Home
UFC Undisputed 2010 News Post

The UFC Undisputed Community has posted another Q&A session with Omar Kendall, Lead Developer of UFC 2010 Undisputed.

Quote:
UFC Community: "Why do I get KO'ed so easily all the time? I think there is some fine tuning to be done to the flash KO rate. Can someone at THQ confirm that the flash KO's will be less frequent in the final game?"

Omar: "We don't really have a system called "Flash KO's." This is a term that the community has coined to identify KO's that they feel come quickly or suddenly. We do have a One-Punch KO system, and in Undisputed 2009 pre-patch they were quite common, but post-patch and in Undisputed 2010 they are extremely rare events - personally I've only had one of them occur in all the matches of Undisputed 2010 that I've ever played, so I don't believe this is what players are complaining about.

KO's are tuned differently this year, however. Essentially, heavier weight classes will have a greater occurrence of KO's than they did last year. We did this in part because we felt that there wasn't enough tactile different between the weight classes last year and in part because we felt that it more accurately reflected what happens in the real UFC. Players will notice the frequency of KO's to be much less with the lighter weight classes, and much more with heavyweights - this is intentional, but it is something that we will closely monitor once the game is released to see if tuning adjustments need to be made.

My suggestion to avoid getting KO'd so easily is to defend against head strikes better, and to not Sway recklessly."

Game: UFC Undisputed 2010Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
UFC Undisputed 2010 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 JoeMimic @ 05/07/10 05:19 PM
so they admit basically nothing has changed with submissions, and either the final product has the KOs toned down or he's lying. Also cool they don't view Shoguns plata escape a cheat even though there is no way around it if you're caught in his guard the guy can get right up

# 2 Jukeman @ 05/07/10 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavigatorD83
Did that guy Omar really say "We don't really have a system called "Flash KO's." This is a term that the community has coined to identify KO's that they feel come quickly or suddenly. We do have a One-Punch KO system."

Thats almost as bad as the crap coming out of EA

Yeah, Im about 80% sure "Flash KO" was the term THEY used in 2009....

I guess they can't use FLASH anymore because there are nothing FLASH about the KO's in the game...

"One Punch KO" makes sense...

But he also said it "rare" so I hope he's playing a different game than we are...

# 3 Gotmadskillzson @ 05/07/10 09:47 PM
Yeah that 'RARE" is BS. It happens a lot, especially with Rampage and Shogun. So I can imagine facing really heavy handed people like Brock, Carwin or Velasquez. It works with leg kicks too, so Cro Cop will be a beast this year online.

I have seen and done it many times on the demo. Make the guy miss and just do a powerful hook or head kick and it is an instant KO 4 seconds into the fight.

# 4 Jukeman @ 05/07/10 11:24 PM
Totally missed the point..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM RULES
You dudes must be Fight Night fans? Finally we get a fighting game that plays more sim like, and you whine about it. Who wants to smash someone in the face multiple times before they fall, accept for Fight Night fans?

The man said that if you want to play arcade style punching then use the light weight dudes, and leave the heavy weights for us sim dudes.

# 5 Gotmadskillzson @ 05/07/10 11:48 PM
There is nothing sim by knocking somebody out 4 seconds into the fight........Even the Bloodsport guy in real life never knocked somebody out that fast......and neither did anybody in the UFC.

There is nothing sim about bursting out of submission attempts with no struggle either......

Have you seen Brock, Carwin or Cain KO somebody with one punch thrown ONLY in the UFC ? No you haven't. Have you seen them burst out of subs instantly ? No you haven't.

# 6 filtertmp @ 05/08/10 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Have you seen Brock, Carwin or Cain KO somebody with one punch thrown ONLY in the UFC ?
Carwin vs. Gonzaga was a one punch finish.

I think we need to clarify what "flash KO" really means... I understand (within the context of the videogame, both 2009 and the demo) "flash KOs" to mean fights that end suddenly in KO without a significant amount of damage... so say in 2009, when it had damage statistics in online fights, you'd suddenly get KOed by a punch really early and see you had only taken say, 25% head damage. It was an unusual KO within the mechanics of the game as you hadn't really been hurt to the point of getting knocked out, hence the term 'flash'.

I'm not seeing that in the demo. It takes a lot of damage to finish someone even if you do that damage quickly.

I get alot of hard KO finishes, but nothing with 'unjustified' lack of damage like last years "flash KOs". Whenever I KTFO someone in the demo, its after I've done some serious damage even if its quickly in the first round. I haven't seen any KO's out of left field.. I've seen odd knockdowns, and being rocked, but never KOs.

# 7 Ninjoid @ 05/08/10 06:04 AM
In cpu v cpu matches the KO rate is far too high....in over 70 demo matchups I have had one only go to a points decision...all the rest have been mainly KOs or a TKO.

If what THQ are saying about the KO rate being linked to the weight class I hate to see what Heavyweight is going to be in cpu v cpu mode compared to the demo.

I know there's only a handful of us that do cpu v cpu but I think it's an important test of the AI to see how it handles itself - plus I'm not a button masher and prefer a sim type game.

Hopefully THQ have toned this down for the retail version or will do so via a patch as from what I've read the KO rate is also high in 'normal' mode as opposed to cpu v cpu mode.

# 8 Jukeman @ 05/08/10 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM RULES
Yes, I have seen more one punch knock outs than you have seen heavyweights taking multiple blows to the head without falling. You let Brock hit you in the head with a upper cut, and see if your still standing. But I am sure that you would wake up in the hospital and claim that it was too easy for him to knock you out with one punch.
Point is....

We dont want to be able to strike a person in the head 4-6 times in a row with out any damage done..

HOWEVER, the outcome of that should be a knockdown or a rocked moment not a KO 99.9% of the time....The ratio is off and its hilarious for them to scrap the term of "Flash" KO and replace it with "one punch" because Ive KO'd a guy after using a combo...hardly a "one punch" moment..

# 9 Gotmadskillzson @ 05/08/10 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by filtertmp
Carwin vs. Gonzaga was a one punch finish.

I think we need to clarify what "flash KO" really means... I understand (within the context of the videogame, both 2009 and the demo) "flash KOs" to mean fights that end suddenly in KO without a significant amount of damage... so say in 2009, when it had damage statistics in online fights, you'd suddenly get KOed by a punch really early and see you had only taken say, 25% head damage. It was an unusual KO within the mechanics of the game as you hadn't really been hurt to the point of getting knocked out, hence the term 'flash'.

I'm not seeing that in the demo. It takes a lot of damage to finish someone even if you do that damage quickly.

I get alot of hard KO finishes, but nothing with 'unjustified' lack of damage like last years "flash KOs". Whenever I KTFO someone in the demo, its after I've done some serious damage even if its quickly in the first round. I haven't seen any KO's out of left field.. I've seen odd knockdowns, and being rocked, but never KOs.
It don't take a lot of damage to finish somebody in this game, that is the problem. I have KO'ed Rampage, Rashad and Rua with counter uppercuts or hook to the head in the opening seconds of the fight.

Heck sometimes when the fight starts and they go to touch gloves, I don't touch gloves and just do a head kick instead or uppercut and KO'ed them.

Even one time when I was Rua I was walking backwards and KO'ed Rampage with what looked like a baby uppercut because he didn't swing that arm out far at all and that was 20 seconds into the fight.

So if it is going to be like that for the light heavyweights and heavy weights, then everybody going to play as Brock, Carwin and Velasquez online for those quick KO's 40 seconds into a fight.

# 10 wyrm187 @ 05/08/10 02:06 PM
I understand both your points - Jukeman has been posting this non stop in many different threads - and I agree to an extent that TKOs are much more common than lights out - ragdoll knockouts. I think the simple solution would be for next years version to have some of these KO punches result in some different animations that are fight enders - not to where the fighter is put to sleep, but maybe just dazed and on all fours unable to defend himself - and the ref jumps in and says he's done - something like that. Yes I agree the ratio of fighters being put to sleep is too high compared to real fights

the cheesy pounding an opponent out who just went gray is not only unrewarding - the animation sucks imo. I would like to see some better KO animations where the hurt fighter can't defend himself but isnt in a coma and better TKO animations - in the meantime Im fine with where its at now. Im having a nice mix of fight endings playing on expert. If they patch the game like they did last year and ruin it again - Im done with this

edit: and for the record - Im hardly getting any Flash KOs at all - they are all pretty much due to an accumulation of damage

# 11 JoeMimic @ 05/08/10 02:46 PM
My problem are the one strike KOs, i feel that too many fights end this way on the game. There definitely should be more gray rocked moments, I remember I had one using Rampage against Shogun and I was up against the cage getting battered and I kept trying to defend but he kept slamming with punches and I was luckily able to attempt a takedown and get out of it.

I'm definitely more of a "sim" type fighter, I don't get into slugfests very often I keep my hands up and I move in and out. I like trying to fight how I think the guy I'm using would fight the guy I'm facing.

# 12 PVarck31 @ 05/08/10 02:56 PM
I think the "flash" KO's are a problem. The problem lies in the fact that its to easy to land clean punches in this game. You rarely see a punch land with full force and clean as a whistle in real life so frequently. If the game had a leaning/bob and weave system like FNR4 then I think this problem wouldn't exist. JMO

# 13 aholbert32 @ 05/08/10 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
I think the "flash" KO's are a problem. The problem lies in the fact that its to easy to land clean punches in this game. You rarely see a punch land with full force and clean as a whistle in real life so frequently. If the game had a leaning/bob and weave system like FNR4 then I think this problem wouldn't exist. JMO
The game has a bob and weave system.

# 14 JoeMimic @ 05/08/10 03:10 PM
I think it's just hard coded in the game just like not being able to submit anyone unless they're low on energy or rocked.

# 15 PVarck31 @ 05/08/10 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Not anywhere on the level of FNR4. If it is then I must not be using it right.

# 16 hogfan @ 05/08/10 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
That's exactly the issue. I don't see how anyone can find fault with guys getting knocked out with cleanly connecting power shots. The problem is the connect percentage for said power punches and punches in general.

While I would like for them to improve up on that, I'm not going to say that those issues completely ruin the game for me. There is still a lot of fun to be had, IMO.

# 17 hogfan @ 05/08/10 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
So the onus is on the player/CPU to bob and weave/block punches?

I agree. I rarely get hit with a power shot because I evade and block. The CPU does leave itself open to too many power shots.

# 18 PVarck31 @ 05/08/10 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer23
the flash k-o's are no problem,why complain?
Um because many people see them as a problem.

# 19 JoeMimic @ 05/08/10 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer23
the flash k-o's are no problem,why complain?
The problem is nearly every fight in the demo ends with a one strike knockout. TKOs are rare when in real life they're more common.

# 20 JkA3 @ 05/09/10 10:19 AM
how has the career mode changed from last year. do you still have to use the stupid logos all over the shorts to get better. that was so wack.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.