Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

EA Sports has just posted another Madden NFL 11 blog. This one was written by Mike Scantlebury and features run blocking improvements, with a few video examples included.

Quote:
"As we started planning out the changes to make to run blocking In Madden NFL 11, we just focused on creating the true run blocking schemes exactly as they are drawn up in real life. No reason to try and make a video-gamey version of it - it needed to be the real thing. It definitely took a lot of tuning to get the matchups right versus the many defensive fronts in football, but we have done it. The very first thing we had to do was really lay down the law. What I mean by this is that blockers had to be given realistic rules for who they are going to target depending on what type of run it is. We had to devise rules for each run blocker individually, starting from the play-side Tight End to the back-side Tight End, and all the Linemen in between. These rules also had to work in the situations where there was no Tight End, had to affect blockers in the backfield, and had to work whether you had a fullback to lead block or if you were running out of a Singleback formation. These realistic blocking matchup rules have stood the test of time in football at every level of play, from Pee Wee to professional. So we set out to implement these timeless rules into our football game. Daniel White (who from here forward I will refer to as the greatest software engineer of all time) was able to take the rules that I laid out and actually code them into the game. The result? Better overall run blocking, bigger holes for ball carriers to run through, and more realistic running lanes created by smarter offensive players. Let's look at specific improvement made to the different runs in our game."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 SouthernBrick @ 05/12/10 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAdrianPI
NOT paying EA any more. I say no to the minor updates, sketchy AI and screen clogging ads. Hoping others join. Time for consumers to take EA down.
Power to the PEOPLE!!!

EA is sooo goin' down!

# 102 seriousluboy83 @ 05/13/10 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Its not smart showing a running back getting 2 yards or losing yards when trying to show off your new blocking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g2thecore
This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Yep... it's common sense guys.

Damn don't crucify me fellas...so what you guys are saying is that you can't tell if run blocking has improved w/o seeing those types of runs???

# 103 GoodImmigrant @ 05/13/10 12:30 AM
The New Meadowlands Stadium looks nice.

# 104 Valdarez @ 05/13/10 12:36 AM
Looks better. Like the double team blocking, and them tearing off to make another block. The 1st block should break down after that though, but it doesn't seem to. The linebackers seem to be reacting a little slowly.

In the first video, with the block to the left, looks like there's suction, that the defender is going for the blocker instead of the running back.

In the second video, you can see a defender running into the back of another, with no animation being triggered. So the one running into the other is just running in place. Still no animations for incidental contact. I was hoping the new locomotion system would fix that problem. Anyone else notice the frame shift when the HB received the handoff?

Slider Requests

• Slider for the run reaction needs to work better than in M10.
  • Slider for double team block shedding.
  • Slider for double team blocking propensity.

# 105 SouthernBrick @ 05/13/10 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Well, Southern, that wasn't CJ running the ball in the video. It was Javon Ringer...
Oh sorry, I assumed.

Well I know Sproles was the ball carrier on the second run on the counter. Not sure who that was on the 1st (Ryan Mathews but, I'm thinking no because, his number is 24). I'm thinking It'll probably be ok once I get the game and actually feel the weight of the players. These videos worry me though and I'm assuming they're probably using the analog instead of the sprint button(RT) so I might be sticking with the sprint button If that is the case.

I questioned this in another video showing CJ running. I think he broke out into the open field and he didn't look all that fast. Neither did Sproles but, we'll see.

# 106 kjcheezhead @ 05/13/10 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Wondering aloud if the Youtubers will put a positive spin on this blog with videos?
Lol, I doubt it. Most of those guys don't believe last year's blog info was anything but hype. No reason to believe they would feel any differently about this year's and I can't say I blame them.

# 107 PantherBeast_OS @ 05/13/10 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBrick
Power to the PEOPLE!!!

EA is sooo goin' down!
You better start convincing 6 million+ people who don't read forums are anything. Those are the people you must get to stop buying it before EA will go down. Good luck.

# 108 TombSong @ 05/13/10 02:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolish813
Now we have Madden with robots in real uniforms, and Backbreaker with realistic movement dressed like robots. LOL!! You gotta love it! Hey we get what we ask for.
This has to be quote of the year.

That said. The run blocking does look better, but you do make a good point. We need to see it in action against different looks. Is dime 3-3 still blowing up goal line formations ?

However, they may just be really trying to show how the blocking works in a way thats obvious and clean for everyone to see. Which is why we have not seen it with defense doing exotic things.

# 109 SouthernBrick @ 05/13/10 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer
You better start convincing 6 million+ people who don't read forums are anything. Those are the people you must get to stop buying it before EA will go down. Good luck.
Peace of cake. Do you know how many ignorant youtubers hate madden!?

A LOT lol.

# 110 kmart2180 @ 05/13/10 04:44 AM
Loved the video!!! Blocking looks like it got a really nice upgrade.

However along with a bunch of posters who have said before me, Defense needs an upgrade to counter this now. Lb's Like P-Willis should not be standing there waiting to get blocked. They should be reacting quickly and trying to blow up the play the best way possible. Teams that bring 8 to the box should force u to throw more times than not.

Ahhhhhh that brings me to the 3-4 defense. I love that the NT's will get doubled teamed (like they should) But I do not want to see them getting pushed around and manhandled. The good ones better get some good pressure up field.........(THAT DOES NOT MEAN THEY HAVE TO BREAK FREE FROM THERE BLOCKS aka MADDEN 10) They should remain being doubled teamed but WIN by pushing the blockers back into the qb and controlling the A gaps. Also by them holding the double teams longer this creates less blockers to attack the Lb's.

In Madden 10 NT's are usually single blocked or when they are doubled the block breaks off to quickly to get a LB......This is incorrect! They should constantly be double teamed. A NT would destroy a single block in the NFL. Also the DE's in a 3-4 should not be rushing the passer just like a DE from a 4-3 does. They need to be more focused on stopping the run and taking up blocks to keep the Lb's free. A pass rush from a 3-4 DE is a extra bonus but is not commen to have big numbers.

My last gripe is that Safety's dont come up to help in the run game enough/or at all. Especially the great ones like Troy P. He needs to have more of a presence in stopping the run game department. I hate it that they just sort of float back there. This would also help out the Playaction calls on offense cause run stopping safety's would bite a bit more on them.

All in all if this is there "madden 04" version on xbox 360, I cannot wait for the "madden 05" version in Madden 12. How bout instead of "Hitstick 3.0" we get a "Wrap Stick 1.0" Although I loved Madden 04!!!

# 111 adembroski @ 05/13/10 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99
Could this blocking adjustment also provide a much more effective/realistic 3-4 defense??? Now that would be great!
That depends on what you consider realistic. A lot of people seem to think that it should automatically force you to double team the nose tackle, and that isn't realistic, no matter how good he is.

# 112 Valdarez @ 05/13/10 05:13 AM
Think I noticed what bugged me about the videos. Before the snap, the HB actually takes a step backwards, instead of moving forward. Looks weird.

Also, in the 3rd video, at about 15 to 17 seconds, it looks like the HB swats his left hand at something. Perhaps a bad/delayed timing HB/defender contact animation? Looks like you can see it in the 4th one as well, again not timed properly. Thoughts on it?

# 113 blitzkrieger @ 05/13/10 07:40 AM
It does appear that the D is reacting a split second too slow.. But I assume this is on PRO. If the reaction time improves on ALL PRO that would be sweet.

I dont expect much from AM level, that seems to beyond hope at this point.. Amping up the CPU is fine but dumbing down your team to the point where they react like, well they dont react !

# 114 Exonerated @ 05/13/10 07:46 AM
In past games, the defenders reacted WAY toooo fast.

Like they'd be fooled by a misdirection but recover so fast that they tackle you for a lost.

# 115 roadman @ 05/13/10 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Lol, I doubt it. Most of those guys don't believe last year's blog info was anything but hype. No reason to believe they would feel any differently about this year's and I can't say I blame them.
Well, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they are communicating differently than last year.

Oh wait,........

# 116 sportyguyfl31 @ 05/13/10 08:49 AM
Looks good, but the concern I have, maybe this has been brought up by other users already, is that we are seeing a lot of offensive eye candy. Actually, everything we have seen has been offense from both football games.

Im seeing LBs just sit there, letting the blockers fire out, and engage them, instead of reading, playing the gaps and scraping.

I dont want fast break football, like in Madden 04.

# 117 splff3000 @ 05/13/10 09:08 AM
This is why we need some type of community interaction here. I don't want them doing special blogs or anything for us, but someone should answer some questions. Now, they're probably going to have a Live Chat session on this, even though, this was already talked about in the NCAA forum and in a NCAA Live Chat session. I'm willing to bet the same questions will be asked as well. We need questions answered.

Right about this time, Ian or whoever should be here saying, "Calm down guys. This was played on rookie for an added effect. Here's some footage of it played on All Pro and All Madden and against multiple defensive fronts." That would put a lot of people at ease. I understand that some people were more than rude at times last year, but a few questions in a thread shouldn't hurt anyone.

I have had questions about every "feature" that has been blogged about this year and for each and every one of them, I have numerous unanswered questions. Those little live chat sessions just ain't getting it done. What happens when you got a lot of unanswered questions about something? You become more hesitant to purchase it. Now, I'm most likely gonna get it( after you guys get it and I find out all of the answers that I need), but I'm sure there are some that want answers, but won't be able to find them.

Also, this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolish813
Now we have Madden with robots in real uniforms, and Backbreaker with realistic movement dressed like robots. LOL!! You gotta love it! Hey we get what we ask for.
is too funny.

# 118 Valdarez @ 05/13/10 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
In past games, the defenders reacted WAY toooo fast.

Like they'd be fooled by a misdirection but recover so fast that they tackle you for a lost.
Agree, that's why I asked for the additional sliders in an original post, to help give us more control over balancing the game.

# 119 djordan @ 05/13/10 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
This is why we need some type of community interaction here. I don't want them doing special blogs or anything for us, but someone should answer some questions. Now, they're probably going to have a Live Chat session on this, even though, this was already talked about in the NCAA forum and in a NCAA Live Chat session. I'm willing to bet the same questions will be asked as well. We need questions answered.

Right about this time, Ian or whoever should be here saying, "Calm down guys. This was played on rookie for an added effect. Here's some footage of it played on All Pro and All Madden and against multiple defensive fronts." That would put a lot of people at ease. I understand that some people were more than rude at times last year, but a few questions in a thread shouldn't hurt anyone.

I have had questions about every "feature" that has been blogged about this year and for each and every one of them, I have numerous unanswered questions. Those little live chat sessions just ain't getting it done. What happens when you got a lot of unanswered questions about something? You become more hesitant to purchase it. Now, I'm most likely gonna get it( after you guys get it and I find out all of the answers that I need), but I'm sure there are some that want answers, but won't be able to find them.
I agree..expect a "LIVE CHAT" about blocking next week..LOL.

# 120 greenegt @ 05/13/10 10:29 AM
MUCH better blocking than in the past. The CD guys seemed to enjoy the run game, so I'm hopeful that everything is tuned well on both sides of the ball, in the retail release.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.