Home
Backbreaker News Post

ESPN Videogames has posted a Q&A session with Rob Donald, Associate Producer of Backbreaker.

Quote:
Jon: "What are the game modes we can expect to play?"

Rob: "Obviously we have the normal Exhibition games, then we also have two season modes which are very different. The first one we just call Season mode, and it's pretty much what you'd expect from a standard season where you take a team and insert them into a custom 8, 16, or 32 team league. Then basically you play your way through the season, it's multiple seasons, so you draft new players and do everything that you'd expect from a Season mode. You can also fill the slots of those teams in Season mode with the teams that we ship with, and we're shipping with over 60 teams. You can also create your own teams and fill the Season mode up with them. You can create 32 teams and put them all in a league against each other, whatever you want to do.

The other season mode is the mode where I see a lot of people spending the majority of their time, and that's Road to Backbreaker. This one is designed around a real sense of originality, and you owning your team and actually progressing your team and taking that team as far as you can. In Road to Backbreaker, you always start with a custom team, so you can start completely from scratch or you can take one of the existing teams, change the name and play around with it. This gives you the ability to do as little or as much customization as you want to do. Then you take that team and you start off in a lowly eight team league. The idea is that if you finish in the top three, you get promoted into a 16 team league then you keep trying to work your way up. It's not what people normally play in a football game, and I think this brings extra value. We're pretty excited about doing something different. In fact, we were kind of worried at first about adding promotion and relegation to the game because that is not something that is featured very heavily in North American sports leagues, but being a U.K. developer, we see the kind of drama this adds year in and year out. From a basketball standpoint, I'm a huge Raptors fan, but I end up every year hoping we tank down the stretch so we get a better draft pick. This never happens in leagues with promotion and relegation. You always have something to fight for, and that's what we want to bring to "Backbreaker."

Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 21 JayBee74 @ 04/28/10 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Road to Backbreaker sounds like a better version of the Blitz league thing, where if you did well you advanced to the next tier.
Yeah, the only info I received is you start in a "lowly" 8 team league and if you finish in the Top Three you're promoted to a 16 team league. I don't the progression after that.

# 22 LeonM @ 04/28/10 08:52 PM
Great article.This game has so much promise. There is no doubt in my mind that this game is going to be fun to play. Tackle alley alone will be amazing but that's not even the mode that I am most looking forward to.

# 23 canes21 @ 04/28/10 09:11 PM
This just took me to a first day buy to a first day buy. haha, too bad I'll be in Florida when the game comes out, so I'll have to wait like an extra 3 days to play.

# 24 radatdude2 @ 04/28/10 09:22 PM
WOW those screens are amazing!!! The player models are being to grow on me cause they are big and showcase so much detail.

# 25 blackscorpion11 @ 04/28/10 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
I like these screens also....

the receiver is trying to prevent an INT.

this stadium looks sick!

That is a nice stadium! But whats with the EUPHORIA banner at the top -right ??? (Tech Demo)

# 26 Gusto1 @ 04/28/10 09:32 PM
There is progression after 16 team league the highest league is 32 teams.

# 27 canes21 @ 04/28/10 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpion11
That is a nice stadium! But whats with the EUPHORIA banner at the top -right ??? (Tech Demo)
Yea, the stadium is nice. Also, the reason there are Euphoria banners is probably because thats the tech used in the game, and the company making the game is probably trying to market their engine in their own game some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusto1
There is progression after 16 team league the highest league is 32 teams.
Correctomundo. 8, 16, and 32 team franchise mode, then in Road to Backbreaker you start off in the 8 team league. Finish in the top 3 and move up to the 16 team league, finish in the bottom 3, move back down, top 3 and you move up to the 32 team league. Bottom 3 you move down, top 3, 29 other spots you stay.

Also, there is no playoffs in this mode. Playoffs are in regular franchise mode though.

# 28 blackscorpion11 @ 04/28/10 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Yea, the stadium is nice. Also, the reason there are Euphoria banners is probably because thats the tech used in the game, and the company making the game is probably trying to market their engine in their own game some.

Correctomundo. 8, 16, and 32 team franchise mode, then in Road to Backbreaker you start off in the 8 team league. Finish in the top 3 and move up to the 16 team league, finish in the bottom 3, move back down, top 3 and you move up to the 32 team league. Bottom 3 you move down, top 3, 29 other spots you stay.

Also, there is no playoffs in this mode. Playoffs are in regular franchise mode though.

Copy that, I was actually making a statement, not really asking a question... I wonder if this is a one-time effort to showcase the technology for sale to another company..thats where im headed with this..

They had plenty of time to incorporate features such as injuries and fatigue...absent these features automatically makes this and "arcade" football game. IMO

# 29 canes21 @ 04/28/10 10:03 PM
I don't think so. I think they just wanted to make a foundation for the series and if it goes well with fans, we'll see injuries, fatigue, etc. in the next game. This is sort of a test run, just a very well done one that looks better than a lot of games and actually looks like one of the few next gen games.

# 30 23 @ 04/28/10 11:17 PM
Quote:
Copy that, I was actually making a statement, not really asking a question... I wonder if this is a one-time effort to showcase the technology for sale to another company..thats where im headed with this..

They had plenty of time to incorporate features such as injuries and fatigue...absent these features automatically makes this and "arcade" football game. IMO

How did you gather that from a euphoria banner?

I see all of these companies with thier own advertisements in their games

# 31 kjcheezhead @ 04/29/10 12:00 AM
Quote:

2k has banners of their logo too. Geez, every game must be a tech demo.

# 32 yardz23 @ 04/29/10 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Yeah, the only info I received is you start in a "lowly" 8 team league and if you finish in the Top Three you're promoted to a 16 team league. I don't the progression after that.

Theres a 32 team league after the 16

# 33 turftickler @ 04/29/10 01:54 AM
Quote:

Contrary to what some may still believe, NaturalMotion has already stated that this is not a Tech Demo. They want it to be something more. Plus, many companies are already using their technology in their own games. Also, there were some limitations that came with Euphoria that are constantly being ironed out on a regular basis. This is not the end of what Euphoria Motion can do for video games. It will do much more than we can fathom at this point.

My patience is wearing thin for June 1!!!!!!!

# 34 mm boost @ 04/29/10 09:26 AM
This has definitely become a must buy for me, June 1st, this bastard is mine. Have you guys stopped and thought about this in the long run? With NM perfecting their gameplay engine and leaving out some of the bells and whistles (sidelines, commentators, etc), if this game succeeds, next year if and when they come out with a 2nd game and possibly have an NFL license to back, all they have to do is work on features, announcing, and presentation, the game play engine will be perfected and in tact and they won't have to change anything. This is HUGE! This means they can spend a full developmental year cycle devoted to commentating, graphics, sidelines, championship games, pretty much all the appearance aspects of the game. Can you imagine a full year devoted to details only and not half of the year having to retweak the gamplay engine like EA has to do year in and year out? my lord!!

# 35 Blzer @ 04/29/10 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm boost
This has definitely become a must buy for me, June 1st, this bastard is mine. Have you guys stopped and thought about this in the long run? With NM perfecting their gameplay engine and leaving out some of the bells and whistles (sidelines, commentators, etc), if this game succeeds, next year if and when they come out with a 2nd game and possibly have an NFL license to back, all they have to do is work on features, announcing, and presentation, the game play engine will be perfected and in tact and they won't have to change anything. This is HUGE! This means they can spend a full developmental year cycle devoted to commentating, graphics, sidelines, championship games, pretty much all the appearance aspects of the game. Can you imagine a full year devoted to details only and not half of the year having to retweak the gamplay engine like EA has to do year in and year out? my lord!!
I don't know about you, but I see a lot of things at the line for gameplay that I would like to be tweaked in this iteration of Backbreaker. No matter, you're right that gameplay would no longer have to be their priority.

# 36 GIveMeR3alFooTball @ 04/29/10 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm boost
yes i thought about that too and oh i hope it happens the way . i'm a big nfl junkie and this game with the nfl tag on it wud prolly make me o.d.

# 37 mm boost @ 04/29/10 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I don't know about you, but I see a lot of things at the line for gameplay that I would like to be tweaked in this iteration of Backbreaker. No matter, you're right that gameplay would no longer have to be their priority.
I know not everything is perfect man, but what I mean is in general. Look at EA...they have to change control schemes, they gotta change AI tendencies, they gotta change gameplans, they gotta change receiver catching, they gotta change a running motion, etc. With this engine, where its close to real life humans playing on the game, you don't have to focus so much on the game play engine and can dive deeper into details, presentation, and appearance. This really opens the door to the future!

# 38 23 @ 04/29/10 12:53 PM
Im still not following you on this.. care to go into more detail?

Why would they not need to change playing styles or player tendencies or anything?

# 39 TreyIM2 @ 04/29/10 02:05 PM
Quote:

I said this same exact thing but in more detail a few times and the last time, I was attacked as if I don't know what I'm talking about. I made the statement based on the fact that NM approached EA with this gaming engine for Madden and they were turned back. I stated that MAYBE EA wanted NM to show and prove with a football game that actually works, first, and how people would respond to it then they would MAYBE bring them in house.

The thought was why would EA take such a huge gamble spending mega dollars on NM's Euphoria engine if they couldn't get it to work right? There would be a ton of dev time that would have to be dedicated to a brand new engine especially one that EA didn't create themselves. Not to mention EA would have to try to apply much of what they have created for Madden to the Euphoria engine. Lots of work, there. Could take 2-3 yrs to get it to the point of producing a retail version of Madden using that engine.

I know that NM has since stated things about the future of the BB franchise and such but that could all be smoke screens. This whole thing could apply to the NHL game NM is supposed to be about to dev, as well.

Whatever the case, if it's not going to happen, it doesn't, and maybe NM will have their hands on the NFL license down the road and can apply it to "NFL Backbreaker 2014" or sumthin. If it does happen, Madden gets EXTREMELY improved and either way, gamers will be happy.

# 40 JMD @ 04/29/10 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
I like these screens also....

the receiver is trying to prevent an INT.

this stadium looks sick!

Are you kidding me? Is that Stadium pic from the game? That looks stunning. I was a bit concerned that only having 10 stadiums would get old fast, but if they all look that great, I see no problem.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.