Home
NCAA Football 11 News Post

This past week in NYC NCAA Football 11 Designer Russ Kiniry was showing off how locomotion works.

******** src="http://player.ooyala.com/player.js?deepLinkEmbedCode=tqNzJkMTozNB9mKWSQp8ZS B4OCdEEpCh&embedCode=tqNzJkMTozNB9mKWSQp8ZSB4OCdEEpCh&width=592&hide=sharing%2Cendscreen&height=340">

Game: NCAA Football 11Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 83 - View All
NCAA Football 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 TheKasmar @ 04/27/10 01:18 PM
On the run play, the movement looks very similar to NCAA 10. The same awkward movement with a couple of jukes. For a video that's supposed to feature this so called "locomotion" it didn't make much of an impression on me either way.

I cant judge the replays until I've seen more footage. I hope the replays are varied and show some of what we would see on any football Saturday. The developers have plenty of materials and references of broadcast presentation at their disposal.

# 62 Shade Shadows @ 04/27/10 10:50 PM
@ 1:52, please tell me I did not STILL just see the running back run in place behind an O-lineman.

# 63 moylan1234 @ 04/28/10 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
the camera we've been playing with since Bill Walsh on Sega Genesis has been the behind the offense camera, thats not what we see on tv but it's the best camera to allow you to see everything thats going on.

NBA 2k10 has a broadcast camera but i and many others use the 2k camera that goes up and down the court instead of left and right because it allows you to see things better. So the angles they use actually do provide optimal view of the play.

If people want a broadcast camera then thats fine it just allows more options for those that want it but i agree with the person that said things dont need to be 100% exactly like we see on tv because there are other angles that shows things off better like the camera that they've been using the past 15+ years.
Lava is talking about the replay camera angles not the gameplay cameras

# 64 fincane @ 04/28/10 01:47 AM
The point he is making is that this cry for EA living up to authenticity should also include only having the broadcast camera angle as the gameplay camera. Since exactly what we see in real life is what should be portrayed in the game according to some. We certainly don't see the view of behind the offense in real college games during live action.

# 65 moylan1234 @ 04/28/10 02:00 AM
there's a very long thread already dedicated to the broadcast cam. I think it should be in for an option, but the fact is the current cam is better suited for most gamers. There's no real argument for some of the replays we've seen so far.

# 66 TheWatcher @ 04/28/10 07:55 AM
Quote:
i love how you claim they have the ability to have those replays without any proof to support that statement. They dont have the ability to do some of the things they do with the replays in the game because they dont have camera guys at every single position to catch those things.
I'm sorry, but this is totally false. I know 2 things for a fact:

1. There is no game on planet earth being programmed in some variation of C, that you can't program to show what ever angle you want. In fact, you could program a match to any angle a TV broadcast team can do and then some. I find it funny that people are giving all of these passes to Tiburon, when there are a number of games in the past and games currently that have gotten these right.

2. I sat right next to Ian Cummings while he was showing me a tool they use to set angles to whatever they want.

Thirdly, replay angles are only part of this, that one point is being overblown. This is about all of their camera work. No, it's not authentic. That's just the way it is. If a person likes it, great. But when the creators say it's authentic ESPN presentation when it's not, then of course you should expect that to be challenged.

None of this is a matter of "they can't do this because they don't have TV camera's". They have tools to set the angles to whatever they want, but for whatever reason they want to tell us it's the real deal while delivering the opposite.

# 67 ODogg @ 04/28/10 09:05 AM
I'd rather them do what looks best, not just replicate what is on TV. I actually liked the replay shown of the defender blocking the pass. So what if it's not on TV??!!

# 68 TheWatcher @ 04/28/10 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I'd rather them do what looks best, not just replicate what is on TV. I actually liked the replay shown of the defender blocking the pass. So what if it's not on TV??!!
To reiterate, what looks best is a matter of opinion. My opinion is that the replay angle looks cool (but again, this is more about all of their camera work, not just the replay angle). My opinion in addition to that, is broadcast angles look even cooler (see MLB The Show, 2K5, NBA 2K, APF) But "cool" was never in question. The fact is that it's not an ESPN broadcast angle as they are trying to come across with.

Rivals summed it up best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivals
If realism isn't the goal, then why even bother modeling football players in the game at all? Why not just use Super Mario characters. They could score touchdowns, or use Mortal Combat finishing moves to score extra points. Oh, that's right. Because if it's in the game, IT'S IN THE GAME. Thus, the discussion is driven by comparing the video game with what's in real live football games.

Besides, in this context, going outside and playing football in your backyard is about as real as sitting on the couch playing football with your Wii Nunchuk controller in hand. Suuuure. Uncle Rico replays from the camcorder are just like Saturday night SEC football replays. Minus 90,000 people, goal posts, hash marks, lights, athletes...

And I can only speak for myself, but I don't think anyone is telling EA to sacrifice gameplay for replay angles. There are plenty of threads discussing gameplay. This is simply one thread discussing a different facet of the game. Gameplay, presentation, graphics, functionality etc. are all important. I'm not a physicist, so my opinion is limited when it comes to gameplay issues. However, I do cover college football for a living, so the visual inconsistencies of the game stand out like a sore thumb to me. Playing Uncle Rico out back doesn't exercise those demons.

# 69 Skyboxer @ 04/28/10 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
I might be in the minority here, but I could honestly care less about the replays UNTIL the gameplay is good.
Co-Sign..... in a big way.

# 70 ODogg @ 04/28/10 12:07 PM
It's not possible with EA. So quit expecting it.

# 71 bxgoods @ 04/28/10 12:10 PM
I'm veryyy impressed.
Football games this year have reallly stepped up to plate. After the meh year of Baseball and Basketball games, the sports games really needed a surprise. Both NCAA and Madden look really good, and I haven't gotten a football game in 3 years. I might have to get both Madden and NCAA this year.

# 72 TheWatcher @ 04/28/10 12:16 PM
Quote:
no, in real life they can't show you some of the angles they show you in replays for the game. There aren't cameras on the sideline of the 50 yard line from the ground. Straight from the developers from EA's mouth they said we have the ability to do things that can't be done in real life (when talking about replays).
You're right, but that wasn't my point. Of course you could create something in a video game that you couldn't do in real life. Take for example the swinging field-level to-high wire pre-play cam in Madden 09 that pans twice in the same shot and then swings over to the offense. This would be impractical in real life, and a crazy feat to pull off each time.

My point is, the idea that they can't replicate real life camera's is not accurate, and not only have I seen evidence of them being very much capable of doing it in-person with EA, there are lots of games that have done it as an example. Personally, I'm much more concerned with how they're handling pre-play, post-play angles and post-play player reactions (both of which looked untouched and seem to not have the new locomotion playing any part in it), and cut scenes. Those things in terms of presentation stand out immediately because when they don't line up, it sticks out. I think before they even started down the ESPN road, they should've worked on revamping those problems first.

# 73 TheWatcher @ 04/28/10 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
Just about every single aspect of THE SHOW....from presentation, to physics to AI behaviors to player likeness etc etc etc etc etc....

Never played it i am assuming. With that example...Developers CAN achieve what most of us want in ALOT of areas....It just comes down to execution,talent and time....Differant developers have several differant priorities and vision of what works and what doesnt...what the consumer wants and WHO their target audience actually is.

Its VERY possible with the technology today....VERY.

Back on topic...The funny thing is i really DONT CARE about replays as i click past them 95% of the time anyway. They are GREAT to have as is presentation. But i would GLADY sacrifice replay angles and presentation stuff for SOLID realistic gameplay every day and twice on sunday....

when i want to see a replay...i just go into REPLAY and set up whatever angle i like....
The only issue there is, even if you sacrificed it, it still it wouldn't improve gameplay one bit. The guys coding and developing gameplay mechanics aren't creating the presentation layouts, it's two separate groups, and believe me when you meet them in-person they politely remind you what their area is so you don't spend too much time giving them concepts that they don't work on.

# 74 Lava @ 04/28/10 12:22 PM
Quote:
the camera we've been playing with since Bill Walsh on Sega Genesis has been the behind the offense camera, thats not what we see on tv but it's the best camera to allow you to see everything thats going on.

NBA 2k10 has a broadcast camera but i and many others use the 2k camera that goes up and down the court instead of left and right because it allows you to see things better. So the angles they use actually do provide optimal view of the play.

If people want a broadcast camera then thats fine it just allows more options for those that want it but i agree with the person that said things dont need to be 100% exactly like we see on tv because there are other angles that shows things off better like the camera that they've been using the past 15+ years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan55
Lava is talking about the replay camera angles not the gameplay cameras
Yep. Obviously, it wouldn't be practical to play with replay camera angles.

# 75 Blaise @ 04/28/10 01:07 PM
Gameplay should always be the cake. Presentation is always the icing.

The question that you have to ask yourself is this. "Will I eat the cake if I don't like the icing?"

Maybe the icing isn't what you're used to, or looks the way Paula Deen made it on her tv show. All that really matters is, will you eat the cake?

# 76 rudyjuly2 @ 04/28/10 02:08 PM
Does this video have anything new in it? Can't see it at work and raczilla posted it on twitter?

http://bit.ly/arAA1Q

# 77 jms493 @ 04/28/10 02:13 PM
If my memory serves me correct weren't we able to juke and move with the the left stick last year....then they took it away for some reason this year and now they are putting it back on the right stick for 11. Confused...

# 78 Solidice @ 04/28/10 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Does this video have anything new in it? Can't see it at work and raczilla posted it on twitter?

http://bit.ly/arAA1Q
it's the video that this thread was made for. it was posted on the NCAA 11 website 2 days. I guess they just put it on the Facebook page today.

# 79 ODogg @ 04/28/10 02:55 PM
who do you have to friend on facebook to see this stuff??

# 80 Solidice @ 04/28/10 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
who do you have to friend on facebook to see this stuff??
the NCAA stuff? no one. I don't even have a facebook account.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.