They never get Nebraska’s playbook right although I must say Sean Watson has been all over the place with his strategies and game plans. I always have to use someone else playbook to get things even remotely close.

# 72 Crimsontide27 @ 04/27/10 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Dude, EA is never going to display videos showcasing defense, the public wants offense. That really doesn't mean anything.
I dont need a video specificaly displaying defense. What I would like is a video that actually has any defense played, while they are touting their offensive plays.

If you look at all the videos and notice the scores, they are all high scoring games. NCAAs widely taunted " wide open gameplay" from a previous series was a diaster and Im not seeing anything that goes against that in any of the videos previously released.

# 73 MCSquared16 @ 04/27/10 07:23 PM
I agree with hoping for some D improvements, but its also important to remember that all of these videos are on the veteran difficulty, so here's hoping some of this stuff (the separation you mentioned, etc) disappears a bit on higher difficulties.

# 74 canes21 @ 04/27/10 07:38 PM
Its on Varsity, not veteran.

And I think the reason we don't see many defensive videos is because defense is more of a reaction part of the game and not all strategy like offense. On offense you're always trying to gain mismatches, catch the defense off guard, set other plays up, etc. On defense, your trying to counter their play call and stop the play from working. Like calling a nickel when they bring that extra WR out, or calling a 4-4 when they bring out a tight formation.

# 75 MCSquared16 @ 04/27/10 07:52 PM
Thanks, I knew it started with a "V" but I blanked. haha

I agree, I just hope they get it right as far as the D is concerned. I like what I see with the offenses, I just hope good Ds will be able to counteract the O like they should. (Especially seeing how the CPU would go beastmode in the hurry-up before)

# 76 Crimsontide27 @ 04/27/10 08:48 PM
There is no excuse that can be used that explains the lack of defense in this series, none at all. Wide open gameplay was one of the worst " features " ever introduced into this series.

There is no excuse for the entire line, linebackers, corners, and safetys to all run to the inside and allow 50+ yard runs where the running back is untouched. There is no excuse for the DBs and safetys intentionally taking themselves out of the play just so you can get a catch, and there is no excuse for every slant, hook, curl and post route to be open and unguarded 100% of the time.

# 77 tyman21 @ 04/27/10 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkills
Bobby Petrino doesn't run a west coast offense at Arkansas. From what I understand it's called the power spread. And the run and shoot isn't simply "throwing the ball 60 times a game and getting rid of it quickly" it's receivers changing their routes on the fly as the play develops depending on the coverage. That's something that hasn't been replicated in a videogame other than Joe Montana NFL 1994 of all games. And isn't the pistol just a formation rather than an entire offensive scheme?

Either way, thanks to the devs for making this part of the game. This is a definite buy for me come July.
Arkansas is implementing a lot of the Pistol offense this year, since they got the guy from Nevada who championed it. Also, I'm not sure why thy would mention that you need a QB that can run in the Pistol?

# 78 GunTrpsRtRioBootX @ 04/27/10 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Its on Varsity, not veteran.

And I think the reason we don't see many defensive videos is because defense is more of a reaction part of the game and not all strategy like offense. On offense you're always trying to gain mismatches, catch the defense off guard, set other plays up, etc. On defense, your trying to counter their play call and stop the play from working. Like calling a nickel when they bring that extra WR out, or calling a 4-4 when they bring out a tight formation.
I beg to differ. Defense is as much strategy-oriented as offense. While there are obviously many teams who rely on their athletes to make plays in a base defense (Texas is the best example), and play a much more reactionary role as you say, others utilize various stunts/movements/coverages to keep the offense guessing (Bama's style of play).

Another thing that contributes to defensive strategy is adjustments, not just to formations but techniques and assignments within particular formations/coverages.

For instance: a spread team picks apart a soft defense on the perimeter with bubble screens on one drive. The defense comes out the next series and instead of playing a soft cover 4 they play cover 2 and jam the #1 receivers to prevent those easy perimeter plays.

Another example: an I team is gashing a 4-3 defense with iso because the center is getting a free release on the MLB. So the defensive coaches have a DT move down to a shade on the center so he won't get that free release.

Unfortunately, the defensive side of the ball is not flaunted as much as offense. Therefore more attention is given to offense because that's what more fans understand. And let's be honest....in some places they don't even play defense

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.