Home
NHL 11 News Post

Quote:
"For the last few years the EA SPORTS NHL team has unofficially kicked off their yearly campaign inviting some of the most vocal members of its community to EA Canada to provide feedback collected from their respective communities, and to get a sneak peak at the upcoming iteration from the NHL franchise. This year is no exception and we’re enthused to invite 14 hockey enthusiasts from coast-to-coast to the studio for our two-day NHL 11 Community Event on May 20th and 21st.

Representing OperationSports.com is one of the moderators from the site, Steve Shaulis, otherwise known as Qb on the forums. Residing out of Bridgeville, PA, Steve’s allegiance lies with the Penguins as they look to make a run at back-to-back Stanley Cups. The first NHL video game he’s ever played was NHL 93 on the Genesis and you can find him online playing NHL 10 on his X360 EASHL team, The Corporation or just chillin’ playing offline on his PS3. Check him out here making the nice slap-pass from his own end setting up a goal during OTP play."

You can read the full blog at EA's In The Crease Blog site. It includes a brief bio for each community representative -- notice I'm first on the list -- and encourages fans of the series to check out the NHL11 Twitter and Facebook pages where they'll "release all things EA SPORTS NHL first!"

I'll do my best to share what information/impressions I can with the OS community as soon as possible. I have no idea what my internet access will be like when I'm out there -- I won't be traveling with a laptop unfortunately -- but trust me, I won't disappear after the event. I'll do my best to answer any & all questions I am authorized to answer.

My Pittsburgh to Denver to Vancouver travel day of fun is only one week from today!

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Vikes1 @ 05/18/10 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06woz
Gameplay.Gameplay.Gameplay.Franchise.
Agreed, agreed, agreed and agreed.

# 22 Mikey88 @ 05/18/10 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Agreed, agreed, agreed and agreed.
How quickly can you get us feedback from what you've learned there?

# 23 06woz @ 05/18/10 07:36 PM
The majority of what he can say will likely be under embargo, as far as new features. So he won't be able to speak until EA says so.

However the beauty of the community day is he will be able to talk about general tweaks, and the feel to the game.

# 24 Qb @ 05/18/10 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey88
How quickly can you get us feedback from what you've learned there?
I can't give you a good answer at this point, but I believe woz is mostly right. I know major new features will be embargoed until they officially announced -- perhaps something will come out of the event itself -- but I believe I'll be able to give some general impressions after the event.

Trust me, I'll give you guys as much as I can, including Q&A. Just can't break the NDA during the process.

PS - It's nice to travel alone as opposed to going with wife & little girl. I packed a duffel bag. That's it. No baggage claim -- or $25 fee -- for me! And I might still be able to squeeze my skates in for the on-ice activity Friday morning...

# 25 Flyermania @ 05/18/10 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
And I might still be able to squeeze my skates in for the on-ice activity Friday morning...
Are you doing an on-ice activity? Jealous!

# 26 06woz @ 05/19/10 10:50 AM
ahhhh Skates in an American airport, always good times. Make sure you have some blade covers.

# 27 SinisterAlex @ 05/19/10 01:54 PM
So Qb I'm guessing you're here in Vancouver now? Very nice.

# 28 Money99 @ 05/21/10 11:01 AM
From HFBoards member IrishSniper87:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...0&postcount=35

Quote:
Hey everyone!

Day 1 of the Community Event is complete and I have now actually played an alpha build of NHL 11.

I can't say much without breaking NDA agreements, but I want to convey to everyone that all these guys who work on the game are huge hockey fans. They really care about this game. I didnt realize how much the devs cared about the game until we had some meetings and I got a chance to interact with the guys who make the game. They really impressed me with how much they wanted to hear from both casual and hardcore fans alike. The NHL series has really been a hit the past few years, and EA really wants to make sure they keep up the growth.

Ultimately, I want to mention a few points. First, the devs really listen to the community. They check the gaming websites and forums, and they often read feedback and forum posts themselves. They put a lot of time and effort into this series, and enjoy reading peoples reactions to the game. While the various gaming forums tend to be way too negative, the devs read a lot of the threads and posts to find ways to improve the game. They themselves are huge hockey fans, and they want to make the most authentic game they can.

Now that I have gotten that out of the way, I want to say that I personally enjoyed hearing about where the devs wanted to take the NHL series in the future. We were told how each game in the NHL series is really a 2-3 year development plan. Some of the features that the community wants are things the devs know about, but they dont have the time or resources to get it into the game. They want to relay to you that they really do try and read the reactions to the game, and try to improve it as much as possible within their own deadlines and limited resources. Certain features obviously take priority in the development cycle, so every years game has it's own feature set and focuses.

All in all, I think most fans will really enjoy NHL 11. It has an impressive feature set, and focuses on being more realistic then previous generations. While the build I got to test was not perfect (numerous bugs that will be fixed before the game ships), I got the jist of what the team is looking to accomplish this year, and I tried to be as helpful as possible.

I came here with a large list of things HF members wanted to see, and can honestly say that EA covered a lot of them. I think the Community Members really did raise some really good points in the testing, and that hopefully we managed to help the developers make a better game. After all, in many ways, that is the point of the Community Event in the first place.

I will post again tomorrow after the second day of the event, but I will not be able to discuss new features until they are announced. So please, check back here for new information as I am allowed to discuss it and feel free post your comments and complaints here. Thanks!

# 29 Vince @ 05/21/10 11:18 AM
Since there is no competition anymore (2k), they might as well just release the info asap, no?

# 30 Money99 @ 05/21/10 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Since there is no competition anymore (2k), they might as well just release the info asap, no?
I like that line of thinking.

But I'm sure if they let it all out of the bag now, they'd have less to promote come August.

Still, I think they could allow these guys to give us some vague impressions of NHL11 at the least.

# 31 Qb @ 05/22/10 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
My guess is any info will indeed be of the vague nature what with NDA's and all.
Yeah, unfortunately myself and the other reps will have to follow the marketing plan for anything related to new features (and other stuff too).

I'll have a better post about the event itself up after the weekend, so for now you can check out vicodin14's report at EASHL Forum. All I can really say right now is that the NHL team has been listening to what our community and the NHL community at large has said over the past year, so I hope you guys will be as impressed as I was at what they were able to add to the game for 11.

There will be no questions at this time.

# 32 Money99 @ 05/22/10 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Yeah, unfortunately myself and the other reps will have to follow the marketing plan for anything related to new features (and other stuff too).

I'll have a better post about the event itself up after the weekend, so for now you can check out vicodin14's report at EASHL Forum. All I can really say right now is that the NHL team has been listening to what our community and the NHL community at large has said over the past year, so I hope you guys will be as impressed as I was at what they were able to add to the game for 11.

There will be no questions at this time.
Easier said than done. I can't find vicodin14's posts anywhere.
Those forums are a mess.

Glad you had a good time QB. Can't wait to hear your impressions.

# 33 MizzouRah @ 05/22/10 02:28 PM
I can't wait to read your impressions either.

# 34 vicodin14 @ 05/22/10 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Easier said than done. I can't find vicodin14's posts anywhere.
Those forums are a mess.

Glad you had a good time QB. Can't wait to hear your impressions.
our articles post on the main home page... but also here:
http://www.operationsports.com/eashl/forum/articles.php

hope that helps...

# 35 Money99 @ 05/22/10 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicodin14

hope that helps...
Thank you!

# 36 Money99 @ 05/22/10 10:56 PM
Luger from EA Forums Event Recap:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/559030.page

Quote:
NHL 11 Community Day Recap

Hey guys. I could probably write something akin to a lengthy term paper recounting all that I did and saw during my brief visit to EA Canada in Vancouver this past week, but I’m going to try and keep things short for all our sakes. As you guys should know by now, at this point, there’s very little I or the other CD invitees can actually talk about regarding NHL 11 itself. Features, fixes, additions, removals, overhauls, etc… can’t answer or discuss any of that, so please, don’t even ask. As different embargos are lifted over the summer, rest assured that I and the rest of the representatives will get our thoughts and impressions up (perhaps with a few exclusive screens now and then) as soon as we are able. So let me get into it here...

5/19: Travel Day + Meet & Greet
I left Philadelphia on Wednesday, May 18. Flew up to Toronto (hour flight), then 5 hours over to Vancouver. Once there, I met up with Ed from HFBoards.com, and Jake, Community Manager of Xbox Canada. We took the newly constructed Sky Train from the airport, and got to our hotel (The Sutton Place) around 5:00 PT.

After arriving, we checked in, and then met the rest of the invitees and Alain (sk88z) in the lobby. We took a few cabs over to Kingston’s Bar and Grille, and enjoyed dinner, TV, and drinks for the remainder of the evening while we all got to know one another. It was a great start to what would be a memorable few days.

5/20: CD Day 1 - Intro to NHL 11 & First Hands On
The next morning was the first official day of the Community Event. We were all up early (7 AM or so), and met up in the lobby around 8. We enjoyed breakfeast at Bellagio’s Café, and following our meal, hopped aboard a shuttle for what was my first trip to EA Canada.

I know most of you have seen pictures, and I had as well heading in, but I really have to say – it’s a pretty impressive complex. The interior is stylish and expanisve, there’s a soccer pitch, basketball court, cafeteria, street hockey court, elevators, media rooms, tons of playtesting labs, offices, winding staircases, and on and on. It was quite an experience just walking around the place, and we hadn’t even seen the game yet.

Around 10:15, we met David Littman and Andy Agostini, along with a few of the other developers for our first look at NHL 11. A PowerPoint followed by a brief game demo introduced us to the features and new aspects of the game, and boy, were there some good ones. A lot of what we saw was very impressive, and we learned a bit about how decisions regarding the game are made, and also that the developers DO READ THE FORUMS. A LOT. I really can't emphasize this enough. I talked with at least 5 guys on the team at length this weekend, and all of them mentioned that they routinely read our forums and others, even if they don't post. I really just want to say that a positive and constructive attitude is necessary from all of us in order to continue to encourage this type of interaction, and well, I hope to see more of it this summer.

But I digress. Getting back to the presentation, I took a ton of notes which I look forward to sharing with you all, but I can’t say anything just yet. There was also one big surprise that turned out to be really awesome, but again, you guys will have to wait and see!

After the presentation, we had a quick lunch, then got our hands on the game for the first time. I had myself a packet from the forums (gameplay must fixes, non-gameplay must fixes, etc), and I started heading through the game and checking off items on my list at a very satisfying rate. I really got the impression, from meeting the developers and my own experience with NHL 11, that the team really listened to our feedback this year and worked hard to deliver as much as possible with this year's iteration. Following our time with the game, we had a few feedback sessions/discussions, broke for dinner, played the game some more, and finally left EA Canada around 8 PM.

That night, we went out for some light food and more beverages. Not going into any specifics, it was an awesome second night with some hilarious moments, including an exploding beer glass that left poor Ed from HF in need of a change of pants. It was a great end to a great first day.

5/21: Day 2 - On the Ice w/ Jim Playfair & More Hands on w/ NHL 11
The second day began like the first. Up early, headed as a group to Bellagio’s for breakfast, except this time, instead of heading to EA, we went to 8 Rinks, a huge skating complex just about 10 minutes from the studio. Once there, we were treated to a huge amount of swag courtesy of EA and Bauer, namely Vapor X:60 gloves, and a Vapor X:40 stick. Huge thanks to Bauer for this awesome gear. We also got our hands on some EA SPORTS NHL 11 jerseys, and from that point, we hit the ice with current Abbotsford Heat head coach Jim Playfair. He took us through some basic drills, cross-overs, 2 on 0s, cycling down low, etc, then we broke for a scrimmage. I’m not a huge fan of player skates, but I made due out there amongst the developers, guests, and other community day invitees as we played for about half an hour or so. Highlights include sk88z’s controversial re-direct goal (off my sweet assist), Steve's (better known as QB from Operation Sports) snipe from the lower circle to end the game, and Jason Rupert’s (Redshirt’s) breakaway goal which involved him successfully knocking down a pass at center ice, skating in, and roofing a shot over the outstretched leg of goalkeeper and fellow developer, Gern. Even though the rent-a-skates I was using gave me serious blisters on the back of my calves, I had a great time, and I know everyone else did too. Look for a video soon, featuring quite a memorable closing act by Playfair!

After our on ice adventure, we headed back to EA, hit the showers, and sat down for a Q&A Session with Playfair and Rammer, who arrived from an event in LA just in time for our second day. We got some questions answered about what it’s like to be a coach in the NHL, and also heard some cool stories about some NHL players as well. It was a solid session that lasted just short of an hour, and then finally, we got our hands on the game once again.

Because the event was two days this year as opposed to one, what actually happened was the developers took our feedback from Day 1, and adjusted and released a new build for us all to play on Day 2. This was pretty huge because we got to see how our feedback was implemented, and see what areas of the game still needed work. Obviously, we’re plenty far from release and a ton of refinements and changes still need to be made, but what we played on the second day really wasn’t all that bad for a game with 4 months still left to go. I know I personally went through the remainder of my lists, while once again exploring some of the new features. We eventually broke for a feedback discussion led by Rupert and Rammer, which I think we all agreed went very well. Having shared our thoughts, we ate dinner, got a quick tour of the rest of the studio, then got our last time in with the game.

Right around then, Jason took myself, Nick (Shake and Baco), Steve (QB), and Ayaz (epik) up to his office where we got to see the game running in pretty much its rawest form. As mentioned in a video blog last year, he and other developers are able to record plays in the same ways we can do Created Plays at home, except when done at EA Canada in May, if the play ends up working out, the AI will then run these plays against you or me when we get our final copies of the game in September. We were actually able to record some cool new shootout moves and save them to the game, so if Mike Richards comes down on you guys during a shootout later this year and does something crazy for a sweet goal, feel free to blame me!

At that point, our time at EA and in Vancouver was coming to an end. We headed back to the main playtest area, enjoyed the game for another half an hour or so, then packed up and returned to our hotel. Some of the invitees were headed out again, but I was pretty tired at that point, and decided to just chill and take it easy, especially since my flight back to Toronto left at 8 AM Saturday morning.

5/22: Travel Day
Not much to report here other than my flights home and the writing of this recap. Definitely been a fun, tiring few days, and while I loved Vancouver, it's good to get home.

Closing Thoughts
So to sum up, I basically have nothing but good things to say about this year's Community Event. I met a great bunch of people, had a great time playing the game and just hanging out, got a lot of questions answered, learned a lot about how the game works and about the team behind it, and overall - just truly enjoyed myself. I want to sincerely think Alain and the rest of the team for hosting and allowing me to come up and try out the game with them; it was definitely a pleasure. I can't wait to get my hands on the final version of NHL 11 come September, and as more and more info comes out in the next few months, I think you guys will feel the same way.

Thanks for reading everyone. Feel free to follow me on Twitter @LuGer33 for more info and impressions as the summer progresses. Also be on the lookout for two new exclusive CHL screenshots tomorrow afternoon. Each CD invitee received two images to share with their communities, so Shake & Baco and myself will be posting them as soon as we are able. Also, please follow the Twitters and read the recaps of some of the other Community Day invitees, links to which can all be found here. Photos and videos from the event are forthcoming as well.

Cheers, folks, and allow me to be one of the first to tell you that NHL 11 is going to be freaking awesome!

# 37 Qb @ 05/23/10 12:14 AM
Quote:
Hope NHL11, being a major anniversary year for the series proves to be an impressive year for the series as well.
I think the NHL team is thinking along the same lines. I know people are picky about AI & such, but I think this year's game will offer something for everyone and will have tremendous depth. Hopefully the dedication of the dev team and to a much smaller degree, our input, will ensure that the gameplay is top-notch as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicodin14

hope that helps...
Thanks. I was being lazy... should've posted the link myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Luger from EA Forums Event Recap:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/559030.page
Thanks, Hank. In the future, it's probably best to only include a portion of the write-up and then link to the other site. But Luger is pretty cool for a Flyers fan, so I doubt he's too worried about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooShay
They only got X40 sticks? Cheap Ea cheap :P
As you could see from Luger's write-up, mine came with a goal in it, so I was happy!

Quote:
This is how you take feedback and interact with the community, nice write up Luger, thanks for the link Hank. Looking very forward to the NDA expire dates and more info on this year's game.
Luger did a great job and was very prepared. He had pages of notes and lists of equipment to check for... mind-boggling. I had to ask Alain for a notepad when I got there...

# 38 onlybygrace @ 05/23/10 12:43 AM
Its way too early for me to be having this feeling...

4 months...thankfully I lead a busy life. So maybe it won't be so bad.

# 39 LuGer33 @ 05/23/10 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I think the NHL team is thinking along the same lines. I know people are picky about AI & such, but I think this year's game will offer something for everyone and will have tremendous depth. Hopefully the dedication of the dev team and to a much smaller degree, our input, will ensure that the gameplay is top-notch as well.
Agreed. Looking forward to reading your write up, sir. Be sure to mention how Wednesday night, you were oddly hellbent on tipping my Flyers hat off my head, and insisted, several times, that you and I were going to "scrap" before the weekend was out.

Quote:
Luger did a great job and was very prepared. He had pages of notes and lists of equipment to check for... mind-boggling. I had to ask Alain for a notepad when I got there...
Don't let this guy fool you, QB did an equally great if not better job exploring the game than me. I'm not sure if he ever actually got a complete game in he was so busy exploring the modes and features, checking for fixes, jotting down notes, etc. We actually got a Pens vs Flyers Online Versus game going towards the end, but then broke for feedback discussion and dinner, only to come back 45 minutes later and find our epic Battle of PA locked in a 0-0 tie in Round 84 of the shootout!

And thanks Money99 for posting my write up with a link. Appreciate the positive comments as well, guys.

# 40 lucwolfe @ 05/24/10 12:12 AM
Hey guys, QB and Luger33 were among amazing person at the event, they dedicated every second to improve the next NHL game. They had pride of who they were representing. The game will be a success with their ideas, suggestions, comments, etc. I hope to meet again both of them and the rest of the crew.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.