Home
NCAA Football 11 News Post

ESPN Videogames has posted a Q&A session with Ben Haumiller, Game Designer of NCAA Football 11.

Quote:
Jon: "You mentioned the running back reading the blocks. What adjustments have been made to option blocking?"

Ben: "We call it real assignment A.I., and if you're playing an offline game, if you're playing a CPU game, you will see the offensive line and who they are assigned to block on the play. We don't do this in the head-to-head game because you don't want to give away to your opponent where you're going. But you can see the pulling guard and where he's pulling. You can see where a combo block is being done. If you're playing somebody who switches defensive tackles around, you can see on the fly as it changes who your players are supposed to block. If you move that tackle out way wide, it adjusts where the offensive linemen need to block.

When you're running the option, it's all about leaving that play-side defensive end alone. So if you're running the triple option or a read option, it's all about reading that end and making your call. If you see that end crashing down, keep it and run that option. If he stays out wide, hand it off to the running back up the middle. It's the most authentic we've ever had the option in the game as now you really need to read the defense and the blocking schemes if you want to be successful."

Game: NCAA Football 11Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 83 - View All
NCAA Football 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 moylan1234 @ 05/01/10 01:29 AM
I played a lot of 10 vs the cpu on heisman - still do actually - and on the rare occasion that my dbs cover every one qbs do scramble

# 22 da ThRONe @ 05/01/10 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConVick
True that; anything below Heisman just feels too easy. EA really needs to tweak that. I didn't play 2010 long enough to prove my point about scramblimg QBs but I'm pretty sure Vince Young ran all over my defense in NCAA 2006
The only time they run are on design plays.

# 23 boritter @ 05/01/10 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConVick
Hoping to have a game I can play till the season ends. The past 2 NCAA games I owned were done by September
LOL. Due to horrific blocking I stopped playing NCAA10 before Madden10 came out.

# 24 Jukeman @ 05/01/10 11:37 AM
My biggest pet peeve is when devs say "we cant talk about dynasty/franchise/career mode at the moment"

Then when the info comes out (usually a week before release) its meh information and nothing groundbreaking...

Non sports games doesnt have a problem with giving the consumer info about its story mode....

like WTF man :

# 25 Lynx34 @ 05/01/10 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
My biggest pet peeve is when devs say "we cant talk about dynasty/franchise/career mode at the moment"

Then when the info comes out (usually a week before release) its meh information and nothing groundbreaking...

Non sports games doesnt have a problem with giving the consumer info about its story mode....

like WTF man :
2 reasons for this.

1) It's marketing. If they give out all their info too early, they don't have anything to keep the hype train going. You don't want to get everybody excited and then forget about your game a month before release.

2) Even more importantly, many details may not be final. They may be working on a lot of things that they think will be good additions and if they announce them now but end up not getting them done in time, and they don't make it in, there will be some disappointed customers. Since their main focus seems to be on gameplay this year, I wouldn't doubt that they've just about wrapped up on it and are using the last couple months on game mode features and tweaks (dynasty,RtG,etc.)

# 26 Jessep07 @ 05/02/10 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Love what I'm seeing so far!!!

I'm still waiting to see what PS3 will look like because after all the nice vids that have been showcased in previous years, PS3 gamers quickly find out after buying that the smooth and vivid looks are from the 360 version. Please don't try and sell to me there's little difference between 720p and 1080p, because there is. With the PS3 version, colors aren't as crisp and sharp as the 360. So it would be nice to see what PS3 gamers are going to get, especially if presentation is going to be on of the big selling points.

It would be nice to what EA games would look like in 1080p for the PS3.

The blocking is awsome, I just wish the collision blocking would be more like the collision of runner/tackler and more guys hitting the ground (esp. OL vs LB's/DB's--smaller players getting mashed by OL happens alot) .

The blocking on the option is good to, but the animattion that would fit perfect would be last years leg tackle animation were the runners feet would be in the air. The crackback or cut-block is pivital to option blocking vs the drive block that's in all the vids so far.

I'm still buying to satisfy my itch for college footabll.
Wait wait wait...I'm considering buying a PS3 to play this game...is there really a discrepancy between the 360 and PS3 version?!

# 27 KANE699 @ 05/02/10 09:15 PM
I can definitely agree with this guy, when I picked up the game about 2 months ago, my first reaction was;

WOW This is the NCAA I had come to hate? It's about time they turned it around, they really impressed me right off the bat with everything I saw.

Gotta say this is the year I won't be returning NCAA.

# 28 JkA3 @ 05/04/10 10:55 AM
nice!

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.